Sad news on Mike Wright

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Sad news on Mike Wright

Patriots DT Mike Wright suffered a concussion in the team's Week 1 loss to Miami.

Wright missed six games and the playoffs with a 2010 concussion, so this is a big concern for the Pats. He led the team in sacks last season. Concussions can become increasingly severe when players are repeatedly concussed, so we wouldn't expect Wright in the lineup for awhile. He certainly won't play in Week 2.

Possible time to retire. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Re: Sad news on Mike Wright

Gerrad Warren is on speed dial. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

that's what I was scared of in the pre-season. Better to cut him now, let him guarantee his contract for this year and retire. Better for his long term health, well being, and better for the team.

Very sad

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DynastyXXXVI. Show DynastyXXXVI's posts

Bummer. I was looking forward to watching him this year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

Probably better to IR him, that way he could still hang around the team.  Cost wise, it's no worse than cutting him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Sucks...he should hang em up. Too dangerous playing on the dline with head injuries

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

It's truly a bummer that he has had a concussion because from what I've learned from reading about a bunch of players who have had one concussion the following concussions are easier too have. I would guess unless the DR's clear him to practice this could be a season ender.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hambonawilliams. Show hambonawilliams's posts

Once you have a serious problem with concussions, that's it...you're done playing contact sports. The effect of concussions are cumulative...they NEVER go away.

Time for the Pats to sit him down and have a long, realistic talk with the lad...IR won't cut it, there's no way he's ever going to play the way he did before concussions...time to retire....and I'm glad Warren still has his stuff in the locker!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

That is sad. Hope with the recent concussions he has had they don't lead to long term problems. I think his days are numbered as a football player.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Yup, it's sad.  With the increased emphasis on concusions you are going to see a lot of players have their careers cuts short.  Maybe that's why more players are finally adopting the safer helmets.  Wonder if Mike Wright wears the new helmets?  Of course, they reduce, but not eliminate concussions.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from HighSchoolSportsReporter. Show HighSchoolSportsReporter's posts

Very sad story....  Please, Mike, retire now and get on with your life.

Nothing is worth permamnently harming yourself.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

like heat stroke once you have it your more likely to have it again. They should put him on IR and tell him he's getting cut in the off season. Mike Wright is one of my favorite players on the pats. It'll be sad to see him go.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Hang it up for you and your family!  Thanks for what you have done for the Patriots and their fans.....Your brain is more important than your football career!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

Heart breaking, himself and Wilfork were our best d lineman through this barren patch it'd be awful if the rings started to flow again and he missed out :(

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Is there a team that gets ravaged by injuries worse than this team every single year? We lose our starting center and better pass rusher in the first game.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

He'll shake it off and be out there mopping the turf with Vick come February.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Really bummed out as he was one of the players I was most looking forward to see playing this season.  Not good news at all.  Put him on IR and call Gerrard up NOW!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

have him talk to Ted Johnson if he wants to keep playing..............

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Really sad. I've been told he is a super nice guy too. He is a classic "Patriot" type player, and the kind of extremely high quality depth this team has won championships with. 

At the same time, his last concussion prior to this one was a doozy...IIRC, he concussed his spine at his neck too. That isn't good. 

I hope he does what is best for his health and life. But he will be missed if he has to hang them up. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Rub some dirt on it and send 'im back out there!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxxcrwn. Show xxxcrwn's posts

In Response to Re: Sad news on Mike Wright:
    Yup, it's sad.  With the increased emphasis on concusions you are going to see a lot of players have their careers cuts short.  Maybe that's why more players are finally adopting the safer helmets.  Wonder if Mike Wright wears the new helmets?  Of course, they reduce, but not eliminate concussions.
    Posted by carawaydj

The NFL stopped the players from using the ProCap over a decade ago, because the league didn't like the aesthetics.

http://www.clevescene.com/images/blogimages/2009/07/29/1248878147-img_0093.jpg

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Wright needs to go live the rest of his life away from football.  Good player, self made, but it isn't worth the potential long term effects of post concussion syndrome. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxxcrwn. Show xxxcrwn's posts

This is the evolution of the ProCap called The Gladiator. Padded outer covering, hard shell, padding between shell & skull with a flexible face mask.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2368/2335824297_3459c38a5e_o.jpg

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

Call me crazy, but I don't think it was a serious concussion...

I understand every time you get one, you become more and more susceptible to them...

But Mike was on the sidelines in uniform for the rest of the game...

If it was really a serious concussion, he wouldn't be able to stand the bright lights and screaming fans...

Plus, he didn't look like he was just informed his season was over...

I mean compare him just standing around watching the game to Wes when his knee was blown out...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

Thanks for sharing the really cool info & pix xxxcrn .

I had forgotten all about those helmets .

I believe Don Beebe use to wear one didnt he ?

Do you have any more details / links to the story of how the NFL phased them out ?
      If its true they banned them for purely aesthetics ...thats a crime.

Interesting stuff.

Sections
Shortcuts