Run defense: what's the solution?!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Re: Run defense: what's the solution?!

In response to MeadowlandMike's comment:

This run d is historically bad. Make all the excuses about wilforkand kelly... the run d was already awful.

The Jets as a whole is awful.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

In response to MeadowlandMike's comment:

This run d is historically bad. Make all the excuses about wilforkand kelly... the run d was already awful.

The JETS looked great against the Ravens. Just like when Jacoby Jones torched Ed Reed for tha TD. Look at the standings, guess who's 3 games behind NE with 5 to play.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Let's get this straight, the "gameplan" as it were, may have been to make stopping the run secondary to stopping the pass, that doesn't mean they allow the opposing offense to run all over them.  With Vince and Kelly in there, with the same exact gameplan, the defense doesn't give up 200+ rushing yards to Moreno.  

Our DT's are non existent against the run, they get blown back, especially Vellano, and while they may be quick and capable of coverage sacks our kryptonite will be teams with big strong O Lines.  We are lucky we have linebackers who are quick to react and strong against the run but we're in danger of wearing Spikes down this way.  We have zero pressure up the gut unless it's coming from linebackers or stunts from our ends.

Big picture we'll have a hard time beating a ball control team like KC or Seattle in the playoffs, don't get me wrong we certainly can, but we'll have to beat them at their own game, playing the same ground and pound balanced game that won us three rings better than they do.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Big picture we'll have a hard time beating a ball control team like KC or Seattle in the playoffs, don't get me wrong we certainly can, but we'll have to beat them at their own game, playing the same ground and pound balanced game that won us three rings better than they do.

Eh?  We completely shut down Carolina's run game ignoring Cam's Tecmo Bowl runs.  There is no way we'd play such a light box against Seattle and certainly not against Alex Smith.  This game was SB 25 all over again.  BB rope-a-doped Manning.  The Broncos may have ran for 200+ yards, but they only had 2 drives over 35 yards in regulation.  We made stops when we had to.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Eh?  We completely shut down Carolina's run game ignoring Cam's Tecmo Bowl runs.  There is no way we'd play such a light box against Seattle and certainly not against Alex Smith.  This game was SB 25 all over again.  BB rope-a-doped Manning.  The Broncos may have ran for 200+ yards, but they only had 2 drives over 35 yards in regulation.  We made stops when we had to.

I think this gameplan works against Moreno, who is good but not a clear HR threat. It allows Denver to grind the clock for New England. The runs were grinding type runs.

It's likely not a great solution against teams with great defenses and dynamic, open-field backs. 

Denver, right now, is a mirror image of what Ne was a few seasons back ... they can pass really well, they can front-run, but they are not very good defending the pass, and I don't think they can run when it counts. 

If Manning and the Broncos want to hand it off, you let them. Give it to Moreno ... please. It takes the ball out of their best players' hands. 

If NE is playing Jamaal Charles and KC, however, I don't think you line up in Nickel for 90% of your snaps on defense. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to DeadAhead's comment:

That's what I said earlier. Were you even born by January of 1990?

I am 25 so yes.  I obviously did not see the game live in any way that I could remember.  I have watched replays of it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

I think this gameplan works against Moreno, who is good but not a clear HR threat. It allows Denver to grind the clock for New England. The runs were grinding type runs.

It's likely not a great solution against teams with great defenses and dynamic, open-field backs. 

Denver, right now, is a mirror image of what Ne was a few seasons back ... they can pass really well, they can front-run, but they are not very good defending the pass, and I don't think they can run when it counts. 

If Manning and the Broncos want to hand it off, you let them. Give it to Moreno ... please. It takes the ball out of their best players' hands. 

If NE is playing Jamaal Charles and KC, however, I don't think you line up in Nickel for 90% of your snaps on defense. 

If we play KC we will stack the box to take away Charles and force Smith to make plays with his arm.  I am not worried about KC.  Their defense is getting more and more ban ged up and they haven't looked as good against real QBs.  Hopefully they can take one from Denver in Arrowhead to put is in good position for the #1 seed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

What makes anyone here think the Patriots want to shore up their run Defense? How many passes did Manning not throw by allowing Moreno to run ? Could this have been the game plan? You never know what BB is really thinking.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

We couldn't make 3rd down stops when we had to against Carolina, not when Cam Newton ran, not when Mike Tolbert ran, not when DeAngelo Williams ran.  

We're not in danger of losing to the high flying offensive teams like Denver, but we're likely to lose in a low scoring, close game the way we did to Carolina.  

Ball control, smashmouth running teams can beat us, it's not the Saints who scare me...

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

If we play KC we will stack the box to take away Charles and force Smith to make plays with his arm.  I am not worried about KC.  Their defense is getting more and more ban ged up and they haven't looked as good against real QBs.  Hopefully they can take one from Denver in Arrowhead to put is in good position for the #1 seed.

