Sam Huff rips the NFL

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

Sam Huff rips the NFL

Sam Huff rips NFL for limiting helmet-to-helmet hits
    Posted by Michael David Smith on December 21, 2010, 9:03 PM EST
    jamesharrison

As an All-Pro linebacker for the Redskins and Giants in the 1950s and 1960s, Sam Huff was one of football’s hardest hitters. And he’s not happy with the way the league office is cracking down on the hardest hitters of today.

Huff told the Charleston Daily Mail that fines for helmet-to-helmet hits are handed down from league executives who don’t understand the game.

“‘Look, he’s getting hit! They shouldn’t do that!’” Huff said. “That’s what they sit there in the offices up in New York City and say. What the hell? They’re up there sitting looking at replays. They’ve not practiced, not touched a football, not been on the field, not worn a helmet.”

Huff, who works as a radio commentator on Redskins games, said he thinks the league is out of touch with what players want.

“I know what it’s like to be a player,” Huff said. “Today’s players know what it’s like to be a player. The people making these rules don’t know what the game is really like. They aren’t out there.”

Huff believes that helmet-to-helmet contact is an integral part of football.

“It is tackle football,” Huff said. “It’s the NFL. It’s not a game of touch football. It’s blocking and tackling. Helmet-to-helmet? It’s why you wear helmets.”

And Huff singled out NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell for criticism.

“It’s all been built up over a period of time, and if the people who run the game — Roger Goodell, those people — aren’t careful they’re going to tear it down in short order,” Huff said. “And that’s sad.”

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Re: Sam Huff rips the NFL

If I remember right MNF had a spot called JACKED UP. It was just two maybe three ago. This thing is going down fast is right on. I just don't see how plays like McCourty's are not going to end up helmet to helmet. Pryor's hit on Favre comes to mind also. I think players have always been concerned when someone got hurt. I can understand having a very strong stance on head hunting too, But no one seems to care what Suggs says about Brady's knees. But plays are plays.

On another note : With the play-offs coming up.                                              How long before the new play-off overtime rule experiment decides a winner? Was something broke and why are they fixing it?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Overtime was broken. Since the NFL moved the spot for the kickoff up ten yards, and made a handful of rule that benefit the offense, the team that won the coin toss was winning about 65% of the time. Prior to that, it was almost 50/50.

I think they will wait for a while to see the sample, but its obvious that you are looking for something 50/50 again. Or in that range really.

As far as H-2-H.

Yeah. Too far. Most H-2-H hits are merely tackles with some incidental contact. The situation where someone is legitimately head hunting are extremely rare. They are making the NFL softer. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

It's just that they go from celebrating big hits to fining for them. I don't want to see my favorite players not walk again either, But they need to hold up on punishing players that had no intent on hurting some one. They have taken a contact sport and starting fining for contact. Every player on D is not out to end someones career. SOME players say they are. SOME play like they are. Take Suggs for example on what I meant about headhunting. It seems he wants to take Brady out of a game. Because Why? He don't think his team can win with Brady in the game? That I don't go for. If it were any Pats player playing to injure any other teams player. I still don't support it. BB has taken plenty of players out of games that they played all the way through.

On the OT change: I'll take it either way. It's just another change, But use the whole year. Vote it up or down and go with it. I can't disagree it was lopsided for the coin toss winner. Now when we look back at this year though.  OT adjustments will have to be figured into just the post season. I'll admit I don't know the reason for moving the kickoff spot up 10 yards. Should they look back at that change now without wedge in play anymore? OT I have looked at like running up a score (which I don't think is possible in PRO Sports) or ending any other drive. If you don't want the other guy to score .Stop it.

Again: They should look at things from all sides. Make the best decisions they can. Then try to not change the very thing we all love the sport for. Big hits, Big plays, competition of players, and schemes. I know it's a unreal thing to ask someone to do their job and be accountable these days. The people in charge should be there for a reason though. I could make a change,look at what happened, and then take a poll from my computer at home in my PJ's. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

I am of a belief that these rules go hand in hand with the NFLPA wanting greater benefits for its qualified retired players. 

There have been stories in the past about former players with dementia related issues, and I believe the NFL is worried that if they give in to the NFLPA demands then they feel they have to do something to minimize concussions. 

