Ryan Mallett

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATinPA. Show PATinPA's posts

Ryan Mallett

I recently read an article on profootballtalk.com that stated that draft analysts had Mallett slipping out of the first and possibly even out of the second round. I love Tom Brady and want to see him around till the end of his career, but I would be willing to use NE second 2nd or early 3rd to get Mallett. The kids upside is sick and has all the tools to be the heir apparent to Brady. If he flops.... no harm no foul. What does everyone else think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Ryan Mallett

For a 3rd he'd be worth a look. Like a Rodgers situation. Sit him on the bench and learn for 3 years. But, I wouldn't spend a 1st or 2nd on a QB this year. There are just way to many good players in area's that need to be improved to spend high on a QB

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

I hear the kid's not very intelligent on or off the field and on the field, he takes a few too many risks for my liking.

I just don't see this happening...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gulo. Show Gulo's posts

nope, ill take hoyer and his potential over Mallet and his 6ft 7in, slow release, q

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots1a2. Show patriots1a2's posts

If he is available with our number 2 second rounder I would take him easily! Let him sit for 2 or 3 years.He did play in the SEC right?? It wont happen b/c he will be gone in the first round...IF hes not then Im sure BB will be answering a ton of calls for that 33rd pick?? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

the pats need this draft to be of a similar caliber to last years, assuming they are not major players in free agency (outside of resigning their own), I really don't see the luxury of taking a flyer on a qb in the 2nd when there are fairly pressing needs elsewhere.  Not to mention what i've seem from Hoyer is better than anything Mallett has ever shown, dude's a clown

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Yeah, I'm also not in favor of using anything earlier than a 3rd rounder on a developmental guy.  And I think many here undersell Hoyer.  I'm a lot more impressed with him than I was with Matt Casell at the same points in their careers.  I could see Hoyer being just as good if not better.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

Mallett is the modern day Jeff George................stay away from this clown...........he will drop like a rock to the third round...........imho

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZachRudy. Show ZachRudy's posts

If the Pats were going QB in the second or third then I would preffer Colin Kaepernick.  He displayed a lot of raw talent in the Senior Bowl and would be a great developmental project behind TB.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

If the Pats need a QB and they see one that they've rated highly, then they should pull the trigger with a 2nd or 3rd rounder.  Not sure Hoyer is next in line, and they need to think about drafting Brady's replacement some day if Hoyer isn't the answer.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

I am not seeing that we need to draft a Q.B...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Mallet screams Ryan Leaf to me.

I do like the idea of drafting and grooming Brady's successor 3 or 4 years in advance, I just don't see him in this draft class.  I'd love to see them work a deal with Denver for Tebow, assuming Elway/Fox have questions about him as their immediate starter.

If they do target a QB in this class, I could see Alabama's Greg McElroy (in Rd 5 or 6) as a player that would interest them.  Decent arm, good accuracy, good game manager, winning pedigree, proven against top competition...fits well into their scheme.  He could be a replacement for Hoyer who might generate some trade interest from other teams. 

As for the 2012 draft, Florida's John Brantley (6-3 220) is a kid to keep your eye on throughout next season as he will be operating Charlie Weis' pro-style offense. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

In Response to Re: Ryan Mallett:
    Mallet screams Ryan Leaf to me. I do like the idea of drafting and grooming Brady's successor 3 or 4 years in advance, I just don't see him in this draft class.  I'd love to see them work a deal with Denver for Tebow, assuming Elway/Fox have questions about him as their immediate starter. If they do target a QB in this class, I could see Alabama's Greg McElroy (in Rd 5 or 6) as a player that would interest them.  Decent arm, good accuracy, good game manager, winning pedigree, proven against top competition...fits well into their scheme.  He could be a replacement for Hoyer who might generate some trade interest from other teams.  As for the 2012 draft, Florida's John Brantley (6-3 220) is a kid to keep your eye on throughout next season as he will be operating Charlie Weis' pro-style offense. 
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

WHOA!

I respect the sh!t out of your draft evaluation skills but TIM TEBOW?!? I wanted the Patriots to draft the guy last year and I'm a draft moron --- I just loved his intangibles and thought he was the perfect Patriot. If he was asked to come out early and paint the lines on the field, he'd do it and he'd do with passion and a smile. I did think Belichick interviewed him and had the information leaked to get in McDaniels' head, which may have caused him to overreact, trade up and get Tebow. Just my two cents.

