Roughing the quaterback

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bsun70. Show bsun70's posts

Roughing the quaterback

Can we discuss the 2 ridiculous calls in tonights game? Is this how the game is going to be called for the rest of the year? I'm all for protecting the QB, but that was aweful.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

Re: Roughing the quaterback

In Response to Roughing the quaterback:
    [QUOTE]Can we discuss the 2 ridiculous calls in tonights game? Is this how the game is going to be called for the rest of the year? I'm all for protecting the QB, but that was aweful.
    Posted by bsun70[/QUOTE]
    It was a flippin joke, is this the NFL or flag football. That ref needed a forearm to his throat

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Easy, you can't touch the QB if your last name is wilfork or thomas.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Irony. 

How many Brady rules are there? 2. 

The Tuck rule and the Knee rule. Eventually we were going to have suffer from these calls. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bsun70. Show bsun70's posts

In Response to Re: Roughing the quaterback:
    [QUOTE]Irony.  How many Brady rules are there? 2.  The Tuck rule and the Knee rule. Eventually we were going to have suffer from these calls. 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

Both of those were in the rule book prior to Brady joining the league.

You are not allowed to hit the quarterback at or below the knees. At what point did Wilfork hit Edwards below the knees?? With his hands as he wrapped him up??

I don't want these ticky tack calls determining the outcome of games.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

The NFL has surpassed the NBA in organic fertilizer calls.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kickwax. Show kickwax's posts

The QB's in this league are big and relatively strong and the good ones do not go down easy.  What is a defender to do?  If he can't throw the guy around like AD did, the QB will either throw the ball away or get a short completion or worse scramble away and make a play that leads to a superbowl win.  If you are not going to call "in the grasp," than all hits have to be allowed. 

I get really pissed off when they throw a 15 yarder because some guys hand grazes the QB's head...isn't that why they wear helmets?  By the way, if you want to prevent injuries start penalizing and fining guys who's helmets come off during plays, other than being ripped off, there is no excuse for it, the guys just won't buckle their straps properly.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]Irony.  How many Brady rules are there? 2.  The Tuck rule and the Knee rule. Eventually we were going to have suffer from these calls. 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

This is just one of those dvmbazz comments that gets me going.

1. When did the Tuck Rule ever get named the Brady Rule? Did you know that they still call it?

2. You never could hit the QB (or any unprotected player) below the knee. The Competition Committee clarified the rule to state that a player on the ground can't lunge at the QBs lower legs unless he is blocked into him.  Which to me is a late admission by the NFL that the Pollard hit was illegal. Also, it certainly shouldn't have applied to Wilfork last night because he was never on the ground as the line let him go free because it was a screen and he didn't come close to Edwards' lower body. Horrible call. 

The rule clarification was dubbed the Brady Rule by the media. It really should be called the Pollard Rule because he is the hole who hit Brady. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I said this when the rule went into effect and I'll repeat it now:

Allowing the officials to make more, rather than fewer, judgment calls is only going to open the league up to more charges that officials are not impartial.

There was no roughing of any kind during Wilfork's sack, but I could see the flag coming a mile away as soon as Thomas wrapped Edwards up and began to turn, although I believe that penalty was ticky-tack as well.

I agree with the guy who said that in order for the flag football rules on the quarterback to have the desired effect (which we can only assume is to protect quarterbacks from breing breathed on too hard by defenders), it would be wise to revisit the "in the grasp" rule -- which was yet another fiasco which allowed officials far too much leeway in determing what actually constitutes "in the grasp." Last night showed us fairly convincingly that at least one of them doesn't know what knees are, so again, I favor rules that take discretion away from officials, rather than giving them more.

If the league really wanted to protect players the rules would reflect that equally for all players (not just quarterbacks). What the league really wants is more offense, as it believes (wrongly) that its fans want nothing but touchdowns . . .  and more touchdowns . . .  with maybe a few touchdowns thrown in for good measure.

ohhhh . . .

and touchdowns.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

I thought I heard the whistle blow before AD threw him to the ground.  It was a careless mistake for a vet. 

Did AD get a second roughing call shortly later, when the Bills QB guy scrambled to his right and threw an incomplete pass out of bounds?  Cause right after that I looked up and it was 1st down somehow.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sonieboy. Show sonieboy's posts

[QUOTE]Easy, you can't touch the QB if your last name is wilfork or thomas.
    Posted by Grogan77[/QUOTE] The end zone call against Wilfork was a bad call but the one on Thomas slamming Edwards down was a good call. Thomas and the Pats must play smart. Wilfork I believe has a reputation as a cheap shot artist by the NFL officials and was called on his reputation rather than the merits of the play.
    On several defensive plays the Bills held but no calls, IMO the officials are attempting to bring more parity to those teams with lesser ability. In fact it decreases the image and reputation  of the NFL.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jaxxon. Show Jaxxon's posts

Thomas just should have stopped when he heard the whistle.

Wilfork left his feet to try to block a pass or tackle a quaterback.  Honest-to-God, what in the world is he supposed to do?  Stop in mid-air?  Not jump?

