Rumors

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Re: Rumors

Brady's Patriots future could get complicated

Views
    Comments

Tom Brady's deal expires after the 2010 season, and this is the closest he's come to the end of a contract since becoming a Patriot in 2000. Peyton Manning is headed for a contract year as well, and Colts owner Jim Irsay said an extension is "a given." Brady's never been one to siphon every last dime. But with the possibility the Colts once again could reset the market for quarterbacks in an uncapped environment, this one could be complicated.

Boston Globe

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Seau retiring again?

Views
    Comments

Looks like Junior Seau is prepared to leave football behind once again. On a taped episode of Showtime's Inside the NFL Seau tells Cris Collinsworth last week's game was probably the last of his 20-year career.

Boston Globe

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Ravens' Reed may retire

Views
    Comments

Baltimore Ravens safety Ed Reed is considering retirement after an injury-filled season. The 31-year-old Reed missed four December games because of a variety of injuries, including problems with his neck, hip and groin.

Associated Press

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Merriman, Jets owner on outs with Tila Tequila

Views
    Comments

Shawne Merriman discussed the bizarre link between him, Tila Tequila and Jets owner Woody Johnson's late daughter, Casey. One thing Merriman has in common with the owner of the Jets is that he wants nothing to do with Tequila, whose real name is Tila Nguyen.

New York Daily News

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Browns rethinking Shaun Rogers?

Views
    Comments

This week, President Mike Holmgren will lead meetings with the coaches and new General Manager Tom Heckert in a detailed examination of the roster. A talking point will be Shaun Rogers. A question will be, "Why did the run defense improve after Rogers was injured and replaced by Ahtyba Rubin?" The current coaching staff believes Rogers has a tendency to "free-lance," not sticking with the scheme and covering the middle of the line.

Cleveland Plain Dealer

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Boldin won't request trade

Views
    Comments

Anquan Boldin told me as he walked out of the Arizona locker room that he will not request a trade this offseason. "No," Boldin told me following Arizona's 45-14 loss to New Orleans said. "I'm going to let it play out." Boldin is under contract to Arizona for the 2010 season at a scheduled pay of $3 million. It is the final year of his deal. And considering he's a 1,000-yard caliber receiver, he believes he has been underpaid for some time and wants the deal redone.

Miami Herald

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Does Tomlinson want Chargers return?

Views
    Comments

When asked if he wanted to return to the Chargers next season,LaDainian Tomlinson paused for several seconds, his face shifting through a series of expressions as fluidly as he once changed gears, only to finish with an irresolute, "I can't tell you that right now." He knows the decision is not really his and that this time the willingness to renegotiate may have no bearing on management's decision. He knows, too, that he has made contractual concessions and accepted reduced playing time without the anticipated payback of a Super Bowl.

San Diego Union-Tribune

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Law open to Broncos return

Views
    Comments

The one-year deal Ty Law signed with the Broncos back in early November officially expires at the end of February, but Law said he has spoken with Broncos coach Josh McDaniels about the possibility of returning to the Broncos in 2010.

Denver Post

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Browns to part with Stallworth

Views
    Comments

The Browns have no intention of bringing back receiver Donte' Stallworth when his one-year suspension is lifted by Commissioner Roger Goodell after the Super Bowl. It will be the first major decision on a player to be made by the new Brownsregime of President Mike Holmgren and General Manager Tom Heckert, and it will not be a hard one.

Cleveland Plain Dealer

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Will Bears keep Ogunleye?

Views
    Comments

The Bears have a decision to make. They are expected to let defensive end Adewale Ogunleye test the open market to gauge his value. He has said he would like to return, and their need for a defensive end has been heightened after the death of Gaines Adams. The question is, what kind of money is going to be there for Ogunleye, who will turn 33 in August?

chicagobreakingnews.com

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Updated: January 24, 2010, 11:33 PM ET

Johnson: Solid connection

Patriots DL coach popular with players for his experience, energy

ReissBy Mike Reiss
    ESPNBoston.com
    Archive

When New England Patriots defensive lineman Vince Wilfork talks about being coached by Pepper Johnson over the past six seasons, one of the main aspects he appreciates is the connection between coach and player.

Wilfork says he sometimes forgets that Johnson is a coach because his passionate, energetic approach almost makes it seem like he's on the field with them.

"He is a player's coach and a big part of that is that he actually played the game," Wilfork said. "A lot of things happen on the field, and because he's been in the same predicament as us, he understands exactly what we see and how blocking schemes develop. It's real easy to play for a coach like that.

"It also makes it a lot easier for a group of guys in a room, when somebody is talking to them about playing a certain technique, or a fit here, when it's coming from a guy who has done it. So those are different people -- the Xs' and O's and then somebody talking X's and O's who has played the game and understands it, like Pepper."

Johnson's coaching credentials are under the spotlight this offseason as Patriots coach Bill Belichick considers how to fill the team's vacant defensive coordinator position. If Belichick stays in-house, the two leading candidates are the 45-year-old Johnson and 35-year-old linebackers coach Matt Patricia.

[+] EnlargePepper Johnson
    AP Photo/Winslow TownsonPepper Johnson, a Patriots assistant coach since 2000, could be ready to step up to defensive coordinator.

