Run Blocking

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

Re: Run Blocking

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

I remember guys on this very thread questioning the o line and its depth all year. They were also questioning this lines capability to run block. I guess they have their answers.

Champ, I call it like I see it.  I saw a lot of bad blocking early in the season, especially from Wendell and Connolly.  Yesterday was different.  I can't wait to watch the film once it's available, but I really think Cannon is a difference maker on the right side.  I also think Hoomanawanui and Develin had big days.  I'm not sure because I haven't seen the film, but it strikes me that Cannon and the TEs and FB took some pressure off Wendell and Connolly and maybe even freed them up to get downfield a bit.  I'll know more once I see the film, but it seems to me Develin, Cannon, and Hoomanawanui really stepped up yesterday and made the guys around them all better. 

Solder and Mankins were also playing possessed.  Solder in particular seemed much more aggressive than he has recently. 

There's no doubt that the lost of Gronk had a lot to do with this new strategy. I do think this new runnning game started during the Ravens game and that the smash mouth attitude and momentum carried into the Bills game. That last offensive series against the Ravens was also special against the 11th run defense in the NFL. It was one of those football moments when they had to kill the clock and everyone knew including the Ravens defense that the Patriots were going to run the ball but they couldn't stop them. There's no doubt that the rain kind of forced them into the running game against the Bills but what they did against that Ravens defensive line had to have been a big factor and confidence builder heading into the Bills game. 

Normally the Patriots offense tries to identify their opponents weakness and they at least try to exploit it whether it be the defense is light and running a lot of nickel and dime packages so run it or they know certain defensive backs can't cover their receivers which in the past was a given.

Do they feel that the blocking and running game has improved enough and feels confident enough to just force the issue? If nothing else it certainly would open up the passing game.

Here's the where the 3 possible teams they might play in the Divisional round stand in run defense:

Bengals - 5th 96.5 yards/game

Colts - 26th 125.1 yards/game

Chiefs - 22nd 120.2 yards/game

Lot's of folks are saying they'd like the Patriots to face the Bengals but I think they may match up better with the Colts. Unfortunately that may not happen.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I dont think Cinncinnati's run defense is as good as advertised. Shoot, cleveland and pitt are tied for 27th ranked rush offense,  only to be outdone by the ravens 30th(ray rice and Bernard pierce are terrible). So cinci did what everybody does against those teams but got to do it twice!

. Then they played Miami at 26th, and detroit 17th. They played Minnesota but with no AP, and Greenbay with no eddie lacy.

They played us when we benched Ridley, unfortunately this was one of our coaching mistakes in terms of game plan and falling back on Brady too much..  In terrible weather,  and never down by more then a score, we decided to throw 38 times for 18 completions 197 yards, zero tds, 1 int, and 4 sacks..... despite Blount and Bolden running 17 times at 4.5 ypc. Perhaps if we used the Baltimore and buffalo game plan, we would be 13-3 right now and have home field throughout the post season!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Film still not out, but here's a closer look at Ridley's big run.  Look at the blocking here.  I think it shows a lot of why the Pats were so successful. 

At the snap--I formation, with TE on left side and two receivers to the right. 

Wendell gets on his block right away

Look at Mankins and Solder driving out on the left side

Now Cannon and Connolly define the hole with Develin ready to lead through it

Develin coming through the hole, with Edelman looking for someone to hit (next two images)

Develin and Edelman find their targets (and look at Hoomanawanui now coming downfield to the left side) . . .

Ridley coming through and not letting the attempted arm tackle slow him down . . .

Develin and Edelman create a second hole downfield . . 

Which Ridley finds . . . 

Ridley finds the opening (and note Hoomanawanui now getting back in the action) . . .

And is off to the races (with a little help from Thompkins) . . 

Notice how everyone is involved and how they block aggressively at the LOS and keep blocking all the way down the field.  Great play here. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bradysgirlforreal. Show Bradysgirlforreal's posts

In response to PhatVirgin's comment:

the run blocking was very good yesterday - as reflected by Blounts numbers.

Take the game with a grain of salt though - as  a HUGE assist goes to the rain.

Ran well against the Ravens also - no rain? I think Cannon is a better run blocker than pass blocker-too slow with fast DEs on the outside?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

Agreed.

