Rumor Mill, Pats looking to trade up.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Re: Rumor Mill, Pats looking to trade up.

Don't discount Jordan. It the PATS want him they indeed need to move up. Plays the 3/4 now. Tall, long and not exactly "light" at 287 with room to grow.

I could live with it. As long as it ain't Ingram.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4695219/10-possible-patriots-cameron-jordan

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Well it's Mike Reiss writing a blog for ESPN Boston. Not saying it's true but simply a could be. Your comment that Bill may shock us all is more likely as that's what he usually does. Did Jordan come in for a visit? It seems like the ones that come in are never drafted. An outside line backer like a Willie McGinest would work. Again, not sayin' Jordan is but that would be how he would be used. Didn't Jordan get warned at the Senior Bowl to stop beating the snot out of players on the offense? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

Everyone thinks up from 17 or down from any of the first 3.  What about trading up from 28 or 33 to the high teens or early 20's?  I think it would be great value to have 3 picks between 17 and 25 for instance, and probably have the picks in rounds 2 and 3 to get it done.  How about solder, watt, and ayers, or something similar.  Why pick 1 of the 3 "solid" value choices, when they have the picks to get 3 stud type players.  We don't need 9 new young bodies, but 3 at positions of need would certainly be something...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In Response to Re: Rumor Mill, Pats looking to trade up.:
    [QUOTE]Whether or not a Robert Quinn is deemed this for NE, who knows.  Quinn probably won't last to 17. 
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]
    A lot of what I have been seeing is Quinn is slated to go to the Browns at number 6.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

what if they are trading up to get julio jones at 10. they will trade their 28th pick for a second this year and a first next year with tennessee if the qb tennessee is looking for is still there.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

I think it's fair to say that OLB would be the first target yes?

May I also throw this out there. The PATS are only trying to move up enough to get ahead of Miami to get Aldon Smith before them. Another highly rated pass rusher from the OLB position.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]Everyone thinks up from 17 or down from any of the first 3.  What about trading up from 28 or 33 to the high teens or early 20's?  I think it would be great value to have 3 picks between 17 and 25 for instance, and probably have the picks in rounds 2 and 3 to get it done.  How about solder, watt, and ayers, or something similar.  Why pick 1 of the 3 "solid" value choices, when they have the picks to get 3 stud type players.  We don't need 9 new young bodies, but 3 at positions of need would certainly be something...
    Posted by fl+adam,[/QUOTE]

I would support this idea, and I think it a good one, if we knew for sure Mankins and Light would be back. Add Kaczur to that list, and with Neal retiring, we have some serious turnover along the OL. We'll need those 2nds and 3rds to draft a couple/few. Unless of course we see some gems in rounds 4-6...I don't trust a totally overhauled OL to 4th-7th round picks, even if we used one of 17, 28 or 33 on an OT and even with the great Dante at the helm. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

won't hapen. too many great players between #17, #28 and #33. plus a #10 would be too pricey for BB's taste

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]I didnt get this report from ESPN Hang-On, I do not watch that crap of a network. I got it from Sports Tonight with Mike Felger. And I dont really want Jorden myself thats just what they said, they think that with his size and speed, he ran a 4.7 40 that he could be the next Willie Mac. And I guess he has told teams that he has dropped into coverage in the past with out issue. But I just dont buy it. I like JJ Watts, thats who I want to draft. I also Like Kerrigan as a pure pass rusher but in order to be a high draft pick you cant just be a pass rusher you got to be able to play a well rounded game. I think BB could shock us all and do something none of us see coming.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life[/QUOTE]

I think Jordan given his size and speed, assuming he can play OLB, could be a very versatile player. Same with Kerrigan. Kerrigan as you may know tested out as high or higer in every category than Quinn and  everyone is saying Quinn is supposed to be some superstar athlete?...child, please. Add 4 years of solid production to Kerrigan, not a whisper of any character concerns, and Kerrigan should be our target at 17 or slight trade up. 

