San Diego is the Team to Beat in AFC

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Re: San Diego is the Team to Beat in AFC

In Response to Re: San Diego is the Team to Beat in AFC:
    [QUOTE]No one in the league this year is unbeatable.  No one in any year is unbeatable.  Even in 07 when the pats were so dominant, in the second half of their reg season, 4 of their last 8 games were won by less than a TD, and in 3 of those, the pats were down in the 4th.  NE can beat anyone, so can Indy, SD, Bal, Cin, and possibly Pit.
    Posted by underdoggg[/QUOTE]

Dogg.. there is no such thing as a "lock" in this league no matter how dominant a team may look.  Pats fans learned the hard way that it takes only one game for it all to come crashing down.  Fans in Indy, SD have had that heartbreak all too often when their team looked like a lock to them to get to and win the SB.  Jbolt is thinking this way, as you may, with some reservations.  As surprising as this season has been, the playoffs may be just as surprising as some team may rise up and pull a Giants '07 on everyone!!  Who knows??!! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

[QUOTE]No one in the league this year is unbeatable.  No one in any year is unbeatable.  Even in 07 when the pats were so dominant, in the second half of their reg season, 4 of their last 8 games were won by less than a TD, and in 3 of those, the pats were down in the 4th.  NE can beat anyone, so can Indy, SD, Bal, Cin, and possibly Pit.
    I picked those 6 about 8 weeks ago to represent in the AFC. And, yes this year is wide open IMO.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: San Diego is the Team to Beat in AFC : I picked those 6 about 8 weeks ago to represent in the AFC. And, yes this year is wide open IMO.
    Posted by jbolted[/QUOTE]

Jbolt, I don't understand.  I thought you were saying earlier that the Chargers would coast through the playoffs.  Did I misinterpret?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: San Diego is the Team to Beat in AFC : Jbolt, I don't understand.  I thought you were saying earlier that the Chargers would coast through the playoffs.  Did I misinterpret?
    They will, but it is wide open. Who was the Colts last tough opponent on that cupcake schedule IYO?

Surely you know the last 6 opponents on the Colts regular season schedule are a bunch of creampuffs? Don't you?

@HOU,TEN,Downward Denver,@Jax,Rex's Jets, & @BUF?

Battle tested for the post season ehh?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Its a fact the dolts cant beat San Diego, cmon they got bounced from playoffs by an 8-8 SD team last year... The reason colts fans hate the Pats so much is because they know NE had to beat the 14-2 Chargers in San Diego in 06 to set up the fixed AFC championship. Troy Brown doesnt strip the interception away and SD wins that game, dolts dont even sniff a superbowl....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: San Diego is the Team to Beat in AFC : They will, but it is wide open. Who was the Colts last tough opponent on that cupcake schedule IYO? Surely you know the last 6 opponents on the Colts regular season schedule are a bunch of creampuffs? @HOU,TEN,Downward Denver,@Jax,Rex's Jets, & @BUF? Battle tested for the post season ehh?
    Posted by jbolted[/QUOTE]

JBolted, not just trying to be an @ss here, I have a legit question.  Do you live in San Diego and if so are all Bolts fans as cocky as you are?  Of the few I do know they are just like you.  Another question (trying to be an @ss here), how could you possibly talk so much trash when your team hasn't made a super bowl since 1995 and that game was a blowout!!  Don't worry though the Super Bowls might not come but at least you're the best regular season team...oh, wait, that title always belongs to NE, Pit or Indy too.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: San Diego is the Team to Beat in AFC : JBolted, not just trying to be an @ss here, I have a legit question.  Do you live in San Diego and if so are all Bolts fans as cocky as you are?  Of the few I do know they are just like you.  Another question (trying to be an @ss here), how could you possibly talk so much trash when your team hasn't made a super bowl since 1995 and that game was a blowout!!  Don't worry though the Super Bowls might not come but at least you're the best regular season team...oh, wait, that title always belongs to NE, Pit or Indy too.
    Posted by CaptainZdeno33[/QUOTE]
    UD throws barbs my way all the time, just returning the favor. I dont do it with everybody.

What have you done for me lately? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Barbs?  LOL.  Pot meet Kettle. 

You have now twice made a bold statement while at the same time backing off it.  I don't believe in claiming success for my team while hedging it in the second half of the same sentence.  At least throw a few filler sentences in between the hedge.    

