Schefter says no way Peppers goes to Pats

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

MVP,
    I assume they could work within the franchise tag to extend the negotiation period.

In 2010 they will have two tags to work with, and likely no salary cap limitations, which means they can set up monster payouts.

To the other poster, Wilfork will most likely not recieve $11 mil per season. That is by far out of the park for NT payscale. The average NT salary, among the NT's who made the pro bowl this season and the last two, discounting Fork, is about $6 million. NE isn't going to double it, and if Wilfork wants that he will have to go elsewhere to get it.

Shaun Rogers who is better, only makes seven million, so I would think a generous offer to Fork would be between $7 and $8 million per season. It shows respect by making him the highest paid NT, but it doesn't put him into a payscale that makes zero sense. Jenkins just signed for $6 million per and was a transformative NT for NJ.

So $7-8 is pretty generous.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcoto83. Show jcoto83's posts

Solid trade for the pats at least in the short term. It would give them the most talented team on paper top to bottom in the league.
    The whole panthers would prefer a seconf round pick for peppers is garbage. I mean I understand as fans we like to live in fantasy land and make even one sided trades seem like fair deals, but no team is gonna prefer a second round pick over a first. A top 10 pick,ok. But the money isnt that substantially greater for the lower half of 1st round picks that your going to take a lower rated talent to save a mil or two. Lets be realistic here the only reason the panthers wont get a first round pick is because we didint offer one.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

All good points and interesting angles. I am not so sure about Schefter taking a bullet for the Pats, but it is an interesting theory. And Carucci has never been one to produce hyperbolical journalism. My read is similar to a previous poster's point. Carucci is probably right that the Pats are exploring the trade to see if Peppers is amenable to taking a discount in salary for a chance to pursue a ring. And if the Pats miss out on Peppers they pursue Taylor.

Part of me thinks that the Pats will extend their current players first. That seems to be their m.o. And part of me thinks that there needed to be a shake up on defense because last year's effort wasn't overly-impressive. The defense was older and regressed from being championship-caliber to mediocre. Let's face it--Peppers or Taylor would add to the pass rush. And a good pass rush masks weak links in the secondary.

I usually think that where there's smoke, there's fire. But it seems like this story got released at a point where the inquiry of a player's avilability is being portrayed as an imminent deal.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

Does the Globe read these boards? They are about 5 1/2 hours late with this story.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from celtfan. Show celtfan's posts

"If they get Peppers they'll get Taylor, can you imagine Peppers with his hand on the ground and Taylor behind him as OLB..."

Pats7393, didn't you read any of this coverage? Peppers wants to be the OLB in a 3/4 defense not a DE.

"...leverage reverts back to the Panthers as they then could ask for 2 #1's which has been the asking price for any Franchised player..."

Bozo, where do you come up with this stuff? Cassell was a Franchised player and the Pats got a 2nd rnd pick for him and Vrabel. Also, Peppers retains all the leverage because if he were traded to a team he felt was unacceptable he simply could choose not to sign long term and the team would be saddled with a huge Franchise Tag contract for '09.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohno1957. Show ohno1957's posts

[Quote]

Schefter is usually pretty good at scoops. He did report the Moss and Welker deals. As I mentioned in an earlier post the Pats will have jettison one of Seymour, Mankins or Wilfork to keep a player like Peppers...seymore, never makes it to summer camp (released) he,s nothing but a third down willie mcginnist type at this stage... mankins is a keeper but matt light HAS TO GO.. he,s nothing but a human turnstyle.. wilfork is a keeper and would be even more dangerous with peppers schefter, is wrong on this one they have been talking with peppers agent for the past week, 5 year deal .... he never plays for carolina again his short list is NEW ENGLAND.. and thats for obvieous reason SORRY ADAM, THIS IS A DONE DEAL !

[/Quote]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[Quote][Quote]

Schefter is usually pretty good at scoops. He did report the Moss and Welker deals. As I mentioned in an earlier post the Pats will have jettison one of Seymour, Mankins or Wilfork to keep a player like Peppers...seymore, never makes it to summer camp (released) he,s nothing but a third down willie mcginnist type at this stage... mankins is a keeper but matt light HAS TO GO.. he,s nothing but a human turnstyle.. wilfork is a keeper and would be even more dangerous with peppers schefter, is wrong on this one they have been talking with peppers agent for the past week, 5 year deal .... he never plays for carolina again his short list is NEW ENGLAND.. and thats for obvieous reason SORRY ADAM, THIS IS A DONE DEAL !

[/Quote][/Quote]

Seymour released? The Pats would save 3.4 if they released or traded him. But wouldn't it make more sense to trade him to Carolina in the Peppers deal instead of letting him go to a rival?

I really don't know how this is going to get done unless the Pats trade someone, release someone, or restrucure more contracts. According to Patscap.com, the Pats were under the cap by 7.8 million before the Mike Wright, Al Johnson, Britt, Tank Williams, and Galloway signings....

