Saints releasing Darren Sproles!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Re: Saints releasing Darren Sproles!!!

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

In response to 42AND46's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

This must mean salary cap hell!! Cutting a 30 year old running back in decline (as the article states)...oh the horror! Bawahaha!

Sorry homer truechamp, but this is the NFL business landscape....business as usual. Old players get moved out to sign bigger, better young one's. I'm sure the Saints would rather keep Jimmy Graham - they used Sproles while he was young and good...they've won their Super Bowl...they're back to making the playoffs and if it weren't for Seattle and San Fran they might of won another one.

Salary cap hell...soooo scary. If Sproles was a year older we might be interested in signing him, he could sit on the IR with Adrian Wilson.

more than a homer TC is maybe a notch below ol' Russ in the "Bellichick is God" club...and he uses el queeno's silly "cap hell" argument all the time...i did wonder aloud here on BDC more than once if TC=Rusty...i don't think so but u gotta wonder

Ahhhhh the satisfaction of being called a homer by 2 guys who's sole mission on this board is to bash the Patriots! Laughing

BDC PC Dictionary
    homer (noun) ho-mer:  a knowledgeable New England Patriots fan who is always on the right side of every discussion

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

In response to AyyyBoston's comment:

So the Giant fan on the Patriot board is asking why we might care about a team we don't root for?

POT: Hey kettle!

KETTLE: Yeah, what do you want Pot?

POT: You black!

LOL you beat me to it Muzz!

Piling on is good too!

Count me on that pile,

when ever  a braand name player is released from any team, it is worth a thread. as taking a pass for the pats makes any sense or not, 

i pass

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

how is Jimmy G mad?  all this is for his paycheck.  In order to pay him they have to get rid of em all.  can't drink the bottom half of the glass of water before drinking the top.  Unless you use a straw.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

Like Get Drunk said, Jim they are doing this for you buddy. Except for you and Brees your team is being dismantled. It is to late to be disappointed or upset be happy you got your money.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

Sproles and Graham were the basis of the Saints' offense, Graham was constantly taken out of the offense last year. Next year, the Saints offense is not going to be elite.

How do you figure? Sproles played 33% of the snaps, and was losing more time to Ingram and Robinson. How/why do you pay a 4th RB option $3.5M? It's been no secret they have been trying to trade him with no takers. 

Again, we say it over and over. Teams do this every day, and people yell salary cap hell, those teams are no way run as efficiently as BB runs the pats. Yet BB moves on from Woody, and it is prudent cap management. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

This must mean salary cap hell!! Cutting a 30 year old running back in decline (as the article states)...oh the horror! Bawahaha!

Sorry homer truechamp, but this is the NFL business landscape....business as usual. Old players get moved out to sign bigger, better young one's. I'm sure the Saints would rather keep Jimmy Graham - they used Sproles while he was young and good...they've won their Super Bowl...they're back to making the playoffs and if it weren't for Seattle and San Fran they might of won another one.

Salary cap hell...soooo scary. If Sproles was a year older we might be interested in signing him, he could sit on the IR with Adrian Wilson.

more than a homer TC is maybe a notch below ol' Russ in the "Bellichick is God" club...and he uses el queeno's silly "cap hell" argument all the time...i did wonder aloud here on BDC more than once if TC=Rusty...i don't think so but u gotta wonder

Ahhhhh the satisfaction of being called a homer by 2 guys who's sole mission on this board is to bash the Patriots! Laughing

I don't come here to bash the patriots...that's not true if u took the time to read most of my posts

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

BDC PC Dictionary
    homer (noun) ho-mer:  a knowledgeable New England Patriots fan who is always on the right side of every discussion

nobody is ever on the "right" side of every discussion

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Having to release a good player to get under the cap means you had a good player on your roster.  You can avoid ever having to release a good player for cap reasons by simply not signing any good players. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

BDC PC Dictionary

My very presence in this forum proves that, once again, you are on the wrong side of the discussion.  Homers are never wrong.  Says so in the dictionary.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

BDC PC Dictionary

My very presence in this forum proves that, once again, you are on the wrong side of the discussion.  Homers are never wrong.  Says so in the dictionary.

I stand corrected Sir! Btw can u send me a copy?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Having to release a good player to get under the cap means you had a good player on your roster.  You can avoid ever having to release a good player for cap reasons by simply not signing any good players. 

you Sir are a Genius!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

you Sir are a Genius!

I learned everything I know from Bill Belichick . . . 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Sproles and Graham were the basis of the Saints' offense, Graham was constantly taken out of the offense last year. Next year, the Saints offense is not going to be elite.

How do you figure? Sproles played 33% of the snaps, and was losing more time to Ingram and Robinson. How/why do you pay a 4th RB option $3.5M? It's been no secret they have been trying to trade him with no takers. 

Again, we say it over and over. Teams do this every day, and people yell salary cap hell, those teams are no way run as efficiently as BB runs the pats. Yet BB moves on from Woody, and it is prudent cap management. 

Care to wager?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Wait, releasing an aging player because his value isn't as high as his production in his last year of his contract? Crap we must be inslary cap hell because we cut Gregory!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Woah, woah, woah

Now all of a sudden Darren Sproles is a bad player? Yes he just turned 30, but lets take a look at the amazing run this guy has had for the Saints. He has caught an unbelievable 76% of his targets in 3 years 2nd only to Jimmy Graham. He averages 75 receptions a season and another 50 carries. He just had the 2nd longest play of his career last season.

