Run the Damn Ball

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caliberink. Show Caliberink's posts

Run the Damn Ball

The patriots need to start running the football. I understand taking the ball out of Tom Brady's hands is a bad decision, but they need to make the defense at least respect the run. Too many times now, they come out passing, get down in the game, realizing that their passing is getting picked up on, THEN they begin to run the ball.  They had success in the 3rd quarter and then gave up on it and started throwing again. It just seems as though they're throwing out of arrogance to some extent. It was a tough loss because of the penalties and turnovers, but in general I think they need to start running more.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FLY2K. Show FLY2K's posts

Re: Run the Damn Ball

I agree, Riddley looked better than BJ running the ball.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Yes, Riddley looked strong and BJGE never really got enough toches to get going but he still moved the pile. And a good running game keeps your D off the field for longer rests.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

what, you didn't like Edelman?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfitone. Show kjfitone's posts

yes i agree, hopefully after this one it will sink in. they can throw as well as anybody but doing it over and over eventually makes it less effective and causes turnovers and hits on the qb. ridley looks like a good back, let him run.  they have no balance, and are very predictable. ..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

Look those Raiders running game !!!!  awsome !!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

In Response to Re: Run the Damn Ball:
    [QUOTE]what, you didn't like Edelman?
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii[/QUOTE]

The RB or WR? lol

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Get a lead, run the ball, it's a passing league now, but that's still solid game planning and great advice.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from gatech34. Show gatech34's posts

I agree. This offense is getting too predictibale like the 2007 offense. Soon other teams will start to pick up on how to stop the pass and we will be screwed. They should of kept running the ball before halftime but they threw it and TB got his 1st pick. Bad play calling.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

When the game was going well in the first half (21 to 0), TB was still passing away with abandon. Things started to sour when there was a couple of interceptions (tipped ball of Woodhead and Oh No's failing to cut back and gain position), and Buffalo got close. Then he really had to force the throws and got 2 more picked off.

I wonder when things were well in hands, how come we did not use the running game more?  Might it be that TB is letting all the Hosanna press got to his head, thinking that there is nothing that he cannot do, and he wants to set a few more records ?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coolguy55220. Show Coolguy55220's posts

You are wrong!
    RUN THE DAMN BALL BETTER.
    That doesnt mean you have to stop passing. We need better play calling, i dont like o'brien at all. Use Ridley and Vereen, they will be great. We do not mix up well at all... When something works, the playcalling becomes very bland, they just keep going back to it, and then it gets abandoned when it stops working... WELL DUH!
    Can we please mix up some runs, draws, play actions, catches out of the backfield INTO THE GREAT PASSING GAME!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

They have not been effective running the ball.  Through 3 quarters they had about 50 yards on the ground at 3 yards per carry.  More often than not they get stalled when they try to run. 
    Today they twice had 2nd and 1 runs called back on Mankins holding calls.  If you run the ball  you need a 4+ yard/carry average and you can't be getting these kind of penalties.  They got bailed out on the 2nd penalty by a Brady 4th down TD PASS.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]They have not been effective running the ball.  Through 3 quarters they had about 50 yards on the ground at 3 yards per carry.  More often than not they get stalled when they try to run.  
    Posted by nyjoseph[/QUOTE]

Yes. And that happens often. 

Most people just say ... well ... run it more. They are missing the fact that if TB12 isn't putting up points the defense won't stop anyone. 

It's essentially a footrace every game unless the defense improves rapidly. That counts Bodden, who stunk today, McCourty who stunk today (and all season), both of those no-name safeties that couldn't carry Sanders' or Meriweathers' jocks, and the JAG olbs Nink and Cunningham. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Run the Damn Ball : Yes. And that happens often.  Most people just say ... well ... run it more. They are missing the fact that if TB12 isn't putting up points the defense won't stop anyone.  It's essentially a footrace every game unless the defense improves rapidly. That counts Bodden, who stunk today, McCourty who stunk today (and all season), both of those no-name safeties that couldn't carry Sanders' or Meriweathers' jocks, and the JAG olbs Nink and Cunningham. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

You've got a good point Z about the awful defense, but running the ball can eat clock and keep the defense off the field.  That's why they need to run more, especially once they've got a 21 point lead.  A nine-minute drive helps the defense even more than it helps the offense.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Run the Damn Ball : You've got a good point Z about the awful defense, but running the ball can eat clock and keep the defense off the field.  That's why they need to run more, especially once they've got a 21 point lead.  A nine-minute drive helps the defense even more than it helps the offense.
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

The Pats have the higher number. TOP has nothing to do with the defense stinking. The defense stinking has to do with the defense stinking. 

31:1528:45

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]I agree. This offense is getting too predictibale like the 2007 offense. ...
    Posted by gatech34[/QUOTE]

GETTING PREDICTABLE? they have been year after year since 2007! the only exception was 2008 when tb was out. the pats passing offense has been difficult to stop but everybody knows what's coming. teams try different ways of stopping it, eventually someone succeeds. one succeeds then everyone else learns.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Run the Damn Ball : The Pats have the higher number. TOP has nothing to do with the defense stinking. The defense stinking has to do with the defense stinking.  31:15 28:45
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

Yes it does, the defense would have less opportunity to stink if one of the highest scoring offense's in NFL history would dominate T.O.P instead of throwing 50 times per game out of a spread. Move Brady under center, use a power running back more often and utilize the skills of the greatest play action QB in the game.

