Schefter says no way Peppers goes to Pats

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

Adam Schefter (sp?) of the NFL network said that he is 99.9% positive there is no way Peppers is coming to the Patriots. His reasoning is that the Pats need to sign some combination of Wilfork, Mankins and Seymour, plus trade #34 and shell out upwards of $70 million with a large part of that guaranteed.

I agree with Schefter. No way this happens.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

who said they have to shell out that kind of money?and good ole adam has been wrong before.it may not happen,and all this is a very low class rumor that got started.eatheir way,in time we will know.if its jason taylor being signed,or come draft day this trade never happens.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

Boy, if this isn't true, Vic Carucci will take a hit. He was the first one to report it. Frankly , even if true I was surprised it came out. But Carucci doesn't seem to be someone who is looking to scoop other reporters as Mortensen is. My feeling is it IS true but both Patriots and Panthers are more than annoyed it came out!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarylandFan. Show MarylandFan's posts

This Peppers rumor could very well be nothing but spin by the Panthers or Peppers agent. Even though Peppers hasn't signed the $16.7 mil tender offer, it still counts against the Panthers salary cap. They have virtually no room to sign FA's. He'll be traded but I doubt to the Pats. Then again w/BB, we've learned to predict the unpredictable.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

the one thing that is sticking out is we havent heard the pats deny the report.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[Quote]

Moss

Adam could be wrong, no doubt. But to me his analysis is spot on. The Pats would do well to retain their own guys and maybe take a chance on Jason Taylor. Schefter put Taylor coming to the Pats at 50/50.

That being said, when have the Pats ever done what we expect them to do? I heard an interview with the Panthers' play by play guy yesterday. He said Peppers is not just about the money and that he is definitely looking for a change of scenery since he's played HS, College and Pro ball in the Carolinas.

Schefter is a pretty credible source, but no one is infallible and he admitted as much.[/Quote]I know nothing is definite until it is set in stone.until we see it.it will be a bad rumor.Adam is pretty good with what he finds out.i cant argue there.but i think he is just speculateing that the pats wont go after peppers for he will be to expensive.im just saying he could work out a decent contract for both sides.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Schefter is usually pretty good at scoops. He did report the Moss and Welker deals. As I mentioned in an earlier post the Pats will have jettison one of Seymour, Mankins or Wilfork to keep a player like Peppers.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stupideeediot. Show Stupideeediot's posts

Well Peppers wants to play OLB but if I was signing either him or Seymour long term I'd sign Peppers. So as far as a long term deal he could just be replacing Seymour's contract and the team could play someone younger and cheaper at DE or OLB. I don't if you get any better by doing that

I ahd thought Peppers was younger, didn't realize he's already 29. Wow time flies.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

[Quote]who said they have to shell out that kind of money?and good ole adam has been wrong before.it may not happen,and all this is a very low class rumor that got started.eatheir way,in time we will know.if its jason taylor being signed,or come draft day this trade never happens.[/Quote]

Moss

Adam could be wrong, no doubt. But to me his analysis is spot on. The Pats would do well to retain their own guys and maybe take a chance on Jason Taylor. Schefter put Taylor coming to the Pats at 50/50.

That being said, when have the Pats ever done what we expect them to do? I heard an interview with the Panthers' play by play guy yesterday. He said Peppers is not just about the money and that he is definitely looking for a change of scenery since he's played HS, College and Pro ball in the Carolinas.

Schefter is a pretty credible source, but no one is infallible and he admitted as much.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

[Quote]the one thing that is sticking out is we havent heard the pats deny the report.[/Quote]

True enough, the Pats run an airtight operation. And we won't hear a peep until Peppers is here, assuming he's coming, or until they break off trade talks and he goes elsewhere.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

I can't see Peppers going to the Lions, he'd be better off staying with the Panthers. Why do you think he expressed an interest in the 3-4, he wants to win. that in itself limits the teams he would go to.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

if one,or the other signs.it means one,or the other wont be here.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

who knows

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

[Quote]I am torn. Noth Carucci and Shefter have been reliable sources. Does Shefter say that he heard this from insiders? Because from where I sit it seems more like he has questions about whether it can work. Not questions about the accuracy of the report.

Of course the "leak" could always be from his agent. Once the idea is out there that #34 gets Peppers, anyone willing to give up more can come get him. The Lions for instance.[/Quote]

I don't know how much leverage Peppers has. The Lions could trump with #33, but can Peppers refuse to be traded there? Based on discussions on this board and many other outlets, it seems that Carolina wants to avoid getting a #1 pick in return because of the guaranteed dollars that come with it? Not so sure this is such a risk with later first round picks, the salaries are on par with high 2nd round picks I think, but are guaranteed. High #1's are being devalued because of the salary obligations. Sounds like the NFL is headed toward MLB's draft system, where talent slides because of signability.

