Sanders Deadline Sunday 11:59 P.M. ... Post your Prediction

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: Sanders Deadline Sunday 11:59 P.M. ... Post your Prediction

In response to rkarp's comment:

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Steelers spend the additional 700k and sign him at noon time. Colon was released but paperwork goes thru for June 1st so Stellers have an additional $5.5m in cap space. Also working on a new deal for Polamola to free additional space

Isn't the difference between the tender and the Pats offer 1.2 million?  The extra $700K was what the Steelers would have had to offer to make it a second round tender, I believe. 

Anyway, I predict Sanders comes to the Pats.  I think the Steelers were fishing for the pick all along. 

You know, I didn't check but you are correct and I was wrong. I thought the tender was $1.8. I still think the Steelers sign him. I am hoping the Pats don't spend $2.5 on a 6th -8th target for Brady when a stud WR can be had for $1m in the 2nd round. 

First, the 6th to 8th target statement is not accurate. he easily becomes the 1st-2nd WR on this team, and one given his skill and production, is more easily to project than any one WR that we could have nabbed in the draft at pick 91. 

Yes, Brady has a stable of about 6-8 receiving targets, but they each have a role, and sanders skill set and role is unique compared to what they currently have on the roster. He is a nice complimentary piece that is versatile that. When combined with the others makes the roster stronger...

with all this...I think he becomes a Patriot at 2:53pm today.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

In response to patsbandwagonsince76's comment:

2:50 pm, he becomes a Patriot.

I can see Pittsburgh waiting to the last day to make the announcment to keep the PAtriots in the dark as long as possible but the reports published here and other places show a real spit in the organization about what to do. Really? This should be a no-brainer...either their organization is incompetent or Sanders has a lot of potential..making it a more difficult decision than it should be.

It should be interesting to see what Pitt does. I thought Williamson summarized it very well:

1. If they do keep him it's because of a fear they don't want their fans to know they're rebuilding the next 2-3 years when Ben's about done because he's taken too many hits.

2. If they let him walk, it's clearly the right move, but it will be a tell tale sign Pitt is scaling back wisely in order to rebuild on the fly before they lose their edge completely into Jets Land.

The reason why they didn't tender him at a 2nd rd pick level is two fold:  They wanted someone to bite and a 2nd rd tender is too rich. So, they do a 3rd rd and something they can afford to cover themselves.  However, the genius of BB is he waent about 500 K past even that number (the 2nd rd tender number) because he's calling Colbert's bluff.   LOL

So, if Pitt didn't have the 2 mil to tender him as a way to ensure he stayed in Pitt that means they gambled and lost, if they walk from Sanders.

They'd prefer to keep him but I don't see them jumping through hoops to do so.

Another team that tried to peak over a few seasons with no regard to continuity.( and by all measures they were sucessful because at least they did win SB's). Problem is, they let the core group get a bit too expensive and a bit too old and now they have to let go of young reletively inexpensive players. Think they already are in Jets land, if that is the land of somehwere around .500 for a few years.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from laurienyc13. Show laurienyc13's posts

I think he'll be a Patriot!!! As we all know what a QB wants is not part of the decision and seems to me that when they say what they do want the opposite happens, the  Team can't let others think the QB runs the team or that he is more important than others. So by Ben saying he wants him to stay was in fact Sanders pink slip.. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

We know nothing tonight, but tomorrow morning we will find out that Pitt didn't match.  Tomorrow around noon we begin to hear on the National News about a "Serial Rapist" on the loose in Pittsburgh.  An enraged Ben Raplisberger is in Police custory by 3:00 est tomorrow afternoon.  That's my prediction...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

I agree with pats bandwagon Pitt just trying to keep the pats in the dark as long as possible---sanders to ne, 4:35

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

Pitt doesn't match.

Sanders is a Pat by 3:00pm

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from viewer222. Show viewer222's posts

First, the 6th to 8th target statement is not accurate. he easily becomes the 1st-2nd WR on this team, and one given his skill and production, is more easily to project than any one WR that we could have nabbed in the draft at pick 91. 

Yes, Brady has a stable of about 6-8 receiving targets, but they each have a role, and sanders skill set and role is unique compared to what they currently have on the roster. He is a nice complimentary piece that is versatile that. When combined with the others makes the roster stronger...

[/QUOTE]
    I agree with these statements about Sanders being better than what the Patriots will draft. Look at BBs history of drafting WRs. His best selection was easily Deon Branch. Though Branch was very effective early in his career, he was BBs best pick. Sanders will be everything that Branch was for a third round pick that most likely will be a bust. (With the 36th selection of the draft, the Patriots select wide receiver Chad Jackson!!  2006 do we remember?)

I don't expect Pittsburgh to announce their decision til 9PM tonight. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

In response to alfred-e-bob-neumier's comment:

First, I'd like to thank the Globe's football writing staff for taking all this time off and bringing absolutely NOTHING to the table lately....it can't be that tough to cover the draft that it requires you to take this much down time and rest...and Bedard, if you have one foot at SI and one here at the Globe, get it over with and get gone.....

