Scarnecchia Speaks At The Hall’s Speaker Series

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhatVirginian. Show PhatVirginian's posts

Scarnecchia Speaks At The Hall’s Speaker Series

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2014/02/scar_opens_up_his_pats

" Listening to Dante Scarnecchia last night during The Hall’s Speaker Series was like enjoying an evening with your favorite uncle.

The recently retired Patriots offensive line coach, who spent 30 years with the organization, was warm, engaging, funny and informative.

Fans were drawn to his every word during his remarks and later Q&A session, in this, the first time a Patriots coach had taken part in the event.

Scarnecchia did what would have been considered unthinkable pre-retirement — he talked about injuries. He described Sebastian Vollmer’s season-ending injury as a dislocated ankle, saying the right tackle suffered one of the “toughest injuries” he’d witnessed as a coach. Vollmer’s injury was listed by the team as a broken leg.

Scarnecchia offered an interesting change from the norm. In that regard, he explained the need for having one voice — Bill Belichick’s — and one message in the locker room.

“I think Bill does a good job educating the players about how to respond to certain questions,’’ Scarnecchia said. “Clearly, there’s so many examples where it sounds like the players were cloned by Bill . . . but his focus as a head coach is the final product. You can’t have people going in all these other directions. So he has a plan how to deal with things.

“I know you’d love to hear it, but if you heard it, we’d have to eliminate you.”

That line brought the house down, of course.

Scarnecchia told some great anecdotes during his hour-long session before signing autographs. He recalled one where former offensive lineman Matt Light played a prank on him, sabotaging his computer to the point where he couldn’t watch any tape.

“Light, he thinks he’s a comedian, but thank God we drafted Matt, and I mean that sincerely,’’ Scarnecchia said. “The very first thing Matt Light said to me after we drafted him in the second round, he says, ‘I got narcolepsy.’ I pleaded ignorance. So he said, ‘I fall asleep all the time. I fall asleep in meetings.’ I said, ‘I don’t think you’re going to fall asleep in my meetings.’

“So he always sat right in front of me. I could always tell when he was getting a little narcoleptic.”

Scarnecchia also revealed that Tom Brady’s generosity extended beyond gifts for the offensive line. It seems No. 12 spreads the wealth all around.

“I do know the last two or three years, he’s bought everyone on the team, everyone from trainers, equipment people, he just got everyone Uggs,’’ Scarnecchia said. “I got three pairs of Uggs. I’m bummed out I’m not going to get a pair this year ’cuz I love those things.”

The legendary coach, who was in the business for 44 years, also took on some tougher topics, namely the bullying scandal in Miami involving Richie Incognito and Jonathan Martin.

Scarnecchia did not want to comment on the Dolphins business, per se, but did talk about the issue in general, saying that kind of behavior in NFL locker rooms is the exception, not the rule. He called it an “extreme situation.”

Had Scarnecchia stayed on for another season, he would have just returned from watching prospects at the NFL’s scouting combine in Indianapolis. To that end, he was asked to describe what his days were like this time of year.

“(In the morning), you self-analyze things from the offense this past season, then in the afternoon watch the college guys that were at the combine and start to break them down on tape. That’s what you do for the next two months every day, all day,’’ Scarnecchia said. “I love to watch football, and study how people play, but it takes a lot out of you to do it every day. I’m going to tell you right now, there’s not a lot of yucks in that office. We don’t spend a lot of time sitting around the coffee machine, talking about Seinfeld last night.

“You sit at your desk, and chain yourself to the desk, and go as hard as you can. That’s the job.”

Asked about what he considered the Patriots top needs, Scarnecchia said it wasn’t too hard to figure out, pointing toward the defensive line, as well as linebacker.

In terms of what he always looked for in an offensive lineman, he remarked the formula wasn’t too complicated.

“You have to be smart, you have to be tough, and you have to be athletic enough,” he said. “Those are the things to me, that are the priorities when evaluating an offensive lineman and ultimately how well does he play his position.”"

----------------------

The Patriots are going to miss him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Re: Scarnecchia Speaks At The Hall’s Speaker Series

Four years from now when he becomes eligible for the Pats HOF I hope fans don't forget what a tremendous job he did for this organization.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

Four years from now when he becomes eligible for the Pats HOF I hope fans don't forget what a tremendous job he did for this organization.

He's a shoe-in.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Hes a legend really and how can you forget a name like Scarnecchia.   Thats a football name if I ever heard one.  

