Rusty, is this why you say Bedard has an Anti-BB agenda?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Rusty, is this why you say Bedard has an Anti-BB agenda?

"Well, they went wrong in many different directions on Jackson. If you want all the details, I suggest you read War Room by Michael Holley. Basically, every scout and WR coach Brian Daboll (who is back now) hated Chad Jackson. Said he was lazy and not very bright. But Belichick completely overrode them in favor of Urban Meyer. And instead of drafting Greg Jennings, the Patriots traded up and made the worst pick of Belichick's tenure.

The constant theme is the Patriots have chosen athletic ability over football smarts. People like to rail against the Wonderlic, but, I'm sorry, it's not just a coincidence that the only star the Patriots have drafted at WR -- Deion Branch -- also scored the highest by far at the position (don't know Edelman's, but I'm guessing it was also high).

The Patriots look for two things first: ability to catch, and to gain separation. Sorry, but they need to change it to: catch, ability to process the game/smarts and then go from there. There is no point drafting a guy who is not going to do what Brady wants because he's not going to get on the field. EVER"

Sounds like he is just relaying info from a book you suggested a lot of folks read. I have yet to read it in full so I have to assume this is true and if so, I wonder what BB is gonna do this year and if he will consider others opinions. I have always said u have to be careful with reccomendations from friends cuz all coaches want their guy to go high to make their programs look good.  So does this make him anti-bb and having an agenda by quoting from Holleys book and bringing attention to his MY way or high way drafting process?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Re: Rusty, is this why you say Bedard has an Anti-BB agenda?

In response to TripleOG's comment:

bringing attention to his MY way or high way drafting process?

I guarantee you every GM in the NFL has made at least a few picks over the objections of their scouting department.  I question the claim that BB does this all the time.  If he did most of the scouts and other execs would have quit in disgust.  Holley highlights Jackson and Maroney as two guys BB overruled the scouts on.  Of course they were both poor picks, but perhaps he also overruled them on guys that worked out for us.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

I guarantee you every GM in the NFL has made at least a few picks over the objections of their scouting department.  I question the claim that BB does this all the time.  If he did most of the scouts and other execs would have quit in disgust.  Holley highlights Jackson and Maroney as two guys BB overruled the scouts on.  Of course they were both poor picks, but perhaps he also overruled them on guys that worked out for us.

I have no doubt that he has. My question would be, why hire scouts if you arent gonna listen to them? With all due respect to BB's knowledge, he cant scout during the year when he is coaching an NFL team and trying to win championships. Maybe im more biased cuz I wanted Jennings, thought he was a perfect fit and didnt require moving up. I watched the Elway to Marino 3030 last night and its amazing how much craziness happens on draft day... Im not saying BB never listens, but this is why Pioli left and the way they handled matters was....if they couldnt agree on a player, they both agreed to go in a different direction, so basically they wouldnt take either guy and move on. So how many good talents did we pass up using that philosophy. Once Pioli left, the drafts got better, but these guys still arent lasting long here.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

It's why Parcells stormed outta here.........

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Im not saying BB never listens, but this is why Pioli left and the way they handled matters was....if they couldnt agree on a player, they both agreed to go in a different direction, so basically they wouldnt take either guy and move on. So how many good talents did we pass up using that philosophy. Once Pioli left, the drafts got better, but these guys still arent lasting long here.

Pioli left for a better job.  Do you have any evidence that it was because BB was overruling him on picks?  Because the better job explanation is far more likely imo.  As for your claim about Pioli and BB moving on from guys again where is the proof?  That seems like an odd argument to make given your OP was about how BB overruled guys on picks, but now you're saying he and Pioli had some sort of arrangement?

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

"Well, they went wrong in many different directions on Jackson. If you want all the details, I suggest you read War Room by Michael Holley. Basically, every scout and WR coach Brian Daboll (who is back now) hated Chad Jackson. Said he was lazy and not very bright. But Belichick completely overrode them in favor of Urban Meyer. And instead of drafting Greg Jennings, the Patriots traded up and made the worst pick of Belichick's tenure.

The constant theme is the Patriots have chosen athletic ability over football smarts. People like to rail against the Wonderlic, but, I'm sorry, it's not just a coincidence that the only star the Patriots have drafted at WR -- Deion Branch -- also scored the highest by far at the position (don't know Edelman's, but I'm guessing it was also high).

The Patriots look for two things first: ability to catch, and to gain separation. Sorry, but they need to change it to: catch, ability to process the game/smarts and then go from there. There is no point drafting a guy who is not going to do what Brady wants because he's not going to get on the field. EVER"

Sounds like he is just relaying info from a book you suggested a lot of folks read. I have yet to read it in full so I have to assume this is true and if so, I wonder what BB is gonna do this year and if he will consider others opinions. I have always said u have to be careful with reccomendations from friends cuz all coaches want their guy to go high to make their programs look good.  So does this make him anti-bb and having an agenda by quoting from Holleys book and bringing attention to his MY way or high way drafting process?

