Ryan Mallet

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwhite1220. Show dwhite1220's posts

Ryan Mallet

I wonder what Mallet is thinking? First the trade rumors before the draft and now Tebow is in town? Will he be looking over his shoulder or will he show case his stuff during the preseason? I wonder???

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Ryan Mallet

In response to dwhite1220's comment:

I wonder what Mallet is thinking? First the trade rumors before the draft and now Tebow is in town? Will he be looking over his shoulder or will he show case his stuff during the preseason? I wonder???

First the trade rumors - I would have to think Mallett was hoping to get traded so he could have a chance at a starting job this year. Lets face it the Pats were asking for a mid 2nd or better for him. You only trade that high of a pick for a starter so he must have felt pretty good that they thought so highly of him to ask for that much.

Second bringing in Tebow - everyone in the world except for some blind faithful know Tebow isn't a legit NFL QB. Maybe he'll be a decent FB or 4th string TE but not a QB. Mallett also knows in camp especially you need a 3rd QB for the D to practice on and given what's currently on the market Tebow is no better or worse than anyone else they could have grabbed. Maybe it gives him a little incentive to work a bit harder but it's not like they are bringing in a fringe starting QB. They brought in a 3rd string ring master.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

[QUOTE]

everyone in the world except for some blind faithful know Tebow isn't a legit NFL QB.

[/QUOTE]

Everybody knew there were 198 better guys in the 2000 draft than Brady, and everybody also knew that Flutie just couldn't play in the NFL.

That's because everybody is sooooo smart.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

No idea what he's thinking but I'm guessing he's primarily focused on getting a handle on any nuances to the O that are being added this year.  I'm also guessing that he's reasonably certain he'll get his shot at a starting job eventually.  I doubt he considers Tebow much of a threat.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Tebow wont beat out Mallet.

Aaron Dobson # 17; Tom Brady's new best friend.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

everyone in the world except for some blind faithful know Tebow isn't a legit NFL QB.

[/QUOTE]

Everybody knew there were 198 better guys in the 2000 draft than Brady, and everybody also knew that Flutie just couldn't play in the NFL.

[/QUOTE]

Expect with Tebow people ignore the fact that he isn't a good QB and keep giving him a chance to fail.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I love Flutie but really what did he do at QB in the NFL? After a number of years in the CFL he finally broke out in the NFL to be a mediocre QB, who still put up better numbers than Tebow. Honestly would you want Flutie leading the Pats in his peak? He'd just be a place holder at best till they could get a top end QB. Other then 99' and 01' on horrible Bills and Chargers teams he never completed a season starting every game he played in. If Tebow has a similar career then he'll be nothing but another career backup who only got starts because of a lack of top end QB's in the league and a surplus of bad teams.

If you want to compare QB's though here's a great one to compare Tebow (11') and Russell (08'). Similar playing styles and very similar numbers. Main difference, Russell ate himself out of the league.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Tebow won't make it through camp or will get dumped after preseason.

Mallet isn't concerned about a guy who couldn't win the 2nd string QB job for the 28th offensively ranked Jets or could only complete 46% of his passes in his only significant playing time.

Even the Ryan Mallet threads are really Tim Tebow threads...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Expect with Tebow people ignore the fact that he isn't a good QB and keep giving him a chance to fail.

[/QUOTE]

The same could be said of Luck, except the spin is all positive instead of negative.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I love Flutie but really what did he do at QB in the NFL? After a number of years in the CFL he finally broke out in the NFL to be a mediocre QB, who still put up better numbers than Tebow. Honestly would you want Flutie leading the Pats in his peak? He'd just be a place holder at best till they could get a top end QB. Other then 99' and 01' on horrible Bills and Chargers teams he never completed a season starting every game he played in. If Tebow has a similar career then he'll be nothing but another career backup who only got starts because of a lack of top end QB's in the league and a surplus of bad teams.

If you want to compare QB's though here's a great one to compare Tebow (11') and Russell (08'). Similar playing styles and very similar numbers. Main difference, Russell ate himself out of the league.

[/QUOTE]

Give Flutie a break. By the time the NFL got over their penchant for being anal and brought him back he was 36 years old!

Russell in '08? No comparison. TT had a much better TD/INT ratio and was 7-4 compared to 5-10.

Compare TT's and Luck's stats and get back to me with your analysis.

Learn the game.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I agree with Wozzy..doesnt make it to the first game..

Mallett on the other hand I understand is showing that next step in camp. Much better foot work (a big earlier weakness), better with the touch passes, and still has the rocket arm. I am very anxious to see Mallett in camp and preseason, and I think the Pats pay him to keep him for the long term...with Brady possibly stepping away before his contract runs out. Mallett today is better than any first round choice in this years draft, and wouldnt surprise me if he is better than any next year. Dare I say Aaron Rodgers when mentioning Mallett?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I agree with Wozzy..doesnt make it to the first game..

Mallett on the other hand I understand is showing that next step in camp. Much better foot work (a big earlier weakness), better with the touch passes, and still has the rocket arm. I am very anxious to see Mallett in camp and preseason, and I think the Pats pay him to keep him for the long term...with Brady possibly stepping away before his contract runs out. Mallett today is better than any first round choice in this years draft, and wouldnt surprise me if he is better than any next year. Dare I say Aaron Rodgers when mentioning Mallett?

