Safety Position trouble for tomorrow.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Safety Position trouble for tomorrow.

Who else can play safety?  Only have McCourty, Steve Gregory and Tavon Wilson for the game tomorrow.  Edelman?  Can Edleman play safety?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from APpats22. Show APpats22's posts

Re: Safety Position trouble for tomorrow.

What happened to Harmon and Ebner?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from APpats22. Show APpats22's posts

Oops forget it. I saw it. That's rough man. Good thing were facing the Bills and an unproven rookie and not Manning or something

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to APpats22's comment:

What happened to Harmon and Ebner?

OUT!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from APpats22. Show APpats22's posts

Reiss said Cole could be an option if we need it back there. And, i'm going on a limb here, but maybe possiby Collins??

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Collins plays SS exra LB. Love it

"Defense Wins Championships"

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Every DB on the team can play Safety, but not every DB can play Corner. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to APpats22's comment:

Reiss said Cole could be an option if we need it back there. And, i'm going on a limb here, but maybe possiby Collins??

My first guess

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Boy our DBS get hurt a lota lot
    Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Do we even need safeties tomorrow?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from APpats22. Show APpats22's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Do we even need safeties tomorrow?

lol true

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Yep, Collins at SS, and five defensive linemen.

Buffalo's QB is coming off a 3 week layoff, which for a rookie quarterback is crazy.  Manuel has never played against anybody but NFL backups, the kind that are making practice squads now.  If Manuel is just a bit rusty from the injury layoff, who would guess?  Expect a really bad vanilla offense, the kind that cornerbacks can sit on. 

Buffalo has one passing weapon and he's coming off an 8 week layoff so expect a bit of rust.  Buffalo's other two WRs were graded as "Average" (fourth category out of six) and "Poor" by ProFootballFocus, and their tight end was another "Average".  Manuel has only passed to many of these guys in practice, not in a game situation. 

That leaves running back C.J. Spiller, who also catches passes.  Spiller might get the ball on 80% of the plays.  240 pounder Collins can shadow him. 

If ever BB pulled out a unique defense, now would be the time.  He's had three weeks to plan a defense against the rookie and against this communication-challenged Buffalo team.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:

Well said...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

not always true, you can't just flip a switch and move from CB to S over night. Esp SS, that's a bit tougher. True is right Collins is most likely as a money S but he's a bit to slow to cover anything but a TE or a RB out of the back field in a zone. Thankfully Gregory can play both so lets cross our fingers that no one gets hurt. Loving that A. WIlson signing more and more everyday.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:

Yep, Collins at SS, and five defensive linemen.

Buffalo's QB is coming off a 3 week layoff, which for a rookie quarterback is crazy.  Manuel has never played against anybody but NFL backups, the kind that are making practice squads now.  If Manuel is just a bit rusty from the injury layoff, who would guess?  Expect a really bad vanilla offense, the kind that cornerbacks can sit on. 

Buffalo has one passing weapon and he's coming off an 8 week layoff so expect a bit of rust.  Buffalo's other two WRs were graded as "Average" (fourth category out of six) and "Poor" by ProFootballFocus, and their tight end was another "Average".  Manuel has only passed to many of these guys in practice, not in a game situation. 

That leaves running back C.J. Spiller, who also catches passes.  Spiller might get the ball on 80% of the plays.  240 pounder Collins can shadow him. 

If ever BB pulled out a unique defense, now would be the time.  He's had three weeks to plan a defense against the rookie and against this communication-challenged Buffalo team.

Every DL man will dress.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

not always true, you can't just flip a switch and move from CB to S over night. Esp SS, that's a bit tougher. True is right Collins is most likely as a money S but he's a bit to slow to cover anything but a TE or a RB out of the back field in a zone. Thankfully Gregory can play both so lets cross our fingers that no one gets hurt. Loving that A. WIlson signing more and more everyday.

Eng, I say again, ANY NFL DB CAN play Safety but not all DBs can play CB. CB is the most physically and skill set demanding for a DB, and as long as the player understands the coverage assignments, which can be simplified and left at Cover-1 or 2 Safety is the easier position.  the weak side Safety in cover-2 already functions like a Strong Safety and is respo sible for maitaining "outside/primary contain" on run support as it is. Safety is a much less complicated position than CB. i played CB and Safety professionally, and let me guess.....you must have played Safety at some time in your life, no? So, the answer I gave is THE correct answer given the other options. If Collins plays both already, then great. Otherwise a present DB is the right choice.  THANKS!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Eng, I say again, ANY NFL DB CAN play Safety but not all DBs can play CB. CB is the most physically demanding, but as long as the player understands the coverage assignments, which can be simplified and left at Cover-1 or 2, the NFL Safety is a much less complicated position than CB. i played CB and Safety profesionally, THANKS!

Oh my bad what team?

and no, I've played with some pretty dumb CB's. Great instincts and man on man they could cover with the best of them but give them space or put them in a zone read and they fell apart. S is a bit more thinking intensive reading plays and understanding receiver movements as well as breaking down which CB's need the help. Some CB's just can't make that jump. I agree S is easier to play from a physical stand point but it's more mentally taxing and some CB's can't handle the mental aspect when they have to think about more than 1 WR at a time

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Eng, I say again, ANY NFL DB CAN play Safety but not all DBs can play CB. CB is the most physically demanding, but as long as the player understands the coverage assignments, which can be simplified and left at Cover-1 or 2, the NFL Safety is a much less complicated position than CB. i played CB and Safety profesionally, THANKS!

Oh my bad what team?

and no, I've played with some pretty dumb CB's. Great instincts and man on man they could cover with the best of them but give them space or put them in a zone read and they fell apart. S is a bit more thinking intensive reading plays and understanding receiver movements as well as breaking down which CB's need the help. Some CB's just can't make that jump. I agree S is easier to play from a physical stand point but it's more mentally taxing and some CB's can't handle the mental aspect when they have to think about more than 1 WR at a time

We are talking about NFL CBs/DBs, so i dont think we're gonna have that problem. But, when in college, I saw the same thing from time to time for CBs in underneath zone. But to clarify, Zone coverage in Cover1 or 2 for a safety is pretty damned easy dude. Either deep free or deep half. Not sure what you are getting at. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

We are talking about NFL CBs/DBs, so i dont think we're gonna have that problem. But, when in college, I saw the samw thing from time to time. 

even in the NFL I still see some CB's who can only think about 1 WR at a time. There are some WR's who are just better at man than zone or get confused with overly complicated game planning. How many have we seen on this team that are better at man than zone and vice versa and couldn't play both. True anyone can play any position (Arrington at DE) but the difference is can they be effective at it. Edelman at CB or Cole at S is a break in case of emergency option but would you say they can play those positions effectively? I would say they are just good enough to give spot downs but if you leave them there for any length they will be exposed quickly. The real question is if your statement was true why didn't they try to move Butler to S at some point, since it should be an easier position to play given he had physical ability but they opted for McCourty who took to the switch naturally. Now I do believe CB -> S and TE -> FB are two of the easiest transitions to make in the game but it's not as simple as any DB can be a S but not everyone can be a CB type of deal.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Serious problems in the secondary I agree. Jarius Byrd doubtful and Gilmore out. I expect to put up 42 points in Buffalo.

Wait, you meant trouble for us?

"Defense Wins Championships"

Sections
Shortcuts