Saints/Vikes textbook example of how NFL football ruined

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Saints/Vikes textbook example of how NFL football ruined

Not only do we have another tight game at a critical moment turned by a JOKE of a PI called on a pass that was clearly uncatchable, we also have the game decided by the "win the coin flip and win the game" of overtime. PI spot fouls have got to go or at least be subject to review, and the OT format should be a full quarter at least. What say you?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Re: Saints/Vikes textbook example of how NFL football ruined

CCSJ- Although I didn't particularly care about the outcome of the game I'd say you were correct. The overtime issue is so easy to take care of it's a joke and I've been saying it for years. All they have to do is change the rule so that the game can't end until both offenses have touched the ball at least once. Then if a team scores on the first possession the other team has a shot. Simple and fair and it would encourage teams to be a little more aggressive in OT and not just setup a Pu$$!E field goal. That PI call was a complete disgrace. The ball was totally uncatchable. They need to establish new criteria for the refs and different yardage parameters. The spot foul is a joke when dealing with a call that can be made so subjectively.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lightningbrain. Show lightningbrain's posts

I thought it was a major oversite that the NFL network didn't show the coinflip during their postgame highlights.  Clearly, that was one of the biggest plays of the game.  Irvin talked about how the interception by 4 at the end of the 4th quarter effected momentum, but he didn't say anything about the looks on the players' faces when they saw the result of the coin flip.  If you think overtime is perfect, then show the young people highlights of the coinflipping when you're teaching them about football.  If it helps your team win, you might even work in a tear.
    Also, I hate when officials determine the outcome of games, too.  I love it when a team wins in spite of an otherwise game deciding call.  Did they review whether Thomas maintained possession for a first down on that overtime play, and never acknowledge that he was hit helmet to helmet to begin with.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Coin flips.

Pass interference.

Clock management.

The Vikings turned the ball over five times and everybody's favorite gunslinger once again ended his season by doing what he does better than any quarterback in the history of ever.

The Saints may not necessarily have deserved to win, but the Vikings surely deserved to lose.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

Prairie Mike

I agree.  The bogus PI call aside, the Vikes did enough to hand that game over on a silver platter. It looked like every football the Vikings used was covered in bacon grease.  You'd think that after the Saints defenders punched the ball loose for the third time that the Vikes' skill guys would cover up the ball better.  

The Vikes had every shot to win that game but couldn't stop putting the ball on the ground or keep Favre upright.  Just before Favre threw his last interception the whole room where I was watching the game said "here comes an INT", and lo and behold Mr. Favre was right on cue.  He could've scrambled for 5-10 yards and given his team a chance at a FG but NO, Mr. gunslinger had to eff it up again with a breach of football fundamentals -- just don't throw across your body while on the run.  

And OT?  You don't want to lose the game?  Don't let the other guys score.      

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Obviously not many people have been watching the Saints enough this season.

They force turnovers.

What makes the Vikings any different from the other 14 teams they beat?

They rip at the ball when it is in someone's hands. They drive at it when it is in the air. And they attack the QB ruthlessly trying to disrupt any exchange. 

On top of it, they maintain (for 60 minutes) a crazy tempo that can force offenses into making mistakes, by bringing pressure from every possible angle. 

The Saints defense won that game.

And Favre stinks. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I would add, that the penalty in OT was no more damaging than the 15 yarder on 3rd down for hitting Brett Favre out of bounds, when he was in the middle of the field.

That knife cut both ways . . . .thou shalt not touch the QB.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Unless you play for the dolts where its OK to blindside the QB long after the play is over.....

Sections
Shortcuts