Hey Wozzy, does this constitute a positive posting?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Comparing Luck to Tebow is not even funny as a joke.  Luck would have walked in day one and started on the Jets, and they would have won more games than they did with Tebow, Snachez or the other guy.  

What Luck did as a rookie that you so easily dismiss is go 11-5 on a blown up team that everyone was agreed was going to be the worst team in the NFL last season.  He threw 627 times to Tebow's 271 attempts, and completed 54% to Tim's 47%?

Luck's offense ranked 18th in points with only a 26th ranked rushing average which means he was carrying the load. Tebow had the best rushing team, best defense with the Broncos and when he met a defense that had enough talent to force him to throw, he couldn't get a first down.

In the NFL you have to be able to pass, some QB's can run and are dangerous when they do, but they are only on a playoff team if they can pass first.  This isn't a case of like or dislike of Tim Tebow, I know you're saying "give the kid a chance" Babe, but look I like the guy, I don't hate religion, but Tebow will never a starting NFL QB unless God fixes his throwing motion.  

If he proves invaluable on special teams, is willing to play fullback, gives the defense good looks of opposing QBs in practice than he might make the squad, but even that I give long odds because who do you cut for his roster spot?

And Flutie was a great pro QB, he played his best ball in Canada so most of us didn't see it, but even in his later years in Buffalo he was the reason they won.  Warren Moon wasted away in Canada for his prime also, but it doesn't mean they weren't great QBs.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Russell in '08? No comparison. TT had a much better TD/INT ratio and was 7-4 compared to 5-10.

Learn the game.

you say learn the game and toss out win-loss records to prove your point rofl! I know the QB is the most important player on the field but Tebow didn't win those games as much as his kicker and D won those games so lets toss out win loss records right now and compare hard numbers should we (Italics lowest, boldhighest)?

Comp %       Att/game    Ave      Rating      TD/Att (pass)   Int/Att         Att

Russell 08'      53.8             24.5         6.6        77.1          3.53%           2.17%       368

Tebow 11'      46.5             24.5         6.4         72.9          4.43%          2.22%        271

Luck 12'          54.1           39.2         7.0        76.5           3.67%           2.87%        627

• For comp % Luck and Russell are clearly better than Tebow
    • For Att/game Luck clearly throws more while Russell and Tebow are dead even
    • For average yards per pass Luck is clearly better while Russell was better than Tebow
    • For Rating Rusell and Luck were again clearly better than Tebow
    • Tebow is better at TD/att ratio but throws the ball half as much as Luck so that's expected
    • For int/att ration it's actually fairly close between everyone but again Luck threw 12 less passes than both combined. Lets face it when you aren't throwing it down the field the chance of an int also decreases and Tebow rarely threw it past the sticks
    • Attempts clearly Luck threw more often which lowers ratio's

So the only catagories Tebow had any edge were ones most effected by numbers of times he was allowed to throw the ball (which wasn't many). Luck is clearly the better QB with Russell actually being the better QB than Tebow too. 

BTW, I did give Flutie a break. Even at 36yrs old he was still better than Tebow at 23

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I think you can summerize all the stats under the nice formula of QBR, perhaps the best QB stat available.

Luck QBR=65

Tebow QBR=29.9

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The same could be said of Luck, except the spin is all positive instead of negative.

[/QUOTE]

Really Babe, another Tebow is as good as luck post?  That makes 37.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

He's got competition now, and that's a good thing.  That brings out the best in good football players and brings out the worst in those that don't deserve to be playing in the NFL in the first place.  I don't want him complacent at holding a clipboard just casually biding his time, I want him hungry and spending extra time in the weight and film rooms. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Learn the game.

So let me get this straight....you are saying that Tebow is as good as Luck, and then telling people to "learn the game"??? Really???

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

In response to tanbass' comment:

[QUOTE]

Learn the game.

So let me get this straight....you are saying that Tebow is as good as Luck, and then telling people to "learn the game"??? Really???

[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if he knows how QB rating are calculated or the value of a greater sample to make a judgement - say 600 attempts to 300some attempts.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

Hold the presses, Babe.  Mallet says Tebow is a great QB.  Maybe you and he are right.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/12/ryan-mallett-patriots-have-three-great-quarterbacks/

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

TT is not the threat to RM's career as a starting QB. The real threat is the long list of college QBs who throw really well and are eligible to come out next year. 

That list is led by Bridgewater, McCarron, Murray, Boyd and Mariota.

That list also includes a lot of QBs who have >60% completion rates: Shaw, Carr, Fales, Pachall, Martinez, Hogan, Hundley, Fajardo, Lynch, Keeton, Renner, Driskel

Then there are those who had sub-60% completion rates but could improve this coming season: Miller, Mettenberger, Gardner, Thomas

Given where TB is in his career, I would not be surprised if BB starts carrying three QBs from hereon. Mallet will have competition, not this year, but probably next year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

One thing Tebow has over mallet is he can run. mallet is slow. if Tebow improves gets his mechanics on throwing he could be #2.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:

One thing Tebow has over mallet is he can run. mallet is slow. if Tebow improves gets his mechanics on throwing he could be #2.

QBs throw the ball, RBs run the ball. Speed doesn't mean anything to a QB who can move in the pocket and get the ball to the receiver other wise Brady, Brees, and Manning would all be in trouble.