Run the Damn Ball

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Re: Run the Damn Ball

In Response to Re: Run the Damn Ball:
    [QUOTE] They moved the ball at will for most of the game. The lost because of bad red zone turnovers and horrible defense. If they kick fieldgoals instead of turning it over in the red zone they win this game. Buffalo had no trouble moving the ball at the end of the game. The pats defense could not have been too tired on that final drive after letting the Bills go 90+ yards in less than a minute on the previous one. Until late in the fourth quarter the pats running backs weren't doing much at all. In fact in the red zone their running game was awful. They should have passed it more. They do not have a great runner. I like Green Ellis but Brady opens it up for him and not the other way around. The offensive game plan was fine the execution of it much less so. The Bills celebrated like they won the superbowl just like the Broncos did a few years ago after the Patriots blew a lead. We'll see how good they are by the end of the season. 
    Posted by ccnsd[/QUOTE]

we've been saying for four years that we do not have good running backs. the problem is the OL. the reason is either of two things or both...
    1) they are not built to run block
    2) each OLman is so afraid of giving up a sack to the all-important TB. truth be told, giving up an injury-causing hit on tb is more of a career killer for an OL than poor run blocking (rb gets the blame anyway) --> OLs work hard protecting tb, take it easy on run blocking 

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Run the Damn Ball : But it's hard to run when the opponent is looking for it.  There are so many wanna be football ex-spurts here it's moronic.
    Posted by Patsfansince1966[/QUOTE]

Moronic is thinking out loud that opposing teams aren't looking at Brady as a viable first option.  

The fact they HAVE to respect Brady makes running easy as evidenced by Ridley's 6.2 YPC average late in the game.  The Bills committed to stop the run early and got carved up, they were dropping everybody but the ballboy back into coverage by the end, apparently it worked because we didn't adjust.

Not choosing to run is differen't than not being able to, you can't throw interceptions if you aren't throwing... but you're smart so you know that.

Forgive us for having opinions master of what is acceptable to discuss here, please correct us with your incredible wisdom and wordplay whenever you're feeling magnanimous.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Run the Damn Ball : Wait, you think defensive coordinators WANT Brady to throw it more? I don't think anybody is trying to take away the run. I see it as direct opposite, they are using 5-6 d-backs and trying to take away the pass. The run is there.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

"they are using 5-6 d-backs and trying to take away the pass. The run is there"

IF YOU HAVE A DANGEREOUS BACK IN THERE. ( ridley, maybe vereen).
    ridley has demonstratede he was the best all aoround back from the tme he stepped on the field. we still havent seen wht vereen could do.)
    say it again, bjge is a hrd worker, bu the is limited in skills and should be our #4 back for depth.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Run the Damn Ball : The Pats have the higher number. TOP has nothing to do with the defense stinking. The defense stinking has to do with the defense stinking.  31:15 28:45
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

Z, I agree that the defense was the biggest problem, but I do think going to the run (assuming we have an effective running game somewhere) would have helped the Pats.  If nothing else, it would have given Brady a chance to settle down when he started throwing interceptions.  It also may have extended our TOP, giving Buffalo less time to mount a comeback.  I'm in agreement that the D is a much more serious problem now, but when our passing game sputters (for whatever reason), we don't seem to have a running game to fall back on and that has hurt us repeatedly over the past few seasons. 

But, yes, stopping the pass is our biggest problem.  Our pass rush and pass coverage are just atrocious. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