As for the colts cupcake schedule, I'll just chalk your comment up to perspective.  The Colts last 7 games have been against teams currently .500 or better.  Can the Chargers say that?  No.  Not when the schedule says the chargers played the Browns and Chiefs within the last 4.  Would you like to revise your statement?  

Further, the AFC South currently is a best in league 23-9 in interdivisional play and 11-4 vs the NFC, and it is the only division with every team over .500 and that includes 2 losses each to the colts.  I am sure you would like to say the same about the chargers, but your division includes the slumping (your words) Broncos, 5-win Oakland, and 3-win KC.  Cupcake indeed. 

Now don't confuse my post as an arrogant "my colts are the best" response.  Its not.  It is only meant to clarify your comments comparing the colts schedule vs. the chargers.  Seems to me, based on your criteria, that the colts do appear prepared. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rjhenne. Show rjhenne's posts

agree, its the chargers year. the colts never beat the chargers in the playoffs and wont this year either.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbincpumpkin. Show dbincpumpkin's posts

as long as Norm Turner is head coach, they will never beat the Pats;  oh by the way, Philip Rivers can't hold Brady's jock strap!  Idiot!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Steelcurtain75. Show Steelcurtain75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: San Diego is the Team to Beat in AFC : I'm with you bro....Although NE may not be as dominant and impressive as the #1 and #2 seeds, why would we even be having this conversation.  Until NE is eliminated I'm not counting them out.  Also, alot of people are counting out Pittsburgh, a team that can beat both Indy and SD.  I believe Pitt will get hot and win out and clinch a wild card.  Hopefully they will play Cincy and then if all goes well NE and Pitt can play for the team of the decade in the AFC Championship.   But as it was mentioned earlier.  Indy is the team to beat at 14-0.  Say what you want about them, but they beat everyone that was on thier schedule.      
    Posted by patsfaninsatx[/QUOTE]

The Steelers may be on 'life-support', but they really don't deserve to be in the Playoffs, after losing to K.C, Oak. & Cleveland. But you showed alot of 'class' by saying you would like to see the Patriots meet up with the Steelers to set up the so-called 'Team of The Decade' game. San Diego is looking pretty good right now, and Indy & especially Peyton Manning, are going to tough for anyone to beat.
    That being said, I think the Patriots are right there with San Diego & Indy. As for the 'Team of the Decade', the Patriots have been the measuring stick for all the other teams, all thru the decade. Not only 3 Superbowl wins, but an 18-1 Season that may have ended with a Superbowl loss, but still one of the best, if not best team of all-time. Top that off with the 11-5 season the Patriots fought tooth & nail for last season, with the loss of Brady and so many others to injury, and it's been a remarkable run for the Patriots. Indy has one Superbowl win, and some stellar teams this decade, and if they win it this year, I would put them second to the Patriots. San Diego has been the most baffling team, because I thought with the talent they've had, that they would have a few Superbowl's by now. As for the Steelers, the Seattle game was probably the most boring Superbowl of all-time! I was very disappointed in the way they played, compared to how they played earlier in the Playoffs. Last year, they just got hot at the right time. I think the Steelers best team of this decade might be this year, but instead of winning close games, they've lost a bunch of them. But when you have stupid penalties, and turn-overs in the 4th quarter of a close game, more than not you will end up losing the game. The playoffs will be fun to watch this year, because there have been so many close games, and we'll probably see a few more in the Playoffs! But I think, The Patriot's, The Colt's, or the Chargers, either one of these teams will defeat the NFC Champion (On A Neutral Field) and keep the trophy in the AFC!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

[QUOTE]agree, its the chargers year. the colts never beat the chargers in the playoffs and wont this year either.
    Posted by rjhenne[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about dude?  I despise the Colts and I'm tired of having to defend them and side with dogg.  They've played all of 3 times in the postseason.

1995: 35-20 Indy
    2007: 28-24 San Diego
    2008: 23-17 (ot) San Diego

That's hardly dominant and unbeatable...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Don't forget that the colts did beat the SD in SD last year in the RG, and this year (if it happens) I don't expect Scifres (as good as he is) to have the game that he had last year. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rjhenne. Show rjhenne's posts

1995 was a long time ago dude. the chargers have a pass rush and are better in every facet of the game than the colts other than the  quarterback.  rivers is no peyton manning but he is a top 5 qb in the league, maybe top 3.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

[QUOTE]1995 was a long time ago dude. the chargers have a pass rush and are better in every facet of the game than the colts other than the  quarterback.  rivers is no peyton manning but he is a top 5 qb in the league, maybe top 3.
    Posted by rjhenne[/QUOTE]
    RJ - EVERY FACET?  Some here like to disregard stats and I generally agree, but at times they can be useful, particularly when attempting to compare teams that have not played.  