Wilfork believes Johnson would be a great choice after working his way up the Patriots' ranks -- first as assistant linebackers coach (2000), then inside linebackers coach (2001-2003) and most recently as defensive line coach (2004-2009).

"Playing under him, I want to see him as coordinator, I think he deserves it," Wilfork said. "He has all the tools to be one."

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

Unfortunately, I watch the Browns every week. I don't know what makes us think that every player on the planet might come here but if we had Cribbs and Rogers, we'd win the next 5 Super Bowls in a row.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

I just went by ESPN's rumor mill and it had something in regards to Pats trading one of thier No.2's for Boldin. 

Anybody heard that rumor?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Pats to trade a No. 2 for Boldin?

10:45AM ET
    Anquan Boldin | Cardinals | Interested: Lions?, Patriots?,Buccaneers?, Jaguars?, Panthers?, Dolphins?, Chiefs?, Ravens?
    WRs possibly on the move

Almost a month ago, NFL Insider Adam Schefter said "this is the yearAnquan Boldin gets traded," on "Sunday NFL Countdown" and the speculation has been rampant since. During a spot on ESPNEWS a week ago, ESPN's Michael Smith noted that the "price tag is probably lower" for Boldin, with the emergence of Steve Breaston and Early Doucet, coupled with Boldin's age and proneness to injury.

So what is that price tag? Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic writes that the Cardinals will approach this offseason with more realistic demands: "Last spring, the best offer the team said it received was a third-round pick and a player. My hunch is the Cardinals would consider that offer more seriously this season." New England Patriots blog Musket Fire argues that the Pats should trade one of their second round picks (they've got three) to grab him.

If Bill Belichick doesn't pull the trigger, some other WR-needy teams that would make sense from a speculative standpoint are the Bucs, Chiefs, Dolphins, Jags, Lions, Panthers and Ravens.

Mike Sando

Clock ticking on Boldin's trade value

"Boldin is entering the final year of his deal. An injury to Larry Fitzgerald or Steve Breaston would severely affect depth if Boldin weren't around. But the closer Boldin gets to the end of his deal, the more the Cardinals should try to get good value in return if possible. It's not like Arizona is going to re-sign him to a lucrative long-term deal."

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

Thanks Nick!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

a 2nd rounder for Boldin is too much....Offer them AD plus a fourth.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from haldager. Show haldager's posts

I think they can get D. Stallworth much cheaper and he already know the system.

I thnik they should use their money and picks in pursuing K. Dansby, J. Taylor, Peppers and L. Sheppard instead.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Auchhhhhhhhhhhhh....I think that is a Mexican flag in your picture, but I could be wrong...
    Anyhow, the Pats don't have a 3rd round pick next year, but they do have 3, 2nd round picks in case you are interested in knowing.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

After maligning the Patriots O-line for much of the season,I stand corrected ! They were amongst the elite in protecting the QB and not commiting penalties. I do think they need an upgrade at LG and LT,the LT they already have in Vollmer,the guard could be answered from within also by either switching one of the excess tackles or by just promoting Orhnberger or Connally,Kaczur or Light can probabl;y make the switch but they would also make good trade bait..As for WR if Vincent Jackson becomes a FA the Patriots would be foolish not too try and sign him. Though all the early indicators have the Patriots waiting to see what happens with Antonio Bryant. I'm excited to see how the Senior bowl plays out as there are some interesting players in both camps. As much as I can't stand what LaGarrette Blount did in the game with Boise State,he has been a bright spot for the North squad in practice so far,another RB who might come out of obscurity could Lonyae Miller from Fresno State as he has looked fairly impressive so far.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Zeoli42. Show Zeoli42's posts

Pats to move in on Dansby? can anybody get the link off of espn rumor

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Zeoli42. Show Zeoli42's posts

Pats to take Wilfork replacement? get the full story off of espn rumor please

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Brad and Angelina...Splitsville. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

In this uncapped year, dozens of small-market teams are cutting everybody in sight.  Many are lowering their team salary requirements from over $100 million to more like $60 million.  The easiest way is to dump their falling stars. 

If the Patriots, possibly the most profitable franchise in the league, want to spend $200 million on stars, they can do it this year.  Note that the top 8 teams in the league are frozen out of this market.  Many stars will see the Pats, at least 10-6 for the last 9 years in a row, as the only available contender.

In addition, all sorts of 2010 Patriots free agents will discover in this uncapped year that they can only sign with the Patriots in the NFL.  There is always the Canadian Football League, but they pay close to minimum wage.

Expect a truly crazy offseason, and a very good one for the Krafts.  If BB likes em, Jonathan Kraft will sign em.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"Brad and Angelina...Splitsville."

Lol...Good Stuff, I live for sh#t like being spaced-out, scrolling down the page and gettin' a good 1 liner comic interlude...definately the splitsville that made it. 

~Also, I don't know if I should add this here or where?  But they're actually thinking of unearthing Michael Jackson's grave.  I can only assume, it might be to see if it wasn't in fact a faked death in order for some reprieve due to several tough years of nasty publicity.  Maybe there's something hidden in his burial site or If they might attempt to do something crazy, like carbon-copy some of his DNA...not really sure and to be honest hate to speculate, because all I saw was that headline-cover in the grocery aisle just now.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

The rumor I heard is that the person in Jackson's grave is actually Vincent Price.