salary cap hell, huh?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: salary cap hell, huh?

Karp, so you are talking about the contract he signed 10 years ago? that was for 8 million inless guaranteed money then PM got? Right after Peyton broke the td passing record at 49, and Brady threw what 24 and won his 3rd SB? I think that was about reasonable. I guess he could have squeezed a few million more out of the oakland raiders or something but...

And I must be missing something because Brady;s deal averaged 13 million per...just because the colts and falcons added 4 years to their deals to make 10 year contracts doesn't mean it was for that much nore money then brady's deal

"There are also guarantees, such as injury guarantees in the 2007 and '08 seasons, in the deal. Over the first three years of the contract, a measuring stick that is often used now by many agents and teams to gauge comparative value, the deal averages $13.111 million."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

DId I miss something the past several years or did we not only come tantalizingly close to winning 2 OTHER SBs and SB berths but if not for INJURIES just might have succeeded?

I hear all this talk about how this team or that team spends money or morgaged the future to "win now". But the teams that win it are the teams that are the members of the top 3 of their conference who are in the healthiest shape or at least relatively healthy. We were in a SB with Gronk and Mankins playing but essentially ineffective due to injuries. Had we been as healthy as the Ravens 2 years ago who knows. Had we been as healthy as Seattle this year who knows. I bet we would have made the SB... of course I dont know that... but if you look at the SB winners they are generally more healthy than the teams that did not make it.

So if the RAvens had not been as healthy at the time of the late playoffs all the timely building would have meant nothing. ANd had we been healthy who knows what the Pats would have done...

Plus 1 million

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

Karp, so you are talking about the contract he signed 10 years ago? that was for 8 million inless guaranteed money then PM got? Right after Peyton broke the td passing record at 49, and Brady threw what 24 and won his 3rd SB? I think that was about reasonable. I guess he could have squeezed a few million more out of the oakland raiders or something but...

And I must be missing something because Brady;s deal averaged 13 million per...just because the colts and falcons added 4 years to their deals to make 10 year contracts doesn't mean it was for that much nore money then brady's deal

"There are also guarantees, such as injury guarantees in the 2007 and '08 seasons, in the deal. Over the first three years of the contract, a measuring stick that is often used now by many agents and teams to gauge comparative value, the deal averages $13.111 million."

I am saying over his career Brady has left money on the table, and structured his deals to 100% benefit the team On each and every contract he signed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I am saying over his career Brady has left money on the table, and structured his deals to 100% benefit the team On each and every contract he signed.

They semi-jackd him...I'm sure they hinted they'd try to get weapons for him....they actually only did one time , when they got Welker and Moss...other than that, it's been business as usual

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Eng, I can't start 1 of our 10 post back and forths. I guess I'm heading out in this 10 degree weather. 

I will say that as you see with the steelers, saints, packers, ravens, and giants, it is near impossible to stay competitive in the salary cap era. Look at the ravens projected starter chart on page 2. They have 6 starting positions not yet on the team and are up against it. They misses the playoffs and probably will again this year.

Now let me ask you this and tell me an honest answer...what if Denvers safety didn't choke away the afc championship game in 2012 and the ravens never made it to the SB? We wouldn't hear about how they "went for it" and we would see how they are in trouble for at least 2 seasons and probably longer...like the saints, and the steelers, and the pack, and the gints, etc....

1 man has built a competitive football team for longer then anyone else while winning more games then anyone else and more Super Bowls then anyone else. We are lucky that he happens to run our team...well most of us.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I mean he hasn't gone Drew brees on the Pats or anything but a 60 millions dollar deal, a 72 million dollar deal and now a fully guaranteed 27 million dollar extension on top of that leaves him with 58 mill in guaranteed through to the age of 40. 

he's doing ok and yes it is a benefit that BB drafted a guy who puts winning 1st. Another smart move.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Eng, I can't start 1 of our 10 post back and forths. I guess I'm heading out in this 10 degree weather. 