I thought Cannon was very, very, good and they seemed to run to his side a lot.

I also think we may be  seeing a shift that hasn't been seen for 10+ years - this group may be better at run blocking than pass protection.

Quite possible.  I thought they all looked much better run blocking this game.  I've watched film of other games where they ran similar plays with similar personnel and they haven't looked nearly as good, so maybe some of this has to do with the defensive line they were facing and the scheme the defense played, but there's a real possibility they're just getting better at run blocking with the increased emphasis on it.  With their decimated receiving corp, running needs to be a bigger part of their offense, so maybe the coaches are really focusing on it. There definitely were some new wrinkles to the blocking scheme, with Cannon being much more active than I believe I've seen.  

Good Morning Pro... were you at the game yesterday? If you look at the caoches film this week I would be interested to know how many times they used Cannon to pull across the formation? I noticed it a couple of times.

Ghost . . . here's one for you--the Blount 39 yard TD run.  Cannon pulled on that one.  Putting him over to the left side with Mankins and Solder really creates a powerful group of blockers.  Look at the drive Mankins gets on this one, too.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Here's a stuffed run.  Mankins is out.  And Kline, Wendell, and Connolly all get blown up.  Not really blaming those guys, but this is one the defense wins by attacking right up the middle of our O line. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

Herald captured a lot of what was said here on the running game that has developed:

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2013/12/patriots_start_playoff_run

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

Agreed.

I thought Cannon was very, very, good and they seemed to run to his side a lot.

I also think we may be  seeing a shift that hasn't been seen for 10+ years - this group may be better at run blocking than pass protection.

Quite possible.  I thought they all looked much better run blocking this game.  I've watched film of other games where they ran similar plays with similar personnel and they haven't looked nearly as good, so maybe some of this has to do with the defensive line they were facing and the scheme the defense played, but there's a real possibility they're just getting better at run blocking with the increased emphasis on it.  With their decimated receiving corp, running needs to be a bigger part of their offense, so maybe the coaches are really focusing on it. There definitely were some new wrinkles to the blocking scheme, with Cannon being much more active than I believe I've seen.  

Good Morning Pro... were you at the game yesterday? If you look at the caoches film this week I would be interested to know how many times they used Cannon to pull across the formation? I noticed it a couple of times.

Ghost . . . here's one for you--the Blount 39 yard TD run.  Cannon pulled on that one.  Putting him over to the left side with Mankins and Solder really creates a powerful group of blockers.  Look at the drive Mankins gets on this one, too.  

Thanks Pro, good stuff! based on all the photos you have posted another thing that sticks out is the blocking down field by the WR's... They really seemed to be able to hold their blocks creating the oppotunity for big runs.

Keep the posts coming I really enjoy the breakdown of line play and when you are at the game it is difficult to really notice the details.

The Pats O-line seems to be getting tremendous confidence in the run game. They are now using different schemes and techniques within games to confuse front 7's. It really is to bad Gronk got hurt... i believe it was 2 games before he got hurt they had enough confidence in his health they has installed the wham block on the NT in the game plan with him coming in motion and blocking down.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Thanks Pro, good stuff! based on all the photos you have posted another thing that sticks out is the blocking down field by the WR's... They really seemed to be able to hold their blocks creating the oppotunity for big runs.

This was huge.  The WRs were really engaged in the running game.  Also, Hoomanawanui and Develin had big games.  Really it was like having seven offensive linemen at the LOS.  Then everyone (WRs, TEs, FBs, OLs) were getting downfield and blocking.  This must be a huge point of emphasis for the Pats now.  I think BB probably told the team that with all the injuries to the receiving corp, the team needs to focus on running well and make that a priority.  Assuming he said this, the whole offense seems to have responded.

Keep the posts coming I really enjoy the breakdown of line play and when you are at the game it is difficult to really notice the details.

Yeah, even watching on TV it happens so fast you miss much of it.  That's why I really love having this film.  Every game becomes a week long activity.  I hardly watch TV anymore!