MB called Kerrigan back in September, and after 5700 posts on a thread he started, I'm buying Kerrigan lock, stock and barrel. The kid just is a football player, great athlete, ultra-productive, gives us a pass rush, and also can play in his natural 4-3DE spot when we are in sub-packages, which is a lot of the time....He just makes sense..at least to me.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I don't think Cam Jordan is worth the move up. Quinn might be, but I hate evaluating players like him. I can say this though, he is not a Gholston. He has natural pass rush moves that most big pass rush busts (who typically relied on pure physical advantage) simply don't have. 

Watch his first step ... the technique is perfect, he sets OL players up with his feet, and finishes them with his shoulders. It's not guaranteed he will be great at rushing the passer, but on film he looks like most natural talent in that regard this season.

The bigger questions (there are always doubts about anything) about him are based on whether such a green player can learn the other aspects of playing OLB. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]I don't think Cam Jordan is worth the move up. Quinn might be, but I hate evaluating players like him. I can say this though, he is not a Gholston. He has natural pass rush moves that most big pass rush busts (who typically relied on pure physical advantage) simply don't have.  Watch his first step ... the technique is perfect, he sets OL players up with his feet, and finishes them with his shoulders. It's not guaranteed he will be great at rushing the passer, but on film he looks like most natural talent in that regard this season. The bigger questions (there are always doubts about anything) about him are based on whether such a green player can learn the other  aspects of playing OLB. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

I would agree with your analysis on Jordan and Quinn...if it came down to a decision, would you make the move up to 10 for Quinn, or sit tight at 17, maybe slight trade to 15 to grab Kerrigan. How do you compare the 2?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rumor Mill, Pats looking to trade up. : I would agree with your analysis on Jordan and Quinn...if it came down to a decision, would you make the move up to 10 for Quinn, or sit tight at 17, maybe slight trade to 15 to grab Kerrigan. How do you compare the 2?
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

I don't know right now, to be honest. I hate large trade ups. Sure, fans on sites will throw out "dream" scenarios where NE trades up seven spots by tossing crumbs at someone like a third, or fourth and garbage. But it likely costs a whole second and something else later on, or a first, with extra garbage in there to make it to ten. 

At that point, the question would be Kerrigan and player X from round two, in my mind. 

I take Kerrigan and stay put I think. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]You mention trade up for quality and I agree. I also think this is the year you select players that can learn quickly in positions that are easier. If you get Quinn to pin his ears back and rush the passer on obvious passing downs, that makes sense. Lets say you get a receiver....that would be a bad idea in my opinion this year. No time to work with the QB and develop a rhythm. Offensive line, running back, rush LB.....those could help this year....QB, WR, CB....not sure they would ever see the field. Anyone agree or am I way off?
    Posted by mcboyd22[/QUOTE]

If there is in fact limited time in training rookies there are a number of considerations each team will need to make individually. Clearly QBs will be impacted as will WRs in getting both the system and chemistry with the QB. But some teams will have more leeway in letting players develop and some players will just naturally develop/learn quicker. This particular issue is not a matter of talent but more of football IQ and complexity of an offensive or defensive system. Some teams, like Patriots, might be able to give certain package assignments to rookies that best fit what the individual is ready for and so get what they can of the best from that player while other teams try to throw a rookie into the starting lineup or rotation in full and so they will suffer through more rookie mistakes.

So I do not see it as clearly one or another but it is an issue that should be accounted for.

Another angle to this is in trade value of draft choices. A team like the Pats could trade up or down in order to take advantage of a team that has overvalued either side of the equation. The trade up or down for the Pats then depends on who is giving up too much either trading up or down.

So on the one hand I agree with your view but I do not see it so black and white but simply another complexity that BB might be able to take advantage of.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CanadianPat. Show CanadianPat's posts

The rumour is now Pats going after the Tennessee pick #8 ... if the PLAYER they want is still there.

IMO given that it is possible that the MYSTERY PLAYER could be there at 8 means its: Fairley,  Julio or Alden Smith.  No chance Petersen or Quinn are there at 8.

