Ryan Mallet

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Ryan Mallet

I've read a few people suggesting that a trade could happen with this player.  Considering his career one completion on four attempts, is there any reason to believe he holds a stitch of value?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Re: Ryan Mallet

Sure, based on his measurables and his college career. Same type of value any QB coming out of college would have. Be honest, would you rather be going into this season with Geno Smith and Mark Sanchez atop your depth chart, or Mallett? 

That's how he has value.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Coming out of Arkansas some scouts had him as a 1st round talent. So IF he has matured as a person and a QB wouldn't he have "value".

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Sure, based on his measurables and his college career. Same type of value any QB coming out of college would have. Be honest, would you rather be going into this season with Geno Smith and Mark Sanchez atop your depth chart, or Mallett? 

That's how he has value.

I'd take Sanchez or Smith over a guy who has zero experience.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

He's probably worth a 4th to 2nd round pick.

photo BBandtheRat_zpsc338a3a1.gif

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

That's how he has value.

Well, you could be the next GM of the NYJ then! Congrats.

Not me, Sanchez has experience at being a terrible QB. Where's the upside? If you want to land a high draft pick, then yeah go with him again. They're sure to finish in the 3-13 to 6-10 range.

Smith has less experience than Mallett.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

That's how he has value.

Have you seen Sanchez play?  I'd rather have the local high school QB be my starting QB over Sanchez.  He is simply awful.

Also, it doesn't make much sense to say you would take Smith over a guy with "zero experience."  Doesn't Smith have "zero experience"?  Mallett has learned under Tom Brady and BB for the past 3 years.  He has a cannon of an arm and is 6'6.  He has all the intangibles to be a good quarterback.  The knock on him coming out of college was that he was immature and wasn't ready to grasp and NFL offense.  Learning under TB and BB will help you overcome those obstacles.  When he becomes a FA, we will see what kind of demand he gets.  IMO, he will become a solid starter for an NFL franchise.

Geno is a gimmick QB that won't do anything in the NFL.  This was the worst quarterback draft in God knows when and EJ Manuel went in front of him.  That should tell you a lot about the prospects of Geno.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

He's probably worth a 4th to 2nd round pick.

photo BBandtheRat_zpsc338a3a1.gif

I don't understand why.  (Note:  Unlike many of the threads and posts here, this one isn't to cause an online brawl.  I'm trying to understand why some Pats fans believe this player has any value at all.)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

Have you seen Sanchez play?  I'd rather have the local high school QB be my starting QB over Sanchez.  He is simply awful.

Also, it doesn't make much sense to say you would take Smith over a guy with "zero experience."  Doesn't Smith have "zero experience"?

I have seen Sanchez play. 

My comment about Smith was an error.  I was thinking of Alex Smith.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

pure speculation on my part. In spite of his contract, TB plays this year and next and walks away. Mallett is the starting QB when TB walks

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

The only way Mallet is traded is if some team makes an offer Bill can't refuse, like a 1st rounder or a positional starter. Smile I don't see that happening.

Mallet stays unless they see Tebow as the future QB of the team. Surprised I don't see that happening either.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

pure speculation on my part. In spite of his contract, TB plays this year and next and walks away. Mallett is the starting QB when TB walks

I hope not.  That would leave him retiring at age 37.  Tom has already expressed that he wants to play until he's 40+ and to play for the Pats his entire career.  I still think he has that itch to go out and compete every Sunday.  He's just too competitive to walk away while he's still elite. (yes, I think he will still be elite when he's 37)

I wish Mallet was born 4 years later.  It would be a perfect transition to have Brady play until he's 40-41 and have Mallett take the reigns as Brady rides off into the sunset with another 1-2 rings.  Unfortunately, Mallett will garner a good amount of attention on the market next year so I don't see how he gets resigned.  If I'm BB/Kraft, I look into drafting a high round QB in 2016.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Sanchez, in my opinion, has also lost his confidence which I believe will further degrade his playing ability.  I've seen several discussions on trading Mallet with opinions ranging from 1st round pick in return to untradeable.  I'm of the opinion that Mallet, with the right team as a trading partner could bring the Pats perhaps a 2nd.  If he is traded, and I'm not sure if that's in the offing right now, it will probably be to a team outside the AFC East.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

So far, we've come up with:

He's tall.

He can throw the ball far.

He's been Tom Brady's backup.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

So far, we've come up with:

He's tall.

He can throw the ball far.

He's been Tom Brady's backup.

So how do you value any QB coming out of college? His measurables at the time had some scouts labeling him as a 1st round talent. what has diminished since then? If anything he has had time to mature both as a person and a proffesional and learn the game form one of the all time greats.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Really? What NFL experience does Geno Smith have?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

Really? What NFL experience does Geno Smith have?