The Pats O-line seems to be getting tremendous confidence in the run game. They are now using different schemes and techniques within games to confuse front 7's. It really is to bad Gronk got hurt... i believe it was 2 games before he got hurt they had enough confidence in his health they has installed the wham block on the NT in the game plan with him coming in motion and blocking down.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Now that the coaches film is out, look at the endzone view of the blocking on that Blout 30+ yard TD run.  Look at the wall set up by Cannon, Solder and Mankins. it's really great to see the quality of blocking in this game.  I don't want to get too carried away--the Bills don't have the most dominant run defense and conditions weren't perfect for the defenders maybe--but there's a lot to be encouraged by. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Blount ran very well, but we've got to give the run blockers a lot of the credit too.  I can't wait for the coaches film to come out on this so I can really watch what they did, but it seemed to me from the TV feed that Cannon had a tremendous game.  I also noticed they pulled him a lot . . . which is something of a wrinkle, since I haven't seen them pull the tackle like that before.  Getting him over to the left side with Solder and Mankins created a monster push.  I also thought all the TEs (all three played) and Develin made huge contributions.  And Connolly, who is someone I've often criticized, seemed very good too.  It's hard to judge completely without looking at film, but initial impressions are that the run blocking really picked up a notch this game.  Can't wait to see if they can continue that aggressiveness through the playoffs.

Blount passed the credit along himself too. I think Mankins deserves some tremendous credit here. He has played on an injured ankle and filled in admirably at tackle while he was at it. 

Still, it would be nice to see that blocking show up against a great run defense ... where it did not show up against any of the better run defenses NE faced. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from melswitts. Show melswitts's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:

I like this type of thread; insightful comments, all about football.  No sniping, personal vendettas, trolls, name-calling, or de-railing. Bravo, good work guys.

Hopefully others will take notice.

thank you for noticing Laughing

Because I dont want you to know I'm the biggest NY Jets Troll in the world!!!!!

"you wanna go where everybody knows your name"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

Blount ran very well, but we've got to give the run blockers a lot of the credit too.  I can't wait for the coaches film to come out on this so I can really watch what they did, but it seemed to me from the TV feed that Cannon had a tremendous game.  I also noticed they pulled him a lot . . . which is something of a wrinkle, since I haven't seen them pull the tackle like that before.  Getting him over to the left side with Solder and Mankins created a monster push.  I also thought all the TEs (all three played) and Develin made huge contributions.  And Connolly, who is someone I've often criticized, seemed very good too.  It's hard to judge completely without looking at film, but initial impressions are that the run blocking really picked up a notch this game.  Can't wait to see if they can continue that aggressiveness through the playoffs.

Blount passed the credit along himself too. I think Mankins deserves some tremendous credit here. He has played on an injured ankle and filled in admirably at tackle while he was at it. 

Still, it would be nice to see that blocking show up against a great run defense ... where it did not show up against any of the better run defenses NE faced. 

I think that's true Z.  I've been watching the film all year and these last two games (and particularly the Buffalo game) have been very different from what I've seen in the past.  I'm wondering how much of that difference is because of what the Pats are doing and how much is because of the differnences in the defenses. 

Happy New Year!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tydog. Show Tydog's posts

I havent seen much of KC but NE should be able to run against anyone in the AFC playoffs, even the Bengals. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Like Baltimore? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Like Baltimore? 

Baltimore did play a bit soft, though.  Cinncinati and Cleveland and Miami were more aggressive.  Defenses that attacked our line more aggressively did better against us.  We'll see.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Like Baltimore? 

And their wicked 12th ranking against the rush? They are not the same Baltimore that stuffed NE all over the place in the playoffs last season. Ray Lewis, Ellerbe, and Reed were losses in that department. 

No. I mean like Cincy, the Jets, and the Panthers ... the teams NE absolutely couldn't get tough yardage against. 

And without Gronkowski ... it's all going to be tough yardage underneath from here on out unless they figure out how to get defenses to commit downfield. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

The Bengals have the only decent run defense still playing in the AFC, unless you want to count the Broncos. The NFC teams are much stronger.

Rushing Yards Allowed - Playoff Teams

Panthers 2nd
    49ers 4th
    Bengals 5th
    Seahawks 7th
    Broncos 7th
    Eagles 10th
    Chargers 12th
    Saints 19th
    Chiefs 22nd
    Packers 25th
    Colts 26th
    Patriots 30th

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fidd. Show Fidd's posts

You can't ignore the obvious with this game. Blount had a career day against some awful linebacking play. Yes our line played very well. No doubt. Especially our T's. They moved DE's off their spot on the los and did a great job blocking on the 2nd level. Eliminating any threat from a backer. They did a very nice job. Stood their ground, did the pushing and moving. Great in pass protection and very good in run blocking.