[QUOTE]When you have a 21-0 lead near the end of the 2nd quarter and you HAVE the ability to run, statistically you should never lose that game.  Running the ball keeps the clock going, plays keep away from the opposing offense, to deny this goes against the very tenets of football.  Before there ever was a forward pass it was man power VS man power in the trenches running the ball. Yes the game has changed, but not to that degree.  Passing 45 times and rushing it 22 times with your runningbacks is a recipe to lose! It's not a crazy hard mathmatical equation to figure out, 50/50 run to pass ratio is perfection, it's the most unpredictable.  60/40(run) is how the league is trending. As far as the defense stinking, I think Belichick is playing a conservative, close to the vest defense in the regular season to keep D Linemen healthy, only using two at a time.   I don't necessarily agree with it, as a fan I want to see them make a genuine attempt at perfection and win every game, but I'm sure the loss in 2007 stings BB, he probably second guesses himself, maybe if he had coasted earlier, played the young guys more minutes maybe, sat some older guys to rest on D, that his team would have gone undefeated.  If we win it all I will say he's smarter than the rest of us once again, if he lets O'Brien pss it all away with unbalanced offense then we haven't learned anything since Charlie Weis left.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

WOZZY...Spot on. Leading 21-0 late in the qtr; run the ball,take time off the clock and even if you only get 3 pts you don't leave the Bills much clock .This is the worse game the Pats have played in the Belichick era considering the 21-0 lead. PERIOD.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

Running the ball with a 21 point lead and milking the clock all sounds great in theory. 
    In practice the running game is not what it used to be.  You must be able to sustain drives, move the chains, and avoid penalties (2 on Mankins on 2nd and 1 running plays) in order to take meaningful minutes off the clock.  There is no room for error when you run it at a 3 yard average.  You would see far more 3 and outs with a running-centric attack with this group. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Run the Damn Ball : The Pats have the higher number. TOP has nothing to do with the defense stinking. The defense stinking has to do with the defense stinking.  31:15 28:45
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

ZBell, I commented to you that the Bills would be big trouble.  Agree that we have poor secondary and BB many ill advised choices with players like Sanders& Merryweather and perhaps even Butler have not helped. 

That said IMO - we need to blitz much more often, as many teams do to help the back four.  All the rules favor the receivers and QBs in todays NFL circus air show type game and the only effective anecdote is pass ruch coming from unpredictable angles/positions. 

Jets,Giants,Steelers,Ravens,Packers and many other good teams feature this kind of D. We need some giddyup here abd stop being so passive,  We are geyying torched deep in passing game with are too passive approach as it is, so why not get after the QBs more aggressively and send more pass rushers?

Your LSU boy Ridley showed well in limited action yesterday.  Care to comment about him as a player you know from LSU?  Aklso, where is this guy Shane Vereen - any sightings of him this season?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ReeGzUSMC. Show ReeGzUSMC's posts

The thing is, I can understand if you abandon the run if you are too far behind, too late in the game ( which the Pats were not ), or if the running game is just not working at all....But I saw no struggles in the run game yesterday...Woody and Benny were getting at least 3-5 yds a carry, and Riddley looked pretty good himself....makes no sense to me..

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

The running game is a foreign concept to the Pats. Their running game is smoke and mirrors to set up play action. That's the way it has been for years. Also, LOL at the person claiming teams are gearing up for the run to have the Pats pass more. That's a good one.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

What Ive been saying for 3, 4 years now. PUT BRADY UNDER CENTER!!!!

I dont care how many times you throw.  The idea is the element of surprise. Our offense is so much better with the threat of a run.

You can come out in the shot gun spread and put up 21 quick points, but eventually that arrogance will be exposed because you are telling a team. YES! we are Passing! NOW stop Us.

A good old school coach like G is gonna pull out all the stops and use your one dimensial b.s. against you and he did and we kept passing.  Same story every year for a while now.

Brady is getting 20 million so he has to be the focus and pass 40 times a game.

Say what you want.  We are just another pass happy team in this new pass first league where shootouts are the norm and whoever has the ball last wins....Coaching is overated now.  Just need a good qb who can sling it and pray for turnovers....smh

the New NFL

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Run the Damn Ball : And if you run three times and get three yards a carry, which is probably what they'd get if the D know they are going to run, guess what?  That's a three and out and you've probably only killed two minutes. That's why teams pass when the D thinks run-they get more yardage per play, more first downs and can use MOREW clock, and possibly score. You're all worried about too many passes = int's, well, running backs DO fumble.

