Run defense: what's the solution?!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Run defense: what's the solution?!

Epic win. I lost my voice. I still have a major concern though: our run defense. I know we have key injuries but that won't stop the opposing team from running it down our throat in January. I'd like to pose a question to some of you more intelligent posters here: how do we fix that?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Re: Run defense: what's the solution?!

Get some guys like Wilfork, Kelly and Mayo... 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Once Spikes knee gets better that will help.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Ask the other team to PASS more........Sealed

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

The run defense was fine given the game situation.  We were playing like 6 guys in the box on every down with 2 rookies at DT.  We made enough stops when we had to.  BB rope-a-doped Manning just like he did to Kelly and the Bills in SB 25.  Manning never got into a rhythm throwing and they couldn't make the plays in the passing game when it counted.  If it weren't for the turnovers I think the defense would have been the story of the game.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

It kept Manning from passing...  remember, Carolina was supposed to be a BETTER rushing team and the Pats held them to 102 yards with 62 by Newton.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Vellano is wearing down.  I'd like to see him used as a sub-only down the stretch. Give Siliga a start or two off the practice squad.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cellucci. Show cellucci's posts

can Hightower play DT?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Consider this.  In regulation the Broncos only had 2 drives that went for over 35 yards. Yeah they gave up 200+ yards rushing but overall it was pretty effective if not for the turnovers that gave the Broncos short fields.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Our run defense problem is not nearly as bad as our Ridley problem.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

This run d is historically bad. Make all the excuses about wilforkand kelly... the run d was already awful.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

In response to MeadowlandMike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This run d is historically bad. Make all the excuses about wilforkand kelly... the run d was already awful.

[/QUOTE]

J-E-T-S. Jets. Jets. Jets?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How did the Jets do yesterday, troll?  Or did you just happen to miss it again because you were watching re-runs of Jersey Shore?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Bwahahahaha.  Get lost troll.  Your team sucks.  Your pass defense is hilariously bad.  Did you enjoy watching old man Reed get torched again on deep balls.  LMFAO.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to apdynasty23's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Epic win. I lost my voice. I still have a major concern though: our run defense. I know we have key injuries but that won't stop the opposing team from running it down our throat in January. I'd like to pose a question to some of you more intelligent posters here: how do we fix that?

[/QUOTE]

It's not THAT bad. You have to take it with this grain of salt: if a team with Demaryus Thomas, Welker, Decker, et al wants to hand the ball off, you just let them and make some tackles. 

Granted ... I don't think Denver is the type of offense NE will struggle with, rather teams like Seattle and Carolina will be more vexing. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

The 3 main critical cogs for stopping the run game are out for the season.  You can't fill their shoes with rookies, you can't make adjustments or schemes to fix that problem.  We are going to get run on.  All we can hope for is that our D can cause enough turnovers and our O can score enough points to make it a non factor. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I liked what DMC said after the game about staying focused on defending the pass no matter how many times they ran it. Sounded like they were coached not to adjust as Peyton is too good if you are out of position on D. I would like to see Forston get a chance to play an entire game. He looke like more of a run stuffer to me.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So you see, the team with the ball, the O F F E N S E m gets 4 tries to make 10 yards. If they cannot the other team takes a turn having the ball. But when a team has tried 3 times and has one more try left they often P U N T the ball so that while they are giving the ball to the other team it will be given to them much further from the G O A L   L I N E. And remember Meadow (pretty name) that is the line you want to get past in order to score a T O U C H D O W N.

Now I would suggest you watch the NEw England Patriots play some games. They play the game better than other teams. They dont always have the very best team but not only are they always good they play the best and smartest football of all the teams. On the other hand if you watch a few Jet games you will eventually see many of the bad or even stupid things some teams do.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Radioactive/Toxic waste site Mike, looking forward to your report on the Jets power ranking progress this week. I hope it is as epic as the "20 spots" thread that you created a couple of weeks ago.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

It can only be adjusted form not fixed till we get some players on the field. Vinny and Kelly and Mayo are critical. FA or draft might help somewhere (o line and D line perhaps).

I do think some of this last night was having the focus on stopping the pass. But there were too many times the DTs got abused. Hightower... who I like very much, had some very bad plays but in part because the O line had easy shots at him due to poor D line play.

Also... Spikes often looked like he was protecting himself some. So he should be more of a help if he recovers before the games are over.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So hows that Rex thing goin for ya Meadow? Any new QBs to be your saviour? Did the big bad boys not let your team play nice this week? Its OK. THose other teams are just a bunch of bullies. YOu and the team should just ignore them and go have some fun. Maybe go to McDonalds. Or watch some TV. Maybe watch some football. I bet you could watch the Pats in the playoffs this year. Maybe you would like that. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

The run defense was 9th in the NFL when Wilfork and Kelly were still healthy, but we we're also the 2nd best defense overall in the NFL; the Jests tool has no clue what he's talking about.

That being said, we are really bad against the run, currently we rank 31st in rushing attempts against, 31st in rushing yards and 26th in yards per attempt.  The drop from the top ten is because of the loss of Vince and Kelly.  DT is the only weakness on this defense.

That being said we are still the 9th best defense in the NFL, substantially better than our last two Super Bowl appearances when we were ranked 15th and we still can improve.  Our pass defense is really good even with all the injuries and rotating guys in and out.  I think if we can find someone to replace Vellano as a starter our defensive rank could start rising again...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

the Jests tool has no clue what he's talking about.

[/QUOTE]

The guy is a certifiable idiot.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

both your teams won their superbowl this year.  leave our forum

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

I think the run was part of the gameplan.  Take the ball out of PM's hands.  Bend but don't break defense.

Sections
Shortcuts