Big +1 on that!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

The Steelers will take the third round pick and run.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

Steelers match 1730 ET

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from aytee. Show aytee's posts

The longer we wait, the more likely it seems that we'll get him.  I say Patriots, 5:30

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Steelers spend the additional 700k and sign him at noon time. Colon was released but paperwork goes thru for June 1st so Stellers have an additional $5.5m in cap space. Also working on a new deal for Polamola to free additional space

Isn't the difference between the tender and the Pats offer 1.2 million?  The extra $700K was what the Steelers would have had to offer to make it a second round tender, I believe. 

Anyway, I predict Sanders comes to the Pats.  I think the Steelers were fishing for the pick all along. 

You know, I didn't check but you are correct and I was wrong. I thought the tender was $1.8. I still think the Steelers sign him. I am hoping the Pats don't spend $2.5 on a 6th -8th target for Brady when a stud WR can be had for $1m in the 2nd round. 

really? I am surprised you would say that. I dont think he signs here, in fact I hope he doesnt sign here given the parameters of the 1 year pay out or a 3 year payout based on what Sanders has produced so far in his career

THat being said, if he does sign here, lets go out on a limb with some predictions. Lets assume healthy years for the entire group, which is obviously a huge stretch given the crew BB has brought in, but lets make that assumption;

65-85 receptions

Gronk, Hern, Amendola

50-64 receptions

Edelman, Vareen

35-49 receptions

None

20-34 receptions

Jones, Ballard, Sanders

Other predictions:

Washington gets less than 5% of the total RB snaps

AWilson plays 20-30% of the DB snaps

TKelly plays 30% of the DL snaps

If everyone gets thru the preseason healthy, Fells, Jenkins are cut.

If Svitek grasps the system quickly, it is a very close battle between Cannon and McDonald and Cannon is cut.

Stallworth is on the team

Have at it

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Any word yet??  LOL!  I love this stuff.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

Sanders to the pats, but in the interest of ratings sheriff goddel waits till the green jacket is awarded and the dust settles from "drop gate" before the announcement is made.  

good reasoning..but how long does it take the dust to settle?...give us a specific time for the sake of this contest.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to patsbandwagonsince76's comment:

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

Sanders to the pats, but in the interest of ratings sheriff goddel waits till the green jacket is awarded and the dust settles from "drop gate" before the announcement is made.  

good reasoning..but how long does it take the dust to settle?...give us a specific time for the sake of this contest.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

really? I am surprised you would say that. I dont think he signs here, in fact I hope he doesnt sign here given the parameters of the 1 year pay out or a 3 year payout based on what Sanders has produced so far in his career

THat being said, if he does sign here, lets go out on a limb with some predictions. Lets assume healthy years for the entire group, which is obviously a huge stretch given the crew BB has brought in, but lets make that assumption;

65-85 receptions

Gronk, Hern, Amendola

50-64 receptions

Edelman, Vareen

35-49 receptions

None

20-34 receptions

Jones, Ballard, Sanders

Other predictions:

If Svitek grasps the system quickly, it is a very close battle between Cannon and McDonald and Cannon is cut.

Have at it

Why are you surprised?

first, your assumption that everyone remains healthy is probably not going to happen which makes sanders that more important. If Gronk or Hern or amendola miss time, sanders can step up and fill the void. Any one of these 3 go down and sanders should be in your 35-49 category. How man catches did Lloyd have last year? That is my point. You want a capable receiver ready to step in, or even take the heat off of the big 3. It makes sanders role that much more important.

i also think you are over estimating what Vereen and Edelman will have in terms of catches. I think sanders passes them and will end up 3-4 on the roster in terms of totals by years end.

its tough to project with any player if they will fit the pats system , but I think more difficult with a draft pick than an nfl proven receiver. Also, his production in Pitt is an indication he can produce, but, can't be measured on how uniquely he produces in our system with the complimentary pieces  and Brady throwing to him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Everyone talks about what a plus it is to have Brady throwing to a WR. There are 3-4 times as many WR's that Brady couldn't get on the same page with or couldn't pick up the Pats offense than guys who did or could. 

BenR threw the ball a lot and Sanders was average at best for Pitts

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Amendola. Show Brady2Amendola's posts

Sanders will be a Patriot at 10:42 pm 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

In response to Rocky's comment:

The Steelers will match around 7:05PM after Ben agrees to take a pay cut

Don't think the NFLPA would like that.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

65-85 receptions

Gronk, Hern, Amendola

50-64 receptions

Edelman, Vareen

35-49 receptions

None

20-34 receptions

Jones, Ballard, Sanders

Other predictions:

Have at it

Think they'll keep both Connon and McDonald. Don't Pats carry 8 OL?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

12:00 4/15/13 he will be ours and not a min sooner because there is no reason they would let him go sooner

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

I don't believe Pitt will match and Sanders will become a Patriot.

We'll hear it when we hear it.