If part of the retirement benefits include long-term care benefits, then I believe it even more.  Alzheimer's can affect an otherwise healthy individual who may need long-term care benefits for many years.  Those costs add up significantly and are unrelated to healthcare costs. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

I know what your saying UD. Is money the end all on this subject? I don't won't to see our stars in wheelchairs myself. Lots of professions have health risk and most of them don't pay anywhere near what the players make. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

I think it is.  And its not productive money.  Obviously, I am speculating because I really don't know, but I do know that the NFLPA and retired players are lobbying for more comprehensive retiree benefits and I believe that's got to include some long term care benefits (which are expensive) so that players who end up with dementia related illnesses don't have to exhaust their savings on long-term care services in a nursing home which at a minimum are probably 50k per year. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Huff has a point . . .   to a point.

But the athletes are just so much bigger and faster now, across the board, than they were even 10 years ago that these guys who talk about the "glory days" -- while well intentioned -- don't really know what they're talking about. I've got all the respect in the world for old-school players, but it's really not the same game anymore.

Now, does that mean that hitting has to be legislated out of the game?

Cetainly not. There has been an over-reaction, as we so often see, toward "player safety" that is hollowing out the violence that fans pay to see. Remember "in the grasp?" How did that work out? I think, eventually, the league will find a happy medium that clearly defines acceptable and unacceptable technique, and that officials themselves clearly understand, but it is likely to take some time.

The biggest problem I see is that to truly address the problem, officials are going to have to be asked to determine intent. I don't think fining every player whose helmet accidentally brushes another guy's helmet is going to accomplish anything. The league needs to clearly define tactics like spearing and "launching," and then hit egregrious and repeat offenders with suspensions as well as fines. Start punishing the teams for the actions of the players -- start costing them wins and playoff appearances -- and eventually coaching will take care of this problem. The commissioner's office brayed loudly about this earlier in the season, but that turned out to be a lot of empty rhetoric (surprise, surprise), as a certain # 92 in Bitchburgh can happily attest.

I realize that's easy to say, and that I'm asking for sound judgment from a group of officials who don't seem to understand the rules as they're written now . . .  but you've got to start somewhere . . .  and making it illegal to tackle receivers -- the way it's already illegal to tackle quarterbacks -- is taking the league in a direction it doesn't realize it doesn't want to go.

Also unfortunate for those who wish to see defense entirely eradicated from the game, is the next generation of players,who have already been raised up on the idea that hitting hard is a good thing, and there's no way you're going to train that out of them overnight.

Of course, the league could go the other way, and simply require players to sign disclaimers (if they don't already) that absolve the NFLfrom any responsibility for player saftey at all.

Remember your Rollerball . . .   there is no true champion until only one man is left.

I'll bet the union shysters would have a field day with that proposal.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

As far as overtime goes, whether you believe it was broken (it was) or that this convoluted playoff "fix" addresses the actual problem (it doesn't), it seems pretty bizarre to me to ask coaches to play by one set of rules in December and then arbitrarily hand them an entirely different set of rules in January.

Television will never let it happen, because it cares more about getting you to the late game on time than it does about fair competition, but the simplest solution is to play another period, or at the very least, some predetermined amount of time that refelcts the way the game is actually played, instead of turning overtime into a prolonged two-minute drill.

I've always been in favor of bringing back the tie during the season. They've got the two-point conversion in place for coaches who want to play to win, and the tie would do wonderfully convoluted things to the standings late in the year. Then, when you absolutely must have a winner in the playoffs, just go an extra 15 minutes . . .  and don't hand me the fatigue and potential injury excuse from a league that is lobbying hard for an 18-game regular season.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

he's probably right, but the truth is i'm getting tired of seeing guys get rocked in the head when they don't need to be. especially the other night when the ravens knocked heath millers head off.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from whitetrashgang. Show whitetrashgang's posts

In Response to Re: Sam Huff rips the NFL:
    [QUOTE]As far as overtime goes, whether you believe it was broken (it was) or that this convoluted playoff "fix" addresses the actual problem (it doesn't), it seems pretty bizarre to me to ask coaches to play by one set of rules in December and then arbitrarily hand them an entirely different set of rules in January. Television will never let it happen, because it cares more about getting you to the late game on time than it does about fair competition, but the simplest solution is to play another period, or at the very least, some predetermined amount of time that refelcts the way the game is actually played, instead of turning overtime into a prolonged two-minute drill. I've always been in favor of bringing back the tie during the season. They've got the two-point conversion in place for coaches who want to play to win, and the tie would do wonderfully convoluted things to the standings late in the year. Then, when you absolutely must have a winner in the playoffs, just go an extra 15 minutes . . .  and don't hand me the fatigue and potential injury excuse from a league that is lobbying hard for an 18-game regular season.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE] Your right.Having a tie game in reg season just makes sense

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

They shouldn't have overtime. I mean its bad enough we keep score. think of all those hurt feelings when somebody loses.As far as running up the score, they need to institute a mercy rule. If one team goes up by over 14 points then they have to put the practice squad in. I think that everyone should get a trophy. Participation trophy's really mean something. There's even teams that hang banners and stuff like that. You know good feelings all around.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

You can't legislate aggression out of the game. All the NFL is doing is showing us the arbitrary nature of its reactionary behaviour. What people always neglect to mention is that these hits occur in a miniscule amount of time. When you see anything in slow motion everything gets percieved as premeditated. The defensive player is supposed to hit the opposing player. When you see a player (Mike Webster) whose brain is swiss cheese it is because of repeated blows to the head not because of a single hit. Alot has changed since the 50s when no one had access to CT Scanner or MRI machine. Doctors are able to now tell us what kind of damage occurs as result of intense hitting. The speed and intensity of the game has increased dramatically enough to say players that are currently LBs would be the size of linemen 40 years ago. Everybody is quicker and stronger. You increase the player safety by testing similar to what Rodgers had before he was ruled out for Sunday's game. The ol how many fingers and "Can you play or are you hurt " mantra is largely gone depending on the severity of the injury sustained. What NFL really doesn't want is fans seeing former players, they respected and admired in wheelchairs or suffering from Alzheimer's before their 45th birthday. Where they lost traction was asserting that a single blow is somehow the only source. A single blow can cause a concussion, but repeated concussions are far worse. At some point a player has to make an Aikman-type decision whether he take it or whether he can't and thankfully there are steps to help make that decision.  And yeah, spears to the spinal are worse.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

Right now the way the NFL is handling things, the defense has been put in a bad position. Defensive players are starting to play more tentative. Refs are calling all sorts of bazzar penalties. It is starting to ruin the game! My bet is that there will be a new league eventually. Fans are sick of the Refs! Now every player looks to the Refs after each play and motions for a flag!
    Take the fine on Pryor for the clean hit on Brett Farve. I'm sorry but that was clean. How is the guy supposed to play defensive football. I guess you have to arm tackle the QB now. You get any shoulder pad on the guy its automatic roughing the passer.  This has gone from being a sport to the entertainment business. Funny how money has a way of scewing everything up. The very integrety of the game is now at stake!

I watched the Saints - Ravens game and late in the 4th Qtr there is this play where Dru Brees has his pass defected and intercepted, Brees makes a move to try and bat the ball down and when he cannot... he starts to make a move towards tackling the Dlineman who has the ball and all of the sudden the Ref steps in front of Brees with his arms out like he's trying to protect Brees from any contact. Sort of like a ring Referee who attempts to stop the fight by stepping infront of the boxer who is getting hit repeadedly.

Then there is the pay day play that Peyton Manning has made a living on. Throw that ball for a 45 yard incompletion and then wait for the flag. Pass interfernce! That's his biggest play! what a joke!

At the end of the day, I think there's a place for player safety but not like this!
    Football is a physical game! If player launch themselves then throw a flag but if a safety is there and waiting for the WR he should be able to pop him. Ala Ronnie Lott! Think about it, Lawrence Taylor would not be allowed to play the game now.
    He'd be considered too rough for the sport!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

No one may like the way the NFL is doling out punishment for hits.  If this does have something to do with current and future retiree benefits, then its my belief that the NFL doesn't like the way its doling out punishment.  But its also my belief that they see no other recourse. 

Retiree benefits buried GM.  and while the NFL can sidestep some of those mistakes, if they have to provide some kind of long term care coverage for retirees in the case of dementia, I believe they may see no other current recourse. 

some have said they are ruining the game, and that may be, but money talks louder than fan complaints.  Currently, the common fan is virtually priced out of attending games.  I don't know if bigger contracts can be expected from the networks.  If that becomes the case then the only source for increseased revenue is cable and pay-per-view.  I think this may be a far sighted effort to limit potentially significant future expenses. 

Sections
Shortcuts