Ryan Mallet: Can he be a 6'7" wide receiver?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgreenuws. Show bgreenuws's posts

Ryan Mallet: Can he be a 6'7" wide receiver?

After watching the end of the Miami game, in seemed the Pats really miss having a large receiver in red-zone situations. Gronk was the teams only tall target, and with him out there is not much in the way of someone to throw a "jump-ball" to.  As a matter of fact, of the seven wide receivers on the Patriots roster, only rookie Aaron Dobson is over six feet tall (6'3"). So, my question is, is there any sense in the Patriots using backup quarterback Ryan Mallet's large body (6'7", 253 lbs.) as tall target in must-score red-zone situations? He is HUGE, would tower above most db's, and would outweigh them by 50 lbs. Obviously he has big hands, and is comfortable holding the ball. I;m not saying this is a long-term solution, but I could see it working as a 2nd or 3rd option in some red-zone situations. And he would only be used in must-score situations, such as in close games, or in the playoffs. If Julian Edelman, Matt Jones, and Hines Ward could all make the switch from QB to WR, why can't Mallet be available to do so, at least on a few special occasions? Why do poeple think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from HunterThompsons45. Show HunterThompsons45's posts

Re: Ryan Mallet: Can he be a 6'7

Walk away from the coke spoon now.  That stuff will kill your brain.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

very dumb post.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

why are all these randies posting dumb stuff. jet troll work here

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgreenuws. Show bgreenuws's posts

Coke can kill. And I may be dumb. But I am not a Jets troll, I promise.

This is a serious, albeit a knowingly far-fetched, idea. The Patriots use to do this with Mike Vrabel all the time, and Mallet is actually taller than Vrabel, and nearly the same weight. I don't know much about Mallett's overall athleticism, but he is a professional athlete in the NFL, right? No idea what his catching abilities are like, but who would have thought a linebacker like Vrabel would be good in these exact type of redzone situations? Feel free to mock the stupidity of the quetion if you like, but I would like to know the actual reason it would not work (risk of injury too high, has terrible hands, etc.), if only to further my understanding of the game. Again, I am not saying I think this would definitely work, but why would it NOT work? Thanks.

To refresh your memory about Vrabel (from Wikipedia):

"Vrabel frequently checked in as a tight end in short-yardage situations, which made him an eligible receiver. Belichick took advantage of this in Super Bowl XXXVIII: in the fourth quarter, Tom Brady threw a 1-yard touchdown pass to Vrabel, making Vrabel the first defensive player to score a Super Bowl touchdown on offense since William "Refrigerator" Perry."

Despite Brady's penchant for throwing to Vrabel in such situations, teams were often unable to cover Vrabel properly. In Super Bowl XXXIX, Vrabel caught a 2-yard touchdown pass despite being held by Philadelphia's Jevon Kearse; The reception made him one of 17 players to catch two or more touchdown passes in Super Bowls.

Vrabel finished with twelve career receptions, all for 1- or 2-yard touchdowns (one in 2002, two in 2004, three in 2005, and two in 2007 in the regular season, and one each in Super Bowls XXXVIII and XXXIX) with the Patriots and one in 2009 and 2010 with the Chiefs (thrown by former Patriot Matt Cassel)."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

I know you're expecting this, but it still has to be done: 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

One thing I do know: you don't want to face Buffalo the last week of the season with them knowing they can knock you out of the entire playoffs if they win. That's the kind of situation that can fire up a division rival. Pats need this win. Fortunately I believe they realize the urgency. I expect a much different red zone approach - but not Ryan Mallet....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

Mallet is your only backup to Brady, and is not very athletic.  No.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

At 59 I can out run Mallett....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

Well, Hooman and Mulligan are both 6'4". It is more important to be able to get open and execute than having mere height. And if BB wants to develop someone in the mold of Vrabel, it should be Solder, who had played TE previously, before switching to playing tackle. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Ryan Mallett ran a 5.37 (Brady ran a 5.28).

With speed like that, something tells me he can't jump. When most DB's and even linebackers can jump nearly 40", and Mallett jumping 24", you're not getting an advantage.

Mallett has a great arm; his athleticism ends there.

Short answer: [insert another drug joke here]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I saw Casserly put a #2 draft choice return on trading for Cousins with his body of work....do the Pats keep Mallett? What is his trade value?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I saw Casserly put a #2 draft choice return on trading for Cousins with his body of work....do the Pats keep Mallett? What is his trade value?

Tough to say with Petty and mariotta staying in school the QB class next year got smaller. There is also rumblings that Hundley is going to stay in school. The more top end QB's that stay in school the higher Malletts value????

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

At 59 I can out run Mallett....

You don't look a day over 58.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

Hmmmm, you may be onto someth... No.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgreenuws. Show bgreenuws's posts

In response to nomadfan's comment:
     "If BB wants to develop someone in the mold of Vrabel, it should be Solder, who had played TE previously, before switching to playing tackle." 

