Schefter breaks the hard news to Colts fans about Manning's future.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Schefter breaks the hard news to Colts fans about Manning's future.

"1. Could Manning move on? Hard to imagine Peyton Manning wearing a Miami Dolphins uniform.

Or Peyton Manning playing for the Seattle Seahawks.

But it's not as farfetched today as it was at other times.

There's a lot that still can happen and it makes no sense to predict how it will evolve. But it's worth pointing out that the Colts can get out of Manning's contract after one year and $26 million without any other money being guaranteed, according to a league source.

Manning has a $28 million option bonus/non-exercise bonus in Year 2 that is due on the fifth day before the end of the 2011 league year, according to the source. But if the Colts cut Manning after Year 1, they pay neither.

It sounds crazy because it's Manning we're talking about. But he will be 36 years old next season, and if he can't play this year because of his neck and back injuries, then the Colts could be staring straight at one of the most significant financial decisions they will ever have to make.

They could be deciding whether to pay Manning the balance on his contract or to stick their necks on the line and decline the option bonus."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: Schefter breaks the hard news to Colts fans about Manning's future.

I could see the Colts using this as a starting point for renegotiating his deal with more 'opt out' clauses. 

I don't know though. QBs, especially QBs as good as Manning are hard to find. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

Manning is toast. Only a delusional organization would pay any future monie$. Oh wait, we are talking about the Colts,  aren't we?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southnpatsfan. Show southnpatsfan's posts

From what I've read about his injury, he's lucky to ever play again.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FenwayChuck. Show FenwayChuck's posts

He will be okay, it just may not be as soon as they think it will be.
    Had the same injury/surgery a while back (While on Active duty).... onmce recovered to the point I coudl do everything I used to; the military deemed me not worldwide deployable and asked me to retire.... but regardless of what some thing... NFL is not war....

I hope he doesn't end up with any of the long term stuff I continue to have from it.... I can't even wish harm on GOMER....

Here's hoping he comes back has no touch due to numbness in his hands (only on game day) throws 15 picks in the first game against NE..... and then becomes a third stringer somewhere.... and goes off to raise his children in peace and two-part harmony

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: Schefter breaks the hard news to Colts fans about Manning's future.:
    I could see the Colts using this as a starting point for renegotiating his deal with more 'opt out' clauses.  I don't know though. QBs, especially QBs as good as Manning are hard to find. 
    Posted by zbellino

I thought about that as well, I wonder if Manning would be willing to do that after a year off. I don't believe money is his concern but at the same time he is Peyton manning! Its a delicate situation for the Colts and it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joel63. Show Joel63's posts

Chuck,

Thank you for your service. I wonder if Irsay would make a call and inquire about Mallet? I realize this is silly. Personally, I would love to see him twice a year (Miami)!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

In Response to Re: Schefter breaks the hard news to Colts fans about Manning's future.:
    He will be okay, it just may not be as soon as they think it will be. Had the same injury/surgery a while back (While on Active duty).... onmce recovered to the point I coudl do everything I used to; the military deemed me not worldwide deployable and asked me to retire.... but regardless of what some thing... NFL is not war.... I hope he doesn't end up with any of the long term stuff I continue to have from it.... I can't even wish harm on GOMER.... Here's hoping he comes back has no touch due to numbness in his hands (only on game day) throws 15 picks in the first game against NE..... and then becomes a third stringer somewhere.... and goes off to raise his children in peace and two-part harmony
    Posted by FenwayChuck

Yeah, but I'm guessing 320 pound guys weren't jumping on you routinely.  And you weren't an NFL Quarterback, the difference between being Manning and just being o.k. is a bad neck.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Wouldn't be the first time the Irsays screwed over a Colts QB, remember how they shipped out Johnny U.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

From what I've read about his injury, he's lucky to ever play again

He wont play again. my GF said that he'll have a lot of pain and it'll never go away. She said it can effect a lot of things feelings, thinking etc. His older brother had a similar thing in college and retired.

Why dont the Colts go after Carson Palmer?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: Schefter breaks the hard news to Colts fans about Manning's future. : Yeah, but I'm guessing 320 pound guys weren't jumping on you routinely.  And you weren't an NFL Quarterback, the difference between being Manning and just being o.k. is a bad neck.
    Posted by Davedsone

Yeah, I'm guessing that the guy "only" had to worry about risking his own life, so we could watch grown men get paid millions to play football. What does that fool know?!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Wouldn't be the first time the Irsays screwed over a Colts QB, remember how they shipped out Johnny U.
    Posted by kansaspatriot

True! Jims dad sent Unitas to SD and after he snuck the team to Indy Unitas severed all ties with the Colts. He actually had a lot to do with Baltimore getting another team.

Wow and the Isray family might ship out another all time great after this season!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

I could see the Colts using this as a starting point for renegotiating his deal with more 'opt out' clauses.  I don't know though. QBs, especially QBs as good as Manning are hard to find. 
    Posted by zbellino

Renegotiation, yes; paying him the option bonus, no unless he comes back this year and lights it up.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

He will be okay, it just may not be as soon as they think it will be. Had the same injury/surgery a while back (While on Active duty).... onmce recovered to the point I coudl do everything I used to; the military deemed me not worldwide deployable and asked me to retire.... but regardless of what some thing... NFL is not war.... I hope he doesn't end up with any of the long term stuff I continue to have from it.... I can't even wish harm on GOMER.... Here's hoping he comes back has no touch due to numbness in his hands (only on game day) throws 15 picks in the first game against NE..... and then becomes a third stringer somewhere.... and goes off to raise his children in peace and two-part harmony
    Posted by FenwayChuck

Chuck I am retired Army and now working in Afghanistan as a DOD Advisor. Just wanted to say THANKS for you service! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hang3xc. Show hang3xc's posts

I hope Manning comes out OK and has a couple good seasons left in him. The best games of the BB/Brady era were against the Colts. The debates raged for a decade over who is better. We have a good rivalry w/the Jet's now, but Sanchez is NO Manning.

When he is gone, he WILL be missed, hopefully even by many Pat's fans who like to see the best play the best

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

This certainly is a dilemma for the Colts. The prospect of being obligated for huge chunks of their cap to a player who has missed a year and is making a comeback at the ripe age of 36 is something that should make any GM cringe.

Unless they can feel assured that they will be paying for the same Manning that they have seen in the past, they should probably cut bait and move on. Unfortunately as he is the icon of the Indy version of the Colts, having him move elsewhere is also undesirable. The best scenario for them will be if he can return this season and they are able to see what the after the injury Manning looks like before the big money decision confronts them.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtics1986. Show Celtics1986's posts

The colts are getting nine points vs a team they are 16-2 against all time??!! Manning is really good, he aint God!!! 

Freeny, Mathis, Saturday, Addai, Wayne, Dallas Clark, Sessions…..these guys are not going to be garbage all of the sudden! If they end up being as bad as people are saying (3-13) then we should now list our all time athletes as  JordanManningAliBabe Ruth 

NO WAY they go from 12 wins ten years in a row to garbage!!! Manning Ain't that good!

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Manning would be great for our scout team.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

We could always use some more vendors in Gillette...

Sorry.  Strangely, I do feel kinda bad for Indy fans.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

in 2007 the Pats were 16-0 with Brady
    in 2008 the Pats were 11-5 w/o  Brady.  5 more losses.

That is what I would say a franchise QB brings

In 2010 the Colts were 10-6 with Manning
    In 2011 the Colts...  

5-11 is not unrealistic.  I would expect that if Manning is all they say he is they would struggle to win 3 games.  This is one of the weakest Colts rosters since maybe 02, but my guess is they start running the ball some, get a little more balanced and go 8-8.  Maybe not, since I haven't seen Caldwell do anything to make me think he is qualified to be an NFL head coach.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

The best games of the BB/Brady era were against the Colts. Posted by hang3xc

Some, but not all. What about against the Steelers?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

overreaction.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from riogrande100. Show riogrande100's posts

Manning already has a job lined up as an OC!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Re: Schefter breaks the hard news to Colts fans about Manning's future. : I thought about that as well, I wonder if Manning would be willing to do that after a year off. I don't believe money is his concern but at the same time he is Peyton manning! Its a delicate situation for the Colts and it will be interesting to see how it turns out.
    Posted by TrueChamp

Money was never a concern with farve either but I thought someone was going to have to drive a stake through his heart to get him to retire permanently. (It might come to that still, the season is just starting.)

I think what keeps guys like him going is an inability to give up the stature of a demi-God, along with all the glory and hero-worship that goes with being an big time NFL player.

I understand manning has quite an ego. Only time will tell if he can handle retirement with dignity.

Sections
Shortcuts