Safety talk...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Safety talk...

In Response to Re: Safety talk...:
    [QUOTE]Cool, thats fair. I am not in love with the guy but I did think he could have helped. I just think there is a lot of speculation going on. IN the article with pic, he said he was currently at 218. Maybe he wasnt truthfull, but why lie to a twitter fan?  Also, everyones body is different and able to handle different amounts of mass. If he doesnt come in looking like a linebacker I think he will be ok. Ty law ballooned into a fat chipmunk with the Jets and still manages 10 Int's. I think the hate is more of wishful thinking on russ' part. With you, I do believe you make valid points about Landry, but I really thinks it about his achilles, not his big arms. IF he cant RUN, its all mute, and if he can, his arms wont/shouldnt hinder his ability.
    Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]

I will agree, if he comes in at his previous playing weight and if he is healthy and stay healthy he can be a good-great SS.

The one thing I'd like to add that his arms do affect his legs. If his playing weight is 220 and he hit his 240lb mark that he wanted to then that extra 20lbs makes a huge difference in playing speed. It will slow him down tremendously. Also, those bigger arms are harder to move because you can't move then as fast for quick change of direction. DB's and WR's use their arms quite frequently to add momentum and add in CoD ability. With larger arms it limits fluidity and CoD ability, this does affect his ability to cover. Look at some of the better CoD people around the league. Then have strong defined arms but not overly large arms. When they run and change direction watch how they move those arm's, it's very graceful how they throw their arms to change momentum. When your arms are so big you can't put them down it adds a lot of friction between them and your body when running. As such you can't build up the maximum momentum and you can't use them to enhance your lower bodies ability to turn. If you notice the larger the body and the larger the arms, typically the lower the mobility. There are rare exceptions but going from 220 to 240 more then likely will have a substantial affect

In the end it will come down to what he comes into camp as but I'll beat, if the Jets were smart, they'd tell him to slim down a bit and gain back some agility and speed over the added upper body strength

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

Would Jim Leonhard be an cheap upgrade over Gregory. I know he got a ton of praise form the Jets for calling out coverages and making smart plays. When he broke his leg the Jets really struggled. Just a thought.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Without any moves I heard the Patriots have 12 million give or take in remaining space. Figure on 5 for the draft and that leaves them with 7 left to spend. The Patriots will want some room left for inseason moves if needed as well. The Pats can get another 8 million when Light announces he is retiring. (I will be shocked if he stays) I also think Ocho stays but may get a new deal worked that reduces his cap hit. And as I have said I will be shocked if WW plays under the tag I see him signing a new deal that reduces the hit from 9.4 to closer to 6, gaining them another three.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 15315k. Show 15315k's posts

My opinion is that Gregory is going to surprise some people, Belichick will have him in the right position to become an impact back there. He has a way of getting the most out of certain players and I see that happening here too. They will probably draft a safety if the right player is still out there. Bill Belichick has set this up perfectly for the draft. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Seems to me they have plenty of space to get anyone they want when you take into account my previous post which is pretty accurate. Basicly it means if all the possibles happen they have 15 million give or take to still spend if they make the above happen.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Draft a young guy and stop looking at the retreads that are availible as all of them are toast. Re-sign Ihebigbo and go from there. Iloka is a good safety who can play some CB in a pinch,Smith and Barron might already be off the board by the time 27 rolls around.In any case the defense needs to shore up its ranks as it looks like Anderson is leaving for parts unknown. I can actually see BB drafting the two kids from Nebraska Dennard and Crick at 27 and 31.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

I'd much rather have the Patriots improve the pass rush; even though a good secondary is complementary to the front 7.

Here's the rationale....even with a better safety; let's say a Rodney Harrison type, an opposing receiver has an advantage IF WE CAN'T GET SIGNIFICANT PRESSURE ON THE OPPOSING QB. Give any average NFL QB enough time, and they will find an open receiver.

On the other hand, if the Patriots improve their pass rush enough to harrass opposing QBs in the form of hurries, knockdowns, sacks, and hits on the throwing arm....it doesn't matter much if their receiver gets open.

So, right now, it's more important for the Patriots to improve the pass rush vs. secondary. The Patriots need to improve the defense enough so that that side of the ball can win a game or two, and get opposing offenses off the field when needed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

bump

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Yes I think Bill drove Landrys price up a litttle. Not only reason they were talking with him though. I will be suprised if they go defense with both 27 and 31 and even more suprised if they don't trade back with one of them.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

what about bell from miami?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I hope they take a look at Bell. He is a good SS with decent range.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7movKfyTBII&ob=av2e

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

[QUOTE]I like the gregory pick up. He is our best FS right now. I dont see the need to keep McCourty at safety. He was ok there, but his angles were bad, and he is not ideal. Sure he can tackle,  but he cant intimidate there. Lets give the position to someone with experience and allow MCcourty to get back to form. Having him at safety is a waste. Maybe a backup, but I tell him man up and play like you did before, or ride the bench as a backup. Gregory is our FS, as far as im concerned.
    Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't bank as much on the intimidation factor. In the new NFL a safety who used to intimidating is going to be draped with flags everytime he makes a hit designed to intimidate receivers.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Yeremiah Bell!

Was a team captain in Miami, played every game 4 years in a row despite just turning 34, made 100+ tackles each of those years

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Yeremiah Bell!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Patseng, Im not really a "I told you type of guy" but hey, I told you so...lol

Just messing but like I said then, Football players lift weights and taking a pic after a workout will make you look bigger but he is the same guy who came into the league big and it was silly to say he cant play because he lifts too many weights. 7 games in. 7 starts and Chung is on the shelf...

Its funny looking at everyone downtalk someon as soon as he becomes a jet also. Rkarp was the only one pushing for Bell w/me. Jets got 2 good players who while not great could def. be helping our putrid secondary..

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

[QUOTE]Eng, If Landry doesnt fall apart after 5 minutes on the field, can we just say that both of you guys are wrong? With all due respect, How do you know what the limit is for someone working out in the offseason? Is it based on you gasping at him posing?  Do you realize that you look bigger RIGHT after a workout , which is what Landry did before picture. Do you think Landry is the only player to lift weights in the offseason? I know we love to ridicule the jets organization here, but do you believe they would pay 4million for a guy who CANNOT play at ALL? and do you also believe the Pats had him in JUST to drive up the price or maybe we wanted his services too due to the disaster we had last year? I just wish folks kept it real. If Landry signed here, there may have been mixed reviews, but I garauntee Rusty gives a bigger endorsment than what he just said. M.Wright was a Muscle head too. Castillo was on Roids and still went top ten and had a good rookie year. We are talking about football. The games where guys get caught for P.E.D's and steroid, etc and you think a guy who lifts too much cannot play?  That seems silly to me,but no offense, just how I see it. How many games does  Landry have to make it through for you to consider yourself wrong on the topic? thats All I want to know.    Respect
    Posted by JayShizzle45

There is no set limit. All I know is when I see a player after a season then I see significant bulk right before the next season injures are usually results. You don't need to just look at the pics. Landry himself said he wanted to bulk up to 240lbs. That's him saying he wanted to.

I hate to tell you too that even after a workout your body doesn't increase that much mass compared to previous pictures. He added a ton of bulk, my guess is about 20lbs (or about what he said he wanted to)

Yes I do believe the Jets would do that, why? Because they've done it before in the past! They done it with workout warriors all the time, that's what the Jets do.

I'd be shocked if he lasted the season without a major injury. If he does I'll admit I was wrong but not after 5mins.
    [/QUOTE]

since im childish, I'll bump again...its a slow day...lol

hows that foot taste?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Patseng, Im not really a "I told you type of guy" but hey, I told you so...lol

Just messing but like I said then, Football players lift weights and taking a pic after a workout will make you look bigger but he is the same guy who came into the league big and it was silly to say he cant play because he lifts too many weights. 7 games in. 7 starts and Chung is on the shelf...

Its funny looking at everyone downtalk someon as soon as he becomes a jet also. Rkarp was the only one pushing for Bell w/me. Jets got 2 good players who while not great could def. be helping our putrid secondary..

[/QUOTE]

good points.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Eng, If Landry doesnt fall apart after 5 minutes on the field, can we just say that both of you guys are wrong? With all due respect, How do you know what the limit is for someone working out in the offseason? Is it based on you gasping at him posing?  Do you realize that you look bigger RIGHT after a workout , which is what Landry did before picture. Do you think Landry is the only player to lift weights in the offseason? I know we love to ridicule the jets organization here, but do you believe they would pay 4million for a guy who CANNOT play at ALL? and do you also believe the Pats had him in JUST to drive up the price or maybe we wanted his services too due to the disaster we had last year? I just wish folks kept it real. If Landry signed here, there may have been mixed reviews, but I garauntee Rusty gives a bigger endorsment than what he just said. M.Wright was a Muscle head too. Castillo was on Roids and still went top ten and had a good rookie year. We are talking about football. The games where guys get caught for P.E.D's and steroid, etc and you think a guy who lifts too much cannot play?  That seems silly to me,but no offense, just how I see it. How many games does  Landry have to make it through for you to consider yourself wrong on the topic? thats All I want to know.    Respect
    Posted by JayShizzle45

There is no set limit. All I know is when I see a player after a season then I see significant bulk right before the next season injures are usually results. You don't need to just look at the pics. Landry himself said he wanted to bulk up to 240lbs. That's him saying he wanted to.

I hate to tell you too that even after a workout your body doesn't increase that much mass compared to previous pictures. He added a ton of bulk, my guess is about 20lbs (or about what he said he wanted to)

Yes I do believe the Jets would do that, why? Because they've done it before in the past! They done it with workout warriors all the time, that's what the Jets do.

I'd be shocked if he lasted the season without a major injury. If he does I'll admit I was wrong but not after 5mins.
    [/QUOTE]

hows that foot taste?

[/QUOTE]

being on something is no assurance you are going to be injured, especially in a given year vs after several years on stuff.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Posted by JayShizzle45

[/QUOTE]

hows that foot taste?

[/QUOTE]

being on something is no assurance you are going to be injured, especially in a given year vs after several years on stuff.

[/QUOTE]

People forgot our Beloved Rodney Harrison was on HGH and he seemed to look fine on the field and he is pretty jacked too.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to bredbru's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Posted by JayShizzle45

[/QUOTE]

hows that foot taste?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

People forgot our Beloved Rodney Harrison was on HGH and he seemed to look fine on the field and he is pretty jacked too.

[/QUOTE]

is that public record?

no i agree juice doesnt make a plyer perform poorly