Rotoworld: The NFL's Best GMs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Rotoworld: The NFL's Best GMs

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/46433/57/the-nfls-best-gms

Some posters here are not gonna like this list.....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Re: Rotoworld: The NFL's Best GMs

I'm one of the biggest BB supporters and I don't think he's the best GM. He is somewhere in the top 1/3 but not #1.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I've never contended that BB is the best but I've always said that he is effective at what he does. Alll I've ever asked for is an objective comparison between BB and the rest of the league.  Can't really speak to just how objective this eval is but it's at least an outside opinion. 

Oh, and I thought this quote from the link interesting:  Even the best GMs make mistakes.  And they were not even referring to BB.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

The goal if the GM is to get the coach the players he needs to field a team that can make it to the playoffs and compete for a championship year after year. Who does that better than Bill Belichick? The team has been to 8 AFC championship games and 5 Super Bowls with him as GM. Spoiled, entitled fans are the problem...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I know I've been critical of BB at times, but I still think he's near the top, primarily because of his ability to identify players who will complement each other well and play well together as a team.  His weakness, in my opinion, is that he seems to slightly devalue the need for elite individual talent.  Football is a team sport and coaching is a big part of a team's success, but having enough great athletes across enough positions is still critical to winning championships in my opinion. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Funny how the very first line supports what the smart and honest people have been saying for years. That tells you all you need to know.

"Being a good general manager can be as simple as finding the right quarterback."

The luckiest pick in NFL history; and BB is still riding that for all he's worth.

He remains the failed honcho from Cleveland who bargained inherited players from Parcells/Carroll and that luckiest pick ever, for a Hall of Fame jacket.

And those are the facts, despite how much the homers squirm to make it different.

Learn the game.

Now, make no mistake.....

I'm guaranteeing you that you will NEVER see another Lombardi as long as BB is GM.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

Alll I've ever asked for is an objective comparison between BB and the rest of the league. 

And I gave you what you asked for. But you didn't like the answer.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Also, who is Patrick Daugherty?  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Nobody.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Who are we?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

Who are we?

All equally reliable sources . . . which is to say, just a bunch of guys with opinions and not much else . . . 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

Who are we?

Our opinions matter no more than his.

But the facts do. And I'm sure you don't want to hear the facts again.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I know I've been critical of BB at times, but I still think he's near the top,

He's not. He's mediocre. If he was near the top he wouldn't have zero Lombardi's for the last 9 years.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

I know I've been critical of BB at times, but I still think he's near the top, primarily because of his ability to identify players who will complement each other well and play well together as a team.  His weakness, in my opinion, is that he seems to slightly devalue the need for elite individual talent.  Football is a team sport and coaching is a big part of a team's success, but having enough great athletes across enough positions is still critical to winning championships in my opinion. 

Have you ever thought that BB devalues elite talent because they are difficult/impossible to replace if they get injured or leave through free agency? If you want to compete year after year, you can't base your team on elite players, there just aren't enough of them. You have to base it on the abilities  of the average players in the league. If you do that then elite players aren't nearly as important to the success of the team.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

So the article bases the entire argument around winning, well that might skew things a bit in BB's favor since he has the GOAT QB and coach to help him in that regard. Honestly you replace BB the coach and Brady with 30 other coaches and QB's around the league and does anything honestly believe we'd be winning the way we are? That said I do think BB finds great depth pieces and will find a gem every so often but that puts him in the top half of GM's for me but not nearly #1 for the same reasons the article listed. Way to many low cost misses on FA's, honestly Pro posted a list of FA's since 08' and not a 1 worth his salt, and his hit rate on draft picks is average at best given the shear volume he has picked. It's funny everyone jumps up and down with these drafts saying how great they were and 3 years down the road of the double digit picks only 2 are left on the team for most of these drafts. That's a lot of wash outs. I've said it before, if having the coach means I need the Gm so be it I want the coach but I do wish he'd tweak it a little and spend a little more resources for the top 1/3rd of the roster instead of worrying so much about the bottom 1/3rd and flip his stance of taking low cost riskier players to have as starters and leave tha for depth guys instead invest a little more into the starters with less riskier guys.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:

Have you ever thought that BB devalues elite talent because they are difficult/impossible to replace if they get injured or leave through free agency? If you want to compete year after year, you can't base your team on elite players, there just aren't enough of them. You have to base it on the abilities  of the average players in the league. If you do that then elite players aren't nearly as important to the success of the team.

Yes, I actually think that's part of his calculation.  I think he's worried about losing flexibility.  Still, I don't think average talent is enough to win Super Bowls.  The Pats do have some elite players, Brady being the most obvious, and those guys are critical to the team's success. I just think there's an argument to be made that the Pats would be a stronger playoff team with two or three more top level players at positions where they are currently very thin, such as WR.  I'm not saying go hog-wild signing expensive guys, just tweaking the strategy to get one or two more top talents.  I really think that would get us over the hump.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Alll I've ever asked for is an objective comparison between BB and the rest of the league. 

No question, Babe, your objectivity is unimpeachable, at least from my perspective it is.  But others don't seem to think so.  Why is that, I wonder?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

No question, Babe, your objectivity is unimpeachable, at least from my perspective it is.  But others don't seem to think so.  Why is that, I wonder?

Closet Jets fan?

Babe Parilli - Jets

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Because they're dishonest.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to TravisBean's comment:

Brady lust.  The board knows the truth by now. If brady does not play so average in sb 42 or 46, this premise of his does not exist.

I'm going to have to put you and your 5 posts on ignore. You're stupid.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RushThePillPopper. Show RushThePillPopper's posts

Brady lust.  The board knows the truth by now. If brady does not play so average in sb 42 or 46, this premise of his does not exist.

sure sounds like a Crusty post. It's got his characteristic Brady bashing as well as the obligatory air of a 150 IQ idiot

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Is TravisBean Rusty? It's the typical kind of stupid name he likes to use.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

BB lust!  The board knows if BB were capable of rebuilding his D, and drafting receivers since the last SB win, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

You're  the only one who doesn't see and can't admit this, crusty.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

And the only trait that you possess that exceeds your objectivity is your diplomatic savoir faire.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

And the only trait that you possess that exceeds your objectivity is your diplomatic savoir faire.

I sense a lack of sincerity.

Sections
Shortcuts