I would have been one to be against the Jackson choice as well.  When that pick happened, I thought it may have been a situation where they felt that the IQ factor didn't matter because they could work around it. Obviously, it does matter.

I read War Room. Not a big fan of it because it was very repetitive from Patriot Reign. But, that was an interesting nugget.    I am sure that happens plenty where as the final decision maker BB chooses someone else over the scouts or others' choices. Clearly, it was a bad pick.

If you notice, I put a huge stamp on football IQ. It's the #1 metric for me for college prospects.  I think it was Getzo who brought up KSU's Chris Harper. Highest Wonderlic score. I think it matters. Now, I am not saying ignore everything else, but Tavon Austins as a 7 on that test is not a fit here. Preferably, I'd be looking for 20 (approx) or above. 

And no, that is not why I think Bedard is anti-BB. I noticed a change in his tone in writing about 4 months into his tenure here. It's pretty clear something happened where he didn't think he was getting enough from BB, possibly off a question he asked, etc.

Jeremy Ebert, while maybe never an NFL WR, is from Northwestern.  Not a school you just walk into.  Earl Bennett went to Vanderbilt.  One reason why I think he'd be a great addition here if somehow they could get him.

Lastly, the biggest strength of Donald Jones is his football IQ.  I don't think that is a coincidence and I wouldn't be shocked if he does a lot better here than people think.

ok, cool. Thanks for the honest, agenda-less response. That was real classy. I too am shocked that BB choose athleticm over smarts but we saw it with Ben Watson too. I think that just a time where he was thinking outside the box. I am confident he is on the right path in regards to finding a smart player that can fit, otherwise like Bedard sais, u are just wasting pics. I disagree with Bedards notions of def. going WR 1st round and possible double dipping. I thinking mostly defense with 5 picks.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Im not saying BB never listens, but this is why Pioli left and the way they handled matters was....if they couldnt agree on a player, they both agreed to go in a different direction, so basically they wouldnt take either guy and move on. So how many good talents did we pass up using that philosophy. Once Pioli left, the drafts got better, but these guys still arent lasting long here.

Pioli left for a better job.  Do you have any evidence that it was because BB was overruling him on picks?  Because the better job explanation is far more likely imo.  As for your claim about Pioli and BB moving on from guys again where is the proof?  That seems like an odd argument to make given your OP was about how BB overruled guys on picks, but now you're saying he and Pioli had some sort of arrangement?

I never said getting his own gig never played a part. The part about drafting I heard a while back. You will have to believe it, dont, or research it, but im gonna dig up something I know already for someone who is already skeptical. U can do that. I didnt say anyone overruled pics. These were bedards words from a book based on a book he read which I admitted, I didnt read. Am i in court now?....calm down and take it with a grain of salt

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rbetourne. Show rbetourne's posts

I scored a 46 on the Wonderlic---I was compared to Greg McElroy. Whoopde doo. At the same time---under 20 should be a concern. That is someone who is stupid and/or lazy. Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son. You really have to TRY to get under a 20--that is just amazing. Sorry, but that should be an eliminator. I am not sold on a wide receiver in the first round though--I would still go w/defensive game changer. If we got, through trades, another 2nd rounder would consider taking two receivers like we did w/Gronk and Hernandez. It will be interesting though--if BB doesnt go w/pass rusher in 1st or 2nd he would have to already have something in place w/Abraham or Freeney. I would be shocked if he didnt add depth on the defensive front.   Take the test: 

http://www.nicholascreative.com/footballiq/

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

It's why Parcells stormed outta here.........

Not really. Parcells didn't have the GM title.  He was over-ruled on the Glenn pick in 1996 and we don't get to that SB without that pick. Obviously, Glenn had issues personally and off the field and never really emerged through his career,  but if they had won that SB, I am not sure anyone would have cared.

It almost appeared like Parcells couldn't even enjoy that SB run that year because he was overruled on the Glenn pick.

That's how big Parcells's ego was/is.   There is this perception that he was the GM at that time and he wasn't.

I do think it could have been handled better by Kraft and him, but it wasn't. 

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

keep tripping all over yourself to deny giving parcells credit and recognizing he turned ur sorry organization around and mentored bellichick because it's laugh out loud funny

pathetic but still laugh out loud funny

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

good stuff been saying this for years without being on the inside or reading holleys book

here people jsu tsay how do you know. or worse

" bringing attention to his MY way or high way drafting process?"

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

I have no doubt that he has. My question would be, why hire scouts if you arent gonna listen to them? With all due respect to BB's knowledge, he cant scout during the year when he is coaching an NFL team and trying to win championships. Maybe im more biased cuz I wanted Jennings, thought he was a perfect fit and didnt require moving up. I watched the Elway to Marino 3030 last night and its amazing how much craziness happens on draft day... Im not saying BB never listens, but this is why Pioli left and the way they handled matters was....if they couldnt agree on a player, they both agreed to go in a different direction, so basically they wouldnt take either guy and move on. So how many good talents did we pass up using that philosophy. Once Pioli left, the drafts got better, but these guys still arent lasting long here.

to mislead most to think its nto a 1 man operation

19. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts