Safety play

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Safety play

I think the safeties are average at best, people talk about extending McCourty...why? Why would you go out of your way for a corner - that can't play corner - or a safety that hasn't come close to figuring it out yet? This guy physically has it, it's just that mentally he struggles...hey maybe he'll figure it out...I'm not holding my breath. The corners are keeping things together back there. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I think the safeties are average at best, people talk about extending McCourty...why? Why would you go out of your way for a corner - that can't play corner - or a safety that hasn't come close to figuring it out yet? This guy physically has it, it's just that mentally he struggles...hey maybe he'll figure it out...I'm not holding my breath. The corners are keeping things together back there. 

How many passes of over 20 yards have you seen the Pats give up this year? How many did we see the last two years before we had McCourty back there? Notice how the Pats limit the big play ball when McCourty moved to Safety?

Just because he's not snagging down picks every game doesn't mean he's not a good FS, his job is to limit a big play and keep everything in front of him. He does that, he does that really well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to DontQuestionBB's comment:

[QUOTE]

I agree on McCourty, probably the most overrated player on the Pats team.  He can't play corner but he is average at best at safety.  

Unfortunately, I see the Pats making the same mistake as with Arrington, overpaying for a less talented player in favor of signing real talent in FA.

[/QUOTE]

You hate every Patriot. I'm surprise you don't hate Brady too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

I wish I could go back and count how many times I watched McCourty, when he was playing cornerback, have the underneath coverage and when the ball was thrown, there was no safety in sight because he bit on a play-action fake or went for a well covered underneath route. Or how many times I watched as McCourty handed a guy off from his area to cover someone else entering his area and the safety was still covering the deep middle of the field, which was empty, and never picked up the guy coming out of McCourty's area.  I haven't seen anything like that since McCourty has been playing safety. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

this whole discussion is bull

Befoe the seaon veryone was picking on Gregory, He plays well and now some want to nail McCourty. McCourty calls the D signals for BB. in a league that is pass oriented it's good to have someone who can cover. And not all his problems at cb were on him.

And... I haven't heard one talking head say anything bad about the dbs

Will good receivers get open on them? Sure but at least wait until they lose. Then I'm sure every critic will say every Pat is horrible and overpaid And the GM sux

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I agree on McCourty, probably the most overrated player on the Pats team.  He can't play corner but he is average at best at safety.  

Unfortunately, I see the Pats making the same mistake as with Arrington, overpaying for a less talented player in favor of signing real talent in FA.

[/QUOTE]

You hate every Patriot. I'm surprise you don't hate Brady too.

[/QUOTE]

I bet you loved the Rasi dowling pick.

[/QUOTE]

Please don't misunderstand me, it's not that I don't respect your opinion, or believe that you are not actually quite knowledgeable about this matter.  Shoot, for all I know, you may be the acting GM for an NFL team right now.  All the same, I think I will put my money on the man who has led this organization to 5 Super Bowls and a couple more AFC championship games.  I'm not saying that you might not be right in your assessment, but somehow I feel like I just have to go with BB's judgement on this.  I hope you understand.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Are we talking about the defense that gave up three points to the Bucs, is allowing opposing QB's a 59 QB rating against them and hasn't allowed a single 20+ yard run all season...

I had to be sure we weren't talking about another team because currently we're statistically the 2nd best defense in the NFL?

let's be realistic - the first three games were against bottom feeders--the real season starts this Sunday--let's reserve all this praise and see what this D does against Quality opponents--I hope they continue the trend you're stating but to think they will against SUPERIOR oppenents and with 3 of the next 4 on the road----let's just hold our judgements the season is only 3 games in and we played against 2 rookie QBs and for One it was his first NFL game the other his second--and we caught some breaks - the first 2 games could have easily been losses--just being objective-- hope I'm wrong but I see a loss at Atlanta and alot of points being scored by both teams.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

In response to wozzy's comment:

[QUOTE]

Are we talking about the defense that gave up three points to the Bucs, is allowing opposing QB's a 59 QB rating against them and hasn't allowed a single 20+ yard run all season...

I had to be sure we weren't talking about another team because currently we're statistically the 2nd best defense in the NFL?

We are talking about a D that has played against;

A rookie QB in his first NFL start

A rookie QB in his second NFL start

A QB that is so disconnected that he couldn't even bother to show up for his team picture.

A little perspective, please.

[/QUOTE]

It's refreshing to hear from another OBJECTIVE poster--let's not drink the coolaide on this D until we start playing Varsity NFL teams not bottom feeders--I agree whole heartedly Pezz!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

The difference, though, is that in the past few years they often struggled to defend even bottom feeders well against the pass.  The one game that will always stick in my mind is that Indy game in Foxboro two years ago where Dan Orlovsky had an 81% completion percentage (30 for 37) and a 113 passer rating.  You are right that we have to reserve full judgment until we see how the Pats defense does against good offenses, but let's not ignore the fact that they are clearly playing better against bad offenses, and that's progress too.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

BB said he prefers dependability over athletic ability when talking about Gregory.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

The difference, though, is that in the past few years they often struggled to defend even bottom feeders well against the pass.  The one game that will always stick in my mind is that Indy game in Foxboro two years ago where Dan Orlovsky had an 81% completion percentage (30 for 37) and a 113 passer rating.  You are right that we have to reserve full judgment until we see how the Pats defense does against good offenses, but let's not ignore the fact that they are clearly playing better against bad offenses, and that's progress too.  

I've made that very same observation myself, in other threads.  The past few years, we constantly heard complaints about the way the Patriots' defense would make even the most pedestrian quarterback look like Joe Montana.  I'm not kidding myself...I know that the team has yet to face a good offense.  But, I totally agree with you.  This defense deserves a lot of credit for the obvious improvement it has shown, up to this point.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to cyncalpatfan's comment:

[QUOTE]

I've made that very same observation myself, in other threads.  The past few years, we constantly heard complaints about the way the Patriots' defense would make even the most pedestrian quarterback look like Joe Montana.  I'm not kidding myself...I know that the team has yet to face a good offense.  But, I totally agree with you.  This defense deserves a lot of credit for the obvious improvement it has shown, up to this point.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this year they're making bad offenses look bad.  The past few years they made bad offenses look good.  Big improvement in my opinion. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this year they're making bad offenses look bad.  The past few years they made bad offenses look good.  Big improvement in my opinion. 

[/QUOTE]
                   Very good point. I remember we made Seneca Wallace look like an All-Pro. We haven't gone up against a decent QB yet but Sunday's test against Atlanta should give our secondary a bigger challenge. We still need to get more pressure up front. That, to me, would do more to help out the secondary than anything else I can think of. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to trouts' comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Okay, I've been giving this some more thought so I figured I would take a look at how our defense did last year, concerning points allowed.  Since everyone is so worried about what will happen when we face a serious offense.  So here is 2012, games 1 through 16, points allowed:  Titans 13, Cardinals 20, Ravens 31, Bills 28, Broncos 21, Seahawks 24, Jets 26, Rams 7, Bills 31, Colts 24, Jets 19, Dolphins 16, Texans 14, 49ers 41, Jaguars 16, Dolphins 0.  Of the 16 games, only three resulted in the competition scoring 30 or more points.  In eight of the games, the competition scored 20 or less.  Considering the number of players who remained on the defensive side of the ball from last year, I think this bodes very well for this team.

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
                   Very good point. I remember we made Seneca Wallace look like an All-Pro. We haven't gone up against a decent QB yet but Sunday's test against Atlanta should give our secondary a bigger challenge. We still need to get more pressure up front. That, to me, would do more to help out the secondary than anything else I can think of. 

[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Gregory is what he is, he's not much in terms of coverage or reads, but he tries. Duron should surpass him soon, let him play till Duron is ready.

I really like Duron, even though I was his biggest critic when drafted, but he is a true leader.

Paul Scholes; He scores goals! (clap) X5

Paul Scholes; he scores goals! 

Bwhahahaha!  Sorry dude, but that just struck me funny.

He sucks..... But let's start him at safety because he tries!!  Hahahahaha!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

[QUOTE]

Gregory is what he is, he's not much in terms of coverage or reads, but he tries. Duron should surpass him soon, let him play till Duron is ready.

I really like Duron, even though I was his biggest critic when drafted, but he is a true leader.

[/QUOTE]

He doesn't suck, he's average.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He doesn't suck, he's just average.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

He can tackle, pass, head,
    Michael Carrick is a Red.
    Gerrard, Lampard, Fabregas,
    Your not fit to wipe his as..I was saying.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He doesn't suck, he's just average.

[/QUOTE]

Ok, fair enough.

Sections
Shortcuts