Couldn't the Pats make cap room if they extend Seymour's contract? Hmmm.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

m

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

Faucet

Maybe you're right, I haven't seen your other post or your cap assumptions. I imagine it's impossible or at least problematic to fit Wilfork, Seymour and Mankins under the cap and add Peppers/Taylor unless all or most of those guys take less than market deals. No one knows what happens if the NFL gets to the uncapped year--that's all just speculation at this point. And what makes you think Faulk is a goner? He was one of the most indispensible guys on the team last year.

My take on Schefter's comments is that he called around to see if there really was a trade in the works and that his verbal comments were based on the news around the league--or lack thereof. If he puts those comments in print maybe we'll all really know his angle.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Z do you really want to let Wilfork finish out his contract and hit the open market the way we did with Asante? He is a home grown talent we drafted him and we got him to where he is, he knows our system cause its the only on he has ever played in and we just let him hit the open market and HOPE he sticks around? we tried that with Asante and we are just now MAYBE fixing that mistake so are you really willing to make teh same mistake with Wilfork? we can only tag one guy next year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[Quote]I heard Peppers told Carolina that there are only 4 teams he'd accept a trade to and NE was the one of them and the only AFC team. That's why this is a big story. If you must trade Peppers you don't want to do it in your conference unless you are getting huge compensation. If the Panthers have a late 1st from an NFC team offer or an early 2nd from an AFC team, they'd likely prefer the AFC offer.

Peppers won't sign the tender unless there is a trade in place that he agrees with. PERIOD. No team will sign Peppers and give up 2 first round picks so right now there is a stalemate. This is the same situation as we had with Branch.

If Peppers signs the tender, the Panthers have all the leverage. Peppers right now is calling all the shots. I don't know why the Pats would want a player that took 2007 off because he was unhappy with his contract and is now pulling this. What will he be like if he becomes unhappy in NE?[/Quote]

The Patriots are able to talk with Pepper's agent, if they agree that once Peppers is trade they will signed a long term deal then it goes to Carolina accepting what the Pats are offering. Because Peppers has not sign Carolina cannot go into talks directly with other teams (as I understand the rule)

I think the Pats are at the stage where the agent on Pepper's behalf has agreed to some numbers if the trade is made. I wouldn't be surpriced if within the next couple of days Peppers finally signs and the Pats and Panthers and talk directly.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

If we give Peppers a big deal we will wont have Wilfork anymore. He bleeds Patriot blue and we give his contract to Peppers? It will p i s s him off. Now with Mankins I think we are doomed to the franchise tag anyways so i fully expect Mankins to get tagged next year until we can get a long term deal done. Seymore i could see on his way out of town anyways (at the end of his contract) since im not sure he gets a deal he likes from the Pats so i dont think Peppers will be the end for Seymore i think he will leave on his own but Wilfork i can totally see getting angry with the team and wanting to "test" the market fi we give anonebut him a deal. I think we need to redo Wilforks deal and then make this trade thats the only way i can see this going down with out p i s sing people off.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[Quote]

If they get Peppers they'll get Taylor, can you imagine Peppers with his hand on the ground and Taylor behind him as OLB both rushing from the same side on passing downs. And who better to teach Peppers to be OLB than Taylor, I think they both agree to less money for one reason a RING.[/Quote]

I agree, but I think that AD will go to inside with mayo and Peppers and Taylor will be on the outsides.....but I guess it depends on what package is called and where the lop-sided match-ups are....

it is a nice dream....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

MVP,

That is an unfortunate reality of these types of deals. I think one way of mitigating this issue, which has been my proposition all along, would be to give Wilfork some kind of bonus this season. Free up just enough cap space to float him a million or something in lieu of a larger offer down the road. As it stand they would have to do some serious footwork to make anything happen, so such a move could be a gesture of good will to let Fork know that he is appreciated, but they temporariiy need their resources to improve other areas to get back to the promised land.

And then they find a way to take care of as many guys as possible next season.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohno1957. Show ohno1957's posts

[Quote]If we give Peppers a big deal we will wont have Wilfork anymore. He bleeds Patriot blue and we give his contract to Peppers? It will p i s s him off. Now with Mankins I think we are doomed to the franchise tag anyways so i fully expect Mankins to get tagged next year until we can get a long term deal done. Seymore i could see on his way out of town anyways (at the end of his contract) since im not sure he gets a deal he likes from the Pats so i dont think Peppers will be the end for Seymore i think he will leave on his own but Wilfork i can totally see getting angry with the team and wanting to "test" the market fi we give anonebut him a deal. I think we need to redo Wilforks deal and then make this trade thats the only way i can see this going down with out p i s sing people off.[/Quote] NOT TRUE, WILFORK SIGNS FOR 3 YEAR 32. MIL WITH A 12 MIL. SIGNING BONUS. THAT FITS THERE SLOT FOR HIM. REMEMBER..SIGNINGS BONUSES DO NOT COUNT AGANST THE CAP SO WERE LOOKING AT 6 MIL CAP HIT. THATS HIS SLOT