Blount was on fire though. It was a career day, people will be talking about when he retires. He had almost 100 yards after contact and made several bills defenders miss tacles. Ran hard, using his legs to turn a short gain into 8-10 yards. He showcased all his talents last week. Ran for power and used his quick feet to cut back for some really nice gains. He put it all together. Lets keep riding the horse!

Also, as I said above the bills backers were awful. Slow to diagnose and react, missed tackles, and couldn't shed our lineman on the 2nd level. Its Dec so as usual Bills fans are in mid season form, in terms of draft talk. Theres a lot of talk of getting their franchise QB Thad Lewis some weapons, but they have serious holes elsewhere. Probably not smart to draft a WR/TE in the top ten, but who are we to argue with greatness?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Like Baltimore? 

Baltimore did play a bit soft, though.  Cinncinati and Cleveland and Miami were more aggressive.  Defenses that attacked our line more aggressively did better against us.  We'll see.  

Well, if cle, cinci, and miami were better against us it didn't show in the rushing results.

Cle held our power runners to 16 carries for 77 yards a 4.8 ypc average. Was cle really better  against the run? Or were we busy passing fifty two times? Hey, lets give us a break here, as we were down by an insurmountable 1 score in the 1st half.

Miami did mop the floor with our running game. 19 carries by blount and Ridley for 81 yards, a paltry 4.3 ypc. Some would call that pretty good but not to us. We did manage to get off 53 pass att's against the team who let up the 3rd least passing tds this season. The disparity in passes to runs is probably due to us leading for over half the game.   

Then of course we have Cinci.  They held Blount and Bolden(rid benched) to 17 carries for 75 yards.4.5 ypc. It was a rain storm, like the recent pats ravens game. We did go ahead and throw 38 balls for 18 completions a 5.6 yards per catch, 1 interception and 4 sacks. Brady had a 16 QB rating. We were only down by 3 for most of the game.

Could these be games where we fell back on Brady when we really didn't need to? What if we used the same plan that we did in baltimore where we actually were less effective with yards per at 4.2 on 31 carries for blount and rid? Might we be 13-3 and looking at home field through out?

Running helps our offense. We have the best o line coach in football, run the ball! No, don't run only, dont even run more then pass unless the situation calls for it like the last 2 games, but don't throw 55 times to 18 runs and expect to win, without any redzone threats. happy new year 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

The Bengals have the only decent run defense still playing in the AFC, unless you want to count the Broncos. The NFC teams are much stronger.

Panthers 2nd
    49ers 4th
    Bengals 5th
    Seahawks 7th
    Broncos 7th
    Eagles 10th
    Chargers 12th
    Saints 19th
    Chiefs 22nd
    Packers 25th
    Colts 26th
    Patriots 30th

Broncos and Chargers have decent run D's but Tb can sit back all day on both and throw for 400 easy. we could score 35 easy vs both those D's with the right gameplan

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Well, if cle, cinci, and miami were better against us it didn't show in the rushing results.

Cle held our power runners to 16 carries for 77 yards a 4.8 ypc average. Was cle really better  against the run? Or were we busy passing fifty two times? Hey, lets give us a break here, as we were down by an insurmountable 1 score in the 1st half.

Miami did mop the floor with our running game. 19 carries by blount and Ridley for 81 yards, a paltry 4.3 ypc. Some would call that pretty good but not to us. We did manage to get off 53 pass att's against the team who let up the 3rd least passing tds this season. The disparity in passes to runs is probably due to us leading for over half the game.   

Then of course we have Cinci.  They held Blount and Bolden(rid benched) to 17 carries for 75 yards.4.5 ypc. It was a rain storm, like the recent pats ravens game. We did go ahead and throw 38 balls for 18 completions a 5.6 yards per catch, 1 interception and 4 sacks. Brady had a 16 QB rating. We were only down by 3 for most of the game.

Could these be games where we fell back on Brady when we really didn't need to? What if we used the same plan that we did in baltimore where we actually were less effective with yards per at 4.2 on 31 carries for blount and rid? Might we be 13-3 and looking at home field through out?