Yeah. Clearly a 3rd and 4 or 5 is an impossible task for the offense to convert on. How does the D know your going to run? I can tell with 100% accuracy that the D knows they are throwing in an empty set...

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Run the Damn Ball : Umm, what if the D has a nine man line, they're going to run? Use your neocortex for more than a fly trap.

Yeah. Teams stack the box all the time against the Pats. Do you even watch any of the games or just make up imaginary scenerios? In some imaginary dream world you live in teams are taking the running game away from the Pats to have them throw more except for the fact that teams never stack the box against the Pats except in a goal line scenerio.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Run the Damn Ball : And if you run three times and get three yards a carry, which is probably what they'd get if the D know they are going to run, guess what?  That's a three and out and you've probably only killed two minutes. That's why teams pass when the D thinks run-they get more yardage per play, more first downs and can use MOREW clock, and possibly score. You're all worried about too many passes = int's, well, running backs DO fumble.

Where are we getting this impression that the Pats CAN'T run the ball or can only get 3 yards a carry?  Every one of our offensive linemen has made a Pro Bowl with the exception of our center, both of our guards were on last seasons Pro Bowl roster, are you really going to make that argument?

PS the clock keeps running after a 3 yard run play, or even a 5 yarder but when you try for a ten yard pass and it falls incomplete the clock stops; just thought I'd throw that caveat in there in case you don't actually watch football games.

Lastly are you really worried about HYPOTHETICAL fumbles, comparing them to interceptions and tipped balls?  

People don't fumble at nearly the rate of INT's, for example Law Firm has never fumbled the ball in his career, something to consider the next time you post while sniffing model airplane glue and telling the rest of us how stupid we are.  Keep writing though, this is fun...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

I do wholeheartedly agree with you. Forget about the yardage and the 4 TD passes. He looked out of sync yesterday especially in the second half. My question is why didn't they run Ridley more? He was effective out there. I can see the Raiders game planning just like Buffalo.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Run the Damn Ball : Umm, what? McKelvin had great inside position!  You don't throw that ball and a mid range post route like that. His 4 INTs are all his fault tied to this pass first crappy approach:1 1. Before half, in the red zone, yet again a missed opportunity becuase he rushed the throws as the DB had Woodhead covered. Brady rifled it high and wide, Woodhead couldn't handle it. 2. Ochocico runs a route, is covered well in single man and Brady forced that one too. 3. Brady forces it to Gronk in double coverage. 4. Brady's pass happy scheme has a tipped ball at the line staring down his receiver. If you move the ball around more, targeting Branch, Ochocinco, etc, you run it more, these chances are minimized. He had other tipped balls too which proves the Bills were selling out on the classic SB 42 loss formula. You're a Brady apologist. I can't believe I am called a homer on this board. There is not one Brady thread on here. Every thread is to blame the wrong people. He was AWFUL!!   It happens. No one is perfect including great players. Ridley is the best looking rookie RB I have seen in this league and they don't even use him! Why? Why?
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Run the Damn Ball : I do wholeheartedly agree with you. Forget about the yardage and the 4 TD passes. He looked out of sync yesterday especially in the second half. My question is why didn't they run Ridley more? He was effective out there. I can see the Raiders game planning just like Buffalo.
    Posted by ANONMD08[/QUOTE]

In a perfect world Ridley would get more carries, he's more athletic than Law Firm, but the reality is that when Law Firm was playing early the Bills stacked the line, after Brady sliced and diced them, the running game was open for Ridley to run.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

i would have ran Ridley till his tongue was hanging. Dude looks quick and knows where the holes are.

Sometimes I think we have a ticker to remind Bill that Brady hasnt passed the ball in 3 plays and to line up in shotgun again.

every time we start to run the ball, the ticker goes off like an electric shock to O'briens head. Bzzzz!  get Brady back in the gun!  lol - its just too funny at this point...what else can i do but laugh and SMH