Run the Damn Ball

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

Re: Run the Damn Ball

How many times has Brady bailed this team out when the defense couldn't get a stop?  Exactly...and that's why Brady gets the much-deserved benefit of the doubt. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: Run the Damn Ball:
    [QUOTE]I basically call out ever one of our plays while I am watching the game. No lie. I am sure many on this board do. Brady morphed into Tony Romo and there is no debating it. As awful as the PI calll was on Sergio Brown with textbook coverage, they lost this game because of the offense. They get away with it because of how gerat they can be, but it cannot sustain over 4 qtrs. The bailed them out last week and they were bailing them out in the first half. The concering issue is this about O'Brien and Bradys relationship. Either O'Brien doesn't slap Brady or Brady is controlling O'Brien too much. I am not going to even look at the stupid "The Defense Stinks" threads because I'll lose brain cells just reading the stupidity.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

Does Romo step up in the endgame and drive the team to a tying score, only to watch his D fold like a cheap suit when it's their turn to man up?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfaninswflorida. Show Patsfaninswflorida's posts

What is really frustrating for me is that the Pats have a dynamic RB in Ridley that can take pressure off Brady and they are not using him.

How many yards per carry does Ridley have to have before that occurs to them... 6...8...?  I have been screaming since pre-season that Ridley was the best RB the Pats have had since Curtis Martin....  USE HIM!

Between Ridley, Woodhead, BJGE and Vereen this team should be able to have an extremely well balanced and devastating ground/pass offense.

Instead they are placing way too much pressure on Brady to be Superman every week.... when it's not necessary.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Run the Damn Ball:
    [QUOTE]The patriots need to start running the football. I understand taking the ball out of Tom Brady's hands is a bad decision, but they need to make the defense at least respect the run. Too many times now, they come out passing, get down in the game, realizing that their passing is getting picked up on, THEN they begin to run the ball.  They had success in the 3rd quarter and then gave up on it and started throwing again. It just seems as though they're throwing out of arrogance to some extent. It was a tough loss because of the penalties and turnovers, but in general I think they need to start running more.
    Posted by Caliberink[/QUOTE]

Ridley looked good

And I agree, especially because there are a lot of stunts and schemes (like the ones that resulted in Kyle Williams' tipped passes) that wouldn't work if they had to play the run

Those tipped passes where defenders set things up specifically to tip the ball won't fly if Ridley is running 5-15 yards past them

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfaninswflorida. Show Patsfaninswflorida's posts

[QUOTE]Seriously, Ridley is the best looking rookie RB I have seen in preseason or even in just the limited looks he's gotten. They should use BJGE and Ridley in the exact same role, so each is disguised well and fresh for both quarters. So, BJGE/Ridley 75%, Woodhead/Vereen as a duo at 25%.

Now that I will agree to...  and lets see some screen plays out in the flats.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]When you have a 21-0 lead near the end of the 2nd quarter and you HAVE the ability to run, statistically you should never lose that game.  Running the ball keeps the clock going, plays keep away from the opposing offense, to deny this goes against the very tenets of football.  Before there ever was a forward pass it was man power VS man power in the trenches running the ball. Yes the game has changed, but not to that degree.  Passing 45 times and rushing it 22 times with your runningbacks is a recipe to lose! It's not a crazy hard mathmatical equation to figure out, 50/50 run to pass ratio is perfection, it's the most unpredictable.  60/40(run) is how the league is trending. As far as the defense stinking, I think Belichick is playing a conservative, close to the vest defense in the regular season to keep D Linemen healthy, only using two at a time.   I don't necessarily agree with it, as a fan I want to see them make a genuine attempt at perfection and win every game, but I'm sure the loss in 2007 stings BB, he probably second guesses himself, maybe if he had coasted earlier, played the young guys more minutes maybe, sat some older guys to rest on D, that his team would have gone undefeated.  If we win it all I will say he's smarter than the rest of us once again, if he lets O'Brien pss it all away with unbalanced offense then we haven't learned anything since Charlie Weis left.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

which begs the question - why weren't we mixing things up w/ running, screens, and play action when we were up 21-0? 

Who ends up making that call? Brady or O'Brien. Who made the call to use Edelman in the backfield?

It doesn't make any sense for BB to play things close to the vest, even if it is early on. Why risk a loss this early on in the season? Maybe the last game of the year if we're already in the playoffs....but now?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Run the Damn Ball : Yeah. Clearly a 3rd and 4 or 5 is an impossible task for the offense to convert on. How does the D know your going to run? I can tell with 100% accuracy that the D knows they are throwing in an empty set...
    Posted by tompenny[/QUOTE]
    ]

Amen.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Run the Damn Ball : Where are we getting this impression that the Pats CAN'T run the ball or can only get 3 yards a carry?  Every one of our offensive linemen has made a Pro Bowl with the exception of our center, both of our guards were on last seasons Pro Bowl roster , are you really going to make that argument? PS the clock keeps running after a 3 yard run play, or even a 5 yarder but when you try for a ten yard pass and it falls incomplete the clock stops; just thought I'd throw that caveat in there in case you don't actually watch football games. Lastly are you really worried about HYPOTHETICAL fumbles, comparing them to interceptions and tipped balls?   People don't fumble at nearly the rate of INT's, for example Law Firm has never fumbled the ball in his career , something to consider the next time you post while sniffing model airplane glue and telling the rest of us how stupid we are.  Keep writing though, this is fun...  
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

Lmao, Thanks for taking care of this guy for me.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]Seriously, Ridley is the best looking rookie RB I have seen in preseason or even in just the limited looks he's gotten. They should use BJGE and Ridley in the exact same role, so each is disguised well and fresh for both quarters. So, BJGE/Ridley 75%, Woodhead/Vereen as a duo at 25%.

