Running up the score in the playoffs and Peter King's latest article

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxpatsfan08. Show Soxpatsfan08's posts

Re: Running up the score in the playoffs and Peter King's latest article

i didnt see him or anyone for that matter writing about the Saints doing it all season.. the worst being that colts game

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

This whole running up the score thing is just people being bitter at BB flipping off the entire league and media when the 2007 squad bent everyone over in the regular season when they all wanted to pin his success on Spygate.  There are lots of other teams that would qualifiy as running up the score when you look at the situations when the Pats are accused of doing it, but they haven't pissed off everyone like BB has.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Funny, I don't remember King accusing the Ravens of running up the score over the Pats two years back.  Or the Saints, ever.  Or the Packers, ever.  Or the Colts, ever.  Don't recall him calling Manning to task for scoring a superfulous TD within the last minutes of the game in Mannings first victory over the Pats, a blowout.

King is a bad writer.  Follows a formula, which is very lazy.  Also wastes column space on tangents into coffee, beer, toilet paper...

His Pats-hate is naked.  

I think most NFL fans have him figured.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

King is a pud.

They run the ball 3 times inside the 10 when Brady can set the all-time playoff game passing TD record and Queenie has the balls to talk about running up the score.

He should be castrating Brees in print for his phony talk about not caring about the yardage record while he passed like a madman to get it. I can't stand the guy.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

In Response to Re: Running up the score in the playoffs and Peter King's latest article:
    Funny, I don't remember King accusing the Ravens of running up the score over the Pats two years back.  Or the Saints, ever.  Or the Packers, ever.  Or the Colts, ever.  Don't recall him calling Manning to task for scoring a superfulous TD within the last minutes of the game in Mannings first victory over the Pats, a blowout. King is a bad writer.  Follows a formula, which is very lazy.  Also wastes column space on tangents into coffee, beer, toilet paper... His Pats-hate is naked.   I think most NFL fans have him figured.
    Posted by chrisakawoody

Looking at this video clip, the defender would have been flaged for hitting the QB in the head if it happened this year!  LoL

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

I'm sure the Houston Oilers wished they had run up the score on the Buffalo Bills when they were leading 35-3.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

In Response to Re: Running up the score in the playoffs and Peter King's latest article:
    If you don't like the score, then do someting about it. If your defense can't stop someone from running up the score, then you've got more serious problems then a high score. In the Denver game, Brady had a chance to set another record for most TD in a play off game. He could have gone for it and set another record, but didn't. 
    Posted by NoahJustin

It's funny, but until 2007, I never even once heard fans in Boston wanting to run up the score in football games.  The Pats like everyone else had a bit of class, and yes, like Parcells did, sometimes it can be used for effect, but the Pats of 07 were just racking up points, and Moss' record for TDs? So many late in the game to pad the stats. I knew from the 2nd game of the year, this offense was going nowhere no matter how many points it scored, and by the 2nd half of the year, teams began to bother this finesse ballerina team. They had so many tough games that they barely won and won without any of the confidence of the SB era teams.

The 06 Pats score 35 in a loss to the Colts in the AFC Title game, and everyone says we need a new offense. They get Moss and Welker, and this team in the last 3 playoff appearances, all losses, scored a total of 48 points.  48 points!!!!  That's 13 more than that terrible 06 offense scored in one game.  16 points per game in the last 3 losses. 

So ya, go ahead and blow teams out you are up by 35 points in the 3rd Q, and show how powerful your offense is until you get in the playoffs!!

Wow!! I'm scared!!  I am sure the Ravens are petrified!!
    And I am a long time Pats fan, and I get sick of all these great stats running up the score, and then when it counts, this offense wimps out like a wet rag. And better yet, in all those losses, so many of you so called Pat fans blame it on the Defense?? Come on!

I miss those SB teams, they played to win and no other reason. Two points, 3 points, it didn't matter, just go out and win.