I would guess IF this rumour has anthing to it, it has to be Fairley; IF he can play 3-4 DE? Can he?  He is a beast, and he is one mean son of a b....

Frankly, I would rather stay at 17 for Watt or Jordan ... IMO either is a great 17 pick and one of them should be there at 17.  I prefer Jordan ....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Yeah, Fairly might be another guy you move up for in their eyes. I certainly think he is the best big man on the board. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CanadianPat. Show CanadianPat's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, Fairly might be another guy you move up for in their eyes. I certainly think he is the best big man on the board. 

I feel like an idiot .... the rumour is the Pats trading their 28th to Tennessee so Tenn can get their QB .... Pats get Tenn's 2011 2nd R and 2012 1st R

My mistake ....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rumor Mill, Pats looking to trade up. : I feel like an idiot .... the rumour is the Pats trading their 28th to Tennessee so Tenn can get their QB .... Pats get Tenn's 2011 2nd R and 2012 1st R My mistake ....
    Posted by CanadianPat[/QUOTE]

I read that too. That makes more sense. A #28 overall for #40 AND a #1 somewhere would be a heck of a deal. You don't lose much in talent, and you get two picks. I would do that in a second.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rumor Mill, Pats looking to trade up. : I read that too. That makes more sense. A #28 overall for #40 AND a #1 somewhere would be a heck of a deal. You don't lose much in talent, and you get two picks. I would do that in a second.
    That would be awesome. I think it was Peter King who came up with it though so I don't put a lot of faith in that rumor, especially considering Jonathan Kraft's reaction to trade possibilities on ESPNBoston today.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

I love all these possibilities dealing with getting the next Willie McGinnest, down DE and OL w/ coverage skills, which would solve all the D problems.

" Good coverage = sacks,   Great rush = picks"

I can only say that these guys are few and far between. Thank goodness the Tuna saw him #3?. BB is from that tree so if we trade up .. that could be the guy!Is that guy available at 10?

who were those guys since... Demarcus Ware (Parcels' draft) and Merriman( FA?) ?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rumor Mill, Pats looking to trade up. : That would be awesome. I think it was Peter King who came up with it though so I don't put a lot of faith in that rumor, especially considering Jonathan Kraft's reaction to trade possibilities on ESPNBoston today.
    Posted by KyleCleric2[/QUOTE]

Silly rumor, picks are for Krafts.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

One'assee hopes that two'assee years from now we'll be three-assee days be-fore'assee a draft in which we'll be drafting top-five'assee and deep-six'asseeing every other team's long-term optimism of super bowl seven'asseeth heaven, because the Patriots ate'assee'd the rest of the league in winning the Superbowl, and now have nine'assee elite prospects to chose from high in the first round, because of the candy-stealing trade with tennassee. Hi five! i see...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nepats51. Show nepats51's posts

if pats move up, it better be for a quinn, peterson, jones, a bigtime stud!!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rumor Mill, Pats looking to trade up. : I read that too. That makes more sense. A #28 overall for #40 AND a #1 somewhere would be a heck of a deal. You don't lose much in talent, and you get two picks. I would do that in a second.

It'd be a great deal, but would Tennesse do it? I doubt it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rumor Mill, Pats looking to trade up. : That would be awesome. I think it was Peter King who came up with it though so I don't put a lot of faith in that rumor, especially considering Jonathan Kraft's reaction to trade possibilities on ESPNBoston today.
    Posted by KyleCleric2[/QUOTE]

Yeah Kyle,

I'll also add that I've grown lazy following rumors. This 'rumor' could merely be sourced from some podunk writer speculating this ina  column. 
    We've seen it happen before. And it is almost too good to be true ... a future first and high second for a low first? It's happened before, but would have to be a fleecing unless the guy Tenn picks up because the next John Elway or something. 

That said, you are right. Lol. Take that deal in a heart beat. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

i dont believe in any rumor involving the pats right now...but if it is true, its got to be for quinn.