San Diego is the Team to Beat in AFC

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

San Diego is the Team to Beat in AFC

I watched that game yesterday on Sunday ticket. San Diego is the real deal. They can't run for squat, but Phillip Rivers, right now, is better than Brady. As much as I HATE San Diego and Rivers. Considering that a San Diego win over Indy is automatic, I would bet that it will be the Drew Brees bowl in Miami come February.

And to all the homers, there is no way the Pats are pulling a 2006 on the Chargers this year. We can't even score more than a field goal in the second half in Buffalo.

Of course, the Chargers have no easy thing going on the road on a short week for a Christmas game against the Titans.

But I think the worst case scenario is playing out for the Colts. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

Re: San Diego is the Team to Beat in AFC

San Diego is the team to beat in the NFL. Cincy played very good yesterday and still lost. San Diego didn't play their best game, faced a very tough & inspired opponent, and won. A good sign of things to come.

INDY-has proven that SD is very good the past two post seasons and this Charger team is deeper than those two. That and the Colts D looks suspect (see 31 @JAX), not a good thing when facing a proven offensive powerhouse.

Saints- lost to Dallas, the team that SD just beat the previous week.

Vikes-lost 2 of last 3.

Pats-must respect, however this team does not strike fear in opponents as they have in the past. Effort is there, overall talent is not. Questionable coaching decisions as well.

Iggles- SD proved this already at the Q, going up on the birds 28-9 and finishing 31-23 in prevent D.

I foresee NE at home vs. DEN OR BAL in round 1. The winner travels to SD [#2 seed] and loses.
    BTW- I would love to see PIT squeak in at the 6 seed. I dont think DENVER will make the playoffs.

1 INDY
    2 SD
    3 CIN
    4 NE
    5 BALT
    6 PIT/DEN/JAX/TEN who cares? either of these 4 will lose the 1st game. PIT being the most likely to pull an upset IMO 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Physics. Show Physics's posts

In Response to San Diego is the Team to Beat in AFC:
    I watched that game yesterday on Sunday ticket. San Diego is the real deal. They can't run for squat, but Phillip Rivers, right now, is better than Brady. As much as I HATE San Diego and Rivers. Considering that a San Diego win over Indy is automatic, I would bet that it will be the Drew Brees bowl in Miami come February. And to all the homers, there is no way the Pats are pulling a 2006 on the Chargers this year. We can't even score more than a field goal in the second half in Buffalo. Of course, the Chargers have no easy thing going on the road on a short week for a Christmas game against the Titans. But I think the worst case scenario is playing out for the Colts. 
    Posted by Caesar1177

Only question I have with them is if they are peaking a bit too early? I had them pegged for my NFL-conspiracy Super Bowl a month or so back so Brees could play against his old team, heh... But seriously, I think they do a lot well... I don't think they are 'dominant' by any means, e.g., they've generally beat the teams they should beat; As with anyone else in the AFC, I think the key for them is that first round bye to avoid a team like the Ravens or Steelers that not only will play them tough, but also beat them up a bit... They seem to split with the potential playoff teams they will meet up with; Next week will be interesting for them because Tennessee has a lot to play for as well and is playing much better as of late... This should be a reasonable test for them. I think if the Chargers win by 10 or more, that's a bad sign for anyone else... I do agree that they are a team that matches up well with anyone because they can score on just about anyone, have big WRs, etc...  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I watched that game yesterday on Sunday ticket. San Diego is the real deal. They can't run for squat, but Phillip Rivers, right now, is better than Brady. As much as I HATE San Diego and Rivers. Considering that a San Diego win over Indy is automatic, I would bet that it will be the Drew Brees bowl in Miami come February. And to all the homers, there is no way the Pats are pulling a 2006 on the Chargers this year. We can't even score more than a field goal in the second half in Buffalo. Of course, the Chargers have no easy thing going on the road on a short week for a Christmas game against the Titans. But I think the worst case scenario is playing out for the Colts. 
    Posted by Caesar1177

