Ryan Mallet

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Re: Ryan Mallet

In response to leonardo0110's comment:

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to leonardo0110's comment:

[QUOTE]

The pats are stucked with Mallet on their roster, no team will take a chance on a player with character concern...he could be the next AH..and there goes another bad decision by the organization  and another wasted pick by BB

" Don't Judge Me Untill You've Become Perfect "

I sincerely hope that was sarcasm.

[/QUOTE]

Yes it was...Here we have Ryan Mallet a player with 1st round talent who fell to the 3rd round( due to character concerns ) where the pats scooped him up ( they had him rated as the best QB in the '11 draft according to Lombardi ) he's on his third year and we haven't heard any negatives about his character since he's been here ( like we didn't with AH )..let's say all of a sudden he goes beserk and does something very stupid and wrongful...then most of these posters here will blame BB,Kraft,Brady, College coaches, etc...of his wrong doings..and they expect the organization to predict these type of things... it's absurd...

[/QUOTE]

lol I was hoping that was the case.  I agree completely. I’ve read some of your posts before and you seem like a good fan which is why I was surprised by the nature of your post.  I should have detected that you were just being facetious.  Cheers dude

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to Muzwell's comment:

[QUOTE]

Sure, based on his measurables and his college career. Same type of value any QB coming out of college would have. Be honest, would you rather be going into this season with Geno Smith and Mark Sanchez atop your depth chart, or Mallett? 

That's how he has value.

I'd take Sanchez or Smith over a guy who has zero experience.

[/QUOTE]

Have you seen Sanchez play?  I'd rather have the local high school QB be my starting QB over Sanchez.  He is simply awful.

Also, it doesn't make much sense to say you would take Smith over a guy with "zero experience."  Doesn't Smith have "zero experience"?  Mallett has learned under Tom Brady and BB for the past 3 years.  He has a cannon of an arm and is 6'6.  He has all the intangibles to be a good quarterback.  The knock on him coming out of college was that he was immature and wasn't ready to grasp and NFL offense.  Learning under TB and BB will help you overcome those obstacles.  When he becomes a FA, we will see what kind of demand he gets.  IMO, he will become a solid starter for an NFL franchise.

Geno is a gimmick QB that won't do anything in the NFL.  This was the worst quarterback draft in God knows when and EJ Manuel went in front of him.  That should tell you a lot about the prospects of Geno.  

[/QUOTE]

Not sure why people think backing up Brady or learning under BB gives a QB so much value. Cassel is the only former back up of Brady's to do anything (and he lost his starting job and got cut four years into a six-year deal). It is not like Kevin O'Connell, Matt Gutierrez, or Brian Hoyer took the NFL by storm after leaving the Patriots.

Where does the idea that Mallett is being groomed to replace Brady when he retires come from. Has Brady or BB ever said anything at all to that effect? If that is true and Brady plays out his contract, Mallett will 30 when he takes over the team in 2018.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:

Sure, based on his measurables and his college career. Same type of value any QB coming out of college would have. Be honest, would you rather be going into this season with Geno Smith and Mark Sanchez atop your depth chart, or Mallett? 

That's how he has value.

Have you seen Sanchez play?  I'd rather have the local high school QB be my starting QB over Sanchez.  He is simply awful.

Also, it doesn't make much sense to say you would take Smith over a guy with "zero experience."  Doesn't Smith have "zero experience"?  Mallett has learned under Tom Brady and BB for the past 3 years.  He has a cannon of an arm and is 6'6.  He has all the intangibles to be a good quarterback.  The knock on him coming out of college was that he was immature and wasn't ready to grasp and NFL offense.  Learning under TB and BB will help you overcome those obstacles.  When he becomes a FA, we will see what kind of demand he gets.  IMO, he will become a solid starter for an NFL franchise.

Geno is a gimmick QB that won't do anything in the NFL.  This was the worst quarterback draft in God knows when and EJ Manuel went in front of him.  That should tell you a lot about the prospects of Geno.  

Not sure why people think backing up Brady or learning under BB gives a QB so much value. Cassel is the only former back up of Brady's to do anything (and he lost his starting job and got cut four years into a six-year deal). It is not like Kevin O'Connell, Matt Gutierrez, or Brian Hoyer took the NFL by storm after leaving the Patriots.

Where does the idea that Mallett is being groomed to replace Brady when he retires come from. Has Brady or BB ever said anything at all to that effect? If that is true and Brady plays out his contract, Mallett will 30 when he takes over the team in 2018.

Frank, I have a simply analogy.  Say, you’re a rising senior in college majoring in Finance and you just interned at Goldman Sachs, the largest/most successful investment bank in the world.  You have a great experience with the company and become an expert at the most challenging financial tasks because you learned under the smartest/most successful bankers in the field.  Are you going to tell me you won’t appeal to other companies when you apply for jobs after you graduate more so than some Average Joe who interned at a local commercial bank when the two of you apply?  It’s the same concept.

Tom Brady is Goldman Sachs.  He has tutored/mentored Mallett for the past 3 years.   I would think learning from one of the greatest QBs to ever play the game adds intangible value to your resume.  Plus, the fact that his immaturity was the biggest knock on him coming out of college makes Tom Brady’s impact on him that much greater.  Tom Brady is the ideal professional to learn from because of the way he approaches the game.  Mallet is 6’6, rocket arm, awesome college stats in the toughest division in the NCAA, and has learned from the greatest.  That adds to a nice resume.

As for Cassell, Gutierrez, O’Connell, and Hoyer: none of those QBs have the skillset and physical tools that Mallett has.  That’s a lame comparison.  Cassell hadn’t started a game since high school.  Hoyer was a nobody at MSU.  O’Connell wasn’t that great at SDSU.  And Gutierrez...who?

Lastly, I don’t think anybody is specifically saying that Mallett is the heir to the throne when Brady retires but rather if Brady were to retire within the next 2 years, Mallett would step in and become the starter.  Why is that such a foreign concept?  It’s what Rodgers did in GB learning from one of the greats in Brett Favre.  I personally don’t think Mallett will replace Brady because I believe Brady has another 4-6 seasons of elite play before he retires.  It’s not fair to Mallett to have him stick around to be the backup and obviously he won’t do that.  But say for instance Brady gets hurt, BB trades him, or Brady changes his mind and has plans to retire within the next 2 years, then yes, I see Mallett replacing Brady here in NE.

Edit: I apologize for the skewed fonts.  This site makes a simple cut and paste from Word a nightmare.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

That's how he has value.

Irish, I think we have to be careful on how bad we rank on Sanchez. I know he has regressed the last couple years but lets not act like he cant complete a pass. The more you make him out to be a scrub, the worse BB's defense look. I mean lets not forget, he chewed up our D in the playoffs 3 years ago and had another few big reg. season wins vs our team, so lets just keep in perspective. I know we like to rag on the jets, but lets not forget the time where our Defense couldnt stop this Bum

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

[QUOTE]

That's how he has value.

Irish, I think we have to be careful on how bad we rank on Sanchez. I know he has regressed the last couple years but lets not act like he cant complete a pass. The more you make him out to be a scrub, the worse BB's defense look. I mean lets not forget, he chewed up our D in the playoffs 3 years ago and had another few big reg. season wins vs our team, so lets just keep in perspective. I know we like to rag on the jets, but lets not forget the time where our Defense couldnt stop this Bum

[/QUOTE]

After last season, I'm not sure any past accomplishments can be made as a valid argument for Sanchez.  He was downright pathetic and you can tell his confidence is shot.

His first two seasons?  Yeah, he played pretty well but remember he had a Top 3 Defense and a Top 5 run game.  The Jets did a great job protecting him his first couple seasons but when that D deteriorated and their run game became obsolete, he was exposed.  He cannot win the team games.  He is getting paid like a good QB but he doesn't perform anywhere near he should be while getting paid that money.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

That's how he has value.

"chewed it up"??

I had no idea getting short field after short field after short field and them running the ball a lot is Sanchez "chewing up" the D. lmao

Please, Shizzles.  NE started 4 rookies on D in 2010. No one is claiming that D was ready to take the league by storm, but please.  Mark Sanchez has never "chewed up" a Patriots defense before.

Handing it off to Shonn Greene or hitting some slants or a pass on a bootleg shouldn't be what anyone woud credit to be a quality QB.

Mark Sanchez sucks. He's arguably the worst QB in the NFL right now.  Brandon Weeden is better than Marl Sanchez.

I agree, Sanchez does S*ck. I never said otherwise. I said, Him sucking when he usually fairs well against us while other teams always stymie him is proving my point that folks here, LEAD BY YOU, have been overating this Defense for a while. I dont need to make things up, the facts are there, but your revisionist history wont entertain it, so just in case you forgot....I post it. This is why fans are STILL bringing up B*tt Fumble because it was his worse game against us. Prior to that, he always played decent and even great in a few games.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/881132-jets-vs-patriots-mark-sanchez-has-the-potential-to-be-a-patriots-killer

Read it weep Troll!  (referring to rusty)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Also, it doesn't make much sense to say you would take Smith over a guy with "zero experience."  Doesn't Smith have "zero experience"?

I have seen Sanchez play. 

My comment about Smith was an error.  I was thinking of Alex Smith.

[/QUOTE]

Uh-huh. Sure you were.  How about this? You know nothing about football or the NFL. How about that?

You keep asking for assistance in analyzing Mallett's value, people tell you logical and reasoned answers yet somehow Mallett was not a 1st rd projected QB in the 2011 draft, lighting up the best conference in college football as a senior, huh?

Accuracy, arm strength, all the measurables are there, and now he's trained under Brady for 2 seasons?  Yes, let me pay Geno Smith or EJ Manuel in the 1st rd and pretend they were better in college.  lmao

[/QUOTE]

Not to nitpick, but Geno Smith's final year in college vs. Ryan Mallet's final year. Smith had a better completion percentage (71% vs 65%), more yards (4205 vs 3869), more TDs (42 vs 32), and fewer interceptions (6 vs 12). So technically, Smith was better in college. 

I keep asking why people think "training under Brady" is going to make him great. How did that work out for Hoyer, O'Connell, or Gutierrez?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

I keep asking why people think "training under Brady" is going to make him great. How did that work out for Hoyer, O'Connell, or Gutierrez?

[/QUOTE]

I answered that question above.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Rusty, why do always point out that BB started 4 rooks that year? I mean they WERE good picks right?  One was all pro, right. Doesnt BB always say "I dont put players on the field unless I trust them"  So he didnt feel he was handicapped or he would have made a move. Stop making excuses for the Best Coach/GM of all Time. It looks Dumb. What I would ask you is why, when you look at Sanchez QBR rating from team to team, it look like this

Vs Bmore, 56 rating

Vs Pats, 124 rating

Vs Miami 120 rating

Vs Buffalo, 105 rating

After our division, Sanchez never had a rating over 100 for the rest of the year outside of Houston with a 100 even. Soooo, what that does that say? BB's defense have been NO better the last few years then Miami, Buffalo, - the bottom feeders. Further proving the point that you CAN go to a SB with a lousy D, but you need a QB! Which WE Have. A QB masks that lousy D all year in reg. season until the competition gets better, stakes get higher.  Now you take Brady out the equation as you have been begging for, you have a Buffalo/Miami equilavent. Plain and Simple. Why does Sanchez S*ck against the whole league but plays lights out vs the Pats and afc east up until his weapons left?

I mean you could argue the point of playing in the same division. That makes the game closer, but doesnt explain the difference in QBR for the rest of the league. Thats BB's bend but dont break BS.

sorry to get off topic 

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Bleacher Report.  Oh my.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

take everything written about Mallett and throw it out the window. go to practice, and watch him. he is electric throwing the ball. he is better than Bledsoe throwing, has similar pocket awareness to what Peyton, Brady and Marino do in the pocket (albeit with out there experience in honing that awareness). His ball hums when he throws it.

He needs to work on learning the offense, touch passing, and not forcing throws...he is the complete package of what this team wants and needs from a QB as long as he can master the offense.

I am serious, in 2 years, as TB is in an inevitable decline at 37/38...the PAts are going to nudge him for Mallett...everyone will take the high road, but BB will know when it is time, and he knows Mallett is the man for the job post TB

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

[QUOTE]

He's probably worth a 4th to 2nd round pick.

photo BBandtheRat_zpsc338a3a1.gif

I don't understand why.  (Note:  Unlike many of the threads and posts here, this one isn't to cause an online brawl.  I'm trying to understand why some Pats fans believe this player has any value at all.)

[/QUOTE]

He was rated pretty highly from college but dum bass off field issues dropped his stock. Bigtime arm. Has behaved in the years since college. Won the backup job from Hoyer. Been around BB and Brady for a while.

These things translate to value. The question is how much. I'm guessing a 2 to 4. Not saying a smart GM would give up a 2 for him. But we all know many NFL GMs aren't that smart.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Rusty, why do always point out that BB started 4 rooks that year? I mean they WERE good picks right?  One was all pro, right. Doesnt BB always say "I dont put players on the field unless I trust them"  So he didnt feel he was handicapped or he would have made a move. Stop making excuses for the Best Coach/GM of all Time. It looks Dumb. What I would ask you is why, when you look at Sanchez QBR rating from team to team, it look like this

Vs Bmore, 56 rating

Vs Pats, 124 rating

Vs Miami 120 rating

Vs Buffalo, 105 rating

After our division, Sanchez never rating over 100 for the rest of the year outside of Houston with a 100 even. Soooo, what that does that say. BB's defense have been NO better the last few years then Miami, Buffalo, - the bottom feeders. Further proving the point that you CAN go to a SB with a lousy D, but you need a QB! Which WE Have. A QB masks that lousy D all year in reg. season until the competition gets better, stakes get higher.  Now you take Brady out the equation as you have been begging for, you have a Buffalo/Miami equilavent. Plain and Simple. Why does Sanchez S*ck against the whole league but plays lights out vs the Pats and afc east up until his weapons left?

I mean you could argue the point of playing in the same division. That makes the game closer, but doesnt explain the difference in QBR for the rest of the league. Thats BB's bend but dont break BS. Cost us a Ring in 2010.

sorry to get off topic, but peo

Becaause it matters. Very clearly, to the educated fan, BB was rebuilding with youth. Spikes was a good pick, yes. As was McCourty. But, they were young and inexperienced.

The Jets knew BB would need to rebuild, so they loaded up and went for it in a 2 year window. We've been overt this 100 times. They failed miserably.

That was the WEAKEST any BB team had been outside of 2009, or 2002's team, another season in transition. You thought we could win a ring and beat a GB in 2010? Wow. Talk about delusion.

A LOT would have needed to go right if we were going to be playing in a SB in 2010.  A lot.  Like, Brady throwing 4 TDs, 0 INTs, us picking Rodgers twice, maybe a STs or Def TD, etc. Stuff like that.

GB was MUCH further along, 5 years into their teambuild.  So, you might want to recalibrate your delusion meter. lol

This is what I mean about fans like you. You see BB on the sidelines, Brady under Center and think "we are a SB team right now".    I kept telling you and others to be patient. A teambuild cannot happen overnight. This is football, not the NBA.

Show me a defense that starts 4 rookies and I'll show you one with some flaws.  Congrats to Mark Sanchez for looking serviceable, managing not to turn it over, and help win a playoff game. But, "chewing up"? Please, dude.

You have this habit of praising the opponent almost to try to frame it like whatever BB did was so bad, the other team is clearly superior. That wasn't even the case in that game, so just forget it. We had blasted them 45-3 6 weeks earlier. 

Maybe we won't get off topic if you don't try to sneak in a troll type comment that needs to be squared up and confronted?

"You thought we could win a ring and beat a GB in 2010? Wow. Talk about delusion"

Thanks for your reply, but I dont recall saying anything about G.B ...AT All. Never said we would beat them, or any of that.(but why would YOU concede defeat with BB at the helm) This is when you start to get off track and change the subject so the people just coming in cant see the point I made. You absolutely glossed over my Sanchez analysis with all the hard research I did and proceeded to talk about NOTHING that I adressed or spoke of. Thats you in a nutshell. Deflect, Deflect, and Use weapons of mass DISTRACTION!  Does Sanchez S*ck or not and if so, why does he fair so well vs the Pats defense expect for a couple games?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

When the original Mallet trade thread was started I thought the only way he would get traded was if some GM was enamoured with him (prior to 2013 draft). Now I only think it happens if someone's QB is injured during pre-season. Yes he has value, but I like him as back-up QB on the roster more than say Mike Kafka. It's not so much that Mallet is greatest back-up in history as it is that there is dearth of both quality starting QBs and quality back-ups.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

take everything written about Mallett and throw it out the window. go to practice, and watch him. he is electric throwing the ball. he is better than Bledsoe throwing, has similar pocket awareness to what Peyton, Brady and Marino do in the pocket (albeit with out there experience in honing that awareness). His ball hums when he throws it.

He needs to work on learning the offense, touch passing, and not forcing throws...he is the complete package of what this team wants and needs from a QB as long as he can master the offense.

I am serious, in 2 years, as TB is in an inevitable decline at 37/38...the PAts are going to nudge him for Mallett...everyone will take the high road, but BB will know when it is time, and he knows Mallett is the man for the job post TB

Now, that's a set of reasoning I can get behind.

Thank you.

I hope you're right.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

No one wants your ilk here.

No one else has suggested that I leave or that I don't belong.  Maybe you're thinking of yourself?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Annnd POOF!  Just like that he is Gone! But fret not, he will soon uncover one of his archives and be in midseason form by tommorow morning!  I mean really, this is sad. Rusty is going through accounts like underwears now a days. I mean this is like 3 times in a week. Is he really getting banned that quick now or is he just deleting his accounts after he gets owned on a topic?  Must be nice to talk out your A55 all day and sell wolf tickets only to take all the proof down and deny it never happens when you get exposed and return in astonishment and ask 'WHY ME???"   Oh My....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Annnd POOF!  Just like that he is Gone! But fret not, he will soon uncover one of his archives and be in midseason form by tommorow morning!  I mean really, this is sad. Rusty is going through accounts like underwears now a days. I mean this is like 3 times in a week. Is he really getting banned that quick now or is he just deleting his accounts after he gets owned on a topic?  Must be nice to talk out your A55 all day and sell wolf tickets only to take all the proof down and deny it never happens when you get exposed and return in astonishment and ask 'WHY ME???"   Oh My....

You praising Mark Sanchez and me pointing out how pathetic that is, is me being"owned"?

Also,  a handful of us "owned" NAS on the Mallett value and he waited until RKrap chimed in to pretend his assessment somehow was superior to Irish's, Muzwell's, etc.

Trolls try to control this board and the mods allow it.  That simple.

Im sorry, your posts were deleted. Did you ever get a chance to respond to my question??

I mean you are here making things up as usual. I never praised Sanchez. This started with Irish saying he S*cked worse than a H.S. Qb or something and people were piling on so I mentioned how good his numbers are against the pats in his career compared to his abysml numbers he puts up against every other team outside the AFC east and so folks should be careful in saying how bad he S*cks cuz its a negative against OUR D! If he is sooo bad, why did he send Us Packing in the playoffs with a lousy team? All the guys YOU clowned like Tomlison, J.T., Holmes, etc. You said the whole team S*cked and you were flying high talking Big after the 45-3 win, so WHAT HAPPENED! What that game the exception??  How does a guy who s*cks sooo bad with a S*ck a55 team play so well against us?  Last 2 years, they havent faired well after losing a lot of players but how is he worse? Its just his team went in the tank. I dont have to be a troll or be a jets fan to ask that. I mean I DID post an article saying the same from a source YOU used in this same thread so you cant use that angle. Come on rusty, give me something.

You cant answer , because if you do, you will have to shut up about Brady. With a good team around him, Sanchez went deep in the playoffs, once at our expense,. without a good team, you have b*tt fumbling. Can you cut Brady some slack now and realize a QB needs a Good team around  him, offensively AND defensively?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

That is quite a mouthful of conjecture.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

BadHabitude has.  Do you really think you can sell yourself as a Pats fan here?

I don't have to sell myself as a Pats fan anywhere.  Unlike you, I am not here to try to impress people.  I'm here to talk with Pats fans like myself.  I have a lot of fun on the B's board.  I'm branching out.  I haven't been poorly received by anyone.*

*You don't count.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Frank, I have a simply analogy.  Say, you’re a rising senior in college majoring in Finance and you just interned at Goldman Sachs, the largest/most successful investment bank in the world.  You have a great experience with the company and become an expert at the most challenging financial tasks because you learned under the smartest/most successful bankers in the field.  Are you going to tell me you won’t appeal to other companies when you apply for jobs after you graduate more so than some Average Joe who interned at a local commercial bank when the two of you apply?  It’s the same concept.

Tom Brady is Goldman Sachs.  He has tutored/mentored Mallett for the past 3 years.   I would think learning from one of the greatest QBs to ever play the game adds intangible value to your resume.  Plus, the fact that his immaturity was the biggest knock on him coming out of college makes Tom Brady’s impact on him that much greater.  Tom Brady is the ideal professional to learn from because of the way he approaches the game.  Mallet is 6’6, rocket arm, awesome college stats in the toughest division in the NCAA, and has learned from the greatest.  That adds to a nice resume.

As for Cassell, Gutierrez, O’Connell, and Hoyer: none of those QBs have the skillset and physical tools that Mallett has.  That’s a lame comparison.  Cassell hadn’t started a game since high school.  Hoyer was a nobody at MSU.  O’Connell wasn’t that great at SDSU.  And Gutierrez...who?

Lastly, I don’t think anybody is specifically saying that Mallett is the heir to the throne when Brady retires but rather if Brady were to retire within the next 2 years, Mallett would step in and become the starter.  Why is that such a foreign concept?  It’s what Rodgers did in GB learning from one of the greats in Brett Favre.  I personally don’t think Mallett will replace Brady because I believe Brady has another 4-6 seasons of elite play before he retires.  It’s not fair to Mallett to have him stick around to be the backup and obviously he won’t do that.  But say for instance Brady gets hurt, BB trades him, or Brady changes his mind and has plans to retire within the next 2 years, then yes, I see Mallett replacing Brady here in NE.

Edit: I apologize for the skewed fonts.  This site makes a simple cut and paste from Word a nightmare.  

I think your analogy does not apply to football. Brady and BB have zero record of producing quarterbacks. There is no reason to think Mallett is any better than he was the day he was drafted until we see him play in regular season NFL games.

What back-up QB from any team was traded for anything meaningful without ever doing something in a regular season game? Even guys like Matt Flynn who got three years and $20M from the Seahawks (to ultimately be Wilson's back-up for one year), had two starts before he hit got that deal. Cassel had an entire season. 