I can almost guarantee that the NFL will review the first call.  That was absurd.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from touchdownpats. Show touchdownpats's posts

If the refs are going to be calling games this way I think I'll start watching something else. MAybe the QBs should wear a uniform that has a green area specifically designed to show the defenders where to hit. The "no hit" penalty area will be in red. That should clear it all up. Obviously the only area you will be able to make contact with the QB will be the size of the head of a pin.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from h11. Show h11's posts

The only handle this is fine the ref for teh Wilfork call, but that will never happen

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pamola707. Show Pamola707's posts

the call on thomas was correct....the whistle had blown as thomas was wrapping up edwards...play over....there was no need to throw edwards to the ground at that point...unbelievable how gruden, trrico and jaworski all missed that 1 as they were whining about the call as well...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Sonie, I agree with you.  Wilfork's rep caused that call + it was a wide open launch at the player.  That said it was a mid-section hit and should not have been called. 

The QB slam I understand.  The whistle had blown before the movement to take him down had even begun.  You could have seen this call if the player with the ball was either an RB or a WR.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]I thought I heard the whistle blow before AD threw him to the ground.  It was a careless mistake for a vet.  Did AD get a second roughing call shortly later, when the Bills QB guy scrambled to his right and threw an incomplete pass out of bounds?  Cause right after that I looked up and it was 1st down somehow.
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

No, he didn't. The announcers were wondering if he would (They didn't think he should but they were along the same lines that the calls were borderline at best.)

They showed the replay and Thomas does push Edwards as Edwards is throwing in the process of throwing. I don't think Edwards went down though.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]I said this when the rule went into effect and I'll repeat it now: Allowing the officials to make more, rather than fewer, judgment calls is only going to open the league up to more charges that officials are not impartial. There was no roughing of any kind during Wilfork's sack, but I could see the flag coming a mile away as soon as Thomas wrapped Edwards up and began to turn, although I believe that penalty was ticky-tack as well. I agree with the guy who said that in order for the flag football rules on the quarterback to have the desired effect (which we can only assume is to protect quarterbacks from breing breathed on too hard by defenders), it would be wise to revisit the "in the grasp" rule -- which was yet another fiasco which allowed officials far too much leeway in determing what actually constitutes "in the grasp." Last night showed us fairly convincingly that at least one of them doesn't know what knees are, so again, I favor rules that take discretion away from officials, rather than giving them more. If the league really wanted to protect players the rules would reflect that equally for all players (not just quarterbacks). What the league really wants is more offense, as it believes (wrongly) that its fans want nothing but touchdowns . . .  and more touchdowns . . .  with maybe a few touchdowns thrown in for good measure. ohhhh . . . and touchdowns.
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

The thing is that it was a clarification of an existing rule. The clarification said that a player on the ground cannot lunge at the QB below the knee. The exception being is he is blocked or fouled into the QB.

It is as if they added a sentence to any to any existing law that included something that was already included in the law.

"Drivers must not travel faster than the posted speed limit. CLARIFICATION: Drivers with mustaches must not travel faster than the posted speed limit unless they are being pushed by another car."

And, they still got it wrong.

I actually thought the flag was for grounding at first as I saw nothing wrong with Wilfork's hit. It was only after Wilfork started reacting...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from cousteau. Show cousteau's posts

Didn't see the Wilfolk play but the Thomas call was spot on. The whistle had blown and he purposely picked up the QB and used his body weight to twist and slam him into the ground. That call has been made for years so just because it was against TB doesn't make it wrong or BS. If (or when) Brady gets slammed like that later in the season, all you whiners can jam it

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

A few years ago, a Giants player had Vince Young wrapped up or in a position where he could have blasted Young or...I don't remember the exact circumstance...but he let up because he was afraid he'd be penalized. Young took off and scored.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

I believe the original rule - after the Carson Palmer hit - was that you could intentionally hit a player at or below the knee unless blocked into the QB. 

I believe the Brady rule is actually new in that a player cannot lunge at a QB from the ground.   They may crawl or stand and continue their pursuit, but not lunge to hit.  The Palmer rule was more about player coming from an upright or standing position and intentionally "going low".

I'd imagine the NFL will say something about this call.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwiegmann24. Show cwiegmann24's posts

I agree I thought it was for grounding. When they replayed the hit it showed Wilfork hitting him at his waist, and I couldn't believe the call. Edwards had barely gotten rid of the ball when Vince hit him. Thomas's hit was a penalty, but he had guts to shove Edwards again a few plays later, seeing how the refs were calling it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3461184. Show user_3461184's posts

Good recall, Yapple. When you watch some of the QBs stand there and refuse to go down, what's a denfesive guy supposed to do? Big Ben (I can't spell his name) is prime example number one. Five guys hanging all over him, still can't bring him down because nobody is delivering a blow for fear of the flag. I think if they let them take a few licks, they'll stop doing it on their own.

Anybody understand why the crackback block by the Bills didn't get called? Favre got a penalty and a big fine for the same block. Looks like another year of inconsistent calls. Just hope they even out in time, like hockey penalties.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from existentialparquet. Show existentialparquet's posts

I believe that both were terrible calls for many of the reasons already stated. It makes it tough to watch the NFL with stupid stuff like that going on. I don't care when the whistle was blown because the QB was already wrapped up and in the process of being brought down (to me a veteran player finishes a play--not a dumb mistake). Let 'em play. That first one was the worst late hit call I have ever seen.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BernieCarbo75. Show BernieCarbo75's posts

I didn't hear the whistle on the AT sack, so I thought it was a good play the entire time. I'l ltake your words on it though that the whistle had blown. The Pats need to be smarter than that--especially with a questionable D product right now.

Sections
Shortcuts