While I hate to admit that anyone besides the Patriots is actually good I would have to concur with your assessment. We can't beat them right now, I know that. I'm already looking forward to the draft. The Colts will be able to score points against the Chargers but their defense is so full of holes right now that San Diego will just outscore them. The only thing I will say about Indy is that they can already start resting their injured like Freeney and Mathis so they should be a little better on defense come the playoffs. There is also the Norv Turner factor that needs to figured in. That being said once the Pats are done I'll be routing for SanDiego to take the Colts down.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: San Diego is the Team to Beat in AFC:
    San Diego is the team to beat in the NFL . Cincy played very good yesterday and still lost. San Diego didn't play their best game, faced a very tough & inspired opponent, and won. A good sign of things to come. INDY-has proven that SD is very good the past two post seasons and this Charger team is deeper than those two. That and the Colts D looks suspect (see 31 @JAX), not a good thing when facing a proven offensive powerhouse. Saints- lost to Dallas, the team that SD just beat the previous week. Vikes-lost 2 of last 3. Pats-must respect, however this team does not strike fear in opponents as they have in the past. Effort is there, overall talent is not. Questionable coaching decisions as well. Iggles- SD proved this already at the Q, going up on the birds 28-9 and finishing 31-23 in prevent D. I foresee NE at home vs. DEN OR BAL in round 1. The winner travels to SD [#2 seed] and loses. BTW- I would love to see PIT squeak in at the 6 seed. I dont think DENVER will make the playoffs. 1 INDY 2 SD 3 CIN 4 NE 5 BALT 6 PIT/DEN/JAX/TEN who cares? either of these 4 will lose the 1st game. PIT being the most likely to pull an upset IMO 
    Posted by jbolted

Are you SURE you want Pittsburgh in the playoffs?

There are a lot of commentators and reporters who think that Pittsburgh has the most complete roster in the league if they can just get their act together and get into the Big Dance.

Plus Polamalu would be back by then.

Be careful what you wish for - Pittsburgh might have the ability to upend Indy in their building and bring the AFC Championship to San Diego for you, but they're also more than capable of beating the Chargers when they're fully staffed, as they showed earlier this year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fuzzy1. Show fuzzy1's posts

Posted by Caesar1177

Agreed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

Strictly a fan basis. I want to see 2 home playoff games in route to a Lombardi.
    I believe PIT can beat INDY if afforded the opportunity.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

jbolted... you certainly do have a right to feel mighty good about your Chargers.  9 game winning streak with some victories over decent teams in that streak.  You gotta wonder about that Bengals game, though, could have gone either way.

As for Caesar's comment:  "... there is no way the Pats are pulling a 2006 on the Chargers this year!"  You never know because the same was said about the Pats in the '01 SB versus the Rams.  I recall in 2007, the Giants weren't on anyone's radar going into the playoffs and we all know what happened.  So, even though the odds are in the Chargers favor, you never know because it is the players who play the game and not fan's opinions!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I would like to see SD and Indy matchup in the playoffs and have the Pats take the winner.  SD showed they can beat Indy the last couple of years even when the refs give Indy a bunch of freebies. 

The Pats haven't been able to overcome those types of calls but they typically do pretty well against SD.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I'm sorry, but you guys really think NORV TURNER can beat Belichick in the playoffs? Give me a break. The Pats beat SD with Reche Caldwell as the #1 WR, so I have no doubt they can and will light up SD in SD in the divisional playoff round. 'Fans' are getting skittish because the Pats aren't blowing people out, but, if you look around, NO ONE is! Every team has it's blemishes, and I'll gladly take Brady, Moss, and an improving D over Norv Turner and an aging LT any day of the week. 

Jbolted: Buy your tickets now for Miami. See how much you can get for them when your team is bounced from the playoffs. Honestly, I can't believe your arrogant enough say 'duh I want two home games'. If you haven't noticed, the NFL is a crapshoot! Anyone can win, including the team here in NE. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

And how is a Boston.com board becoming a San Diego ball washing party? I would think the NE fans would have some faith and some pride, but maybe I'm wrong. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I would like to see SD and Indy matchup in the playoffs and have the Pats take the winner.  SD showed they can beat Indy the last couple of years even when the refs give Indy a bunch of freebies.  You can be sure any game in Indy will have the 12th man with black and white stripes to contend with. 

The Pats haven't been able to overcome those types of calls but they typically do pretty well against SD.
    Posted by shenanigan

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

San Diego is the team to beat in the NFL . Cincy played very good yesterday and still lost. San Diego didn't play their best game, faced a very tough & inspired opponent, and won. A good sign of things to come. INDY-has proven that SD is very good the past two post seasons and this Charger team is deeper than those two. That and the Colts D looks suspect (see 31 @JAX), not a good thing when facing a proven offensive powerhouse. Saints- lost to Dallas, the team that SD just beat the previous week. Vikes-lost 2 of last 3. Pats-must respect, however this team does not strike fear in opponents as they have in the past. Effort is there, overall talent is not. Questionable coaching decisions as well. Iggles- SD proved this already at the Q, going up on the birds 28-9 and finishing 31-23 in prevent D. I foresee NE at home vs. DEN OR BAL in round 1. The winner travels to SD [#2 seed] and loses. BTW- I would love to see PIT squeak in at the 6 seed. I dont think DENVER will make the playoffs. 1 INDY 2 SD 3 CIN 4 NE 5 BALT 6 PIT/DEN/JAX/TEN who cares? either of these 4 will lose the 1st game. PIT being the most likely to pull an upset IMO 
    Posted by jbolted

Jbolt,

I think I am going to have to go with the "not so fast" response. 