Running helps our offense. We have the best o line coach in football, run the ball! No, don't run only, dont even run more then pass unless the situation calls for it like the last 2 games, but don't throw 55 times to 18 runs and expect to win, without any redzone threats. happy new year 

Champ, believe me, our coaches know what they are doing and they don't just pass willy nilly like you seem to think.  Really, you've got to stop just looking at end-of-game averages and run-pass ratios.  They can be misleading.  Look instead at actual runs.  Are they getting a high percentage of runs of 5, 6, 7 yards like they were against Buffalo?  Or are a large percentage of the runs for either negative or minimal yardage?  If the latter, the running game is not working well, even if they break a few for longer yardage and thereby pull their average up. 

I watched the film of all those games.  Believe me, there was a noticeable difference in the productivity of the running game between Buffalo and Cinncinati.  To run effectively and run alot you need to avoid long yardage situations.  If you keep finding yourself in those long yardage situations, you're going to pass more.  It's necessary to get first downs. 

Belichick and McDaniels really do know how to game plan and call plays.  They are doing the right thing.  Sure, they'll maybe make a questionable call on a play or two a game--no one's perfect--but there's no systemic problem with the play calling or the run-pass balance.  These guys are good. Really. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

Panthers 2nd
    49ers 4th
    Bengals 5th
    Seahawks 7th
    Broncos 7th
    Eagles 10th
    Chargers 12th
    Saints 19th
    Chiefs 22nd
    Packers 25th
    Colts 26th
    Patriots 30th

The Bills were the 24th worst against the run game to put this in perspective.  A good defensive line in the past anyway has been krytonite for the Pats O-Line on a consistent basis.

One game at a time.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

so, how good is the current OL? Better at run blocking vs. pass blocking or just a mirage?

http://www.boston.com/sports/blogs/goingdeep/2014/01/patriots_take_2_rb_blount_bill.html

Great article and thanks for sharing. Not sure why the offensive line has improved so much this past month. Other than Cannon replacing Vollmer it's the same players that's played together for the past several years. It could be the development of Cannon that is the difference in that by having the entire line doing a decent job at run blocking it allows the Patriots run game to go right or left with pulling linemen from either side giving them more options and keeping the defensive lines honest.

Or maybe because they've always had decent offensive weapons for a few years they never had to focus so much on run blocking. Or maybe it's a combination of having Blount, more reps, and the development of the line. What ever it is I hope they keep it going!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

It's hard to tell exactly what's making them better.  The Bills game was some of the best run blocking we've seen in years.  A few things are different, I think:  

• One, Cannon really seems to be playing well in the run game.  He's extremely active as a blocker, often hitting multiple targets on a play and getting downfield quickly after the runner gets past the LOS.
    • All the other blockers also seemed very active to me against Buffalo. They were all hitting LBs at the second level after their initial blocks at the LOS.  The energy level seemed turned up a notch.  
    • I wonder if the coaches are just making running the focus of offensive practices now? With the decimated receiver corp (really we've got Edelman as our only "go-to" receiver now), the coaches know that Pats are going to win or lose based on how well they run.  So maybe it's just what they're devoting most of practice to now. 
    • I also think you have to give credit to Hoomanawanui, Mulligan, and Develin who all blocked well.  Even the WRs were really effective blocking against Buffalo.  Again, I suspect there's been some intense emphasis put on running in practice because everyone seems to be blocking with renewed energy.
    • We can't completely rule out the defenses.  The Bills defense looked bad and has been bad against the run all year, so some of the Pats' success could be at least partly the result of poor defensive play.  The Ravens defense, though, is stouter against the run.  At the same time, the Ravens did seem to play a bit soft. They weren't attacking the LOS and seemed to be a bit conservative and reactive.  Maybe they were expecting and fearing the passing game more.
    • Against some of the other recent teams (Miami, Cleveland) and earlier in the season (Cinncinati, for instance), the run blocking was much less effective.  In those games, the defensive front seven (and safeties at times) were far more aggressive, attacking the LOS and collapsing or closing holes.  It's hard to say whether this was better defensive talent, better defensive scheming, or just less aggressive offensive blocking on the part of the Pats.  I suspect it's a little bit of all of that.  We'll just have to see how the match-ups and game situations play out in the playoffs. 

Sections
Shortcuts