Interesting. I wouldn't stack the box myself. At least not as an exclusive game plan. I think you DO have the talent to compete outside man-to-man, but those KC WRs are excellent downfield blockers. 

Personally, I'd shadow Charles. He is on pace for 1300-1400 yards rushing ... but importantly he is on pace to catch 75+ passes. He is Shane Vereen ... full time and a bit faster. He is a true every down back, and a threat to break a major play each time he touches the ball. 

The problem with stacking the box is it does leave you vulnerable to those screen plays or the instances when Charles splits out. Myself ... a combination of gap-discipline zone, and a RB shadow that forces KC to make plays to their WR outside if they can.  

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Who cares about 3rd down stops if you are doing everything else well?  I agree a turnover would have won us the Carolina game, but give Carolina credit. 
    Carolina got nothing on the ground vs our D.  Sopoaga is fine when we need to be a run stopping D.

Not concerned..

I think you're missing the point: BB just completely bamboozled Gomer. 

Third down stops in the playoffs are the difference between winning and losing.  Who cares?

I think you're missing the point, our goal isn't to win a lot of regular season games, the goal is to win a Super Bowl.  If you think there isn't a deficiency with this run defense than you're deluding yourself.  

We're ranked at the very bottom of the NFL after starting out at the very top, this isn't because we game planned it this way just to beat Payaton Manning, this is because our defensive tackles are backups and sub standard starters.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Interesting. I wouldn't stack the box myself. At least not as an exclusive game plan. I think you DO have the talent to compete outside man-to-man, but those KC WRs are excellent downfield blockers. 

Personally, I'd shadow Charles. He is on pace for 1300-1400 yards rushing ... but importantly he is on pace to catch 75+ passes. He is Shane Vereen ... full time and a bit faster. He is a true every down back, and a threat to break a major play each time he touches the ball. 

The problem with stacking the box is it does leave you vulnerable to those screen plays or the instances when Charles splits out. Myself ... a combination of gap-discipline zone, and a RB shadow that forces KC to make plays to their WR outside if they can.  

I should clarify a bit.  When I said "stack the box" I sort of misspoke.  What I meant was I don't expect them to play nickel with 2 deep safeties on every play against KC.  At the very least there will be more people near the LoS.  I think we agree that Charles is their entire offense so there is no need to play Alex Smith like Peyton Manning.  That's why the run defense in this game doesn't concern me as much against an opponent like KC.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Third down stops in the playoffs are the difference between winning and losing.  Who cares?

I think you're missing the point, our goal isn't to win a lot of regular season games, the goal is to win a Super Bowl.  If you think there isn't a deficiency with this run defense than you're deluding yourself.  

We're ranked at the very bottom of the NFL after starting out at the very top, this isn't because we game planned it this way just to beat Payaton Manning, this is because our defensive tackles are backups and sub standard starters.

The DTs are certainly a weak link on D, but I think it's safe to say that against teams that like to run we won't be playing nickel on every play of the game.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I got news for you....If we do run the table here and KC beats Denver, then KC fades and we get the 1 seed and the weather is like that here in January for Denver again.....Don't expect GOmer to be any better. 

So you're gameplan is to assume K.C. "fades?"  

I would rather find solutions to getting better which is what I assume BB is thinking as well considering he preaches to get better every week.  I hope AJ Francis or Siliga on the practice squad can contribute something.  

We could very well win the Super Bowl this year, not saying we won't, but if so I'll consider what BB has done with the D line on par with 2004 when Troy Brown was our nickel corner in the playoffs, some brilliant coaching will be needed to overcome what is the most obvious weakness on this team.

And I said the Saints don't scare me, not that they do scare me...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

The DTs are certainly a weak link on D, but I think it's safe to say that against teams that like to run we won't be playing nickel on every play of the game.

Agreed and a playoff caliber QB will exploit that, with his arm, feet or both like Cam Newton did.  

We can't stop 3rd down and short or even 3rd and five to save our lives, this will hurt us against well rounded teams.  If we win in the playoffs, they will be nail biters and our offense had better become as efficient in crunchtime as they were in the 2001-2004 Weis era.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Agreed and a playoff caliber QB will exploit that, with his arm, feet or both like Cam Newton did.  

Cam is a one of a kind talent.  There is no other QB in the NFL that could make some of the plays he did against us.  If we see him again it will be in the SB so I wouldn't worry about it too much!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I should clarify a bit.  When I said "stack the box" I sort of misspoke.  What I meant was I don't expect them to play nickel with 2 deep safeties on every play against KC.  At the very least there will be more people near the LoS.  I think we agree that Charles is their entire offense so there is no need to play Alex Smith like Peyton Manning.  That's why the run defense in this game doesn't concern me as much against an opponent like KC.

Gotcha. I think Gregory, though, might not a be a bad option.

I just don't think of Charles as a stack the box runner. 

It all depends on how KC plays it too ... oddly, with Reid as their coach, they are sometimes too conservative in my opinion. 

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts