Safety Moore resigns with Atlanta...... do you still sign a FA or draft a Safety?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Safety Moore resigns with Atlanta...... do you still sign a FA or draft a Safety?

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports the Falcons have retained safety William Moore with a five-year deal.

Has been discussed here as a possible signing for NE.  Byrd tagged in Buffalo. Who would you sign in FA  or do you draft a safety? 

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

Re: Safety Moore resigns with Atlanta...... do you still sign a FA or draft a Safety?

I think if the Pats decide to sign a Safety in FA, it will be an older, cheaper option like Reed or Adrian Wilson. We aren't certain how Tavon will develop yet, so I don't see them chasing after a Goldson type safety.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Re: Safety Moore resigns with Atlanta...... do you still sign a FA or draft a Safety?

I figured that they would pay to keep William Moore.  He really emerged for them last year.  Goldson, Quin, Delmas, and Ed Reed are all still on the market.  Honestly I don't think Goldson is really in play because I don't think NE will get involved in a bidding war for him.  If they think Delmas can stay healthy he could be a guy to look at, but ultimately I think his health questions will scare them away.  Quin is the guy I like.  He is a converted corner with good coverage instincts who can play in the box and be physical/effective covering TEs...(pretty much everything that Chung was SUPPOSED to be.)  Of course we can't rule Reed out if he is willing to play for a reasonable contract, but I bet he remains in Baltimore to finish his career.  I hope they can get Quin for reasonable money.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:

90% of Safety play is above the shoulders. People just didn't realize how smart Rodney was. If you can lay the wood the better.

So true.  Tracking the ball, taking good angles, timing the hits, and knowing when to gamble are the skills that separate the good ones from the poor ones.  It is truly a very instinctive position.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Not a bad year last year

http://www.nfl.com/player/quintinmikell/2505281/profile 

Adam SchefterAdam Schefter â€@AdamSchefter

Safety market increases: Rams will release veteran safety Quintin Mikell on Monday.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Adrian Wilson would be my first choice for a safety but if we cant get him i would like to see the pats make a run at Dawan Landry. He was cut by the Jags after two years but in those two years he started all 32 games. I dont know if you all remember him in his time with the Ravens but i always saw him as an intimidator. IMO he would be a good player to pair with McCourty at safety. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

90% of Safety play is above the shoulders. People just didn't realize how smart Rodney was. If you can lay the wood the better.

Thats what is so appealing about Wilson

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

Don`t forget Charles Woodson

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

The safety market is crowded, we have Adrian Wilson, Ed Reed, Dashon Goldson, Charles Woodson,Kenny Phillips... we can improve our safety position with any of this names, they could bring experience to this "young" secondary.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

Thats what is so appealing about Wilson

Which is also why i dont think people should be concerned that Adrian is 34. Even though his Athletisism and agility and all that are starting to leave him, Smart players like that can play into thier late thirties and still thrive, ed reed is the perfect example of that.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Rams will release SS Quintin Mikell.

Mikell graded out as a top-five safety in Pro Football Focus' 2012 ratings, but he's going on age 33 and was owed $6 million. The Rams do not value aging safeties enough to pay them that kind of coin. They now have needs at both safety spots and figure to pursue free agents like Louis Delmas, Kenny Phillips, Pat Chung, and Chris Clemons. Mikell should not lack for suitors because he can still play. He racked up 101 tackles, three sacks, and four forced fumbles last season.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

No need to jump... I like the secondary market and trust BB will get some weapons.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Still have K.Phillips and A.Wilson in terms of the bigger size safeties but to me everyone else after that are just Jags and I would rather draft a prospect but make no mistake, a vet still has to be signed but if its not one of the guys with Ideal size that can change the game, I wont be enthused. We need more than just another guy at safety.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Also, Tavon is NOT a safety in terms of his skillset. He can cover TE's. Thats his only asset at the moment. He is too much of a liability to put out on the regular defense the way we play zone so to me he is a dime back who comes in to cover the TE or blitz from there and has to improve a bunch before he is considered a real option back there.

I would like to look at Woodson ,but not as a traditional safety either. He can hit for a CB , but isnt going to knock you out. I would use him in the Dime as a blitzer and a in the Nickel as a Cover guy. Even in his prime, he always came down to play the slot and even covered TEs like Gonzalez when asked too if he was the main threat. I hope he was just hurt last year and still has some left but he is been around a while..soooo Maybe he is done

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I see the S market as Golson, numerous aging vets, players coming off or with history of injury. This will no doubt be termed "value signing"

I also see the draft with 2 stud S most likely chosen before the Pats choose, and potential solid depth after that, which I assume Wilson is. 

What is being termed on these boards as "glut" and "value" i am seeing as mediocrity, risk and age.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I'd be happy signing a vet and seeing if T Wilson develops further. Because we have T Wilson I feel like we could get a Mikell or a Reed and we'd be fine for a couple years. If Wilson doesn't make any strides this upcoming year then you look at the draft again for a SS. Of course is Goldson were available at reasonable money he'd be my top choice but a lower cost Mikell would work well too

Sections
Shortcuts