But honestly, I just don't see Tebow developing into an elite passer. You do?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

I also know that there's no evaluation process for a kid's heart and desire so if Tebow really wants to prove the haters wrong, who the hell are we (or any NFL personnel guy) to say that he can't and won't do it. Once upon a time, I couldn't walk. I learned to though.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: Ryan Mallett : WHOA! I respect the sh!t out of your draft evaluation skills but TIM TEBOW?!? I wanted the Patriots to draft the guy last year and I'm a draft moron --- I just loved his intangibles and thought he was the perfect Patriot. If he was asked to come out early and paint the lines on the field, he'd do it and he'd do with passion and a smile. I did think Belichick interviewed him and had the information leaked to get in McDaniels' head, which may have caused him to overreact, trade up and get Tebow. Just my two cents. But honestly, I just don't see Tebow developing into an elite passer. You do?
    Posted by apdynasty23

I too was advocate for NE drafting him last year.  I just think he has the "it factor".  His intangibles are off the charts, smart kid, pure winner, has a good arm, was accurate in college (completed 66% of his passes -995 career attempts- with 9.33 YPA and 5.5-1 TD/INT ratio), has good mobility and played primarily out of the gun which overall, makes him a pretty good fit for NE's offense, IMO.

I also think he still needs a lot of work in terms of fine tuning his mechanics (though I think he'll always have an unorthodox style) and reading NFL defenses but I don't see any reason why he coudn't accomplish either as he's one of the hardest working players that I've seen.  This kid eat, sleeps and breathes football and again, he' have 3-4 years to develop.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Re: Tebow, I think it would be crazy for Denver to trade him before understanding exactly what they have in him.  I can't imagine any scenario where the team would give up so early on a guy that was a 1st rounder and who is a draw and a big name.  They will be giving up serious value trading him at this point, can't image he'd command anywhere near a 1st rounder.  Plus they have to fill those seats and he might be their most recognizable player beside Champ Bialey.  I am not convinced that Tebow is a future starter but Denver should at least save face and put him in the mix for their starting QB.     

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: Tebow, I think it would be crazy for Denver to trade him before understanding exactly what they have in him.  I can't imagine any scenario where the team would give up so early on a guy that was a 1st rounder and who is a draw and a big name.  They will be giving up serious value trading him at this point, can't image he'd command anywhere near a 1st rounder.  Plus they have to fill those seats and he might be their most recognizable player beside Champ Bialey.  I am not convinced that Tebow is a future starter but Denver should at least save face and put him in the mix for their starting QB.     
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn

I don't disagree, however Elway/Fox didn't bring him in and haven't exactly been firm in their support.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

Isn't this draft a bit light on QB talent anyways?  There's no reason to reach now....far bigger needs elsewhere, unless TBC and Kyle Love setting the edge do it for you.  Nothing against those guys, but it just speaks to the overall lack of talent on the edges of the front 7.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wazzu-wheatfarmer. Show Wazzu-wheatfarmer's posts

I think MB nailed it with Mallet.  He reminds me a lot of Ryan Leaf too.  I was a huge Leaf fan during his time at Wazzu and thought for sure he was going to be as good if not better than Bledsoe.  We all know how that turned out.  Looking back now, the red flags were all over Leaf.  Immature, drinking problem, rumored drug use, cocky, questionable work ethic, etc...  His tremendous talent masked all of his short-comings in college, but he was painfully exposed when he got to the pros.  I see a lot of similarities with Mallet.  Let a far more desparate team reach for this guy. 
    As for Tebow, I'd give up our 3rd for him, but no more.  A guy like Kaepernick would offer Similar athleticism with far more upside as a true passer, IMO.  Both would be huge projects.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

For a 3rd he'd be worth a look. Posted by PatsEng

I would have to agree. if he's there BB should nab him, he needs more development. Great height and pretty sturdy and mobile too

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kildog. Show kildog's posts

Future looks like Brady's replacement will have to be mobile ala Rodgers and Big Ben.  If Tebow could become a better pro (not pure) passer he would be a good pick up for some team in need of a leadership boost.   Not the Pats.  Mallett way to iffy - rather wait until CBA is finalized and then look at Luck out of Stanford next year. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

If we dont come out of this draft with an OL, a DL an OLB and a DL, OL or OLB in the first 4 picks I'll be dissapointed. Provided we actually use the picks and not trade them off.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

when bb got here one of the first things he did was tell dick rehbein to scout brady and tim rattay( i think) ... he like them both but he liked brady better(thank god) ...it just shows you that even though no one else knew/cared about him Bill b did... so im sure they will get a good replacement for him somewhere in draft....   but I think this year we will get impact players that will put this team over the top.... on defense.... and with some young OLineman

and dont forget with a glimpse towards future drafts...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

I also know that there's no evaluation process for a kid's heart and desire so if Tebow really wants to prove the haters wrong, who the hell are we (or any NFL personnel guy) to say that he can't and won't do it. Once upon a time, I couldn't walk. I learned to though.
    Posted by apdynasty23

Yeah, but can you walk well....like a professional walker??!! :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

I'm hoping it's Ricky Stanzi in the 4th round.  6'4 230lb pure pocket passer much like Brady.  Even has similar pocket presence and mechanics. 

Sections
Shortcuts