Yes, I know 2 years ago the bolts beat the colts in Indy.  And yes, I know the bolts beat the colts last year in OT in SD.  But there are some things in those games that I just don't expect to happen this year if the 2 teams happen to meet in Indy.  Besides, that was then and this is now.  I would never suggest that the chargers might not win out, but I think the colts are prepared to go toe to toe with anyone in the NFL.  I would never predict a victory for the colts but I like their chances. 

As for the colts d looking suspect, I would agree given that the colts will finish the season without 4 of 11 starters on D.  But interestingly, the colts D has played really pretty well this year.  If the colts and bolts meet, I certainly would hope that they, like you, would focus on the Jax game for their game prep.  Why, because it would be the wrong game to look at.  The colts played their starting d-ends and some of the secondary thinly in pursuit of better health.  They played a team scratching for a playoff spot on the road and still won.  The colts got a superb game from Manning with the only int being a catchable ball off the hands of Dallas Clark.  They handled effectively the punch of pocket hercules MJD who was essentially shut down in the second half. 

Unlike in previous years, this last game would have been a huge letdown for the colts as they rested their starters, but this year they gave some rest and still fought to an effective victory. 

Not so fast, my friend.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

I would like to see SD and Indy matchup in the playoffs and have the Pats take the winner.  SD showed they can beat Indy the last couple of years even when the refs give Indy a bunch of freebies.  The Pats haven't been able to overcome those types of calls but they typically do pretty well against SD.
    Posted by shenanigan

Dont think it will happen.  SD will get the second seed which means the only way indy and SD meet is in the AFCCG. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

San Dago looks tough, but until somebody beats them, the Colts (and Johnny Zebra) are the team to beat in the AFC. The NFL is all about match-ups and preparation. What team A didn't against teams B and C tells us nothing about what might happen when it meets team D, although I do think the confidence factor might be more beneficial to the Bolts than almost any other team in the league when it comes to facing Indy. Of course, this matchup isn't even going to take place. The Pats will be the fourth seed and take the Colts out in the second round.

This is the wisdom as I see it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In Response to Re: San Diego is the Team to Beat in AFC : Dont think it will happen.  SD will get the second seed which means the only way indy and SD meet is in the AFCCG. 
    Posted by underdoggg

Who do you think would give the Colts the most trouble, SD or NE? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

And how is a Boston.com board becoming a San Diego ball washing party? I would think the NE fans would have some faith and some pride, but maybe I'm wrong. 
    Posted by Rockdog1293000

Just reality man. Yeah, the Pats have a shot once they get in, no doubt. But having watched this game for a while, you can sort of tell when a team has "the look." Right now, San Diego has that look. Good QB. Good, tough WR's. Good defense. Good kicking game. Sure, the coaching is not the greatest in the world but - Tom Coughlin? Mike Tomlin?

San Diego also will not have to play a cold weather game in the playoffs. That is huge.

And make no mistake about it - I HATE THE CHARGERS. I just think that they remind me a bit of the 2003 Pats - no running game, good passing game, good defense. Coming together at the right time.

Or should I through objectivity out the window and tow this line:

The Pats have everyone where they want them. BB has kept it close to the vest this year so he can through out a wicked cool gameplan in the playoffs and this team will come together at the right time just like the flukey Cardinals and Giants. Who cares if they had really good defenses. We have Brady who, despite having a mediocre year (stats are for losers, remember?) will find that magic touch and win four straight, despite not being able to score in the fourth quarter or hold a lead.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

In Response to Re: San Diego is the Team to Beat in AFC : Who do you think would give the Colts the most trouble, SD or NE? 
    Posted by shenanigan

I think they are both equally as tough.  Someone mentioned confidence as a factor.  Well, I think the colts have confidence where the pats are concerned and I don't know that they will not have confidence where the chargers are concerned.  The chargers had some special play in their win over the colts that I don't really expect (although it could happen) again. 

Really tough to say.  The colts, I believe can exploit both of these teams' defenses and I think both of these teams can exploit the colts defense. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Mike - I don't think the colts lack confidence against the chargers.  They did beat sd in sd last year in the reg season.  In the playoffs, Scifres had a game for the ages from a punting perspective, and I just don't expect that to happen again.  Sure he will be good, but pinning the team inside the 10 on 4 or 5 different occassions, I do not expect. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

In Response to Re: San Diego is the Team to Beat in AFC : Jbolt, I think I am going to have to go with the "not so fast" response. 