Thanks, nomadfan. I did not know that Solder played Tight End his first two years at Colorado, before changing over to Tackle. With his even bigger size and pass-catching experience, I guess he would be a no-brainer over Mallett (if the Pats were looking for a Vrabel-like target in short-yaerdage situations). Of course, if you use him as a reciever, you would need somebdy else to fill in as LT on the play, which is no small task. I know he has lined up as a blocking tight end on some plays during his Patriots career, but does he have any catches or touchdowns?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

He can, but he can't.  He would but he won't. cause if he did he'd suck

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Mallett's ability to play redzone receiver only adds to his trade value in a weak quarterback class--RUSTY

I'm sorry, but that's funny^^

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to bgreenuws' comment:

After watching the end of the Miami game, in seemed the Pats really miss having a large receiver in red-zone situations. Gronk was the teams only tall target, and with him out there is not much in the way of someone to throw a "jump-ball" to.  As a matter of fact, of the seven wide receivers on the Patriots roster, only rookie Aaron Dobson is over six feet tall (6'3"). So, my question is, is there any sense in the Patriots using backup quarterback Ryan Mallet's large body (6'7", 253 lbs.) as tall target in must-score red-zone situations? He is HUGE, would tower above most db's, and would outweigh them by 50 lbs. Obviously he has big hands, and is comfortable holding the ball. I;m not saying this is a long-term solution, but I could see it working as a 2nd or 3rd option in some red-zone situations. And he would only be used in must-score situations, such as in close games, or in the playoffs. If Julian Edelman, Matt Jones, and Hines Ward could all make the switch from QB to WR, why can't Mallet be available to do so, at least on a few special occasions? Why do poeple think?

You said it all right here.  Stop thinking.  Thanks.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Mallett's ability to play redzone receiver only adds to his trade value in a weak quarterback class--RUSTY

I'm sorry, but that's funny^^

LMAO!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

I think if Mallet had the athletic ability to contribute to the team other than at QB, Bill would have utilized it by now.  I was hoping that when Tebow came into camp that he would be doing the same type of gig because of his athleticism... but if Timmy Tebow didn't... I doubt Mallet will. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Not dumb idea on the face value. However if you take in all the other stuff it is not that feasible. As for speed not really needed inside the 5 yard line. Quickness in the first two steps and ability to do the right route IMHO are needed. Which is what Vrabel did. 

Then as the 2nd Qb you are asking for trouble.

despite the sarcastic comments here I bet BB thought about it. I ALSo believe he has had others try it and none can do it as well as Vrabel did it.

btw Vrabel also did a great job of decoying the blocking aspect of it which made him successful. Mallet could not even come close to selling that part of the play.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgreenuws. Show bgreenuws's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

Not dumb idea on the face value. However if you take in all the other stuff it is not that feasible. As for speed not really needed inside the 5 yard line. Quickness in the first two steps and ability to do the right route IMHO are needed. Which is what Vrabel did. 

Then as the 2nd Qb you are asking for trouble.

despite the sarcastic comments here I bet BB thought about it. I ALSo believe he has had others try it and none can do it as well as Vrabel did it.

btw Vrabel also did a great job of decoying the blocking aspect of it which made him successful. Mallet could not even come close to selling that part of the play.

Thanks for making me feel like I'm not completely crazy, Jim. I realized it was not a great idea, but was more interested in understanding the real pluses and minuses of it. If you think about all the injuries on the team, and about how every player steps up and has to contribute sometime, and Mallet is still standing there, at 6'7", holding a clipboard, I think it is healthy to think "What else can this guy be doing for us?". And i agree, speed would not be a huge factor, as I imagine the plan would be for him to go out a few yards, turnaround, block with his body and get his long arms up high. Nothing complicated. But as a couple people have pointed out to me now, Nate Solder would be a much better option for a situation like that. He's bigger than Mallet, tougher, taller, played TE in college, and he's not the backup quarterback. And good point about Vrabel selling the blocking aspect. I would assume Solder would be far superior to Mallet in that way too. I'd like to see it happen in a game just once!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Nate Solder is 320 lbs, 6 foot 8, and with all that weight he runs 3 tenths of a second faster than Ryan Mallett.  Solder played tight end in college.  Mallett has no experience catching a football except in the shotgun.  Brady overthrew Solder once in the endzone this year, but he was open.  (Then again, Solder may be sidelined on Sunday.)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgreenuws. Show bgreenuws's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:

Nate Solder is 320 lbs, 6 foot 8, and with all that weight he runs 3 tenths of a second faster than Ryan Mallett.  Solder played tight end in college.  Mallett has no experience catching a football except in the shotgun.  Brady overthrew Solder once in the endzone this year, but he was open.  (Then again, Solder may be sidelined on Sunday.)

According to the NFL combine results, Solder also has a 32" vertical jump, and a 9'2" broad jump, both "Top Performer" numbers for an OL. And his 4.34 time in the 20-yd shuttle run is the second-fastet time by any O-lineman in the combine over the last six years! That is very impressive. I want to see this guy break-out as a TE on a play one of these days! I've forgotten all about that stupid Mallet idea now.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/nate-solder?id=2495232

Sections
Shortcuts