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[Quote] That's a great point. Although without the ESPN Gang, I believe Schefter already has a good relationship with the Pats.[/Quote]nobody is saying he is wrong.but that he is speculateing on this report.he has no facts eatheir way.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

only thing is roger was shipped out of detroit because he was too expenisve and he did not produce a consistent effort on each play

i would rather pay Wilfork for the consistancy

Tallent is only noteworthy when the individual who possesses it knows how to use it

in this case Roger takes his talent for granted so i will take Fork

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rxmsg. Show rxmsg's posts

http://blogs.nbcsports.com/home/archives/2009/03/peppers-to-pats-unlikely.html

I agree... Peppers in NE is not gonna happen. While I love the idea I am also somewhat relieved by the report on the above link.
    Makes no sense from a cap perspective. I think it would shakle us for years...especially if Peppers did not work out.
    Huge risk..... but hey as we all say: IN BB WE TRUST
    So let's just sit back and enjoy the off season show. It's been fun so far an I expext it to continue.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Z there is no way in hell Shawn Rodgers is a better NT then Wilfork. He could be paid 20 mill per year and he still couldnt hold Wilforks jock strap.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[Quote][Quote][Quote][Quote]

[/Quote][/Quote]

Seymour released? The Pats would save 3.4 if they released or traded him. But wouldn't it make more sense to trade him to Carolina in the Peppers deal instead of letting him go to a rival?

I really don't know how this is going to get done unless the Pats trade someone, release someone, or restrucure more contracts. According to Patscap.com, the Pats were under the cap by 7.8 million before the Mike Wright, Al Johnson, Britt, Tank Williams, and Galloway signings....

Couldn't the Pats make cap room if they extend Seymour's contract? Hmmm.....[/Quote] SEYMORE MAKES NO SENSE TO ME, OVER THE HILL 3RD DOWN PLAYER ONLY!! WITH A BAD BACK TO BOOT, CUT YOUR LOSES NOW.... PEPPERS IS HERE IN 1 WEEK guarenteed..............[/Quote]

All you are doing is proving that you know NOTHING about football.....Seymour is still an elite everydown DT. You do know that he takes on 2 o-linemen on every play, right?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

the leaks could also be on behalf of the Patriots... they may be looking for a counter and at the moment negotiations may have stalled due to the lack of partners in negotiations

who knows if Peppers says i will take a 10 percent discount to go to the Patriots and win now verses getting an additional Million from a team like the Lions for example

In order for that to take place the presence of multiple offers would have to be out there and with out that presence Peppers would just assume stay in Carolina and collect his 16.68 million

either way the "leaks" will speed up the process and if i am right and the patriots and peppers are at a stand still due to the lack of offers from other teams then we will hear a resolution soon enough

Even if 34 was not enough we could trump them all and just forfity the 23rd

we have multiple cards to play here

I think the real problem is that Peppers is not seeing action from other teams due to the econimc crisis

the only idiot in the NFL opening himself up to big pay outs is Snyder

Evenone else is looking for a bargin

thank

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

that is the biggest thing that sticks out.the pats are not denying anything.if the panthers brass can get on stage,and say they havent had any discussions with any teams,and they are not aware of anything.then why hasnt the pats brass say this is just a rumor,and we are not intreasted in peppers ect.regardless if the pats land peppers,or not.are they trying,or not trying to land peppers?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[Quote]Z there is no way in hell Shawn Rodgers is a better NT then Wilfork. He could be paid 20 mill per year and he still couldnt hold Wilforks jock strap.[/Quote]

That simply isn't true. Rogers is as stout against the run at the point of attack, and does a much better job in penetrating upfield on passing downs.

If it were a straight swap based on talent alone I would take Rogers. IT wouldn't even take convincing. Wilfork is great he does everything you want a NT to do, but Rogers is a little bit better he does it all and more.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[Quote]only thing is roger was shipped out of detroit because he was too expenisve and he did not produce a consistent effort on each play

i would rather pay Wilfork for the consistancy

Tallent is only noteworthy when the individual who possesses it knows how to use it

in this case Roger takes his talent for granted so i will take Fork[/Quote]

Yep. That was a fair criticism, although it applied to 2007 only. He never really had that knock before then. He really mailed in the second half of 2007. And it looked like he was trying to force a trade. And he was incredibly consistent last season, but now he wants more money after posting a crazy year. So there are definite attitude issues that a GM would look at. Plus he is 30.

But anyone that says Wilfork is more talented a player, or a better athlete, or a better two gapper is nuts. Rogers simply ragdolls 300 lb offensive lineman. He is 30 lbs heavier and quicker, and just as strong as Fork.

So based on talent I regard him as the best.

And on balance if both players were FA, you would weigh Rogers' attitude issues and realtive seniority (NT'stend to have long careers though) against Wilfork's slight disadvantages in athleticism.

Hence, I siad, you start with Rogers' contract for $7 million and add a little to Wilfork. And if Fork wants $11 million, you just try and get a new nose, because it would be a wack payscale to give a Nose Tackle DE money.

Heck, do it in the draft now. The Pats could easily take Ron Brace, who will be a very good NT in his own right. Although he is a more classic Ted Washington style Mauler.

I am not the kind of homer that thinks everyone on the NE roster is the best at their position.