Saints: 14 - Vikings: 9

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

Saints: 14 - Vikings: 9

So the Saints start off the NFL season by defeating the Vikings, 14-9.

I'm not going to say that the Saints are a bad team. They're a well run organization, and I have the utmost respect for them, but in my opinion, this win speaks more about the Vikings then it does the Saints.

To be honest, the Vikings looked terrible. Adrian looked solid, but aside from that, nothing looked very good. The Williams brothers were pushed around like rag-dolls, the secondary looked terrible, especially Asher Allen and Hussian Abdullah, who were consistently beat deep. Favre looked off. His passes were terrible, his mind looked to be elsewhere, and to be honest, he looked like he'd rather be anywhere but that game. Lastly, Favre's reaction time looked slow. He seemed to struggle in terms of reading coverages, and he wasn't in synch with his receivers.

Overall, credit to the Saints - they're a great ball club. But in my opinion, we learned a lot more about the Vikings tonight.

Bring on the Bengals!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

Re: Saints: 14 - Vikings: 9

are the saints guards that good or the williams brothers that old. jared allen didnt look good either

In Response to Saints: 14 - Vikings: 9:
    [QUOTE]So the Saints start off the NFL season by defeating the Vikings, 14-9. I'm not going to say that the Saints are a bad team. They're a well run organization, and I have the utmost respect for them, but in my opinion, this win speaks more about the Vikings then it does the Saints. To be honest, the Vikings looked terrible. Adrian looked solid, but aside from that, nothing looked very good. The Williams brothers were pushed around like rag-dolls, the secondary looked terrible, especially Asher Allen and Hussian Abdullah, who were consistently beat deep. Favre looked off. His passes were terrible, his mind looked to be elsewhere, and to be honest, he looked like he'd rather be anywhere but that game. Lastly, Favre's reaction time looked slow. He seemed to struggle in terms of reading coverages, and he wasn't in synch with his receivers. Overall, credit to the Saints - they're a great ball club. But in my opinion, we learned a lot more about the Vikings tonight. Bring on the Bengals!
    Posted by vertigho[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

That the Saints were able to come out and run on the Vikes in the second half is very telling. Favre is noticably rusty and the Vikes are hurting for receivers, but the truth is that neither team played particularly well. Why did Minnesota go away from Adrian Peterson? He was killing the Saints.

Chilly is a dope, but I think Minnesota will get better with work . . .  unless Father Time has finally caught up to the Human Turnover (who was up to his old tricks and lucky to throw only one interception).

Based on this performance, I don't see much to fear from either of these teams . . .  but I wouldn't put too much stock in the result. It's early yet.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

yeah i dont think they ran the ball much at all in the second half. that is vey curious.
    i do think tony "one and done" dungheap was probably right though. farvre did not appear to be in game shape and he was not in synch with his receivers.
    after watching this one, i am  questioning my belief that the top tier nfc teams were superior to what the afc had to offer- it is just the first game though

In Response to Re: Saints: 14 - Vikings: 9:
    [QUOTE]That the Saints were able to come out and run on the Vikes in the second half is very telling. Favre is noticably rusty and the Vikes are hurting for receivers, but the truth is that neither team played particularly well. Why did Minnesota go away from Adrian Peterson? He was killing the Saints. Chilly is a dope, but I think Minnesota will get better with work . . .  unless Father Time has finally caught up to the Human Turnover (who was up to his old tricks and lucky to throw only one interception). Based on this performance, I don't see much to fear from either of these teams . . .  but I wouldn't put too much stock in the result. It's early yet.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I'll have to say that I'm a little disappointed in the Saints. I bet them -6.5.
    I knew the Vikings were still out of Sync and I expected to see more out of the Saints offense. All in All I guess it still looked a little like a preaseason game last night. I'm still glad Favre lost and would like to see their offense completely flop this year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Why do all 32 NFL teams insist on having a training camp when it's clearly unnecessary as shown by Favre's performance.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]Why do all 32 NFL teams insist on having a training camp when it's clearly unnecessary as shown by Favre's performance.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

After watching last nights game I kept thinking about them shortening the preseason which will mean we get two more junk games like that. That game was a complete downer to open the season /> I hope the Pats show better On Sunday. I also hope we don't have to see that Solidarity BS with the players holding up their fingers before every game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FLY2K. Show FLY2K's posts

[QUOTE]That the Saints were able to come out and run on the Vikes in the second half is very telling. Favre is noticably rusty and the Vikes are hurting for receivers, but the truth is that neither team played particularly well. Why did Minnesota go away from Adrian Peterson? He was killing the Saints. Chilly is a dope, but I think Minnesota will get better with work . . .  unless Father Time has finally caught up to the Human Turnover (who was up to his old tricks and lucky to throw only one interception). Based on this performance, I don't see much to fear from either of these teams . . .  but I wouldn't put too much stock in the result. It's early yet.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

I agree the Saints did not look good at all.  If Rice would have played it would have been a different game.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Saints: 14 - Vikings: 9:
    [QUOTE]So the Saints start off the NFL season by defeating the Vikings, 14-9. I'm not going to say that the Saints are a bad team. They're a well run organization, and I have the utmost respect for them, but in my opinion, this win speaks more about the Vikings then it does the Saints. To be honest, the Vikings looked terrible. Adrian looked solid, but aside from that, nothing looked very good. The Williams brothers were pushed around like rag-dolls, the secondary looked terrible, especially Asher Allen and Hussian Abdullah, who were consistently beat deep. Favre looked off. His passes were terrible, his mind looked to be elsewhere, and to be honest, he looked like he'd rather be anywhere but that game. Lastly, Favre's reaction time looked slow. He seemed to struggle in terms of reading coverages, and he wasn't in synch with his receivers. Overall, credit to the Saints - they're a great ball club. But in my opinion, we learned a lot more about the Vikings tonight. Bring on the Bengals!
    Posted by vertigho[/QUOTE]

No doubt that Favre missed Sidney Rice...and that his timing was off. I also thought that the Vikings should have ran the ball more than they did.

I wouldn't be to critical of their "D". Its a rare occasion indeed when Drew Brees and company are held to just 14 points.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoPinkHatPatsFans. Show NoPinkHatPatsFans's posts

1. Stack the box and contain the run. Do not bite on any Favre delays or fakes.
    2. Put a large Safety on Shiancoe.
    3. Keep passes to the sidelines and force Favre to throw there, not down the middle.

Favre = DONE

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]I'll have to say that I'm a little disappointed in the Saints. I bet them -6.5. I knew the Vikings were still out of Sync and I expected to see more out of the Saints offense. All in All I guess it still looked a little like a preaseason game last night. I'm still glad Favre lost and would like to see their offense completely flop this year.
    Posted by ewhite1065[/QUOTE]

That is tough. The Saints hit either one of those makeable field goals and you're covered.

Damn kickers.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Funny....  One game has been played to completion and already the perceptions voiced before any games were played begin to change.  JETS fans, hell, all fans should take notice.  No one knows what will happen until some games have been played.  I'd say it will take about five weeks to begin to separate the men from the boys and even then, things are subject to the vagaries of an NFL season. Who's hurt, who will fall by the wayside and have a season ending or career ending injury, what teams have found sudden new chemistry, what teams have actually drafted players that we never heard of who make an impact immediately. I don't need to provide examples. if you think about it, you can all come up with your own

Some teams start 5 & 0 and still miss the playoffs.  Some teams start woefully and make it.  It is this unpredictability that makes the NFL so much fun to follow, not predictablity.  However, none of that prevents fans from making foolish predictions, based mostly on last years performance and projected improvements due to the draft and free agent pick ups.  Nobody has any idea who will succeed or why they will succeed, nobody. Enjoy the show.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

[QUOTE]Why do all 32 NFL teams insist on having a training camp when it's clearly unnecessary as shown by Favre's performance.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]
    From what I saw, looks like he should've showed up to camp on time. When an offense scores 9, something's wrong.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Saints: 14 - Vikings: 9 : From what I saw, looks like he should've showed up to camp on time. When an offense scores 9, something's wrong.
    Posted by jbolted[/QUOTE]

Oh, there's no question Favre isn't ready -- and, to his credit (although he didn't actually say he was rusty), he did admit that he simply "missed" a lot of reads and throws. The Vikes were able to avoid criticism over this very same thing last season with a fast start despite Favre having to play his way into shape. When you hold N'awlins to 14, you should win. Even given Favre's horrendous play, the Vikes had the recipe to defeat the Saints. I lay the blame for this loss squarely on Chilly, who goes in with a game plan and simply refuses to (or can't) adjust. Minnesota controlled the ball for almost nine minutes and scored their only touchdown in the second quarter featuring Adrian Peterson pounding the ball right at the Saints. It looked, going into the half, as if the Vikings were getting ready to dominate. Then they came out in the second half chucking the ball all over the place.

?????

Poor, poor game management.

Favre will get better.

Chilly won't.

Miami could give these guys a headache they (and we) don't need.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

The game was very hard to watch (boring)....and CC gushing non stop over a guards play was nauseating, kinda like watching water in a stream polish a rock. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Saints: 14 - Vikings: 9 : That is tough. The Saints hit either one of those makeable field goals and you're covered. Damn kickers.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

Oh, I had a few choice words for Hartley..Payton isn't a very tolerant coach with stuff like that. His next game better look better than that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Saints: 14 - Vikings: 9 : Oh, I had a few choice words for Hartley..Payton isn't a very tolerant coach with stuff like that. His next game better look better than that.
    Posted by ewhite1065[/QUOTE]

When he missed the second one, Colllinsworth said, "I guess he needs more pressure," referring, I can only assume, to the overtime kick in the NFC Championship Game earlier this year.

Here's some pressure:

Start making gimme kicks or you're fired.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoPinkHatPatsFans. Show NoPinkHatPatsFans's posts

Agreed. It's a dome for crying out loud so distance isn't the issue.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Saints: 14 - Vikings: 9 : When he missed the second one, Colllinsworth said, "I guess he needs more pressure," referring, I can only assume, to the overtime kick in the NFC Championship Game earlier this year. Here's some pressure: Start making gimme kicks or you're fired.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

For sure..Lots of kickers make lots of kicks but when it goes bad..........
    Look what Happened to Vandersloop, I mean Vanderjerk in Indy. He was king of the world out there and the bottom just fell out.Couldn't even get it together when he changed teams That guy couldn't get into a football stadium with a ticket now.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Saints offense was just all over the place after the first drive. They couldnt get on the same page and were almost on the Vikings level of just being out of sync but they at least were just running

Just what 3 or 4 rushes in the first half alone? If they began to run play action and stayed balanced from the beginning they probably would have carved up the Vikings.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

Hardly the shootout everybody expected. Maybe if Favre had come down off his pedestal and gone to a bit of Training Camp to get some rapport with his receivers they could have won that game.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

a very lackluster game. I wish we could find a Colston if Moss decides to bolt

Sections
Shortcuts