It is not enough to score 30 ppg when you have one of the worst defense's in the league. You need to own T.O.P not just have a an even split every game. The play calling is inexcusable imo.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

here's the problem with this running/passing game -- no team in the league will take the pats runnin game seriously until the pats shows that it has the capability and is WILLING TO COMMIT to winning a ground-centric game. 

unfortunately, the team has neither. the offensive line was designed to protect tb - not to have an unpredictable offense. everyone knows that the pats will run the ball to try to create a mirage of a ground game, but they all know that is not how the pats will commit to winning the game. stop a few attempts and the pats are surely to abandon it. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

When you have a 21-0 lead near the end of the 2nd quarter and you HAVE the ability to run, statistically you should never lose that game.  Running the ball keeps the clock going, plays keep away from the opposing offense, to deny this goes against the very tenets of football.  Before there ever was a forward pass it was man power VS man power in the trenches running the ball.

Yes the game has changed, but not to that degree.  Passing 45 times and rushing it 22 times with your runningbacks is a recipe to lose! It's not a crazy hard mathmatical equation to figure out, 50/50 run to pass ratio is perfection, it's the most unpredictable.  60/40(run) is how the league is trending.

As far as the defense stinking, I think Belichick is playing a conservative, close to the vest defense in the regular season to keep D Linemen healthy, only using two at a time.  

I don't necessarily agree with it, as a fan I want to see them make a genuine attempt at perfection and win every game, but I'm sure the loss in 2007 stings BB, he probably second guesses himself, maybe if he had coasted earlier, played the young guys more minutes maybe, sat some older guys to rest on D, that his team would have gone undefeated. 

If we win it all I will say he's smarter than the rest of us once again, if he lets O'Brien pss it all away with unbalanced offense then we haven't learned anything since Charlie Weis left.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

When you have a 21-0 lead near the end of the 2nd quarter and you HAVE the ability to run, statistically you should never lose that game.  Running the ball keeps the clock going, plays keep away from the opposing offense, to deny this goes against the very tenets of football.  Before there ever was a forward pass it was man power VS man power in the trenches running the ball.

Yes the game has changed, but not to that degree.  Passing 45 times and rushing it 22 times with your runningbacks is a recipe to lose! It's not a crazy hard mathmatical equation to figure out, 50/50 run to pass ratio is perfection, it's the most unpredictable.  60/40(run) is how the league is trending.

>> it's not just overall splits at the end of the year. it's the split on plays that define a team's commitment to a balanced offense that is important. you could achieve 50-50 by running the ball when you ahve a big lead. that does not make the pats unpredictable, becasue people will still know that the pats will try to gain the lead through the air.

As far as the defense stinking, I think Belichick is playing a conservative, close to the vest defense in the regular season to keep D Linemen healthy, only using two at a time.  

>> i can buy this and i really hope you are right.

I don't necessarily agree with it, as a fan I want to see them make a genuine attempt at perfection and win every game, but I'm sure the loss in 2007 stings BB, he probably second guesses himself, maybe if he had coasted earlier, played the young guys more minutes maybe, sat some older guys to rest on D, that his team would have gone undefeated. 

If we win it all I will say he's smarter than the rest of us once again, if he lets O'Brien pss it all away with unbalanced offense then we haven't learned anything since Charlie Weis left.

>> o brien looks like he's good for designing plays in temrs of xs-os, but not good at when to apply them on tough games. it's also possible that they just don't have the opffensive line to run a ground game. that is a bb problem.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]... />> o brien looks like he's good for designing plays in temrs of xs-os, but not good at when to apply them on tough games. it's also possible that they just don't have the opffensive line to run a ground game. that is a bb problem.
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]

there is hope in cannon

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Run the Damn Ball : You can't run "better" when teams are forcing you to pass by taking away the run.
    Posted by Patsfansince1966[/QUOTE]

Wait, you think defensive coordinators WANT Brady to throw it more? I don't think anybody is trying to take away the run. I see it as direct opposite, they are using 5-6 d-backs and trying to take away the pass. The run is there.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

They moved the ball at will for most of the game. The lost because of bad red zone turnovers and horrible defense. If they kick fieldgoals instead of turning it over in the red zone they win this game. Buffalo had no trouble moving the ball at the end of the game. The pats defense could not have been too tired on that final drive after letting the Bills go 90+ yards in less than a minute on the previous one. Until late in the fourth quarter the pats running backs weren't doing much at all. In fact in the red zone their running game was awful. They should have passed it more. They do not have a great runner. I like Green Ellis but Brady opens it up for him and not the other way around. The offensive game plan was fine the execution of it much less so. The Bills celebrated like they won the superbowl just like the Broncos did a few years ago after the Patriots blew a lead. We'll see how good they are by the end of the season. 

Sections
Shortcuts