Rutgers . . . Rutgers . . . Rutgers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

Rutgers . . . Rutgers . . . Rutgers

Pats signed another Rutgers player today . . . now the Pats have the whole starting defensive backfield from Rutgers . . . (McCorty at Safety, Logan Ryan at CB - just drafted, Duron Harmon - the newly drafted safety, and now free agent Brandon Jones the other cornerback) . . . plus they drafted Rutgers linebacker Steve Beauharnais. Did Rutgers win the National Championship this year?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Re: Rutgers . . . Rutgers . . . Rutgers

Rutgers weren't the National Champs last year, but they did have a top 10 D.  Their D has been very good over the past few years.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

The Rutgers D was top 10 in the nation and the secondary was top 5. McCourty played and mentored Ryan  I don't if he played with either Harmon or Jones. Beauharnis might have played with DMac though and Francis played with all of them! Remember when you were younger and played sports the teams that generally won had one thing in common continuity! These guys are like having 6 brothers all on the same defense. They will all make the team unless they suffer injuries. Too bad Alex Silvestro is gone...LOL 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Who was the best Patriots player on the field last year?  Besides Tom?  Actually half the offense was a fireball hurtling across the sky like a Russian comet last year, but profootballfocus.com gave it up for Devin McCourty after Tom.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/05/02/pffs-top-101-of-2012-30-to-21/

BB has been drafting defensive backs for a decade, failure, failure, failure, and all of a sudden this kid McCourty tears it up.  Why?  Maybe it's because of his good work habits and his coaching.  Well, how did he get those work habits?  Was it Rutgers? 

Where can BB get some more defensive backs like McCourty?  Does the Rutgers coach have an effect on defensive backs the way BC turns out offensive linemen?  Is there something in the water at Rutgers?  Obviously there's something in the water, it's freakin New Jersey, but you know what I'm talking about.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:

Who was the best Patriots player on the field last year?  Besides Tom?  Actually half the offense was a fireball hurtling across the sky like a Russian comet last year, but profootballfocus.com gave it up for Devin McCourty after Tom.

BB has been drafting defensive backs for a decade, failure, failure, failure, and all of a sudden this kid McCourty tears it up.  Why?  Maybe it's because of his good work habits and his coaching.  Well, how did he get those work habits?  Was it Rutgers? 

Where can BB get some more defensive backs like McCourty?  Does the Rutgers coach have an effect on defensive backs the way BC turns out offensive linemen?  Is there something in the water at Rutgers?  Obviously there's something in the water, it's freakin New Jersey, but you know what I'm talking about.

Laughing

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kylerocks. Show kylerocks's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:

Haha, it's funny cause its true.  Seriously I don't think you can overrate continuity in a unit.  It will allow for different looks and attacking schemes earlier in the season and let's BB and Patricia tailor  the D gameplan to the opponent early and often.  This will produce more big plays, game changers, like we used to see back in the day.  And with two rookies and a second year guy it he division at QB this defense is going to wreak havoc.  It's going to be fun.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

It is overkill; Rutgers is no fooball powerhouse and whould have their lunch handed to them by ANY SEC football team.  BB should not be doing one-stop shopping at any school.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

This is funny, all these years watching Football and the Draft, never saw a Team do this. Maybe good, maybe not, I dont know.
    But they did save a lot on the budget for expenses. I wonder how many College Scouts the Pats have on their payroll?
    Me I like to deversify, reason competetion against the kids you are considering. I watch a lot of Big East games coming from Ct. That conference is nowhere near as strong as the SEC.
    Really have to trust BB and the Scouts on this.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to SilverSun's comment:

It is overkill; Rutgers is no fooball powerhouse and whould have their lunch handed to them by ANY SEC football team.  BB should not be doing one-stop shopping at any school.

