Running Game -- Do We Have One???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SouthSt. Show SouthSt's posts

Running Game -- Do We Have One???

Unfortunately, I have not been able to see much of the preseason . . . work has gotten in the way, but I'll fix that soon

For those that know, what are your early thoughts on our running game helping to create a more balanced attack this year ???

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostOfLombardi. Show GhostOfLombardi's posts

Re: Running Game -- Do We Have One???

yes, we have a running game

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Patriots were 6th in the league in rushing yards per game, 4th in rushing TD's and 7th in yards per attempt in 2008.  I think we'll be fine.

Having Brady back, may lower statiscal output from the running game, but it should help to open things up by spreading the field.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

I agree with mbeaulieu the only difference besides being older by a year from this year to last year in the run is we flip-floped Lamont Jordan and Fred Taylor, and personally i think taylor is a tad bit better than lamont, and i really enjoyed lamont, he ran really hard.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from plummermj. Show plummermj's posts

Has Billy B learned from that Giant SB loss?  Spreading teams out & throwing 50+ times a game isn't how the Pats got 3 rings.  It was the ability to adjust & attack each opponents weakness.  They need to give Maroney & Taylor 25 combined carries per game to keep Brady off his back, the Pats D fresh, & opposing D's off balance!  They have some good pass rushing D's on the schedule this year.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

In Response to Re: Running Game -- Do We Have One???:
    Has Billy B learned from that Giant SB loss?  Spreading teams out & throwing 50+ times a game isn't how the Pats got 3 rings.  It was the ability to adjust & attack each opponents weakness.  They need to give Maroney & Taylor 25 combined carries per game to keep Brady off his back, the Pats D fresh, & opposing D's off balance!  They have some good pass rushing D's on the schedule this year.  
    Posted by plummermj

Dude, name one team that has the people to cover all of the Pats wideouts effectively with Brady throwing to them....every team will have a weakness against the Pats....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SouthSt. Show SouthSt's posts

I would completely agree with the idea that we need 25 carries a game of productive running, otherwise Tom will get whacked way too often as teams will be aggressively coming at him if we can't keep them honest with the run.

It does take a more aggressive blocking approach to generate the run game, one that I think we've lost a bit of -- but, for good reason, our passing attack has been devastating . . . however, we'll be a much better team and will help the defense if we have the ability to employ ball control running at times . . . if it's there, imagine how well 'play action' is going to work !!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rebels1520. Show rebels1520's posts

the running game will be solid enough to keep defenses honest

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

As a team last season we rushed for over 2000 yards. So yea I would say we have a running game.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Last year with Cassall we ran to set up the pass, this year we'll pass to set up the run.  Both are effective but I'd rather have Tom under center than anyone else...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

Eh, the RBC method takes on new meaning with this team.  You're talking about 5 RBs who all add a different element to the team.  What everyone needs to focus on is team YPC and overall production from a team perspective.  I don't see Morris, Moroney or Taylor being any more important than the other but Faulk is clearly the most essential and BJGE is possibly the least.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

Matt Cassel added another dimension to the running attack last year, Brady will not, so only a slight drop for the RB's this year. Maroney must continue to return kicks and catch passes out of the backfield like last week to increase his value. He may be our worst back. I have total confidence in Faulk and Morris to fill their roles. Fred Taylor, we shall see, i can't say he is better than Lamont Jordan until i see him in a few real games 1st. BJGE is very impressive, no worries there, great north/south runner.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

Matt Cassel added another dimension to the running attack last year, Brady will not, so only a slight drop for the RB's this year. Maroney must continue to return kicks and catch passes out of the backfield like last week to increase his value. He may be our worst back. I have total confidence in Faulk and Morris to fill their roles. Fred Taylor, we shall see, i can't say he is better than Lamont Jordan until i see him in a few real games 1st. BJGE is very impressive, no worries there, great north/south runner.
    Posted by PatsRfineIn09

Traditionally Taylor has been better than lamont, but this is a new year and anything can happen, but taylor has more inate talent

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Teams will be looking to stop the Pass not the run.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Posted by PatsRfineIn09