So to your assertion that the chargers are better in EVERY facet of the game except quarterback:  

Defense: 
    The colts give up fewer points; fewer yards per play; fewer pass yards per play; fewer run yards per play; fewer big pass plays of 20+ yds; fewer big run plays of 20+ yards; opposing quarterbacks have a lower QB rating;  The colts get more ints and have defended more passes.  SD has only one more sack. 

Offense:
    The colts score more points; earn more yards per game; more yards per play; get more 1st downs; convert more 3rd downs and at a greater percentage;  convert more 4th downs and at a greater percentage;  fumble less and lose fewer fumbles; run for more yards per play; have given up fewer sacks and fewer QB hits.

Special Teams:
    The colts kick more touchbacks and average more yardage on kickoffs than SD.

So am I trying to suggest through these stats that San Diego CAN'T beat the Colts (if they play), emphatically, NO! 

But I do think they go a long way toward contradicting your claim that the Chargers are better than the colts in every facet of the game except QB. 

Don't you agree?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Underdogg(g) may or may not be correct -- I don't have much use for statistics compiled against different opposition as a basis for ranking teams that haven't played -- but I can guarantee you there is one facet of the game in which San Dago cannot stand anywhere near Indy, and that is officiating.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

[QUOTE]Underdogg(g) may or may not be correct -- I don't have much use for statistics compiled against different opposition as a basis for ranking teams that haven't played -- but I can guarantee you there is one facet of the game in which San Dago cannot stand anywhere near Indy, and that is officiating.
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

Tsk Tsk - a common theme around here these days. 

Now I don't have much use for complaining about officiating, because I think it is a bunch of hooey, but if there are going to be complaints, I am glad the complaints are about my team getting the calls.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

As well you should be.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

As soon as the Chargers prove they can perform in the post season they can brag. Until then they're nothing.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bn34. Show bn34's posts

I agree Indy has benefitted from some bad PI calls at very opportune times.  Only an idiot could argue that.  However, I refuse to buy the "conspiracy" argument that NFL wants Colts to win. 

When these 2 teams played in the wild card game in January 2009  the final penalty totals were:

Indy 9 for 74 yards.  SD 3-40. 

Indy had the only 3 penaties in 4Q (Indy winning by 3 at the time) and 3 more penalties in OT (1 extended the drive after SD failed to convert 3rd down).

How can anyone objectively say there is a "conspiracy" when recent history says otherwise??  If the refs wanted Indy to win, why call the last 6 penalties when Indy was up 3 in 4Q???? 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I don't think it's a conspiracy at all. What I do think is that officials subconsciously get caught up in momentum and are often influenced by virulent home crowds; not to mention mandates handed down from on high concerning what should be called closely and what should be politely ignored. Now, obviously, you can always find an anomaly -- as bn34 has done here -- but it is not only Pats fan who scratches his head at the often glaring disparity in infractions between the Colts and their opponents. And as anyone remotely familiar with the make-up call can tell you, it is the timing of the outrageousness, more than the sheer volume of it, that makes people like underdogg(g) admit that they are glad that they happen to root for the chosen ones.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bn34. Show bn34's posts

You make some great points on how refs are influenced.  I completely agree.  It will be interesting to watch for this in the playoffs.  We can only hope a call doesn't impact final score.  I just don't agree with those who say Colts "always get all the calls" or "the NFL wants Peyton to win".  My God, could you imagine the Dungy love fest we would have had to endure if Indy had won last year?  Do you not think the NFL/NBC would have milked it for all its worth considering Dungy now works for both?  If the "conspiracy" claims were ever true, last year would have been the Colts year. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

If Blue New Jersey starts making unprecedented noise as the season winds down and in the playoffs, I might give some thought to a potential conspiracy to pit the Manning boys against one another -- but since Dallas was allowed to beat N'awlins, I'm pretty much off the conspiracy bandwagon.