I do not see the Colts schedule as tough as the Chargers [NFC EAST -3-0, AFC North 2-2]. I think the AFC south is soft, has been for years.

Yes, I know 2 years ago the bolts beat the colts in Indy.  And yes, I know the bolts beat the colts last year in OT in SD. 

STOP RIGHT THERE, the basis for my confidence and not arrogance.

But there are some things in those games that I just don't expect to happen this year if the 2 teams happen to meet in Indy. 

Like what, waltzing into the playoffs while not being recently battle tested. Your last tough game was week 11 @BAL. That's a long time to truly be battle tested before the playoffs begin.

Besides, that was then and this is now.  I would never suggest that the chargers might not win out, nor would I

but I think the colts are prepared to go toe to toe with anyone in the NFL.  I would never predict a victory for the colts but I like their chances.  As for the colts d looking suspect,

suspect because - they have given up over 250 passing yards in their last 7 games ( except for the titans 233 & JAX 206). And the AFC playoff teams can pass the ball. Yardage allowed last 7 games-382,477,354,396,375,357,& 345. Thats not exactly shut down IMO

I would agree given that the colts will finish the season without 4 of 11 starters on D. 

Precursor for the annual excuse when playing SD?

But interestingly, the colts D has played really pretty well this year.  If the colts and bolts meet, I certainly would hope that they, like you, would focus on the Jax game for their game prep.  Why, because it would be the wrong game to look at.  The colts played their starting d-ends and some of the secondary thinly in pursuit of better health.  They played a team scratching for a playoff spot on the road and still won.  The colts got a superb game from Manning with the only int being a catchable ball off the hands of Dallas Clark.  They handled effectively the punch of pocket hercules MJD who was essentially shut down in the second half.  Unlike in previous years, this last game would have been a huge letdown for the colts as they rested their starters, but this year they gave some rest and still fought to an effective victory. 

I saw the game and JAX moved the ball rather easily IMO

Not so fast, my friend.

Your Colts are good, just not the best IMO
    Posted by underdoggg

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from chaucer. Show chaucer's posts

NE is no match for SD this year.  Vincent Jackson is one of the top five receivers in the NFL right now.  SD should go to the super bowl but will they?  Their defensive secondary is highly overrated and Tomlinson sometimes disappears in the playoffs.  The Colts are good but nowhere near as good as their record.  Worst undefeated team I've ever seen.  SD has had the best talent for the past several years but they are like Dallas, better on paper than on the field.  If the Steelers make it to the playoffs I think they are the best bet to upend the Chargers.  I wish I could like the Chargers but they are the team with the biggest mouths the west side of Miami, and I love to see people stuff Rivers' mouth and show Merriman for the punk, girlfriend beater that he is.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

In Response to Re: San Diego is the Team to Beat in AFC : One major caviat is that the Norvsters have not cleared that last hurdle to get to the Big Game and haven't proven they can get it done when it counts most. Until they win a conference championship all bets are suspect.
    Posted by JintsFan

I concur and we shall see.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

I gotta disagree.  Until someone beats Indianapolis they are the team to beat.  How the he11 could you say the team to beat is 11-3 when there is a team that is 14-0?  And jbolted, it really doesn't matter at all if you beat Indy the past 2 postseasons.  Its a new season, who gives a cr@p about what happened in the past.  Quite frankly I'm tired of reading you write that.  The Pats took out Indy in 03 and 04 and look what happened in 06...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

Posted by Rockdog1293000

I'm with you bro....Although NE may not be as dominant and impressive as the #1 and #2 seeds, why would we even be having this conversation.  Until NE is eliminated I'm not counting them out. 

Also, alot of people are counting out Pittsburgh, a team that can beat both Indy and SD.  I believe Pitt will get hot and win out and clinch a wild card.  Hopefully they will play Cincy and then if all goes well NE and Pitt can play for the team of the decade in the AFC Championship.  

But as it was mentioned earlier.  Indy is the team to beat at 14-0.  Say what you want about them, but they beat everyone that was on thier schedule.      

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

No one in the league this year is unbeatable.  No one in any year is unbeatable.  Even in 07 when the pats were so dominant, in the second half of their reg season, 4 of their last 8 games were won by less than a TD, and in 3 of those, the pats were down in the 4th. 

NE can beat anyone, so can Indy, SD, Bal, Cin, and possibly Pit.

Sections
Shortcuts