Ryan Mallett's trade value

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Ryan Mallett's trade value

So I was debating with a buddy about how much value Mallett may have in regards to trading. The reason why you would trade Mallett is because his contract expires at the same time as Brady's. Meaning, if you resign Brady, Mallett will probably look elsewhere to start, if you resign Mallett, it means it's probably the end for Brady.

While the QB market is weak, I still do not think Mallett has any trade value.

First, if you thought Hoyer was worth a second round pick, you need to think about what you're going to say before you say the Pats could net a second round pick for Mallett.

Here are my points:

1. Who are the QB needy teams and where does Mallett fit. KC is QB needy, but I doubt they'll take another unproven QB from the Pats/ I'm not too sure Mallett fits into Reid's west coast offense. Buffalo and NY? Doubt Mallett gets traded in the division. Arizona? After Kolb? Doubt they go for another unproven guy again. Tebow is probably going to Jax, so not them either.

2. Luck, Griffin, Wilson effect. Teams used to give QBs a learning curve and give them 2-3 years to fully develop. These three rookies just showed that rookie QB's can prosper. Wilson was a third round pick, so it's not like it only goes for top 2 picks. Mallett hasn't shown much in his limited action.

3.Trading for Mallett will only give a team control of him for 2 more years. Drafting a rookie will give them control of him for 4. Unless he gets traded to a team with the same system, he's practically a rookie all over again.

4. What has he done to improve his trade value? He has not played that well in his limited time. People who say spending two years behind Brady need to tell me how that worked out for Rohan Davey, Kevin O' Connell, Matt Cassell, etc. Look at the backups for the elite QBs of the league and tell me that sitting behind them made them really good. Mallett was taken in the third round for a reason. Yes, he had off the field issues, but I've seen plenty of players with worse off the field issues taken in the first round.

Sorry if I sound negative, but I just don't see the hype in some people's talk about how Mallett will net them a 2nd round pick or whatever. Just seems like people's best argument is that he's sat behind Brady for 2 seasons. Well, if I'm a GM, i'm not going to sell a ranch for Chase Daniels because he sat behind Drew Brees for 4 seasons.

In my eyes, Mallett's best value remains as the backup QB for the Patriots. And I think it is a good sign if he never gets a single start for us.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

Re: Ryan Mallett's trade value

You have a good point.  This season's aberrant performance of the rookies and 2nd year QBs has given the needy teams confidence in being able to draft an immediate starter vs. getting bent over in a trade for a back-up who normally wouldn't see the field for a couple of years.

It could make the Pats strategy for the past couple of years irrelevant.  It will be interesting to see how McDaniel develops Mallet with another season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

End of the day, the kid's a pretty good prospect and the Pat's have little need to trade him. If another team offers them a second round pick? Belicheck would have to give it serious consideration. I'm pretty sure that Belicheck already know what the kids is capable of and he won't give the kid away if he sees that he's worth waiting for....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

End of the day, the kid's a pretty good prospect and the Pat's have little need to trade him. If another team offers them a second round pick? Belicheck would have to give it serious consideration. I'm pretty sure that Belicheck already know what the kids is capable of and he won't give the kid away if he sees that he's worth waiting for....

[/QUOTE]

1. What makes you think the kid is a good prospect based on what you've seen from him so far? The fact that he was a third round pick? If the Pats drafted Leinart in the first round and sat him, would you consider him a good prospect soley on the fact that he was a first round pick? It took him a while to beat out Hoyer for the 2nd QB spot

2. If he is good, then the 2014 offseason will be really interesting if Brady does not retire. No way Mallett would resign here if he had to backup Brady more. You'd have another GB situation where half the fans and the team would be divided on whether Brady or Mallett should be the guy. Hopefully, if it comes to it, things end up the way it did for GB...and not like it did for SD

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

1. What makes you think the kid is a good prospect based on what you've seen from him so far? The fact that he was a third round pick? If the Pats drafted Leinart in the first round and sat him, would you consider him a good prospect soley on the fact that he was a first round pick? It took him a while to beat out Hoyer for the 2nd QB spot

2. If he is good, then the 2014 offseason will be really interesting if Brady does not retire. No way Mallett would resign here if he had to backup Brady more. You'd have another GB situation where half the fans and the team would be divided on whether Brady or Mallett should be the guy. Hopefully, if it comes to it, things end up the way it did for GB...and not like it did for SD

[/QUOTE]

He's a big armed kid that can make all of throws required of an NFL QB with good pocket awareness. 

it wasn't that long ago when many people questioned Belicheck's sanity when he chose to stick with Brady, instead of going back to Bledsoe...I trust that Belicheck has seen enough of the kid and if he thinks the kid has the intangibles to be a starting QB in the NFL. he'll maximize his value by making sure to showcase the kid if indeed he want to trade him. Further not unlike when he made the switch to Brady, if and when the time comes when he sees Mallet as the future QB worthy of replacing Brady. he'll then try to maximize Brady's value like he did when he traded Bledsoe to the Bills for a #1 pick. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I watch a lot of SEC football and I've seen him play quite a few games over the years while he was at Arkansas. Mallet kind of reminded me of Bledsoe while he was there, he's got a great arm, throws a nice deep ball and despite being slow he's able to buy extra time in the pocket with his feet. He can lead an offense to a comeback and put up a lot of points,. The problem that I had with him is that he could be playing great and then out of nowhere throw a terrible pass that gets picked off. If he could cut down on those mistakes then I'd say he could be a decent NFL QB

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He's a big armed kid that can make all of throws required of an NFL QB with good pocket awareness. 

it wasn't that long ago when many people questioned Belicheck's sanity when he chose to stick with Brady, instead of going back to Bledsoe...I trust that Belicheck has seen enough of the kid and if he thinks the kid has the intangibles to be a starting QB in the NFL. he'll maximize his value by making sure to showcase the kid if indeed he want to trade him. Further not unlike when he made the switch to Brady, if and when the time comes when he sees Mallet as the future QB worthy of replacing Brady. he'll then try to maximize Brady's value like he did when he traded Bledsoe to the Bills for a #1 pick. 

[/QUOTE]

Two completely different situations. He went to Brady out of necessity and Brady happened to excel.  He switched to Brady because he won games and took the team to the playoffs. Mallett has done none of that yet.

Unless Brady gets hurt and Mallett takes over, these are two completely different situations. All BB really has seem from him has been in practice.

Again, this is more like the GB situation, where a team would make the switch to a QB who had 0 career starts. The only difference is Aaron Rodgers was a borderline top pick who dropped to the late first, while Mallett was a borderline 1st/2nd rounder who dropped to the third.

And it means little to me that Mallett won the 2nd string QB position. Hoyer, Cassel and Rohan Davey have all held that title

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to sporter81's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I watch a lot of SEC football and I've seen him play quite a few games over the years while he was at Arkansas. Mallet kind of reminded me of Bledsoe while he was there, he's got a great arm, throws a nice deep ball and despite being slow he's able to buy extra time in the pocket with his feet. He can lead an offense to a comeback and put up a lot of points,. The problem that I had with him is that he could be playing great and then out of nowhere throw a terrible pass that gets picked off. If he could cut down on those mistakes then I'd say he could be a decent NFL QB

[/QUOTE]

That's what I read about him...Poor decision making. First player I think of when I hear that is maybe Favre, or Tony Romo. However, he was the 7th QB taken in the draft. If you told me I had a mini Favre or Romo in the making, I'd take a chance in the first round and hope that I can take that unclutch gene out of him while he was young.

But that's besides the point. While preseason is only preseason, it's all I really have to judge him on how he plays in the NFL. Don't think he has looked particularly sharp in his limited action. This whole thread was to those who think Mallett has trade value.

He's been in the league two years now. Has he done anything to make anyone believe you could net a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Mallett has zero trade value.  He hasn't proven a thing.  You have to be out on the field for a period of time before any trade value can be determined. 

The Pats can resign Mallett cheap.  He is what he is until he sees some field time.  He may want to go to another team where he can have a chance at starting but Mallett needs to take care that he gets into the right system for him.  The other thing is Brady's skills will diminish as he gets older.  It happens to everyone.  There will be a time when Brady will have to admit to retiring.  Mallett may want to hang onto that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't believe Mallet has any trade value, at least not better than what the Pats FO used to acquire him (3rd round pick).

Now this is 100% circumstantial--but what makes me think the kid is a good prospect is that Belichick let Hoyer walk (getting nothing in return), having no other QBs on the squad (enabling that valuable roster spot to be deployed elsewhere). The Pats usually carry at least three QBs, and when Brady was drafted in 2000, carried four. 

No way in hell a preparation-mad junkie like BB carries only two QBs unless he completely believes Mallet is capable of running the offense. Not saying he can; just saying BB thinks he can.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

I would like to see Mallett more in junk time, it would be nice to see how he has developed

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

1. It took him all of one season to beat Hoyer, a respected backup to Brady the two prior seasons to Mallett's arrival. That he didn't win it in 2011 is a knock against him in your eyes?

2. Mallett is to blame for not getting in any games in 2011, outplaying Hoyer in 4 preseason games, and then throwing all of 4 passes this season? There were MANY more instances he could have gotten into games... this club hinders the development of TB's backups for sure... its no wonder they look rusty when they are seen... usually only in preseason.

3. The facts remain that Mallett was a stud in college who is 6'6" with a CANNON (Hoyer was 6'1"), would have been a 1st rd pick if not for off-field issues that NEVER arose here, and is spoken very highly about by Brady and McDaniels... he is not Hoyer, O'Connell and Cassel.

4. He is 5 years younger than Weeden. Getting the Browns 3rd rd pick for him the 60's and a 2014 draft pick anywhere from 2nd at best rd to 5th at worst based in his performance would be a great move for both teams. Esp if the Pats had a recently released Cassel to bring back to play behind TB.

5. The team better not make the same mistake they did with Hoyer... who prob could have gone for a 4th-5th rd pick after the 2010 season but the team waited a year too long and he came with a 2 million price tag

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to sporter81's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's what I read about him...Poor decision making. First player I think of when I hear that is maybe Favre, or Tony Romo. However, he was the 7th QB taken in the draft. If you told me I had a mini Favre or Romo in the making, I'd take a chance in the first round and hope that I can take that unclutch gene out of him while he was young.

But that's besides the point. While preseason is only preseason, it's all I really have to judge him on how he plays in the NFL. Don't think he has looked particularly sharp in his limited action. This whole thread was to those who think Mallett has trade value.

He's been in the league two years now. Has he done anything to make anyone believe you could net a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him?

[/QUOTE]

Favre was a 2nd rd pick, 33rd overall... pretty much smack dab in that 20-40 range Mallett would have gone if it was just his decision making and not off-field issues teams worried about.

Tony Romo wasn't even drafted

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

You folks that say Mallett has no trade value right now are missing a huge point. Coming out in the draft there was plenty of film on him and he was graded as one of the top quarterback prospects and a first round pick. He dropped due to concerns about immaturity, culminating with his canceling a pre-draft meeting with the Panthers because he was hung over from partying the night before (in Carolina, after the Panthers had flown him in). The fact that he has done nothing here in 2 years is a positive!  He has fine tuned his image and learned how to be a pro from TB12. Mallett could bring a first but certainly no less than a 3rd round pick. Comparing Mallett and Hoyer is apples and oranges. Hoyer couldnt carry Malletts jock.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I'm not sure how anyone can make an accurate evaluation of Mallett at this point other than on potential.  He's had little time on the field during the regular season. The NFL history books are loaded with stories of big arm quarterbacks who were busts.  Ryan Leaf and Jeff George come immediately to mind as but two examples.  I'm not saying the kid is either one of those; I'm merely saying we don't really have much to go on at this point.  Obviously BB thinks highly of him or he wouldn't be TB's backup and perhaps heir apparent.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

1. It took him all of one season to beat Hoyer, a respected backup to Brady the two prior seasons to Mallett's arrival. That he didn't win it in 2011 is a knock against him in your eyes?

2. Mallett is to blame for not getting in any games in 2011, outplaying Hoyer in 4 preseason games, and then throwing all of 4 passes this season? There were MANY more instances he could have gotten into games... this club hinders the development of TB's backups for sure... its no wonder they look rusty when they are seen... usually only in preseason.

3. The facts remain that Mallett was a stud in college who is 6'6" with a CANNON (Hoyer was 6'1"), would have been a 1st rd pick if not for off-field issues that NEVER arose here, and is spoken very highly about by Brady and McDaniels... he is not Hoyer, O'Connell and Cassel.

4. He is 5 years younger than Weeden. Getting the Browns 3rd rd pick for him the 60's and a 2014 draft pick anywhere from 2nd at best rd to 5th at worst based in his performance would be a great move for both teams. Esp if the Pats had a recently released Cassel to bring back to play behind TB.