The only reason we have a chance is Brady has brought back the great come from behind, his head is always in the game when it matters, 3 time SB champ!!

There are reasons we haven't won SBs since the Moss/Welker era.  

As the late great Red Head and even BB would say, and sometimes I wonder why he says it the way the stats are so great now with out the big wins:

Stats are for Losers!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

So ya, go ahead and blow teams out you are up by 35 points in the 3rd Q, and show how powerful your offense is until you get in the playoffs!!

Am I missing something here? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

The Patriots did not run up the score on the Broncos....if they had, Brady would have had 8 or 9 TDs. They were handing it off to a rookie RB! The only reason they scored that many points was because of Denver's inability to hang on to the ball on offense! They eased off the gas a lot in the 2nd half.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

This is ridiculous

the Patriots could have scored 70 points if they wanted.  They stopped scoring with 11 minutes left in the 3rd quarter

in-f*cking-credible

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

In Response to Re: Running up the score in the playoffs and Peter King's latest article : It's funny, but until 2007, I never even once heard fans in Boston wanting to run up the score in football games.  The Pats like everyone else had a bit of class, and yes, like Parcells did, sometimes it can be used for effect, but the Pats of 07 were just racking up points, and Moss' record for TDs? So many late in the game to pad the stats. I knew from the 2nd game of the year, this offense was going nowhere no matter how many points it scored, and by the 2nd half of the year, teams began to bother this finesse ballerina team. They had so many tough games that they barely won and won without any of the confidence of the SB era teams. The 06 Pats score 35 in a loss to the Colts in the AFC Title game, and everyone says we need a new offense. They get Moss and Welker, and this team in the last 3 playoff appearances, all losses, scored a total of 48 points.  48 points!!!!  That's 13 more than that terrible 06 offense scored in one game.  16 points per game in the last 3 losses.  So ya, go ahead and blow teams out you are up by 35 points in the 3rd Q, and show how powerful your offense is until you get in the playoffs!! Wow!! I'm scared!!  I am sure the Ravens are petrified!! And I am a long time Pats fan, and I get sick of all these great stats running up the score, and then when it counts, this offense wimps out like a wet rag. And better yet, in all those losses, so many of you so called Pat fans blame it on the Defense?? Come on! I miss those SB teams, they played to win and no other reason. Two points, 3 points, it didn't matter, just go out and win. The only reason we have a chance is Brady has brought back the great come from behind, his head is always in the game when it matters, 3 time SB champ!! There are reasons we haven't won SBs since the Moss/Welker era.   As the late great Red Head and even BB would say, and sometimes I wonder why he says it the way the stats are so great now with out the big wins: Stats are for Losers!!!
    Posted by quasi

Funny, earlier this year all you could talk about was how much a loser and cry baby Brady was and how much better Joe Montana when he was with the Chiefs compared to Brady. Go back to rooting for whoever you normally root for (Colts I presume).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

Here's a pretty good piece by Pierce.  My issue with the King types is it puts this politically correct priority over the game itself. It's like how Gary Bettman is treating the NHL. He's mismanging it to try to drive revenue, when he just doesn't get all the fans want is the game, no gimmicks. Same with Goodell and this push to erase helmet hits, Same with Spygate. All of a sudden Goodell changed the rule and wanted it followed a certain way to quell any issues between teams who were in-fighting and squawking abotu each other.   And it's just the worst thing in the world that teams were playing games with one another with cameras during a game. Oh no! How about all the jealous, whiny girl fanbases just shut up for once?  It's amazing what cable tv and the internet has helped create. A bunch of whiny, overly-dramatic Americans constantly complaining.  The media prods it, drives an agenda and the continues to continue to make money off of something. "As long as you keep eating em, I'll keep making em." I bet 99% of non Pats fans don't even know why BB wears that hoodie. http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7468068/charles-p-pierce-new-england-patriots-denver-broncos-divisional-playoff-game
    Posted by RidingWithTheKingII

true, King's article is a joke.  If he had it his way, everyone would get a trophy for participating.  This is why 2/3 of generation Y is infantilized.  the quick answer to his whiny complaint is simply, because BB and the Patriots are adults and figure the other team is a team full of adults as well.  BB honors the game of football.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

The Patriots did not run up the score on the Broncos....if they had, Brady would have had 8 or 9 TDs. They were handing it off to a rookie RB! The only reason they scored that many points was because of Denver's inability to hang on to the ball on offense! They eased off the gas a lot in the 2nd half.
    Posted by FishTaco64

exactly. why would a qb punt on third down if all they wanted was run up the score?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

this just shows that no what the patriots to, there is always somebody with something to b**ch about

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

In Response to Re: Running up the score in the playoffs and Peter King's latest article : Funny, earlier this year all you could talk about was how much a loser and cry baby Brady was and how much better Joe Montana when he was with the Chiefs compared to Brady. Go back to rooting for whoever you normally root for (Colts I presume).
    Posted by ccnsd

Yes I did say all that, and I also said that he had to change from losing his will when the team was behind, and he was beginning to show some passion when behind early this year, and even though he was losing some games he was getting better at staying in the game when behind, which kept the team in the game as they began to believe they had a chance in coming from behind!

So let me see!  How many games has he come from behind to take the lead like the last 2 or so games and so many more.

He has gotten the things back that I said he had lost with all the front running he has done since 07.

He now is playing more like Montana, which had completely disappeared in him since 07.

So bash me if you want, but everything I said he was forced to work on because the team was behind a lot this year, he went into a funk for those 3 or 4 games and he has been great since.  I only wish he would score a little more slowly and keep the D off the field.

Thanks for backing me up and you had no idea that you were!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DavidSeattle. Show DavidSeattle's posts

In Response to Running up the score in the playoffs and Peter King's latest article:
    Here is a snippet from Peter King's latest article on SI: GOOD POINT ON RUNNING IT UP. "After seeing you tweet Saturday night, I was surprised Von Miller wasn't listed in the Ten Things You Don't Like. I have a Von Miller related question: Why does no one take Belichick to task for his running up the score on opponents? I don't mean to argue against it on grounds of sportsmanship, but rather I think it is terrible coaching. Right or wrong, Von Miller-type late hits will happen when you intentionally try to embarrass opponents (I truly believe that is Belichick's intention). Why put your guys in a situation where they will get suspended (from the view I saw, Pat Chung should be for straddling and punching a grounded Bronco on the sideline) or injured (Brady still in on the final drive) when you have an insurmountable lead? Right or wrong, sportsmanlike or unsportsmanlike, Belichick often puts his team in a bad situation with nothing to gain at the end of blowouts. From my view, it is only a matter of time. What do you think?'' -- Taylor, Miami I've agreed on that for a long time, going back to some of those 2007 blowouts. It's why so many fans (and many in the game) don't like Belichick. I said Saturday night it was wrong to have Brady in for the last two series of the Denver game, and I stand by it Full article: Here Really? Can you run the score up against a playoff team in a one game elimination tournament? I'm so sick of hearing about BB and the Pats running up the score on everyone. It is the freaking playoffs, shouldn't you want to score as much as possible to be completely sure there is no chance of you losing? You know, you are facing a playoff team. You would think a playoff team would be decent enough to come back and deal with getting beat. Anyway, he makes another point in the article. That being that Joe Flacco only needs to be ok and play mistake free football in order to win. He compares Flacco and the Raven's defense to Dilfer and their defense that year. No, this Ravens defense isn't anything close to what that D was then. This entire article seems  to be knocking the Pats. So mainly running the ball is going to be enough to beat the Pats? There is no possible way the Patriots score enough on this defense (obviously an all-time great, since they are being compared to the SB winning Ravens) to force the Ravens into passing the ball? According to King, Flacco only scoring one TD should be enough to take the Pats down because the Pats aren't going to be able to stop the Raven's running game. I can't wait for this game. It seems to me that nobody expects the Pats to win this, and I really hope BB is using this and the 09 game as motivation. Here's to Spikes emerging and knocking Ray Rice down the entire game.
    Posted by magicalhobo

