Safety talk...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Safety talk...

So we lost out on Landry... Bell is talked about by some but at 34 he is long in the tooth for me.
    How about O.J. Atogwe who is a FA Free Safety from the Redskins system and is younger then Bell @ 31. He is a pretty good Safety but has had some injury issues like Landry.
    If you were willing to kick the tires of Landry this guy seems like the better fit position wise in my opinion.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Re: Safety talk...

I wouldnt mind any help to be honest with you. I would be concerned if he wanted big money like the skins gave him though.;

I dont see how Landry was signed if he isnt ready to play. I just hope that one doesnt come back to haunt us. If the Jets get a healthy Landry he will be a problem for us. Can we scheme our offense to exploit him, sure! But he WILL get his share of big hits on our recievers...

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

BB might go after Barron/Smith in the draft so all hope is not lost.

I would like BB to go and kick the tires on OJ Otogwe/Bell though, we need someone back there...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I like the gregory pick up. He is our best FS right now. I dont see the need to keep McCourty at safety. He was ok there, but his angles were bad, and he is not ideal. Sure he can tackle,  but he cant intimidate there. Lets give the position to someone with experience and allow MCcourty to get back to form. Having him at safety is a waste. Maybe a backup, but I tell him man up and play like you did before, or ride the bench as a backup.

Gregory is our FS, as far as im concerned.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Yeah, Landry will be a "big problem" for us. lol

He'll look really good attempting to cover Hernandez or tackling Gronk, ready to rip the roid ridden bicep in half.

Jets are in real trouble. Jim Leonhard ran their back end.  When he's not on the field, they're a different secondary.

With Revis holding out again to rengotiate his contract, it's only worse for the Jetsies.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

In Response to Re: Safety talk...:
    [QUOTE]Smith really intrigues me in this Draft, Weiss had to recruit this kid. I bet BB is making a call to his old buddy.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

Smith won't be there at 27.

Here's a SKins fan take on Landry:

"Landry's been a disappointment ever since Taylor was killed. 

He's awful in coverage, he takes terrible angles in pursuit and he over commits on edge coverage and blitzes. 

He's a terrible tackler: he refuses to wrap up and he is as likely to crush his own teammate as he is to crush the ball carrier. Most of the time when he hits a guy they don't go down. When he does make a tackle it's usually well beyond the yards to gain for a first down at which point he'll give you a gun show.  

He lifts weights too often with no downtime which only makes his injuries worse. 

He's highly overrated and looks big, but he's slow, injured and doesn't know how to take care of himself.
    "

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

McCourty will almost definitely be a cornerback next season.  I like Gregory as well.  He's a good deep field coverage safety.  I think Harrison Smith is PERFECT for the Patriots.  Extremely smart, athletic, fluid in coverage and good against the run.  Also, as mentioned above, there is the Weiss connection.  I would move up in the draft it that's what it takes to get him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I like Smith and he did have a good workout, but to move up and get him??

I dont know. I cant remember him playing better than T.Zibakowski did while there and he took about 3 years to make an impact in the NFL and even now is considered a subpackage guy.

Smith would be a good fit, I believe. I wouldnt trade up for him though.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

Atogwe would be an excellent pickup as he has cover ability(neccesary in today's NFL),good ball skils and though he isn't the biggest hitter in the league he is a sure tackler who plays smart and takes really good angles in pursuit.I fear,however,that his asking price may be too high.It is reasonable to assume that B.B.will look for a young safety in the draft but then again,assuming anything about Bill is a fools mission.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Any FS they draft wll take a few years to develop. Moreover, everyone on the market is a SS, or in the box type safety, not a kind of guy who can go over the top. 

Personally, I like the idea of keeping McCourty there to see what else he has. It plays to his strengths as a player: drving at the ball, keeping the play in front of him, closing speed. No he isn't a fearsome hitter, but Chung is, and you can always get hockey style enforcers cheap. 

O.J. is the closest thing to a fit, but the Jets are coming after him as well. Noy sure about a bidding war for an ok safety. NE really does need to draft someone though. They really need to draft a few DBs.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I'd be happy if they brought back Ihedigbo to back up Chung. As a coverage safety Ihedigbo stunk but as a in the box SS he was good for a backup. I'd bring him back and dump Brown and Barrett. Then I'd look at a conversion CB/FS in the draft Trumaine Johnson, George Iloka, or Alfonzo Dennard to back up Gregory and learn the system for a couple years before taking over. Worst case is Gregory or the draft picks fails in which case you have McCourty or Moore that can swing over to the FS spot.

But, I don't think they need to make any drastic moves. If they sign Webb and give up that first then McCourty becomes that swing CB/FS to back up Gregory with Moore as a 3rd backup and you can wait until next year during a much stronger S class to grab one.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Safety talk... : Smith won't be there at 27. Here's a SKins fan take on Landry: "Landry's been a disappointment ever since Taylor was killed.    He's awful in coverage, he takes terrible angles in pursuit and he over commits on edge coverage and blitzes.    He's a terrible tackler: he refuses to wrap up and he is as likely to crush his own teammate as he is to crush the ball carrier. Most of the time when he hits a guy they don't go down. When he does make a tackle it's usually well beyond the yards to gain for a first down at which point he'll give you a gun show.     He lifts weights too often with no downtime which only makes his injuries worse.    He's highly overrated and looks big, but he's slow, injured and doesn't know how to take care of himself. "
    Posted by BassFishing[/QUOTE]
    Sounds like Meriweather, part deux.  I was never sold on him and am just as happy as can be that the Jets got him.  He's a torn bicep waiting to happen.

This isn't the year to solve your safety issue; there's just not enough depth in free agency OR the draft.  Gregory is a decent 1- or 2-year band aid, paired with Chung.  My hope is that he's a speedier James Sanders.  Use a mid-round pick on depth at the position (to go with Ihedigbo and Brown), bring in a couple UDFAs for competition and you can survive the year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Rusty's analysis is way off, but I agree, if he is hurt, we were right not to sign him

Typical Rusty. Any moves the Jets make are horrible, yet he praised the Ellis signing and Haynesworth signing.

Last week he was on board with Landry if he was healthy and NOW he is terrible in coverage, refuses to wrap up, blah, blah, blah.

Here is news for you Rusty. Football Players LIFT Weights. Well, execpt for D.Butler who I told you would be a bust due to that exact same reason. NO strength.

If you wanna say the guy hasnt been healthy in 2 years ok, but please stop exxagerating things to make a point to the trolls.

When Pats overspend on garbage, its a totally different story, low risk, high reward scenario. When the Jets do the same, its Hilarious to you...lol

Ellis last year is Landry this year. If Landry is healthy at all, he will do more than Ellis did for us last year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]Rusty's analysis is way off, but I agree, if he is hurt, we were right not to sign him Typical Rusty. Any moves the Jets make are horrible, yet he praised the Ellis signing and Haynesworth signing. Last week he was on board with Landry if he was healthy and NOW he is terrible in coverage, refuses to wrap up, blah, blah, blah. Here is news for you Rusty. Football Players LIFT Weights. Well, execpt for D.Butler who I told you would be a bust due to that exact same reason. NO strength. If you wanna say the guy hasnt been healthy in 2 years ok, but please stop exxagerating things to make a point to the trolls. When Pats overspend on garbage, its a totally different story, low risk, high reward scenario. When the Jets do the same, its Hilarious to you...lol Ellis last year is Landry this year. If Landry is healthy at all, he will do more than Ellis did for us last year.
    Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]

Well I've never been a fan of Landry coming here and I'm glad they didn't get him

As for the lifting weights aspect, yes all footballs lift weights, however, most football players do it supervised by the team and under a strict regiment to control their muscle mass relative to their playing style. Landry bulked up with no concern on how it could negatively affect his play or without even practicing to maintain proper muscle conditioning. He bulked up just to bulk up and that's going a step above what most football players do. Rusty is right in that aspect, bulking up this much without proper conditioning and practicing could lead to some major injures once those new bigger muscles are used in a manner they weren't built up to do. You see it all the time, a person bulks up over the off-season and then when they get on the field they tear something on a routine drill or play. That's why most players are suppose to maintain weight throughout the off-season and build up mass (if needed) during pre-season and during the season. So their muscles are properly conditioned for what they will be used for on the field. And, no I don't think athletes can properly train themselves like normal everyday people. That's why teams have armies of trainers, nutritionist, and doctors right up regime and off-season workout routines for players. Some teams/players even go so far as to higher consultants outside the organization to work with players over the off-season to maintain their bodies

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Eng, If Landry doesnt fall apart after 5 minutes on the field, can we just say that both of you guys are wrong?

With all due respect, How do you know what the limit is for someone working out in the offseason? Is it based on you gasping at him posing?  Do you realize that you look bigger RIGHT after a workout , which is what Landry did before picture.

Do you think Landry is the only player to lift weights in the offseason? I know we love to ridicule the jets organization here, but do you believe they would pay 4million for a guy who CANNOT play at ALL? and do you also believe the Pats had him in JUST to drive up the price or maybe we wanted his services too due to the disaster we had last year?

I just wish folks kept it real. If Landry signed here, there may have been mixed reviews, but I garauntee Rusty gives a bigger endorsment than what he just said.

M.Wright was a Muscle head too. Castillo was on Roids and still went top ten and had a good rookie year. We are talking about football. The games where guys get caught for P.E.D's and steroid, etc and you think a guy who lifts too much cannot play?  That seems silly to me,but no offense, just how I see it.

How many games does  Landry have to make it through for you to consider yourself wrong on the topic? thats All I want to know.    Respect

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]Eng, If Landry doesnt fall apart after 5 minutes on the field, can we just say that both of you guys are wrong? With all due respect, How do you know what the limit is for someone working out in the offseason? Is it based on you gasping at him posing?  Do you realize that you look bigger RIGHT after a workout , which is what Landry did before picture. Do you think Landry is the only player to lift weights in the offseason? I know we love to ridicule the jets organization here, but do you believe they would pay 4million for a guy who CANNOT play at ALL? and do you also believe the Pats had him in JUST to drive up the price or maybe we wanted his services too due to the disaster we had last year? I just wish folks kept it real. If Landry signed here, there may have been mixed reviews, but I garauntee Rusty gives a bigger endorsment than what he just said. M.Wright was a Muscle head too. Castillo was on Roids and still went top ten and had a good rookie year. We are talking about football. The games where guys get caught for P.E.D's and steroid, etc and you think a guy who lifts too much cannot play?  That seems silly to me,but no offense, just how I see it. How many games does  Landry have to make it through for you to consider yourself wrong on the topic? thats All I want to know.    Respect

There is no set limit. All I know is when I see a player after a season then I see significant bulk right before the next season injures are usually results. You don't need to just look at the pics. Landry himself said he wanted to bulk up to 240lbs. That's him saying he wanted to.

I hate to tell you too that even after a workout your body doesn't increase that much mass compared to previous pictures. He added a ton of bulk, my guess is about 20lbs (or about what he said he wanted to)

Yes I do believe the Jets would do that, why? Because they've done it before in the past! They done it with workout warriors all the time, that's what the Jets do.

I'd be shocked if he lasted the season without a major injury. If he does I'll admit I was wrong but not after 5mins.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Gregory is a significant upgrade at free safety, with Chung you have a starting SS already, McCourty will go back to corner and we'll draft another safety for depth, there are quite a few solid safety prospects and safeties almost never get drafted in the first round.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Cool, thats fair. I am not in love with the guy but I did think he could have helped. I just think there is a lot of speculation going on.

IN the article with pic, he said he was currently at 218. Maybe he wasnt truthfull, but why lie to a twitter fan?  Also, everyones body is different and able to handle different amounts of mass. If he doesnt come in looking like a linebacker I think he will be ok.

Ty law ballooned into a fat chipmunk with the Jets and still manages 10 Int's.

I think the hate is more of wishful thinking on russ' part. With you, I do believe you make valid points about Landry, but I really thinks it about his achilles, not his big arms. IF he cant RUN, its all mute, and if he can, his arms wont/shouldnt hinder his ability.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I agree wozzy. The more B.B. shores up in free agency, the more flexible he cna be to get players to take a chance on. Meaning he can grab a couple safeties late and see if he finds a diamond in the rough.

Only positional needs at this point are D-lineman, OLB, and maybe a Center. Now he can use some pics to take chances, instead of "need" pics.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE]Ty law ballooned into a fat chipmunk with the Jets and still manages 10 Int's

LOL!

This is the normal Jay I like. That was funny.

Why do I "hate" Landry?  Where do you get this stuff?

My reasoning is, his health, his possible roid issues, and the fact the Skins, of all teams, ddin't even want him, only to sign Meriweather.

Leave it to the Jets to be impressed with a Safety who can't cover in a divisionn with Brady and our offense.  Again, I go by my eyes and use facts to make sense of things.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE]Gregory is a significant upgrade at free safety, with Chung you have a starting SS already, McCourty will go back to corner and we'll draft another safety for depth, there are quite a few solid safety prospects and safeties almost never get drafted in the first round.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

That's exactly how I see it.  One more FA Safety, and go high in the draft for one to develop. I see the same thing with the WR position. I like Sanu and Joe Adams as developing WRs here. Draft each to get them to learn from Lloyd and Welker or Branch, etc.

Sections
Shortcuts