I will say that as you see with the steelers, saints, packers, ravens, and giants, it is near impossible to stay competitive in the salary cap era. Look at the ravens projected starter chart on page 2. They have 6 starting positions not yet on the team and are up against it. They misses the playoffs and probably will again this year.

Now let me ask you this and tell me an honest answer...what if Denvers safety didn't choke away the afc championship game in 2012 and the ravens never made it to the SB? We wouldn't hear about how they "went for it" and we would see how they are in trouble for at least 2 seasons and probably longer...like the saints, and the steelers, and the pack, and the gints, etc....

1 man has built a competitive football team for longer then anyone else while winning more games then anyone else and more Super Bowls then anyone else. We are lucky that he happens to run our team...well most of us.

Ok so I see you can't answer that question either got it.

Btw if my grandmother was a man she'd be my grandfather but that didn't happen either, in the end Balt won and won the SB and we didn't.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/118418/inside-slant-cap-space-based-on-132m     NFL Salary Cap Space TeamCap Space*

Oakland Raiders $66,387,920

Jacksonville Jaguars $55,128,123

Cleveland Browns $51,227,168

Indianapolis Colts $40,014,750

Miami Dolphins $38,181,273

Green Bay Packers $34,197,930

Minnesota Vikings $30,733,489

Cincinnati Bengals $29,362,957

Washington Redskins $28,684,986

New York Jets $25,744,558

Philadelphia Eagles $25,674,804

Buffalo Bills $24,709,541

Baltimore Ravens $22,179,100

Denver Broncos $18,471,763

Atlanta Falcons $18,448,129

New York Giants $18,288,183

Tampa Bay Buccaneers $17,791,539

Arizona Cardinals $15,295,087

Carolina Panthers $13,929,714

Tennessee Titans $12,006,952

San Francisco 49ers $11,844,974

Detroit Lions $10,010,130

Chicago Bears $9,789,726

New England Patriots $9,591,420

Kansas City Chiefs $8,626,444

Houston Texans $8,003,210

New Orleans Saints $7,172,992

St. Louis Rams $6,317,232

San Diego Chargers $4,863,830

Seattle Seahawks $4,776,224

Pittsburgh Steelers -$6,748,066

Dallas Cowboys -$18,920,690

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Just when you thought it was safe to visit the chat room, the non-sensical "going for it" debate rears its ugly head again. Yet, to this point not one person has been able to point to a single example of a team that went for it and how they went about their business any differently from any other team.  What exactly did the Ravens do in 2012 that they didn't do in 2011 or 2010 or 2013 or any other year? 

Don't bother responding because the fact is they changed not a thing. They had a mediocre aging team and they got incredibly lucky. That's a fact. They operate the same way the Patriots operate.

It's a completely bogus premise because it's a myth. The only example of a team that went for it that exists was the 49ers in the early-90s when they brought in Deion Sanders and some other guys in the very first year of the salary cap. They basically pretended the cap didn't exist, like the credit card bill would never have to be paid.

They won the SB under Seifert and then were truly in cap hell for a while. Didn't contend again until Harbaugh was hired about 15 or so years later. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to portfolio1's comment:

DId I miss something the past several years or did we not only come tantalizingly close to winning 2 OTHER SBs and SB berths but if not for INJURIES just might have succeeded?

I hear all this talk about how this team or that team spends money or morgaged the future to "win now". But the teams that win it are the teams that are the members of the top 3 of their conference who are in the healthiest shape or at least relatively healthy. We were in a SB with Gronk and Mankins playing but essentially ineffective due to injuries. Had we been as healthy as the Ravens 2 years ago who knows. Had we been as healthy as Seattle this year who knows. I bet we would have made the SB... of course I dont know that... but if you look at the SB winners they are generally more healthy than the teams that did not make it.

So if the RAvens had not been as healthy at the time of the late playoffs all the timely building would have meant nothing. ANd had we been healthy who knows what the Pats would have done...

Port we seriously can't use the injury excuse when 7 of our starters are known to get injured every year. Injures happen but there is a reason we seem to get a lot of them and that's because we have a lot of injury prone players, no that's not just bad luck.

As for the playoffs every team that beat us dictated their game to us not the other way around. 07' was a great year but within the last 5 years we've simply been beaten by more talented teams, nothing else.

To the extent that the Oline was beaten, I think u r correct, but most of the teams that beat us were healthier. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Just when you thought it was safe to visit the chat room, the non-sensical "going for it" debate rears its ugly head again. Yet, to this point not one person has been able to point to a single example of a team that went for it and how they went about their business any differently from any other team.  What exactly did the Ravens do in 2012 that they didn't do in 2011 or 2010 or 2013 or any other year? 

Don't bother responding because the fact is they changed not a thing. They had a mediocre aging team and they got incredibly lucky. That's a fact. They operate the same way the Patriots operate.

It's a completely bogus premise because it's a myth. The only example of a team that went for it that exists was the 49ers in the early-90s when they brought in Deion Sanders and some other guys in the very first year of the salary cap. They basically pretended the cap didn't exist, like the credit card bill would never have to be paid.

They won the SB under Seifert and then were truly in cap hell for a while. Didn't contend again until Harbaugh was hired about 15 or so years later. 

Of course, it's a fact Muzz, but don't tell the BBWs who are in here drooling over the inferior Ozzie Newsome as GM.

Good thing Ray Ray announced he was retiring and  Moore fell down at Safety for Denver in the Divisional Round in Denve.

Meanwhile, Brady has severely underwhelmed in the postseason for years.

And Denver decided not to try and win the game in regulation, at home, with allegedly the GOAT QB.

And the GOAT QB threw a godawful across the body on the run INT in OT.

And Flacco in his contract drive, played at a level he had never played at before and certainly didn't play at in 2013.

And the woman beater converted a fluky 4th and 29 against San Diego, or they finish 9-7 and miss the playoffs. 

I guess those are all signs of a team that went for it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I don't know about the terminology but when you have to cut half your starters, miss the playoffs after winning a SB and still have 6 starting roster spots to fill in 2014 then yeah, you had some issues no?

No. Ownership wanted to win a SB. They allowed Ray and Reed to stay 1 year too long, gambled and lost on Flacco, and missed on some draft choices. BUt they won a SB, and have plenty of cap space to restock the roster.

THey missed going to the SB on a missed chip shot FG...they then won a SB....and they missed the playoffs by 1 game...

Yes, they were 1 of 32 teams to "Go For It" and win. I think all ownership wants to win a super bowl...except Cleveland maybe!

And I applaud Baltimore but the fact is they represent the typical NFL Super Bowls winner. It is so difficult to keep a good team together especially when your QB joins the "$ Club" they don't look to be in any better shape going into 2014 either. The Seahawks will feel this soon as the Saints are feeling it now and have been for years. There has really only been 1 guy to maintain a competitive team in the cap era for any significant amount of time. 

That 1 guy who mantained a competitive team for a significant amount of time had the luxury of having a quarterback who played at a high level that entire time...that's a big help. He also had the best coach in football to help, that's huge.  I've watched this team not have close to the most talent on it for years now...yet we still win, why do you think that is? Let me guess...Patrick Chung? Or is it Gregory? No it must be Arrington. No wait, it's Connoly. Wait a sec...it's because of Vollmer playing 5 games a year...yeah that must be it.

Please, so did the Giants, the steelers, the Saints, the Colts, the ravens and the packers. 

And yes Chung, Gregory and Arrington played small roles in it, but Mayo, Spikes, Nink, Highower, VW, Jones, Mccourty, Solder, Mankins, Light, Ridley, Vareen, Slater, Woodhead, Bjge, Gronk, Hern, WW, Edelman, Randy Moss, Stalworth, among many others, all had a lot to do with it too. Great QB's and coaches don't win Super Bowls alone, or didn't you know?

I'm glad you wrote this truechamp, let's discuss. Giants (Eli Mnning), obviously not a elite quarterback (if that's what you're trying to say), but a team built well enough to win two Super Bowls. Now Eli played outstanding those two post seasons, but that team was built to win those Super Bowls. The Saints won a Super Bowl (and have an elite quarterback), but they did have a bit of controversy that killed them for a season. The colts had not one, but two elite quarterbacks and have basically managed to stay at or near the top of the league. Now they did have the season Manning was injured, and they had to go through a couple of seasons with Luck being so young, but you can easily see what a franchise QB does for a team. The steelers won two Super Bowls since we have won anything and have always been in the thick of things over the last ten years...they even almost made it in again last year. Say what you want about their quarterback, but he helps that team.  The ravens and packers both won Super Bowls since we did.

I don't know if you realize this, but every team you listed in your argument all have won at least one Super Bowl since we won our last one 9 years ago...all but the Giants have elite qb's and Eli did play elite on those two Super Bowl runs. So my point was - elite qb's make things easier for your franchise - they cover up for lots of mistakes, and if your team is built well enough you will win a Super Bowl. Something ours is not.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

^LOL @ Mt Hurl. He still has no idea the Giants won 2 SBs vs NE because Brady's preferred and ego-centric style of offense failed.  They knew he wanted to be the hero.

The Giants organization overall can't hold a candle to the Pats' organization.   Cannot hold a candle. 

Our team doesn't go 8-8 or 9-7 and miss the playoffs in back to back years. NY may miss it again this year as they hope to rebuild.

you are right. The giants don't hold a candle, they hold the cake. Actually 2 of them. You sit there pretending no other team comes close to us, yet the gints have best us twice in the SB and we have none in 10 years. Precious. I guess the teams that have won over the last 10 years don't know anything about how to build teams?

to add insult to injury, you once again call out Brady. When does this infatuation end? When he retires and we go 8-8? They you will be crying it was the poor rookies fault we lost, that he tweeted Brady the night before the big game and Brady put the curse on him.

10 years since a SB win is not bradys fault. If your are as smart as you think you are, you should be able to figure that out.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Cap hell doesn't exist.  Even the guy who used to rant about it all day long from his homebuilt perch above us all was afraid to bet against a cap hell team going 11-5!

In cap hell and can still go 11-5.

11-5

Cannot be made up.

Tears.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

^LOL @ Mt Hurl. He still has no idea the Giants won 2 SBs vs NE because Brady's preferred and ego-centric style of offense failed.  They knew he wanted to be the hero.

The Giants organization overall can't hold a candle to the Pats' organization.   Cannot hold a candle. 

Our team doesn't go 8-8 or 9-7 and miss the playoffs in back to back years. NY may miss it again this year as they hope to rebuild.

you are right. The giants don't hold a candle, they hold the cake. Actually 2 of them. You sit there pretending no other team comes close to us, yet the gints have best us twice in the SB and we have none in 10 years. Precious. I guess the teams that have won over the last 10 years don't know anything about how to build teams?

to add insult to injury, you once again call out Brady. When does this infatuation end? When he retires and we go 8-8? They you will be crying it was the poor rookies fault we lost, that he tweeted Brady the night before the big game and Brady put the curse on him.

10 years since a SB win is not bradys fault. If your are as smart as you think you are, you should be able to figure that out.

2008, Cassel 11-5. Nuff said.  You'll never escape from that fact.

I am to the point I dream of Brady being gone.  No lie.  It's too painful to watch him suck every January and act like he's good or great.  I don't care who the next QB is, but I just want this nightmare to end.   They won't get a Steve Young thing going, but something close might be enough for BB to craft a team around that kind of a QB to increase the chances in the postseason.

I cannot stand another January with that guy acting like a pansy and looking disinterested. I can smell a phony from a mile away and I hate to say it, but he's become a phony. Giselle has him cold. She is a phony.  She has no talent. Nothing. She's a loser. She might be hot, but she's a loser.  No one can even name her talents.  Nothing. 

He's probably done at this point. Anything he had as to what made him, he's eliminated at this point. Literally every strong point to his game is gone in the postseason. He looks like John Elway used to when Elway realized the playoffs were for the big boys and not the entitled.  I wish it wasn't the case, but it is. He's had numerous chances to show he's better than Eli Manning or FLacco and he simply refuses to show it.   

It's likely over and I am ok with it because I know Brady wants it to be about him and a legacy here so he's going down with that ship.  I do not trust Brady. It's so simple. I don't know why any Pats would anymore. Almost a decade of horrendous or mediocre QB performances.  Add to that the idea he doesn't answer to anyone, it's a total disaster at this point.

BB is 51-61 as a head coach with QB's not named Brady.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

what. wait. weren't the Ravens one of those teams that are in cap hell?

The Baltimore Ravens reached a five-year deal worth $32 million with tight end Dennis Pitta, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

For you not to understand what salary cap hell is really shows how little you know about football.  Your denial on the situation is dumbfounding.   Your fight with Rusty is getting in the way of common sense.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

It seems this post has turned into a post filled with confusion. 

The issue is salary cap hell, and can the teams in supposed salary cap hell sign free agents.

the issue is not if the GM of said teams is making the correct signings. The issue also is not whether aging, past their prime highly paid vets should be replaced with younger, less expensive players. (Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Michael Oher, we are looking at all of you, and Ray Rice, maybe you too) 

If the Ravens make the playoffs this year, does this all become a moot point? If Flacco does a Brady, and restructures his contract freeing up gobs of cap space, does this become a moot point? 

It seems to me that the Ravens depth chart posted on this thread is a reflection of bad drafting. 

In seems like such an easy concept. With 98% of all contracts in the NFL back loaded into a players aging years, and with no guaranteed base salary in the NFL, moving salary off the roster is an easy exercise (sentiments aside) 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Giselle has him cold. She is a phony.  She has no talent. Nothing. She's a loser. She might be hot, but she's a loser.  No one can even name her talents.  Nothing. 

Here's a clip of her doing the vocals for a commercial.  So, she can sing.  I named one of her talents. 

Furthermore, going after a guy's wife is pitiful.

Lastly, if you think she's a loser, your favorite movie must be Brokeback Mountain.

You're f'ed up.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

I have a very strict policy when blogging,

1. Respect earns respect

2. Try the high ground first

3. If not then it's OK to take the gloves off

But, my biggest, keep it singular to your individual discussions. Someones wife and kid's are totally off limits...no exceptions.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

I have a very strict policy when blogging,

1. Respect earns respect

2. Try the high ground first

3. If not then it's OK to take the gloves off

But, my biggest, keep it singular to your individual discussions. Someones wife and kid's are totally off limits...no exceptions.

Yeah, man.  It's not like she's at the games, doing interviews, making herself part of the football discussion.  Rusty Trombone is really the biggest deeebag online.  It's official.  What a pitiful human being.  Lower than whaleshit.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

2008, Cassel 11-5. Nuff said.  You'll never escape from that fact.

I am to the point I dream of Brady being gone.  No lie.  It's too painful to watch him suck every January and act like he's good or great.  I don't care who the next QB is, but I just want this nightmare to end.   They won't get a Steve Young thing going, but something close might be enough for BB to craft a team around that kind of a QB to increase the chances in the postseason.

I cannot stand another January with that guy acting like a pansy and looking disinterested. I can smell a phony from a mile away and I hate to say it, but he's become a phony. Giselle has him cold. She is a phony.  She has no talent. Nothing. She's a loser. She might be hot, but she's a loser.  No one can even name her talents.  Nothing. 

He's probably done at this point. Anything he had as to what made him, he's eliminated at this point. Literally every strong point to his game is gone in the postseason. He looks like John Elway used to when Elway realized the playoffs were for the big boys and not the entitled.  I wish it wasn't the case, but it is. He's had numerous chances to show he's better than Eli Manning or FLacco and he simply refuses to show it.   

It's likely over and I am ok with it because I know Brady wants it to be about him and a legacy here so he's going down with that ship.  I do not trust Brady. It's so simple. I don't know why any Pats would anymore. Almost a decade of horrendous or mediocre QB performances.  Add to that the idea he doesn't answer to anyone, it's a total disaster at this point.

I know how you feel. I feel the same way about our defense at times.

Sections
Shortcuts