This sums it up. Right now we come out spread and throw or perhaps the occasional woody draw to take advantage of 6 DB's on the field, but usually we just throw and throw again.

Then we bring BJGE in and Brady moves under center for maybe 1 play sometimes 2./ Usually it is pretty obvious to a defense that we are probably going to then run the ball and if we only get 2 or 3 yards we will either

A: take BJGE out and go spread AGAIN or
    B: play action fake to BJGE and throw to again.

If we keep Brady under center more and consistently have a power running threat in the game it becomes significantly less obvious what we are doing. Thus the definition of "Keeping a defense honest"

Would it hurt to have 175 yards rushing against a weak run D team like the Bills? The answer is no!  Probably limits the amount of bad plays that can happen, for example Brady throwing 4 INT's.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

I agree with those who want to see Ridley over BJGE. This kid runs much harder, hitting the holes like he wants to punish someone. How can they not recognize this? This kid could be amazing...but needs a chance to prove that.

I also blame Brady as much as anyone for the loss yesterday. Chad may have run a bad route, but that pass should not have been thrown...he sure didn't look anywhere near open to me!! Sorry...but Brady was a HUGE factor in that loss.

The defense played great in the first half I thought. They didn't seem to bring a whole lot of pressure, but were getting the job done. The 2nd half they did not look good. Sure there were a few really bad calls...but what the heck is wrong with McCourty & Bodden....they are getting torched. These are guys are so much better...very frustrating.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

I like Ridlay the most.  He's the only one who's a threat between the tackles and as a pass catcher.  Hopefully he's getting schooled in practice on pass protection and blitz pickup so he can become the feature back

BJGE is a rich man's Maroney.  He has little vision, no agility, and always runs that same stretch play that Maroney always ran.  He can't catch, either

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

[QUOTE]I agree with those who want to see Ridley over BJGE. This kid runs much harder, hitting the holes like he wants to punish someone. How can they not recognize this? This kid could be amazing...but needs a chance to prove that. I also blame Brady as much as anyone for the loss yesterday. Chad may have run a bad route, but that pass should not have been thrown...he sure didn't look anywhere near open to me!! Sorry...but Brady was a HUGE factor in that loss. The defense played great in the first half I thought. They didn't seem to bring a whole lot of pressure, but were getting the job done. The 2nd half they did not look good. Sure there were a few really bad calls...but what the heck is wrong with McCourty & Bodden....they are getting torched. These are guys are so much better...very frustrating.
    Posted by tanbass[/QUOTE]

Good post

Basically our defense looked good early on as we were disguising coverages and hence the 2 picks by Arrington.  Fitzy and the offense started to figure it out and once Fitzy knew what he was looking at, he exploited it

The same thing happened to us on offense. We came out smoking early with a good game plan and as the game wore on, Bufallo figured it out and stopped it, only difference is the Pats never made the counter adjustments and went down with Bradys arm like we saw a lot of in 2009. If this is the direction we are headed, then we have regressed from 2010..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

They did run the ball, especially on 1st down, and only managed to pick up a yard or so. How many times do you want to start 2nd and 9? It wasn't the lack of a running game that cost us the game, it was the defense and the same problems that we've had for several years now---lack of a pass rush and an awful secondary.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

gaining only a yard is not the point.  it keeps the clock moving and even after 3 straight runs if you go 3 and out, you still accomplish running the clock.

How effective was the pass when after going up 21-0, we scored a whole 3 points in the next 2 quarters...???

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Did you watch the end of the game where Bufallo ran it 3 times inside the 5 and gained nothing?  Actually they lost a yard on each play.  The reason they did it was to kill the clock, they didnt care to score on those plays,...they had a game winning FG in the bag.

Do you understand that concept. If you up by 3 scores, your primary concern shouldnt scoring points, but rather running clock and you may even break a long run like we did last week w/Benny and accomplish both...Wow, what an idea.

Bufallo took the knee at the goal line right from our playbook and executed to perfection.

I want the real Hoody back!  not this guy who is in love with scoring on every possesion. 

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Run the Damn Ball : In a perfect world Ridley would get more carries, he's more ahtletic than Law Firm, but the reality is that when Law Firm was playing early the Bills stacked the line, after Brady sliced and diced them, the running game was open for Ridley to run.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

Precisely. Why the he!! draft 2 RB's in last years draft early if you don't use them? We could have as easily waited until round 4 or 5 to grab RB fodder, or rotational guys if the run wasn't so important or used sparingly like it is.

the point is..the Pats have the RB's to run the ball and make D's respect our run. They aren't DMcFadden, but they don't need to. Ridley rattling off 6+ yards per carry is good enough for me. We just need to see more of it, and doing it early.

I think we have a double edged sword here.....
    The Pats realilze their best chance at winning is to score early and often. This is done best via Brady and his arm. Thus, they pass like crazy early to try and establish a lead and build upon it quickly. So, as they do this, the run game is used minimally at best. Up early, BB can use the defense to "contain"..let the opposing team move within the 20's, but stay out of the endzone. He doesn't have to be aggressive or up his risk on D. The D is supposedly built this way, to preserve a lead, the problem is it can't for sustained periods of time.

So, as much as I would like to see us use Ridley and Vereen and increase our running game, adding it in early, I'm not sure we can. Or, that it's the best recipe for success. I would like to think it is. I can't see how the run game couldn't be successful, espeically in a hurry up offense, as we gouge defenses in quick strike passing situations, then run it a few times..play action, etc. It sets up the ground game for after halftime as well as we build early leads.

What is becoming more apparent to me is that O'Brien clearly gameplans for the 1st and 2nd quarters. After that, it's basically no mans land. No adjustments, no complimentary play with our D.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Run the ball? They let you do that??? LOL

25. This post has been removed.