Can a team,i.e., the Pats really run up a score? For sure!! But Why ask that?
     I remember the SD chargers with Keith Lincoln and Paul Lowe ran wild in cremating the Pats in one of the first AFL Championship games 54-10?
     Did BB run up the score in the Denver game? NO!!!!
     What Von Miller did is Rookie loss of control. 4 Broncs went out of the contest. Were they really hurt or were their feelings hurt? Who can know these things
     In a business where the talent level should be so equal, how can a team run up the score? The talent level has to be significantly defined and different. There are only 1696 players on the active rosters , a very small % of our male population!. Why are some teams so much better or capable of running up the score?
     If you have played any sports at all that answer is simple. Some athletes are gifted and the team that accumulates more talent usually wins. Simpleton logic?
     And finally, if the fans don't like the result of the game then urge  that organization to get enough good players to make the contest competitive.
    Both Denver safeties were gone in the second half, Gronk and Aaron do well against starting safeties and the Pats chose only to score 10 Pts in the second half.
     Have Mercy and BB did.
    The Pats did not run up the score in the Broncos game. it could have been 63-10.
     In loosing , one gains strength if there was character to build on.
     Humble in Victory and Gracious in defeat
     Go Patriots

I

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

I sent King and email comparing the 07 Pats to the 11 Saints with the following facts:

The avearge margin of victory in the 13 Saints' win this year was 17.8
    The average margin of victory for the 07 Pats was 19.7

Both the Pats and the Saints had 4 games decided by 10 points or less.
    Overall Pats had 13 decided by 30 points or less; saints had 12 decided by this margin.

Saints lost to two bad teams this year (Bucs and Rams).  Pats did not lose.

I asked why Payton isn't getting the heat, but he excoriates BB every chance for this.

Just as with the defense comment this year even with GB having a worse passing D and a much larger variance between 10 and 11, this is just pure lazy journalism from the Ron Borges school.  I said that he may have too much going on to properly do a good research job to better serve his readers.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItsMonkTime. Show ItsMonkTime's posts

To paraphrase Ricky from "Trailer Park Boys," Peter King is the stupidest fu** giraffe in the dum dum salad.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

.Its professional football....  No team should ever take their foot off the pedal.  I'm with BB on this.  The players are there to play and every play is additional experience.  I think BB sees it that way.  He's not running up the score, he and his players are doing what they love to do, play good football.  Fans of other teams should be complaining that their team did not come to play good football, not about us running up the score.  They should be embarrassed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

All the fools come out of the woodwork and complain about BB, but ipot gave a perfect example showing how the Saints are the ones who consistantly run up the score. The Patriots scored 10 points in the second half and yet nobody is mad at Sean Payton throwing up 62 against the Colts.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ddimaria. Show ddimaria's posts

I know this is not an issue in playoffs but is score differential ever a tie-breaker for reaching the playoffs?

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

King has a point.

Running up the score makes sense if you are the game to improve aspects of your team's play.  Basically use the blow out as a scrimmage.  I can see working the offense in the blow out as long as Brady is trying to connect with Ocho Cinco or the young guys.  It doesn't make sense to run it up using veterans.  in addition to exposing your stars to injuries, you are also giving future opponents more film to use to diagnose what you team is going.

I also agree that keeping Brady in the game against Denver was wrong unless he is throwing to Ocho Cinco or other receivers who haven't played much.

Putting the back up QB in games is extremely valuable.  If, Tebow forbid, Brady gets hurt in the first quarter on Sunday, aren't you going to wish that Hoyer had gotten a few reps in the Denver game?  And Hoyer could have done the quick kick as effective as Brady.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts