Ryan Mallet

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Re: Ryan Mallet

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to russgriswold's comment:

[QUOTE]

So, you're wrong. There is one QB they developed, for 5 seasons behind Brady.

It makes little sense to suggest that a player was "developed" by this or that person.  While it's possible, there is nothing to emphatically proves that a player turned out to be the player he is simply because he existed in a certain program.

Considering the amount of failures to come from ClipboardTown in Foxboro, I think it's more likely that Cassel became what he did because of who he was, not because of who's clipboard he carried.

[/QUOTE]

What "failures" are you referring to?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

All of Brady's backups not named Cassel.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:

Frank, I have a simply analogy.  Say, you’re a rising senior in college majoring in Finance and you just interned at Goldman Sachs, the largest/most successful investment bank in the world.  You have a great experience with the company and become an expert at the most challenging financial tasks because you learned under the smartest/most successful bankers in the field.  Are you going to tell me you won’t appeal to other companies when you apply for jobs after you graduate more so than some Average Joe who interned at a local commercial bank when the two of you apply?  It’s the same concept.

Tom Brady is Goldman Sachs.  He has tutored/mentored Mallett for the past 3 years.   I would think learning from one of the greatest QBs to ever play the game adds intangible value to your resume.  Plus, the fact that his immaturity was the biggest knock on him coming out of college makes Tom Brady’s impact on him that much greater.  Tom Brady is the ideal professional to learn from because of the way he approaches the game.  Mallet is 6’6, rocket arm, awesome college stats in the toughest division in the NCAA, and has learned from the greatest.  That adds to a nice resume.

As for Cassell, Gutierrez, O’Connell, and Hoyer: none of those QBs have the skillset and physical tools that Mallett has.  That’s a lame comparison.  Cassell hadn’t started a game since high school.  Hoyer was a nobody at MSU.  O’Connell wasn’t that great at SDSU.  And Gutierrez...who?

Lastly, I don’t think anybody is specifically saying that Mallett is the heir to the throne when Brady retires but rather if Brady were to retire within the next 2 years, Mallett would step in and become the starter.  Why is that such a foreign concept?  It’s what Rodgers did in GB learning from one of the greats in Brett Favre.  I personally don’t think Mallett will replace Brady because I believe Brady has another 4-6 seasons of elite play before he retires.  It’s not fair to Mallett to have him stick around to be the backup and obviously he won’t do that.  But say for instance Brady gets hurt, BB trades him, or Brady changes his mind and has plans to retire within the next 2 years, then yes, I see Mallett replacing Brady here in NE.

Edit: I apologize for the skewed fonts.  This site makes a simple cut and paste from Word a nightmare.  

I think your analogy does not apply to football. Brady and BB have zero record of producing quarterbacks. There is no reason to think Mallett is any better than he was the day he was drafted until we see him play in regular season NFL games.

What back-up QB from any team was traded for anything meaningful without ever doing something in a regular season game? Even guys like Matt Flynn who got three years and $20M from the Seahawks (to ultimately be Wilson's back-up for one year), had two starts before he hit got that deal. Cassel had an entire season. 

Based on track record there is no reason to think that simply being behind Brady and coached by Belichick raises a players value to other teams. Nevermind quarterbacks, what Patriots player has left and go onto do something meaningful on another team? 

BTW, Kevin O'Connell was also drafted in the third round, was 6'6" tall, and was a better athlete than Mallett is. His year under Brady and BB turned out to be meaningless.

I think Mallett can be a solid NFL quarterback. I just think these claims that he is somehow worth a first or second round pick because he has held a clipboard in New England for two years are pure conjecture.

Matt Cassel had 27 TDs and 7 INTs under Weis in 2010 and was a Pro Bowl QB in the AFC.  I'd say if you had Weis working with Cassel every year, clearly, that proves BB developed Matt Cassel here.

In 2008, he was playing very well by midseason and towards the end in particular, taking less sacks and throwing fewer INTs. I would not recommend chaning OCs every year like Cassel had to deal with or what Alex Smith dealt with in SF for 7 years. Ironically, Smith replaces Cassel in KC and will do well.

O'Connell was cut after 1 year with THREE QBs on the roster. Mallet is Brady's back up and was not cut after 1 year.

So, you lose there, too.

Keeping score Rusty?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxrockursox. Show soxrockursox's posts

Well lets put a little spin on this just for fun,If i remember right BB is signed though2013 and no talk that Iam aware of signing him agian (could be wrong).Brady has a few years left ,so the question is when do they start keeping QBs then developing them then trading them just crazy,its time to start thinking about the future not just the present.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Ya see Rusty, Noone is gonna even take the rest of your statement seriously when you say Cassel played UNDER WEISS. Now once I slap you down again, you will try to say "I meant to say the Weiss offense, dont be a dope"  BUT, you continued your made up garbage by IF he had worked with him EVERY year so you clearly are saying Cassell was coached BY Weiss who hasnt worked here since He and Crennel Left AFTER our LAST SB WIN!!! Oh, the Irony and then proceed to tell someone they lose and THEY are wrong???!!?  I CANT!  Please! someone stop the Shirades and come from behind the curtain. This Troll has to be a Plant for our enjoyment....lol

Is this was he refers to as "owned" or "slapped around" or whatever?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

[QUOTE]

All of Brady's backups not named Cassel.

[/QUOTE]

I'm confused how Kevin O'Connell (3rd round pick around for a year), Matt Gutierrez (UFA), and Brian Hoyer (UFA) can be considered "failures" considering the lack of expectation put into any of the three.

How can a UFA be considered a failure?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I'm confused how Kevin O'Connell (3rd round pick around for a year), Matt Gutierrez (UFA), and Brian Hoyer (UFA) can be considered "failures" considering the lack of expectation put into any of the three.

Were they "developed" into successful players?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:

Frank, I have a simply analogy.  Say, you’re a rising senior in college majoring in Finance and you just interned at Goldman Sachs, the largest/most successful investment bank in the world.  You have a great experience with the company and become an expert at the most challenging financial tasks because you learned under the smartest/most successful bankers in the field.  Are you going to tell me you won’t appeal to other companies when you apply for jobs after you graduate more so than some Average Joe who interned at a local commercial bank when the two of you apply?  It’s the same concept.

Tom Brady is Goldman Sachs.  He has tutored/mentored Mallett for the past 3 years.   I would think learning from one of the greatest QBs to ever play the game adds intangible value to your resume.  Plus, the fact that his immaturity was the biggest knock on him coming out of college makes Tom Brady’s impact on him that much greater.  Tom Brady is the ideal professional to learn from because of the way he approaches the game.  Mallet is 6’6, rocket arm, awesome college stats in the toughest division in the NCAA, and has learned from the greatest.  That adds to a nice resume.

As for Cassell, Gutierrez, O’Connell, and Hoyer: none of those QBs have the skillset and physical tools that Mallett has.  That’s a lame comparison.  Cassell hadn’t started a game since high school.  Hoyer was a nobody at MSU.  O’Connell wasn’t that great at SDSU.  And Gutierrez...who?

Lastly, I don’t think anybody is specifically saying that Mallett is the heir to the throne when Brady retires but rather if Brady were to retire within the next 2 years, Mallett would step in and become the starter.  Why is that such a foreign concept?  It’s what Rodgers did in GB learning from one of the greats in Brett Favre.  I personally don’t think Mallett will replace Brady because I believe Brady has another 4-6 seasons of elite play before he retires.  It’s not fair to Mallett to have him stick around to be the backup and obviously he won’t do that.  But say for instance Brady gets hurt, BB trades him, or Brady changes his mind and has plans to retire within the next 2 years, then yes, I see Mallett replacing Brady here in NE.

Edit: I apologize for the skewed fonts.  This site makes a simple cut and paste from Word a nightmare.  

I think your analogy does not apply to football. Brady and BB have zero record of producing quarterbacks. There is no reason to think Mallett is any better than he was the day he was drafted until we see him play in regular season NFL games.

What back-up QB from any team was traded for anything meaningful without ever doing something in a regular season game? Even guys like Matt Flynn who got three years and $20M from the Seahawks (to ultimately be Wilson's back-up for one year), had two starts before he hit got that deal. Cassel had an entire season. 

Based on track record there is no reason to think that simply being behind Brady and coached by Belichick raises a players value to other teams. Nevermind quarterbacks, what Patriots player has left and go onto do something meaningful on another team? 

BTW, Kevin O'Connell was also drafted in the third round, was 6'6" tall, and was a better athlete than Mallett is. His year under Brady and BB turned out to be meaningless.

I think Mallett can be a solid NFL quarterback. I just think these claims that he is somehow worth a first or second round pick because he has held a clipboard in New England for two years are pure conjecture.

Matt Cassel had 27 TDs and 7 INTs under Weis in 2010 and was a Pro Bowl QB in the AFC.  I'd say if you had Weis working with Cassel every year, clearly, that proves BB developed Matt Cassel here.