Based on track record there is no reason to think that simply being behind Brady and coached by Belichick raises a players value to other teams. Nevermind quarterbacks, what Patriots player has left and go onto do something meaningful on another team? 

BTW, Kevin O'Connell was also drafted in the third round, was 6'6" tall, and was a better athlete than Mallett is. His year under Brady and BB turned out to be meaningless.

I think Mallett can be a solid NFL quarterback. I just think these claims that he is somehow worth a first or second round pick because he has held a clipboard in New England for two years are pure conjecture.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

So, you're wrong. There is one QB they developed, for 5 seasons behind Brady.

It makes little sense to suggest that a player was "developed" by this or that person.  While it's possible, there is nothing to emphatically proves that a player turned out to be the player he is simply because he existed in a certain program.

Considering the amount of failures to come from ClipboardTown in Foxboro, I think it's more likely that Cassel became what he did because of who he was, not because of who's clipboard he carried.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

So far, we've come up with:

He's tall.

He can throw the ball far.

He's been Tom Brady's backup.

You can add Rusty got caught up in pre draft media hype regarding this player (a typical uneducated fan habit).

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

[QUOTE]

I think your analogy does not apply to football. Brady and BB have zero record of producing quarterbacks. There is no reason to think Mallett is any better than he was the day he was drafted until we see him play in regular season NFL games.

What back-up QB from any team was traded for anything meaningful without ever doing something in a regular season game? Even guys like Matt Flynn who got three years and $20M from the Seahawks (to ultimately be Wilson's back-up for one year), had two starts before he hit got that deal. Cassel had an entire season. 

Based on track record there is no reason to think that simply being behind Brady and coached by Belichick raises a players value to other teams. Nevermind quarterbacks, what Patriots player has left and go onto do something meaningful on another team? 

BTW, Kevin O'Connell was also drafted in the third round, was 6'6" tall, and was a better athlete than Mallett is. His year under Brady and BB turned out to be meaningless.

I think Mallett can be a solid NFL quarterback. I just think these claims that he is somehow worth a first or second round pick because he has held a clipboard in New England for two years are pure conjecture.

[/QUOTE]

Respectfully disagree.

Side-note: isn’t that what all of our opinions/predictions are?  Conjecture?  It doesn’t really make sense to say that one side’s opinions/predictions are conjecture while implying the opponents take should be considered fact.

I didn’t think my analogy was flawless; however I thought it held merit.  I think it’s the same concept.  Most successful bankers thrive off of learning from people that are older and more intelligent themselves.  Learning from top professionals adds intangible value.  Draft experts have always stated that Mallett has the physical measurables (arm strength, football IQ, accuracy, height, etc.) to be an elite QB but the knock on him was his maturity and growth.  I don’t see how a kid can’t grow as a person, maturity wise, learning as a protégé from one of the all-time greats.  Plus, NE employs one of the most complex offensive systems in the league.  If BB trusts Mallett to be the only other QB on the depth chart, meanwhile learning from Brady 24/7 at practice and in-games, you can bet that he’s grown intelligently as well.  You have the right to disagree and I respect that opinion.

Back to O’Connell:  He went to San Diego State.  They play in the Mountain West.  That is freshmen ball (at best) compared to the SEC.  O’Connell was never touted as a top QB prospect.  Mallett was.  Maturity issues shot his draft stock down.

BTW, I would say Matt Cassel leading the Patriots to an 11-5 record in his first year starting as a QB since high school should shoot down the notion that “Brady and BB can’t develop quarterbacks.”  He had a good first year with KC and then fell off the map just like a ton of other players that have played for that franchise over the past few years.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Apparantly he was a good college QB but that doesn't translate. At the NFL level I've seen nothing to suggest that he's good, and nothing to see suggest that he's bad.... in fact I've seen nothing at all. I think his value may be a bit overrated by fans because he's Brady's back up. That being said, some team may be willing to gamble on him, but I wouldn't expect much in return.