Runnig backs becoming more expendable

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Runnig backs becoming more expendable

Passing is taking over.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/18/low-demand-for-veteran-running-backs/

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: Runnig backs becoming more expendable

There just isn't a lot of standout talent in the league at RB. Guys now flash for a year or two maybe and then fade into just another guy. The D is so huge these days featured RBs take 10 years of pounding in a couple of seasons. This is why RB committees are found so often.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think Babe is right about the "flash in the pan effect."  Running is still an important part of the game (heck, 4 in 10 offensive plays are runs, even in this passing league).  It's just that RBs seem to come out of nowhere (often UDFAs), look great for two years, then disappear back into obscurity.  No one is going to spend a lot of money on a guy who might well be eclipsed by some undrafted free agent.   And this particular class of free agent RBs is not particularly good.  Smith is probably the most talented of them, but he's always injured.  The rest are either fairly average or starting to show signs of age and decline.  I guess if I were a GM I'd be looking to the draft before signing any of these guys to big money.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RANDIBUS81. Show RANDIBUS81's posts

I think we need someone like a Corey Dillon was for us Years ago. Some one who could run for 1st downs witch would allow us to pass with ease. I am excited for the potential of Vereen and Ridley shows promise. I'd like to see us trade for someone but I am sure the main focus now is the D.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from quinzpatsfan. Show quinzpatsfan's posts

I'm not sure I agree with that.  There seems to be more teams that heavliy rely on the passing game now than 5 or 10 years ago overall.  BUT, if you look at the top teams last year,  Pats, GB, SF, NYG, NO,  houston, Balt, Pitt, Denver, Detriot.  It seems pretty even pass teams to run/def teams.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1guy1sharp. Show 1guy1sharp's posts

Seriously , where have you been the last ten years. Running backs have become increasingly expendable. Coming from college its the easiest position to break in and make an immediate impact. So why would teams bother drafting them high. I mean the best years of their careers are their first 5-6. This just isn't news. Teams arnt throwing cash at them like in years past. You can't find any in the first round of the draft. Every back is now expected to do much more than run the ball.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Good news...  It appears now that we can ALL come to the final and clearly the most intelligibly well-informed conclusion, that after NE's Front Office inks the very favorably priced starting runningback contract with BDC's own- Bustchise, His mad skills should undoubtedly be more than enough for a 2012 smooth-sailing straight to hooking the trophy-fish, Lombardi (subsequently, I now also have my choice of nominee worthy enough to accept the heralded championship award).  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

It's also that the FA class this season is not really good. Most teams have starters better than anything out there. And for the two or three who don't (those who some of the FAs departed) they know that they can just wait and sign the last guy standing. 

These guys have slightly different ups and downs, but really they are all about the same type of platoon guy for one reason or another. 

I mean if the Bengals wait, Benson is signed away, and they get BJGE or Bush for a million less, it likely has zero impact on their franchise for better or worse.

In short, with this group, no one cares.

If the FA market had premium backs at this point those guys would be moving. Case in point that the article overlooks.

Forte and Foster were moved on very quickly. So RBs still can have high value, if they are in fact high value players.