In 2008, he was playing very well by midseason and towards the end in particular, taking less sacks and throwing fewer INTs. I would not recommend chaning OCs every year like Cassel had to deal with or what Alex Smith dealt with in SF for 7 years. Ironically, Smith replaces Cassel in KC and will do well.

O'Connell was cut after 1 year with THREE QBs on the roster. Mallet is Brady's back up and was not cut after 1 year.

So, you lose there, too.

Well, Cassel was only behind Brady for three seasons (2005-2007). He developed so well that he lost his starting job with two-and-a-half seasons left on his contract in KC. Pro-bowls are meaningless.  Brandon Meriweather is a two time pro-bowler. Out of the six young QB's who have backed up Brady in his time as the Patriots starter, one has won an NFL game as a starter. That is a solid track record.

I am not saying that I do not think Mallett can play in the NFL. My main point is that I do not see a team giving up first or second draft pick simply based on the fact that Mallett has "been in the Patriots system" for three years. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Lame comeback, dude.  

I want to know how you think a UFA can be considered a failure.  It's very rare for UFAs to even make an NFL roster.  Now the bar is being set so high that if a UFA isn't developed into a 'successful player,' the no-risk investment is considered a "failure"? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

So far, we've come up with:

He's tall.

He can throw the ball far.

He's been Tom Brady's backup.

Who is Drew Bledsoe, Alex.    

I'll take American Presidents for $1000

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

[QUOTE]

So far, we've come up with:

He's tall.

He can throw the ball far.

He's been Tom Brady's backup.

Who is Drew Bledsoe, Alex.    

I'll take American Presidents for $1000

[/QUOTE]

Right you are, Catfish.

What moronic President signed the Federal Reserve Act into law? (No googling or you will be disqualified!)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Lame comeback, dude.  

I want to know how you think a UFA can be considered a failure.  It's very rare for UFAs to even make an NFL roster.  Now the bar is being set so high that if a UFA isn't developed into a 'successful player,' the no-risk investment is considered a "failure"? 

Maybe we're discussing two different subjects.  That wasn't a "comeback".  Man, everyone here seems to want to fight about everything that isn't a similar point of view.

The topic had been developing players.  Outside of Matt Cassel, I can't think of any of Brady's backups that have had successful careers.  You could make a case for Huard, but that wasn't really much of a career.

My point was simply that suggesting Cassel was developed in New England simply because he was the backup isn't really supported based upon the lack of success of the rest of the guys who held a similar role.  It's more likely that Cassel was simply a good player in waiting.

Where they came from (drafted, signed as a UFA) isn't really the point.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Lame comeback, dude.  

[/QUOTE]

I do not think that they are failures. I am just saying that despite what people on these forums think, Belichick does not have a history of developing young QBs into more than they were in the draft. Why would Mallett be an exception?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Lame comeback, dude.  

Maybe we're discussing two different subjects.  That wasn't a "comeback".  Man, everyone here seems to want to fight about everything that isn't a similar point of view.

The topic had been developing players.  Outside of Matt Cassel, I can't think of any of Brady's backups that have had successful careers.  You could make a case for Huard, but that wasn't really much of a career.

My point was simply that suggesting Cassel was developed in New England simply because he was the backup isn't really supported based upon the lack of success of the rest of the guys who held a similar role.  It's more likely that Cassel was simply a good player in waiting.

Where they came from (drafted, signed as a UFA) isn't really the point.

I apologize if my response insinuated that I wanted to fight; that surely was not the case.  Maybe I should have said retort/response/counter/etc.  I was seriously curious how you thought a UFA could possibly be a failure. 

You made a comment about NE being Clipboard City or whatever and then went onto say that there were a bunch of failures that came through at QB.  A UFA can't and shouldn't be considered a failure.

Think of the quality of players they're bringing in to be a back up.  Mostly UFAs.  They are simply an insurance policy in case he's injured.  If he does get injured, we're f'd anyways.  It's Tom Brady.  You aren't going to go investing some top pick or FA money on a back up QB when he's just going to sit behind Brady.  So the notion that BB/Brady should annually be developing these lower tier UFA/7th round draft pick back-up quarterbacks is asinine.

I agree that Cassel was already a decent player, but obviously Brady/BB helped develop him considering nobody gave the kid a chance since high school.  They have to receive some credit.  He's the only one to have a somewhat successful career, yes.  But who's to say Hoyer or Mallett wouldn't if they got the chance that Cassel got?  He was handed a Super Bowl caliber team for an entire season with no threat of replacement if he screwed up.  Methinks that if Hoyer or Mallett got that opportunity, they would do well, too.