For Peppers to leave Carolina, he'd need to find that perfect team that would let him play OLB, has an attractive pick to offer and has room under the cap to sign him. Does that team exist?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from haldager. Show haldager's posts

Jason Taylor would be fine for me...at least he has experience as OLB. And wont cost a fortune.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rebels1520. Show rebels1520's posts

Scheffler was on WEEI this morning

he just thought it would be difficult for the Patriots financially to go get Peppers and said that Jason Taylor was a more realistic possibility

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Physics. Show Physics's posts

[Quote]did any of you consider the fact that Adam may be paying respect tot he organization by putting a lid on the specualtion for the patriots

After all he did not break the story so retorting it puts all the emphasis on him not the patriots

While we are all sitting here talking about how Adam is wrong the patriots could be in the process of extending Brady and Wilfork and shipping Seymore to the Panthers in exchange the Panther get Seymore and the 34 and we get Peppers and a pick to be named later

i think Adam works with the patriots very well and all this misleading evidence just helps them more as he takes the heat of the topic and redistibutes it elsewhere

whats in it for him...? total access to the patriots in the future.... why not they already locked out ESPN

I think we should all contemplate his motives here[/Quote]

Interesting post. I have a sense no one really knows anything. The move makes sense and the move doesn't make sense. It already has too much traction to suggest that any 'on air' statement will be enought to squash the rumors. I think the one thing that is clear is that there are often very few 'blockbuster' moves in the NFL, and I would guess this would count as a 'blockbuster'... so it is safe to be on the side that says it won't likely happen... I mean, if you are wrong, big deal, you just report a follow-up on how BB was a genius to work it out. If you are right, well, you didn't fall victim to the NFL rumor/disinformation machine.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[Quote]

I don't know how much leverage Peppers has. The Lions could trump with #33, but can Peppers refuse to be traded there? Based on discussions on this board and many other outlets, it seems that Carolina wants to avoid getting a #1 pick in return because of the guaranteed dollars that come with it? Not so sure this is such a risk with later first round picks, the salaries are on par with high 2nd round picks I think, but are guaranteed. High #1's are being devalued because of the salary obligations. Sounds like the NFL is headed toward MLB's draft system, where talent slides because of signability.

For Peppers to leave Carolina, he'd need to find that perfect team that would let him play OLB, has an attractive pick to offer and has room under the cap to sign him. Does that team exist?[/Quote]

Peppers has all the leverage. He has not signed the tender and can not be traded unless he signs. he will not sign the tender unless there is an agreement with a team that he finds to his liking.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[Quote]If the Patriots are not denying it then it's more than likely at least being discussed at Patriots headquarters,did Carucci jump the gun? I don't think so, but one things for sure it wouldn't surprise me where it's BB we are talking about.With all the other moves they've made each one a veteran player has been involved..So it would make sense too add Peppers or Taylor.[/Quote]

If they get Peppers they'll get Taylor, can you imagine Peppers with his hand on the ground and Taylor behind him as OLB both rushing from the same side on passing downs. And who better to teach Peppers to be OLB than Taylor, I think they both agree to less money for one reason a RING.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from haldager. Show haldager's posts

where did you read the comment fra A. Schefter? Cant find it anywhere.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

did any of you consider the fact that Adam may be paying respect tot he organization by putting a lid on the specualtion for the patriots

After all he did not break the story so retorting it puts all the emphasis on him not the patriots

While we are all sitting here talking about how Adam is wrong the patriots could be in the process of extending Brady and Wilfork and shipping Seymore to the Panthers in exchange the Panther get Seymore and the 34 and we get Peppers and a pick to be named later

i think Adam works with the patriots very well and all this misleading evidence just helps them more as he takes the heat of the topic and redistibutes it elsewhere

whats in it for him...? total access to the patriots in the future.... why not they already locked out ESPN

I think we should all contemplate his motives here

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from celtfan. Show celtfan's posts

Why would Peppers want to go to the Lions? He's given Carolina a list of five teams he would agree to go to and the Lions ain't one of them. Not to mention the Lions are rebuilding. They don't want to give up draft picks for a 29 year old player.

Peppers has leverage here. That's another reason his value is limited. The Panthers essentially can either keep him for a year, a disgruntled and expensive player, or they can trade him to one of five teams.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

[Quote]where did you read the comment fra A. Schefter? Cant find it anywhere.[/Quote]

Wasn't posted (yet) online? Heard him talking to Dennis and Callhan on sports talk radio for extreme right wingers this morning. I'm sure someone else heard the same interview and can verify his comments. Check NFL Network.

Tix man, Schefter admitted he could be wrong but he said that his sources lead him to believe differently than what Carucci is reporting. I generally find Carucci credible so one of the two has their facts bass ackwards.

And I agree with some of you guys that Taylor would be a good pickup for a lot less cash. And he would probably offer salary cap maneuverability where a deal for Peppers could handcuff them more. Who knows?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I am torn. Both Carucci and Shefter have been reliable sources. Does Shefter say that he heard this from insiders? Because from where I sit it seems more like he has questions about whether it can work. Not questions about the accuracy of the report.

Of course the "leak" could always be from his agent. Once the idea is out there that #34 gets Peppers, anyone willing to give up more can come get him. The Lions for instance.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Celtfan, just because he wants to be an OLB does not mean BB will not use him in different type packages if he ends up in NE.