He fixed it, TP, in a later post.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

He fixed it, TP, in a later post.

My bad...didn't see it. Thanks.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

The only possible argument for Mallet having any value is that coming out of Arkansas he had a 1st round grade according to some draftniks.  He supposedly fell because of attitude problems.  If he has made it through two years in the Pats' system and unseated the incumbent backup (Hoyer), then he probably has shown something to the Pats inre: potential.  Why do I think that?  Because the Pats have not hesitated to cut a third round QB (O'Connell) in year two of his development, so cutting a guy like Mallet isn't unprecedented and shows that they will move on sooner rather than later if warranted.  

To me, Mallet has not shown enough on the field to warrant anything better than a 3rd rounder or lower.  That is unless some team wants to take a chance on a kid that who was thought of highly talent-wise not so long ago and who has managed to make strides in the Pats' system.  Given the bust rate of QBs league-wide, it isn't a stretch that a team with extra picks and a need at QB could take a chance on him.  But I'd be shocked if the pick was higher than where he was drafted in the 3rd.   

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:

The only possible argument for Mallet having any value is that coming out of Arkansas he had a 1st round grade according to some draftniks.  He supposedly fell because of attitude problems.  If he has made it through two years in the Pats' system and unseated the incumbent backup (Hoyer), then he probably has shown something to the Pats inre: potential.  Why do I think that?  Because the Pats have not hesitated to cut a third round QB (O'Connell) in year two of his development, so cutting a guy like Mallet isn't unprecedented and shows that they will move on sooner rather than later if warranted.  

To me, Mallet has not shown enough on the field to warrant anything better than a 3rd rounder or lower.  That is unless some team wants to take a chance on a kid that who was thought of highly talent-wise not so long ago and who has managed to make strides in the Pats' system.  Given the bust rate of QBs league-wide, it isn't a stretch that a team with extra picks and a need at QB could take a chance on him.  But I'd be shocked if the pick was higher than where he was drafted in the 3rd.   

RESPONSE: I tend to agree with you. But, you never know. For example, there was the David Whitehurst trade between San Diego and Seattle, in 2010: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5005254  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from leonardo0110. Show leonardo0110's posts

The pats are stucked with Mallet on their roster, no team will take a chance on a player with character concern...he could be the next AH..and there goes another bad decision by the organization  and another wasted pick by BB

" Don't Judge Me Untill You've Become Perfect "

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to leonardo0110's comment:

The pats are stucked with Mallet on their roster, no team will take a chance on a player with character concern...he could be the next AH..and there goes another bad decision by the organization  and another wasted pick by BB

I sincerely hope that was sarcasm.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from leonardo0110. Show leonardo0110's posts

Yes it was...Here we have Ryan Mallet a player with 1st round talent who fell to the 3rd round( due to character concerns ) where the pats scooped him up ( they had him rated as the best QB in the '11 draft according to Lombardi ) he's on his third year and we haven't heard any negatives about his character since he's been here ( like we didn't with AH )..let's say all of a sudden he goes beserk and does something very stupid and wrongful...then most of these posters here will blame BB,Kraft,Brady, College coaches, etc...of his wrong doings..and they expect the organization to predict these type of things... it's absurd...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mike-J-D. Show Mike-J-D's posts

That's how he has value.

So you'd take a guy who has proven to stink over a guy who has the potential to not stink?  That's interesting.  I guess there is something to be said for knowing what you're getting...

Bottom line is he has good physical measurables and has served an apprenticeship under Brady.  Sure, not seeing him in games doesn't help his value but you don't see colege QBs in NFL games before they're drafted.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Yes it was...Here we have Ryan Mallet a player with 1st round talent who fell to the 3rd round( due to character concerns ) where the pats scooped him up ( they had him rated as the best QB in the '11 draft according to Lombardi ) he's on his third year and we haven't heard any negatives about his character since he's been here ( like we didn't with AH )..let's say all of a sudden he goes beserk and does something very stupid and wrongful...then most of these posters here will blame BB,Kraft,Brady, College coaches, etc...of his wrong doings..and they expect the organization to predict these type of things... it's absurd...

Although I am in absolute agreement in your point, were that to happen you must admit that the critics just might have to reason to be quite vocal.  I've been labeled a homer on more than one occasion and I will admit that, in general, I support most decisions that this organization makes.  My eyebrows would raise however were Mallet to go off the deep end.

All of that being said, I seriously doubt that will be the case with Mallet.  All in all, however, your point about the extremes that some are going to in order to criticize the organization are pretty much off the charts.

Sections
Shortcuts