Good points. Wonder if they are going to try and make Maroney into the next Kevin Faulk, with Faulk in the last year of his contract. BJGE looks like he has a future with the team. Morris has been our best consistent rusher when playing over the last two years, just hope he makes it through 16 games this year. If they can stay healthier this year (which isn't asking much), I think they'll be a solid rushing attack.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

I would completely agree with the idea that we need 25 carries a game of productive running, otherwise Tom will get whacked way too often as teams will be aggressively coming at him if we can't keep them honest with the run.
    Posted by SouthSt

+1

Perhaps, this is why the team stopped putting all of their chips on Maroney?  There is not sense in getting into December and watching him go on the list....again.  Hopefully, the core of the group will stay health and be there when they need 'em.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Posted by plummermj

I would agree with you here Plummer.  But noted in an earlier post, NE did run the ball very effectively last year.  And Cassell played very very well last year as a game manager. 

We know how much better Brady is than Cassell, but is that difference as dramatic if Brady plays game manager like Cassel and the pats run the offense this year similarly (running frequently) to last year?  I think the answer is no.

The reason that the pats won their SB's was because of defense.  The pats o scoring will take care of itself, but the it is the D's ability to stop opponents from scoring that will determine the pats success this year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Eh, the RBC method takes on new meaning with this team.  You're talking about 5 RBs who all add a different element to the team.  What everyone needs to focus on is team YPC and overall production from a team perspective.  I don't see Morris, Moroney or Taylor being any more important than the other but Faulk is clearly the most essential and BJGE is possibly the least.
    Posted by SonnyCorlione

Completely agree, Yes they all have unique skill sets but they will all play and stay fresh. Faulk will maintain his role as the most underated running back in the game today!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JordanFromMontreal. Show JordanFromMontreal's posts

I think Malroney will have his most productive season( which isnt all the hard to top, considering all his potential) but i think he will be used like alot of people feel this year ala kevin faulk protege. We are jsut having too much trouble giving his the ball, see him dance around and make a yard or two.

I believe Fred taylor still has alot in him, and will have a really good season in NE, while turning alot of heads! I remember two season ago, he had an unbelievable second half of the season, where I believe he led the nfl in rushing yards. He's a proven vet and I think, his business like attitude and work ethic are the perfect fit here and will rub off well with the 2 younger RB. I think sammy morris will fill in nice and be more of a power runner short yardage goal line player to compliment Taylor. BJGE will be more limited, and only have a bigger role through injury or lack of success.

SO... YES!!! The patriots running game is there, and actually quite strong when called upon. We dont have the protypical every down RB who will get you youre 1000 rushing yards but the carries will be more distuibuited and I'm hoping we will be more succesful in average yards per carry than in the past.

Finally I would love to see Malroney line up at WR  and really get him involved in the passing game out of the backfield. I think this would  be a huge weapon for the pats this year, and give alot of other teams huge headaches. In the open feild his speed and strength really do show! and when givin the opportunity he needs to plow for those yards. north south running as they call it. either way this season is a make it break it year with Malroney! He has the skill, I belive, but instead of using as we have we need to incoropate him more like the saints have with bush.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

Unless LM reinvents himself, I hold very little optimism for his production. Where Fred Taylor is a hard no nonsense north south running back, LM is an east west guy who turns a3 yard gain into no gain . The dancing he does allows LB's to tee off on him. If he wasn't a number one pick he would have been cut 2 years ago. The guy just doesn't get it. As soon as he shows a couple of nice NS runs, he reverts to his dancing act. When you have a TB at QB you need a RB to to pick up 3-4 yds and take the pressure off. The sooner Maroney is given his walking papers the better. It's a shame, having a first round pick who is reluctant to hit the holes hard, but that's exactly what we have.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

If people are looking for another 2007 season from Brady, it ain't going to happen. The Pats will run and pass this season. With the rushing game we should destroy good pass coverage teams like the Chargers, and Colts. With the passing game we can spread out a good defense like the Steelers and pick on the 3rd, 4th and 5th corners. 

Boys, assuming Brady can stay healthy, the Pats RBs can stay healthy, and the core of the D can stay healthy we will be parading in Boston this year. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

If people are looking for another 2007 season from Brady, it ain't going to happen. Posted by 49Patriots

I agree 100%!  This year's Brady will be much better than 2007!

Sections
Shortcuts