Sanders' speed?????

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Sanders' speed?????

Does anyone know what Sanders' time was when he went to the Combine?

What I'm really questioning is whether he has over-the-top, burner speed to keep defenses on their heels and whether he has the potential to go deep thus opening up the middle of the field for the likes of Gronk, Hernandez, Edelman, Amendola, etc.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Re: Sanders' speed?????

He has 4.4 speed.  And a 6.6 3 cone drill which is insane.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

He's the prototype BB WR in regards to 40 time and triangle #'s.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

4.40 speed, in comparasion, Pierre Garcon ran a 4.48, 4.47 speed for Victor Cruz, 4.41 speed for Percy Harvin and a 4.62 of Brandon Lloyd. 

Emmanuel is known for his speed, but unlike Wallace, he was willing to run short/intermediate routes. On occasion, he went deep in Pitt. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

Here is a link on Sanders Offer  from a Pittsburg point of view.  I get a kick out of the comments below the article about whether to match or not to match.  Lot's of disagreement.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/sanders-gets-offer-from-patriots-steelers-have-until-sunday-to-match-682852/

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Was just going to ask what consensus is on this forum.  Will Steelers match or no?  

Not sure I know what Werder's history is with respect to this - is he generally on the mark?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn51m

What could prevent Steelers from matching Pats on Emmanual Sanders? Only 3 teams have less cap space. Pick No. 91 may tempt GM Kevin Colbert

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

As I mentioned on another post the money the Pats signed him for isn't all that much higher than the Steeler's tender offer so it's likely the Steelers match.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

What I have seen today is that Pittsburgh is in dire straights for WR and the Pats 3rd is at the bottom of the 3rd so for an extra 400/500K they will match as they need him.

I guess we'll know by Sunday.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

And all the while we probably have to wait until Sunday to find out.  What is Colbert thinking keeping us waiting like this?  Doesn't he know that we're New England fans and want closure on this - NOW??

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

I do see what you mean but Pittsburgh has him penciled in as their # 2 WR. Pittsburg thinks highly of him and was hoping that other Teams CAP issues would protect them against him leaving. There are many in Pittsburgh that feel he's a heck of a player. They feel he can't be replaced even with a second. As we know here drafting a WR ain't easy.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

He's the prototype BB WR in regards to 40 time and triangle #'s.

our bb prototypes usually flame out at cb and wr

would rather draft 2 big wrs ie hopkins/rogers. hope pitt matches

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Also folks,,,what I have read on several sites is that Sander's has the ability to be a star, a true star. His issue is staying on the field. And yes...as Bill Parcells liked to say...I don't care how good you are...you are no good to me if you can't stay on the field.

That being said, Pittsburgh needs D help as well and has been trying to rework several contracts to get more cap room.

The "experts" and yes, who knows what that means...say that the Pats are not going high with the money...but if they land Sanders for a late 3rd for 1.9 mil per then thay said the Patriots will score a player worth more than that.

After reading these stories I must say that Sanders is better than I thought....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

Also folks,,,what I have read on several sites is that Sander's has the ability to be a star, a true star. His issue is staying on the field. And yes...as Bill Parcells liked to say...I don't care how good you are...you are no good to me if you can't stay on the field.

That being said, Pittsburgh needs D help as well and has been trying to rework several contracts to get more cap room.

The "experts" and yes, who knows what that means...say that the Pats are not going high with the money...but if they land Sanders for a late 3rd for 1.9 mil per then thay said the Patriots will score a player worth more than that.

After reading these stories I must say that Sanders is better than I thought....

The offer sheet that Steelers restricted free agent receiver Emmanuel Sanders signed with the Patriots is for one year and worth $2.5 million, ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter reported.

As Schefter noted earlier on Wednesday, the terms of the offer sheet aren't such that the Steelers would be "scared" to match. The Steelers, even though they are tight to the salary cap, could absorb that salary.

But the question is whether they value Sanders enough to do so.

After all, they could have tendered Sanders at the second-round level, which would have been worth $2 million, and likely kept any suitors away because of the second-round compensation. Instead, they tendered him at $1.3 million (and would receive a third-round draft choice in return if they don't match an offer).

So this is a conservative yet strategic play by the Patriots, who obviously like Sanders but not to the point of drawing up a multi-year, big-money contract.

If the salary cap-strapped Steelers didn't think Sanders was worth the second-round tender ($2 million), or the first-round tender ($2.88 million), maybe that means they won't match an offer sheet that falls between those two figures.

We'll find out the answer within five days.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Think of him as a younger and much faster Brandon Lloyd.  We won't see the circus style catches as often, but we also will see someone fight for YAC rather than diving to the turf immediately after catching the ball. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

For 2.02 PIT could have protected with a 2nd rounder.

For 2.9 a first.

NE split the difference. If PIT wasn't worried about the cap, the 2.02 was a no-brainer, and the 2.9 likely.

RFA tender source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restricted_free_agent

They won't match. They gave him the lowest possible tender to keep him from flat-out FA, which probably made things difficult as-is. The extra 1.2 is likely back-breaking.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

4.4 which is pretty fast, not blazing but faster than anyone we had last year. He's a tough player, good blocker, physical, decent hands. He had a few drops but can catch.

imo the patriots needed to become more physical and sanders fits that mold. His blocking ability can't be overlooked either.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:

Does anyone know what Sanders' time was when he went to the Combine?

What I'm really questioning is whether he has over-the-top, burner speed to keep defenses on their heels and whether he has the potential to go deep thus opening up the middle of the field for the likes of Gronk, Hernandez, Edelman, Amendola, etc.

Just a bit of a follow up.  Gregg Bedard had some interesting points in his Extra Points article including:

Has 4.4 speed. It shows up at times on the field, but it's inconsistent. He does not have the type of speed that will make defensive coordinators pay him extra attention, but you have to respect his ability down the field. He can get behind you if you're not paying attention.

Basically, Sanders is a good, solid all-around receiver who is above average in most categories. He runs decent routes, has decent hands (had some key drops, and an open-field fumble vs. Ravens last year). Best receiving attribute is his ability to find soft spots in the zones.

The facet of Sanders' game that stands out the most is his blocking. He's excellent in that regard and is often used as the lead blocker on receiver screens.

Sections
Shortcuts