Ryan Wendell re-signs with Patriots

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Re: Ryan Wendell re-signs with Patriots

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

1. Field Yates @FieldYates 28m

Check that: Wendell's deal maxes out at $8.15M. He has a roster bonus of $2M each year, with $1.3M to earn in P/T incentives in 2015.

2.   Field Yates @FieldYates 29m

On Wendell: it includes a $850,000 signing bonus, per game roster bonuses (46 man) of $12.5k for each season. Base salary of $1M each season

He's the starter this year with that type of cash. So we can rule out a high C pick in the upcoming draft. Mid round or late round still a good possibility given the length of the deal

[/QUOTE]

I doubt bB would spend a high pick on a C. He has had pretty good luck finding Guys at the center postion( rounds 4-7, Koppen) and undrafted free agents( wendell) so i never expected a high draft pick at C anyways. 

I would still like to see BB try and find a C of the future, as some have mentioned, Wendell seemed to get pushed around by the bigger D tackles in the game( which ironically was also koppens weakness as well). 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to SportsGenius1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

According to Chris Price Ryan has re-signed with the Patriots for 2years total incentive laden package worth 6.85 mil over the length of the contract.

[/QUOTE]

So we signed a turnstyle Center to a bigger deal than what Lafell got?  What did I miss last year? You can find any replacement in the draft for him in rounds 3-6!!  This is why I dont understand the pats sometimes. They penny pinch with talented players Wilfork but open their wallets generously for jags like Wendell and Ninkovich.... smh

Oh well, I hope he has a great offseason cuz thats sounds pricey and senseless. BB must need all his picks to move up??  Idk

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

His roster spot isn't guaranteed given the structure of this contract.

[/QUOTE]

Not guaranteed but, I don't see them bringing in another vet to compete and if your plan was to draft one early you certainly don't give him that type of money if there is a chance he'd play a backup role. It sounds like a 2 year bandaid contract where they can develop a mid round guy to take over in a couple years or potentally have a guy they like already that might take a year or two to develop

[/QUOTE]

It does sound that way but didnt we plug in Koppen Day 1, and we picked him in the 5th round.... Could this be the "losing Dante" effect where its no longer reasonable to expect a rookie C to step right in? Could be as I dont get the signing for that money and he hasnt proven anything but being adequate.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not guaranteed but, I don't see them bringing in another vet to compete and if your plan was to draft one early you certainly don't give him that type of money if there is a chance he'd play a backup role. It sounds like a 2 year bandaid contract where they can develop a mid round guy to take over in a couple years or potentally have a guy they like already that might take a year or two to develop

[/QUOTE]

It does sound that way but didnt we plug in Koppen Day 1, and we picked him in the 5th round.... Could this be the "losing Dante" effect where its no longer reasonable to expect a rookie C to step right in? Could be as I dont get the signing for that money and he hasnt proven anything but being adequate.

[/QUOTE]

Losing one of the best OL coaches to ever coach defitnitely could be a factor in BB's thought process. I think C is one of those positions that you can get away with just adequate play though, so resigning wendell in my eyes is a good move. And reading others posts it gives me the impression that if anyone else can overtake wendell for the C spot, it wont be a a problem to just cut wendell without that big of cap repreccusion. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Losing one of the best OL coaches to ever coach defitnitely could be a factor in BB's thought process. I think C is one of those positions that you can get away with just adequate play though, so resigning wendell in my eyes is a good move. And reading others posts it gives me the impression that if anyone else can overtake wendell for the C spot, it wont be a a problem to just cut wendell without that big of cap repreccusion. 

[/QUOTE]

I very much agree resigning him is a really good move... BUT... it looks like too much money and especially because I am hoping he ends up on the bench.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wow... I thought he got pushed around last year. Seemed like he couldn't handle the bigger DT's.

[/QUOTE]

I think he's depth, but they're getting thin in cap space and they have limited higher draft picks, so I could see BB trying to get by with the current O line and instead use his draft picks to boost some of the defensive positions and get the TE/WR options he needs. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to SportsGenius1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

According to Chris Price Ryan has re-signed with the Patriots for 2years total incentive laden package worth 6.85 mil over the length of the contract.

[/QUOTE]

Good security move.  He's very good with run blocking as proven through the years. If they walk from Connolly next year, he's already in place.

I like how they don't need a new Center in this complex and demanding offense, so that is a relief.  I also like how they had the leverage here, which is big.

ALso, the new OL coach must like what he sees.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Brady must be thrilled.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

Brady must be thrilled.