5. The team better not make the same mistake they did with Hoyer... who prob could have gone for a 4th-5th rd pick after the 2010 season but the team waited a year too long and he came with a 2 million price tag

[/QUOTE]

You think a team would have given a 4th round pick for Hoyer but after he was a free agent he couldn't find a single team that would sign him for the league minimum until a few weeks ago when Roethlisburger went down?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You folks that say Mallett has no trade value right now are missing a huge point. Coming out in the draft there was plenty of film on him and he was graded as one of the top quarterback prospects and a first round pick. He dropped due to concerns about immaturity, culminating with his canceling a pre-draft meeting with the Panthers because he was hung over from partying the night before (in Carolina, after the Panthers had flown him in). The fact that he has done nothing here in 2 years is a positive!  He has fine tuned his image and learned how to be a pro from TB12. Mallett could bring a first but certainly no less than a 3rd round pick. Comparing Mallett and Hoyer is apples and oranges. Hoyer couldnt carry Malletts jock.

[/QUOTE]

We have no idea if Mallett is better than Hoyer.  In fact from what we as fans have seen Hoyer played much better, but we don't see practices.  Simply being drafted sooner than Hoyer does not make Mallett any better than Bledsoe being drafted sooner made him better than Brady.  But Mallett hasn't played in 2 years, that means his value has gone down, not up.  I'd say they'd be lucky to get a 7th round pick right now.  

You have to look at the contract as well.  The Pats payed a 3rd for a guy with a low salary for 4 years, they would not have paid the same for a guy with only 2 years of contract so you can't expect anyone else to.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In response to shenanigan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Quagmire3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

We have no idea if Mallett is better than Hoyer.  In fact from what we as fans have seen Hoyer played much better, but we don't see practices.  Simply being drafted sooner than Hoyer does not make Mallett any better than Bledsoe being drafted sooner made him better than Brady.  But Mallett hasn't played in 2 years, that means his value has gone down, not up.  I'd say they'd be lucky to get a 7th round pick right now.  

You have to look at the contract as well.  The Pats payed a 3rd for a guy with a low salary for 4 years, they would not have paid the same for a guy with only 2 years of contract so you can't expect anyone else to.

[/QUOTE]

I understand your points but I have to believe BB sees something in Mallett if he cut Hoyer and went with only Mallett as TB12's only back up. I still think mallett brings a decent pick in return despite not seeing the field ihis first couple years ala Brett Favre (even though Farve only sat for 1 year, he did have a 0% completion percentage that year! lol  0 for 4)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I hope I'm wrong, I'd love to see the Pats get a decent pick out of Mallett.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

I doubt that the Browns will be interested in Mallett.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Until we see SIGNIFICANT playing time out of a back-up QB to Tom Brady, we may never know who the heir apparent shall be to TB.  In 2008, do we consider the play of Cassel an abherration and simply the result of excellent coaching and team play?  Chances are, if Brady was unable to return in 2009, would we still see Cassel as the Pats QB?  Who knows.  Mallet has trading value only as a "potential" starting QB as he has yet to show full game results.  Sort of like someone getting a hole in one on their very first golf shot and then thinking they are good enough to be a pro.  Since Brady has been the QB for the Pats, there have been back-up QBs in the line-up with potential and look good for the limited minutes they play.  IMHO, the actual QB to be the replacement to TB may not be in place for a couple more years.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

None of us have a clue what kind of value Mallett has, if any.  We can speculate all day long, but everyone is just guessing.  Remember, it just takes 1 team to be sold on him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to shenanigan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to rameakap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You think a team would have given a 4th round pick for Hoyer but after he was a free agent he couldn't find a single team that would sign him for the league minimum until a few weeks ago when Roethlisburger went down?

[/QUOTE]

I am just repeating what was rumored after the 2010 season, that Hoyer had looked good enough as TB's backup THEN to have a possible mid-round trade value... 18 months later after a poor preseason when he was cut, at a time when all teams had filled their QB openings, he obv. wasn't valued like that anymore.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

I am not sure what beating out Hoyer for the back-up job proves. It took Hoyer three months to get picked up by an NFL team at which point he backed up Charlie Batch for the Steelers. He ended up being the Cardinals fourth starting QB of the season in the season finale, and did not do anything to impress in that start.

At best, Mallet is worth what the Patriots spent on him (a 3rd round pick), but I doubt any team would be willing to pay that based on a couple of pre-season games. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to MichFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I doubt that the Browns will be interested in Mallett.

[/QUOTE]

Why? They are not spending a top 10 pick on a QB. Weeden will be 30 next year and they spent a #1 pick, 22 overall, on him only to watch him be mediocre. At the very least the guy deserves to be pushed by a much younger QB and considering Weeden's on a rookie deal, if Mallett beats him out, which is very likely, he can remain as a solid backup into his early 30's. Moving pick 65 or whatever for Mallett is good business. 

Sections
Shortcuts