Salem witches cast their spell to help Brady get rid of jinx- this one's for Gravelten

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Salem witches cast their spell to help Brady get rid of jinx- this one's for Gravelten

like.

http://offthebench.nbcsports.com/2012/01/13/salem-witches-for-brady-plan-to-counteract-tim-tebow-on-saturday/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Re: Salem witches cast their spell to help Brady get rid of jinx- this one's for Gravelten

The funny thing about the Salem witches, and for that matter the wickens who pay homage, is that the Salem witches were not actually witches, and probably knew nothing of witch craft, they were most likely just Christians surrounded by paranoid people.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Re: Salem witches cast their spell to help Brady get rid of jinx- this one's for Gravelten

In Response to Re: Salem witches cast their spell to help Brady get rid of jinx- this one's for Gravelten:
    [QUOTE]The funny thing about the Salem witches, and for that matter the wickens who pay homage, is that the Salem witches were not actually witches, and probably knew nothing of witch craft, they were most likely just Christians surrounded by paranoid people.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

True. Paranoid people are the cause of an awful lot of bad voodoo.
    Ironically, witchcraft is alive and well in Salem now. And for the most part they work for the good, as evidenced in the spell they cast for Brady!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

I studied the trials for most of one college history course at UF.  Very interesting. 

It all boiled down to a case of the have-nots persecuting the haves, led by a tyrannical, fanatical, power-hungry young new Puritan minister.  It was his kids that made the first false claims.  Those accusing were poor highlanders, farming on poor soil, living closer to the enemy Indian territories and with poor water sources.  Those accused successfully farmed the rich river valley lands or were successful town business owners or sea merchants, who were more educated and less superstitious, and certainly at less risk to Indian attacks.

Those accusers were obsessed with witchcraft.  They were always on guard, as the  Puritan churches were constantly pounding the warnings against the Devil and witches, teaching them how to spot clues of witches, explaining rituals so as to be informed of the "Devil's work", etc.  That minister was constantly stocking the Fear Fire.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

BTW, Rhode Island has long been a hotbed for witchcraft and occultists, as it was the first place on Earth with full, religious tolerance and freedom.  All of the witches and occultists flocked from other colonies to seek refuge in R.I.  

Even today, there are active occultists operating in R.I.  About 20 years ago a traveling guy staying at the Congress Inn disappeared in West Greenwhich and it was suspected he was killed by occultists operating there.  

At that time, a  mountainbiking friend of mine found a fresh occultist alter in the woods near there, replete with pentagrams, an unearthed vintage coffin with a skeleton, animal sacrifice remnants and so forth.  Freaked him out, as he was alone, and was aware of that guy missing and the rumors of what happened to him.

Also around the same time, police busted an occultist ring in East Greenwhich that was sacrificing animals.

Lots of stories like this from R.I. over the years.  Very creepy that people get into that stuff and take it seriously.  Not to associate them with those current Salem witches, though, which are a different kind of witches, so to speak.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Did not know RI occulist history. Downright disturbing. Sounds more like satanism
    which is evil. I think that really attracts the mentally and criminally insane.
    The Salem witchhunts were very cruel and sadistic. Your readers digest history lesson was a great refresher. More about the haves and haves nots, bias, and fear. (though that minister was one deranged dude)

Witchcraft in Salem now is harmless and a huge tourist attraction. (as you probably know)
    I don't think the Pats will need any supernatural assistance. They have all the motivation they need and now its all about how they execute on the field.

Hype has been amazing for this game. Go Pats!

In Response to Re: Salem witches cast their spell to help Brady get rid of jinx- this one's for Gravelten:
    [QUOTE]BTW, Rhode Island has long been a hotbed for witchcraft and occultists, as it was the first place on Earth with full, religious tolerance and freedom.  All of the witches and occultists flocked from other colonies to seek refuge in R.I.   Even today, there are active occultists operating in R.I.  About 20 years ago a traveling guy staying at the Congress Inn disappeared in West Greenwhich and it was suspected he was killed by occultists operating there.   At that time, a  mountainbiking friend of mine found a fresh occultist alter in the woods near there, replete with pentagrams, an unearthed vintage coffin with a skeleton, animal sacrifice remnants and so forth.  Freaked him out, as he was alone, and was aware of that guy missing and the rumors of what happened to him. Also around the same time, police busted an occultist ring in East Greenwhich that was sacrificing animals. Lots of stories like this from R.I. over the years.  Very creepy that people get into that stuff and take it seriously.  Not to associate them with those current Salem witches, though, which are a different kind of witches, so to speak.  
    Posted by chrisakawoody[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from timesedge. Show timesedge's posts

It was well documented that the Salem witch trails were against people who were a threat to the priest that had accumulated power there. Of all of the people convicted only one admitted to actually being a witch - and ironically she was the one of the few not to have been killed (probably because they truly feared her "power").

It is absolutely true though that the current witches in Salem are mostly either extreme eccentrics or people who prey on the tourists, charging top dollar for crap.

Occultism is usually misunderstood by the Christians who've had any contact with it. Sacrificing of animals is very common and not really indicative of any form of Satanism. Romans and greeks did it, indians and aborigines, etc... none of them were especially evil peoples. Even early Christians did it - (ever read about Abraham getting ready to sacrifice his son to God?)

That being said - after the last few years I'll be happy for anyone ending the "playoff curse" :) Priests, popes, witches, whoever - even get Babe Ruth's great grandkid out here like the Sox did. We need to win!

Sections
Shortcuts