Saying he played only 40% of the snaps is a BS statistic as every other pass catching running back plays less snaps then that. Most play 20% but Sproles was actually the Saints LEAD Back in terms of playing time. He was an integral part of the Saints prolific offense and they do not have his replacement on the roster. 3.5 million??? UM.....

Sproles, Lance Moore, W Smith, R Harper, Jabari Greer, Jonathen Vilma all forced to be cut as the Saints were 15 million over the cap but oh no big deal???

I know each of us feel the need to blindly defend our positions no matter what the cost but can I get a moment of acknowledgment from Patirot fans that the Saints are in a terrible financial situation this year? 

16 86 111 710 8.3 39 7 35 0 0 2012

13 75 104 667 8.9 44 7 29 0 0 2013

15 71 89 604 8.5 48 2 24 0 0

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

So the Giant fan on the Patriot board is asking why we might care about a team we don't root for?

Piling on is good too!

Ringgggg ringggggg. Ticket for 2 I see. I love the smell of carbon paper in the morning.   Eeeeeeeee youuuuuuu eeeeeeeeee you. And off the board cop goes to get another.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

Piling on is good too!

Ringgggg ringggggg. Ticket for 2 I see. I love the smell of carbon paper in the morning.   Eeeeeeeee youuuuuuu eeeeeeeeee you. And off the board cop goes to get another.  

Phillip old boy! U meet Vladmir yet? Give him ur world traveler wisdom? I am sure he had a lot of questions for such a man of experience and intelligence as yourself...you must be so proud! 

Where to next Marco Polo? Tibet to spread ur pearls of wisdom before the Dalai Lama? Or perhaps a private audience with Queen Elizabeth? I am sure they are all putting in requests for such a worldly man as yourself. 

GO PHIL GO!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Care to wager?

Wager about what? 

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

I like how Graham is "disappointed" in the decision yet he is the root cause of all the cuts. 

kinda stupid there Jim

Him and Brees. I can't believe how much money Brees is making.

He is making as much as all the other upper echelon QB's, its simply how each team decides to pay it out against the cap. He is not making any more or any less

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Truechamp, just because some like to call them as they see them doesn't make them any less a Patriot fan as you. In fact if I were someplace out of NE talking sports/football with a bunch of locals at a bar or something, I'd probably sound a whole heck of a lot like you, but around here with knowledgable patriot fans I like to be honest and real.

Just because I don't run around this board acting like I'm the BB police, with the sole purpose to defend every single player he's ever brought in over the last five years, doesn't mean I'm here to "bash" the patriots. I'm a fan and quite frankly I don't like the way the team has gone about player acquisitions over the last five years, but I'm still a fan and have more than a right to criticize.

And for the record I've said over and over again that Belichick is the best coach in the NFL and Brady is the best QB...my favorite player is Chandler Jones and I think Belichick hit it out of the park with drafting Jaime Collins, but you won't catch me praising the acquisitions of the Steven Grwgory's of the world, or the Patrick Chung/Rasi Dowling's. And you won't hear me praising us when we refuse to go a little higher on contract money to better players...and then end up with a guy who can't get it done...who we cut two years later. That you won't hear out of me. Sorry to disappoint you.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Woah, woah, woah

Now all of a sudden Darren Sproles is a bad player? Yes he just turned 30, but lets take a look at the amazing run this guy has had for the Saints. He has caught an unbelievable 76% of his targets in 3 years 2nd only to Jimmy Graham. He averages 75 receptions a season and another 50 carries. He just had the 2nd longest play of his career last season.

Saying he played only 40% of the snaps is a BS statistic as every other pass catching running back plays less snaps then that. Most play 20% but Sproles was actually the Saints LEAD Back in terms of playing time. He was an integral part of the Saints prolific offense and they do not have his replacement on the roster. 3.5 million??? UM.....

Sproles, Lance Moore, W Smith, R Harper, Jabari Greer, Jonathen Vilma all forced to be cut as the Saints were 15 million over the cap but oh no big deal???

I know each of us feel the need to blindly defend our positions no matter what the cost but can I get a moment of acknowledgment from Patirot fans that the Saints are in a terrible financial situation this year? 

16 86 111 710 8.3 39 7 35 0 0 2012

13 75 104 667 8.9 44 7 29 0 0 2013

15 71 89 604 8.5 48 2 24 0 0

Like every team in the NFL, they'll get below the cap.  They have to.  Then we just have to compare their roster to other rosters. Having to cut guys isn't necessarily a disaster if the guys you end up with are still good.  And not having to cut guys isn't necessarily a good thing if the guys you are keeping on your roster aren't that good.  

Every team will be back below the cap on March 11.  Some will have more guys or better guys signed than others.  And some will have more cap room to acquire additional guys than others.  But all that matters is the talent each team has on its 53-man roster when they play the real games this coming fall. How they get there isn't that big a deal. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

rusty already banned again?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

rusty already banned again?

yep...but like a fungus you just can't kill he will be back

Sections
Shortcuts