[/QUOTE]

I am fairly certain he has nothing to say until he can work on taking a snap from under Centrer on a QB sneak to ice a game.

lmao

He was pathetic last year with it almost losing two games in the process.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If that was true they would have resigned him much sooner.  Disagree. I actually think the new OL coach likes Wendell, and why not, a very good run blocker which is what Brady needs to rely on and use if he is to not choke it down in Januarys anymore.

All about Brady now.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Disagree 100%. The Wendell contract structure says he may not make the team this year, and the cap hit is not significant if he does not make the team, or he would be one and done. Doubtful he sees the back end of the contract.

also don't see both Wendell and Connolly on the team at $7m this year. Either Connolly has agreed to a restructure with announcement coming shortly, or the Pats cut him. 

I agree Braxton Cave will be interesting to watch this summer to see his progression. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

I'm keeping my eye on Cave as well. He was a very good center at ND. I was suprised he didn't get drafted

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm keeping my eye on Cave as well. He was a very good center at ND. I was suprised he didn't get drafted

[/QUOTE]

Cave will probably replace Wendell this year or next.  Good size and a good player.  I get the feeling that they like him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wow... I thought he got pushed around last year. Seemed like he couldn't handle the bigger DT's.
    [/QUOTE]

Amen! I don't like this re-signing. Wendell needs to be replaced.

[/QUOTE]

This was disappointing to me when I read it.  There are 2-3 college centers that the Pats could pick up in the 2nd or third round that could start.  

Wendell is the weakest link in the line. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

I never take this ratings business too seriously - two years ago he was something like the top rated center by PFF and last year he was the worst by the same folks. Personally I didn't see a big change in his game and I suspect the injuries elsewhere on the line may have had more to do with the ratings than his actual performance.

I am surpised at the number as I thought it would be lower but it looks like the bonus is the only guaranteed money

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to mia76's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I never take this ratings business too seriously - two years ago he was something like the top rated center by PFF and last year he was the worst by the same folks. Personally I didn't see a big change in his game and I suspect the injuries elsewhere on the line may have had more to do with the ratings than his actual performance.

I am surpised at the number as I thought it would be lower but it looks like the bonus is the only guaranteed money

[/QUOTE]

The dead money is only the amount of the signing bonus, $850K. This is a deal that brings him to camp, but he only gets the large money if he makes the team. Nothing is assured with this type of contract. It's insurance in case they can't bring in someone better.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I would say injuries and Gronk not around hurts a Center like Wendell. It's pretty much that simple. Very good tactician at the position overall and like Muzzie just said, he's cheap and a good system player who will need to make the team with little dead money if he doesn't. I expect a draft pick somewhat high as well.

BB is really playing the market well again this FA period as he was last year.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I would say injuries and Gronk not around hurts a Center like Wendell. It's pretty much that simple. Very good tactician at the position overall and like Muzzie just said, he's cheap and a good system player who will need to make the team with little dead money if he doesn't. I expect a draft pick somewhat high as well.

BB is really playing the market well again this FA period as he was last year.  

[/QUOTE]

He gets tooled in pass protection by bigger DT's, same problem that eventually got Koppen axed...that's the absolute worst position where it can happen allowing pressure up the middle...he's just not big enough to be stout against the pass rush...technique only does so much against a Ngata or Wilfork....I don't like the re-signing, but I'm not the GM..we'll see how it turns out...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Endspeed. Show Endspeed's posts

Didn't the Patriots have Josh Kline working at center at times during last years preseason?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to Endspeed's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Didn't the Patriots have Josh Kline working at center at times during last years preseason?

[/QUOTE]

They mmight have but I can't recall.....that's an option

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

Kline played guard at the end of last season when Mankins shifted to LT for two games. He held his own.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

Wendell sux, this is another Arrington signing.  I do not like this move.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

As long as he's a back up I guess I'm OK with it....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

My initial reaction to this was WHAT???  But based on the relatively small cap consequences and the conditions associated with him making significant $$ it isn't really a bad move.  Brings him to camp and gives him incentive to compete. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Disagree 100%. The Wendell contract structure says he may not make the team this year, and the cap hit is not significant if he does not make the team, or he would be one and done. Doubtful he sees the back end of the contract.

also don't see both Wendell and Connolly on the team at $7m this year. Either Connolly has agreed to a restructure with announcement coming shortly, or the Pats cut him. 

I agree Braxton Cave will be interesting to watch this summer to see his progression. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree