Saints lose FB Heath Evans for season

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasonh86. Show jasonh86's posts

Saints lose FB Heath Evans for season

He had surgery to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament, so he'll be done for the year.

Hate to see a former Pat go down like that; I liked the guy.

But... now it looks like a key cog in their running game is now gone.  Anyone besides me think they'll be seeing a significant decrease in yards per carry now?

Evans was also a key part of the passing game, as he's caught a couple TD's in big spots and has been a very reliable guy for him to dump the ball down to when nobody else is getting open.

If that happens, then they'll be putting it more on Brees' shoulders, which might sound good for Saints fans but then that allows the opposing defenses to bring pressure more often without worrying about the run and keeping him off rhythm and hurried on his throws. 

Seeing a FB go down doesn't sound that bad, but after watching him play in New England and seeing as how their running game all the sudden got really good after they signed him it shows how valuable a guy like that can be. 

Thoughts? Discussions? I'd like to hear some opinions.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Re: Saints lose FB Heath Evans for season

It won't make a difference.  Or it shouldn't, on a good team.  But it's uncanny how we let these guys go right before a major injury.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Sad, but Belichick is going to force the Saints to beat him with their running game, not so much their passing game. He will be missed, but not in the showdown in the Bayou.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

They replaced him with Kyle Eckel too.

I am having fun taunting the fans down here about how their team is NE Pats sloppy seconds.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from One-If-By-Sea. Show One-If-By-Sea's posts

In Response to Re: Saints lose FB Heath Evans for season:
    They replaced him with Kyle Eckel too. I am having fun taunting the fans down here about how their team is NE Pats sloppy seconds.
    Posted by zbellino

Heath Evans is a great guy, sorry to hear that he is hurt. All the best to Heath. It is funny to me that Kyle is the replacement - another great guy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasonh86. Show jasonh86's posts

Sad, but Belichick is going to force the Saints to beat him with their running game, not so much their passing game. He will be missed, but not in the showdown in the Bayou.
    Posted by 49Patriots

If Bill will try to make them beat him with the running game, then I'd say they'll miss a very good run-blocking FB.  Who's going to pave the way for their backs now? Kyle Eckel?... He's not Heath Evans, but we'll see if it drops off or not. 

I think this works to the oppositions advantage.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from choircontrarian. Show choircontrarian's posts

In Response to Re: Saints lose FB Heath Evans for season : If Bill will try to make them beat him with the running game, then I'd say they'll miss a very good run-blocking FB.  Who's going to pave the way for their backs now? Kyle Eckel?... He's not Heath Evans, but we'll see if it drops off or not.  I think this works to the oppositions advantage.
    Posted by jasonh86
    remember joey klecko making that big catch against us in 2006 playoffs versus the colts? i smell that coming from eckel. he's a tough guy and even tougher runner. he has some skills, just odd guy out due to nfl numbers games.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Saints lose FB Heath Evans for season:
    He had surgery to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament, so he'll be done for the year. Hate to see a former Pat go down like that; I liked the guy. But... now it looks like a key cog in their running game is now gone.  Anyone besides me think they'll be seeing a significant decrease in yards per carry now? Evans was also a key part of the passing game, as he's caught a couple TD's in big spots and has been a very reliable guy for him to dump the ball down to when nobody else is getting open. If that happens, then they'll be putting it more on Brees' shoulders, which might sound good for Saints fans but then that allows the opposing defenses to bring pressure more often without worrying about the run and keeping him off rhythm and hurried on his throws.  Seeing a FB go down doesn't sound that bad, but after watching him play in New England and seeing as how their running game all the sudden got really good after they signed him it shows how valuable a guy like that can be.  Thoughts? Discussions? I'd like to hear some opinions.
    Posted by jasonh86

And they signed Kyle Eckel, another former Patriot fullback. I think Randall Gay is already on the team....and there's one other former Patriot there...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

Heath does it all, the Saints will miss him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasonh86. Show jasonh86's posts

Heath does it all, the Saints will miss him.
    Posted by PatsRfineIn09

I agree. 

I didn't post for people to say how many former Pats are on the Saints team, I was posting it for people to discuss how much/how little they're going to miss him.  I think he was so versatile that he provided more than what the normal FB did, so his blocking and catching will be thoroughly missed.  I don't care if people share my same opinion, I just wanted to discuss the absence of a player and the affect it will have on the team.

Sections
Shortcuts