The linemen should paint Scars on their Necks as a tribute to him. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

We were lucky he stayed on an extra few years per requet of BB. This is the toughest coaching loss since Weiss and Crennel. The guy survived through 4 decades with 1 team. Every coaching regime that came in here said, "This guy stays". That says it all.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhatVirginian. Show PhatVirginian's posts

Who is replacing his position? I don't remember...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to PhatVirginian's comment:

http://www.patriots.com/news/article-1/Dante-Scarnecchia-to-retire-Dave-Deguglielmo-named-new-Offensive-Line-Coach/367f62a4-b7e3-40e7-b840-85b92291231a

DAVE DEGUGLIELMO

Dave DeGuglielmo is a 22-year coaching veteran, including nine seasons in the NFL as an assistant for the New York Jets (2012), Miami Dolphins (2009-11) and New York Giants (2004-08).

DeGuglielmo joined the Giants in 2004 as the assistant offensive line/quality control coach before being elevated to assistant offensive line coach in 2005. During his tenure, the Giants were one of only four NFL teams to have put together a 4.0-yard average per rush attempt or better in each of those four seasons. In 2008, the Giants led the league and established a franchise record with 2,518 rushing yards and 5.0 yards per carry. He joined the Miami Dolphins staff on Jan. 15, 2009 and served three seasons as the offensive line coach. Under DeGuglielmo's guidance, the Dolphins' offensive line blocked for a running game that gained 1,987 yards in 2011 and produced Reggie Bush's first career 1,000-yard season. Following three seasons in Miami, Deguglielmo spent the 2012 season as the offensive line coach for the New York Jets.

Before entering the NFL coaching ranks, DeGuglielmo spent five seasons (1999-2003) under Hall of Fame coach Lou Holtz at the University of South Carolina working with the offensive line and tight ends. He began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at Boston College (1991-92) before moving to his alma mater, Boston University (1993-96) and then the University of Connecticut (1997-98). A native of Lexington, Mass., DeGuglielmo was a four-year letter-winning offensive lineman at Boston University (1987-90), while playing both guard and center.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

let's not get to carried away on the lovefest for coach Scarnecchia, he was very good but he was the architect of the Olines that were crushed by the Giants twice and the Broncos in the afccg. He put together great groups that won sb 36 38 and 39 but stuck by his weaker group in 42 and 46.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to harleyroadking1's comment:

let's not get to carried away on the lovefest for coach Scarnecchia, he was very good but he was the architect of the Olines that were crushed by the Giants twice and the Broncos in the afccg. He put together great groups that won sb 36 38 and 39 but stuck by his weaker group in 42 and 46.

Those O lines were some of the highest rated O lines in the league those years, they were damn good.

Sometimes when you pass 45 times to a dozen runs against the #1 pass rush in the NFL your QB gets sacked.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhatVirginian. Show PhatVirginian's posts

In response to harleyroadking1's comment:

all true, but how many coaches survive that long for 30 years with one team.  I think there was one year as a coach for the Colts during that time.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from HelmetofLeather. Show HelmetofLeather's posts

The ONE person the Pats will miss most next year.......

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to HelmetofLeather's comment:

The ONE person the Pats will miss most next year.......

I think that's probably the case. 

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from HelmetofLeather. Show HelmetofLeather's posts

In response to PhatVirginian's comment:

http://www.patriots.com/news/article-1/Dante-Scarnecchia-to-retire-Dave-Deguglielmo-named-new-Offensive-Line-Coach/367f62a4-b7e3-40e7-b840-85b92291231a

DAVE DEGUGLIELMO

Dave DeGuglielmo is a 22-year coaching veteran, including nine seasons in the NFL as an assistant for the New York Jets (2012), Miami Dolphins (2009-11) and New York Giants (2004-08).

DeGuglielmo joined the Giants in 2004 as the assistant offensive line/quality control coach before being elevated to assistant offensive line coach in 2005. During his tenure, the Giants were one of only four NFL teams to have put together a 4.0-yard average per rush attempt or better in each of those four seasons. In 2008, the Giants led the league and established a franchise record with 2,518 rushing yards and 5.0 yards per carry. He joined the Miami Dolphins staff on Jan. 15, 2009 and served three seasons as the offensive line coach. Under DeGuglielmo's guidance, the Dolphins' offensive line blocked for a running game that gained 1,987 yards in 2011 and produced Reggie Bush's first career 1,000-yard season. Following three seasons in Miami, Deguglielmo spent the 2012 season as the offensive line coach for the New York Jets.

Before entering the NFL coaching ranks, DeGuglielmo spent five seasons (1999-2003) under Hall of Fame coach Lou Holtz at the University of South Carolina working with the offensive line and tight ends. He began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at Boston College (1991-92) before moving to his alma mater, Boston University (1993-96) and then the University of Connecticut (1997-98). A native of Lexington, Mass., DeGuglielmo was a four-year letter-winning offensive lineman at Boston University (1987-90), while playing both guard and center.

I wonder if he had a hand in drawing up the ButtFumble......

Sections
Shortcuts