BB should do pretty much whatever he wants where football is concerned. Nobody does it better, not even you!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I actually think it's an interesting philosophy to try out. I've never seen anything like it. But DMC's transition to safety has worked very well -- he's the first high-profile DB NE has drafted or acquired in years that has succesfully managed the dreaded sophomore slump and bounced back. I think that kind of character perhaps makes BB value the work they put in down in NJ. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

It will be interesting to see how this all pans out. After seeing Meriweather, Wheatley, Wilhite, Chung and Butler all come and go and with Dowling close to making that list, I say what can it hurt to try?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

The Rutgers D was top 10 in the nation and the secondary was top 5. McCourty played and mentored Ryan  I don't if he played with either Harmon or Jones. Beauharnis might have played with DMac though and Francis played with all of them! Remember when you were younger and played sports the teams that generally won had one thing in common continuity! These guys are like having 6 brothers all on the same defense. They will all make the team unless they suffer injuries. Too bad Alex Silvestro is gone...LOL 

The Rutgers D was top 10 in the nation and the secondary was top 5"

did not play top teams in the country.

we'll see

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

I actually think it's an interesting philosophy to try out. I've never seen anything like it. But DMC's transition to safety has worked very well -- he's the first high-profile DB NE has drafted or acquired in years that has succesfully managed the dreaded sophomore slump and bounced back. I think that kind of character perhaps makes BB value the work they put in down in NJ. 

character amd smarts bigtime. cb failure. lucky for him he could do safety adequately and that we didn thave 2 good safeties locked up. bb and secondary not so good on his own. 

should have goen free agents imo. adnnot over teh hilll ones.

hope vet wilson gets his "second life" and turns it around.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:

BB should do pretty much whatever he wants where football is concerned. Nobody does it better, not even you!

RT, actually BB is a only fair to middling at draft results, as you should be aware.  You all have mantra In Bill You Trust, but he has had many failures in past - many second round failures, aprticular DBs, but also Chad Jackson, Ron Brace others.......just sayin'

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to tenace4life's comment:

Pats signed another Rutgers player today . . . now the Pats have the whole starting defensive backfield from Rutgers . . . (McCorty at Safety, Logan Ryan at CB - just drafted, Duron Harmon - the newly drafted safety, and now free agent Brandon Jones the other cornerback) . . . plus they drafted Rutgers linebacker Steve Beauharnais. Did Rutgers win the National Championship this year?

Don't forget Francis on the DL...another Rutgers guy. Rumor has it that BB is trying to bring back the old red Patriot uniforms...so as to be in greater conformity with what they do at Rutgers. LOL!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to bredbruu's comment:

character amd smarts bigtime. cb failure. lucky for him he could do safety adequately and that we didn thave 2 good safeties locked up. bb and secondary not so good on his own. 

I think all of DMC's problems at corner were due to extremely poor safety play. First five games of his second year, anytime he got burnt, it wasn't by the receiver he was covering it was by the safety that either bit on play-action or was just completely out of place. I don't know how many times I saw him on his guy and then another receiver is wide open over the middle. He hands his guy off to the saftey playing over the top to pick up the guy in the middle and there was no safety because he was too busy,standing there, looking into the backfield.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

So Play-Action works. To make a Defender look into backfield. That split second is all the difference in the NFL.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

SEC all time record against the current Big East is 25 and 23.  They're just crushing the Big East

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

I think all of DMC's problems at corner were due to extremely poor safety play. First five games of his second year, anytime he got burnt, it wasn't by the receiver he was covering it was by the safety that either bit on play-action or was just completely out of place. I don't know how many times I saw him on his guy and then another receiver is wide open over the middle. He hands his guy off to the saftey playing over the top to pick up the guy in the middle and there was no safety because he was too busy,standing there, looking into the backfield.

That's the way I saw a lot of it too, mcCourty was left catching up, leading to flags, not turning back. McCourty is a very good player. I see nothing wrong with Belichick picking all of these guys.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Wait til next year.  Wesleyan has a deep team with 4-year starters and 7 members on the all-NESCAC team.   Where did BB go to school?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

would not even be a game. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

good observation. but, from traiinign camp or any game where he had and kept his guy form the line of scrimmage he got toasted/dusted/ beat. after year one he was poor as a cb (when going backward). no way around it.