Scott Pioli Being Blamed For Chiefs' Collapse

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Scott Pioli Being Blamed For Chiefs' Collapse

Two years ago, the Kansas City Chiefs looked like an up and coming team, under the stewardship of new GM, Scott Pioli. Then, in 2010, the rebuilding job took an unexpected turn, as the Chiefs won the relatively unstable and weak AFC West. But, this year, the Chiefs have regressed from a divisional champion to the Miami Dolphins of Cam Cameron, a/k/a Mr. Fail Fast First.

What has caused this breakdown? For openers, the hiring of head coach Todd Haley by Pioli has been a major mistake. His poor decision making and inept leadership certainly have played a role in the Chiefs' demise. Injuries have also crippled the team...from QB Matt Cassell, to DB Eric Berry, To TE Tony Moeaki, and now, star RB Jamaal Charles. Berry, Moeaki, and Charles are out for the season: http://www.kansascity.com/2011/09/18/3150372/halftime-report-lions-20-chiefs.html

Though some in the Kansas City media at pointing the finger at Scott Pioli: http://www.kansascity.com/2011/09/18/3151797/point-finger-at-pioli-for-chiefs.html, coach Haley seems to be drawing most of the arrows from irate Chiefs'
    fans...who have been stirred into unrest due to their teams' awful 0-2 start, in which the Chiefs have been out-scored 89-10. Haley supposedly is no supporter of Matt Cassel. Once Charlie Weis left the KC tepee for Florida, Cassel hasn't been the same player: http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?s=7ca99173d5e8f0c633f3450892f25e51&p=7924337#post7924337

Supposedly, there's great tension between Pioli and Haley...and rumours are heating that Pioli will soon replace Haley with former Patriots' OC, and former Denver Broncos head coach, Josh McDaniels: http://kansascity.sbnation.com/kansas-city-chiefs/2011/9/19/2435074/peter-king-scott-piolis-job-safer-with-kansas-city-chiefs-than-todd    

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Re: Scott Pioli Being Blamed For Chiefs' Collapse

That team still has a lot of talent. You dont fall off the cliff like that losing one player on each side.  Haley is the problem, IMO

He is a major bu tt hole and he thinks more of himself than what he really is.

I could easily see his act gettting old starting last year.  The Players are trying to get a new coach....and will have one soon. lol

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from HaverhillBob. Show HaverhillBob's posts

It's amazing what a bad HC can do to the perception of the GM.  I think Pioli is a talented guy.  If he gets the right guys around him, he'll do well. 
    Look at at the GM in NY.  With Mangini there, he looks awful.  You have to think that the coach has a fair amount of influence on drafts and such.  Then Ryan comes in and now the GM looks to be doing an excellent job.
    Regardless, Piloi hired him, so he can take the credit for that ship's direction, whatever it is.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

no doubt if u put josh, romeo and paoli all together with another weis clone as the Oc, u will have a team to rival and compete with the pats. everyone says brady is a system qb but clearly cassell is the ultimate system qb. heck, they could bring back moss as well. tough when you have a disconnect between a coach and the gm and the qb. haley's a good oc, over his head as coach esp in the new england tradition (kinda like weis).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

It helps when you don't have an average QB which is exactly what Matt Cassell is. Chad Pennington 2.0 game manager.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from HaverhillBob. Show HaverhillBob's posts

In Response to Re: Scott Pioli Being Blamed For Chiefs' Collapse:
    [QUOTE]It helps when you don't have an average QB which is exactly what Matt Cassell is. Chad Pennington 2.0 game manager.
    Posted by tompenny[/QUOTE]

I don't think average is the right term for him.  He's not elite, but he's a good QB.  Dumping one of his best lineman is not going to help things.
    As for the ProBowl, who cares?  It's nothing more than a popularity contest.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

The problem is that the gm gets too much credit when things are going well;when it has a hell of a lot more to do with coaching and qb play. Pioli had some outstanding drafts here and he had some not so outstanding drafts here - he might be batting 500 or slightly better - which is all you can ask when selecting players. It's really the coach who either gets something out of those players, or doesn't.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from HaverhillBob. Show HaverhillBob's posts

Exactly.  Though I bet Cassel would trade in his pro bowl for Sanchez's wins. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from McFEETers. Show McFEETers's posts

You know what's interesting:  weiss pioli mcdaniel are all accused of being egomaniacs that rub people the wrong way. i wonder how they got along here so well

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from HaverhillBob. Show HaverhillBob's posts

[QUOTE]The problem is that the gm gets too much credit when things are going well;when it has a hell of a lot more to do with coaching and qb play. Pioli had some outstanding drafts here and he had some not so outstanding drafts here - he might be batting 500 or slightly better - which is all you can ask when selecting players. It's really the coach who either gets something out of those players, or doesn't.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

Sure, if you think that he made the final call on everything, but I doubt that.  I don't know anyone ONE guy in the NFL that is in charge of their team's draft.  It is almost entirely done by a staff with input from the coaches etc. This is why it's so important for them all to be on the same page. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from HaverhillBob. Show HaverhillBob's posts

[QUOTE]You know what's interesting:  weiss pioli mcdaniel are all accused of being egomaniacs that rub people the wrong way. i wonder how they got along here so well
    Posted by McFEETers[/QUOTE]
    They were not in charge.  And let's be honest, that's how Bill runs it.  His way or the highway.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]It's amazing what a bad HC can do to the perception of the GM.  I think Pioli is a talented guy.  If he gets the right guys around him, he'll do well.  Look at at the GM in NY.  With Mangini there, he looks awful.  You have to think that the coach has a fair amount of influence on drafts and such.  Then Ryan comes in and now the GM looks to be doing an excellent job. Regardless, Piloi hired him, so he can take the credit for that ship's direction, whatever it is.
    Posted by HaverhillBob[/QUOTE]

There's some comments from the Chiefs' fans base, who are clearly on the warpath:

1.) Anyone who has ever played a sport at a high level knows that if you aren't in condition to play, YOU WILL GET HURT.  The demands of virtually every sport require top conditioning.  What Todd Haley did to this team by not having them physically fit throughout the preseason is showing up today with the injuries we've suffered.  You could see this coming in the last preseason game against Green Bay.  Furthermore, this isn't the end.  In the game yesterday, Albert appeared to tweak his knee and Hali was injured for a time as well.  Until the Chiefs are in football ready condition, there will be more injuries and more disappointment to this season.  I only hope that none are career ending.  I'm not a Pioli fan, but how can these injuries be placed on him?  The Chiefs need their bye week now so that they can try to condition themself into an NFL ready team;

2.) Nope I'm pointing it at Haley.  That hotheaded ego maniac ran Weis out of town and he's reaping what he sowed.  Should be fired.

3.) Point the finger at Pioli OK so how does any of us including any writer here know what's going on inside the organization?  Funny how Clarky Hunt rarely gets pointed at if at all are you kidding me?  Hunt is NOT going to just let Pioli go on some wild spending spree and for all we know maybe they did try and sign a bunch of players that ended up going elsewhere.  Sure some of his picks have been questionable, but this is a team one season from being a playoff team.  Bottom line is the way that Haley prepared errrr unprepared this team after the lock out is simply inexcusable.  And for that very reason alone coupled with the obvious fact that Haley has lost this team he should be fired.  It's the coaches responsibility to prepare a team week in week out.  I do have to retrack a sec and think about the underachieving players we have as well, but players play the way they are prepared and they look out of sync, out of wack and completely outcoached;

4.) I remember stating constantly starting on Feb 28th 2009 how idiotic it was to get Cassel, and still alot of folks bashed me for it.  So how's Cassel working out now?  Pioli came here on the misperception that he had something to do with New England's success, when in fact he worked for Belichick. What a joke;

5.) Nothing is going to change, as long as the "Draft Genius" is in charge.  No good coach in his right mind is going to come in here, unless he has control of "buying the groceries".  People like Cowher, or Jeff Fisher won't give this place a second sniff, without total personel control.  So until Pioli goes, the Chiefs are doomed.
    I don't blame Hunt for hiring Pioli, after all he was the NFL's front running "genius" of the moment;

6.)Here is Pioli's resume:

1-Terrible draft picks (overall, Berry is exception)
    2-A golf pro for a head coach who will never be a head coach again
    3-He let his EGO get rid of our HALL OF FAME stars;Waters, Gonzales, Allen
    4-Basically ignored free agency, ZERO upgrades
    5-Failed to provide Chiefs with steady offense coordinator
    6-Bet the house on Cassel who has noodle arm, looks lost, not a play maker
    7-Turning Chiefs into a laughing stock and setting back the organization;

8.) Haley disrespected Waters right out of town.     He also cut Pollard to make a point, and in the two seasons since Pollard had 213 combined tackles, 4 sacks, 4 interceptions, a touchdown and 5 forced fumbles.  Wouldn't that look nice in our secondary right now? These guys are both in over their heads, but the head coach is the poster boy for wins and losses in the NFL.  I was pleased when Pioli came to town, and still think he may have a chance, but I've never liked Haley.  Arrogant and idiot are not good traits to pair together in the same person;

9.) What happened to that Patriot way we were supposed to get? I saw the Pats yesterday --- turning Danny Woodhead into a star and the Gronkowski brothers into players. The Pats pull in guys like Wes Welker --- they turned all of these guys into big-time players. Their QB never loses cool, or focus. I can't see anything in the mindset of the Patriots that has moved into the KC locker room. I saw pull an RB off waivers who is hungry and wants a job. And see if Ricky Stanzi has more passion about his work than Matt Cassell;

10.) I'm still puzzled as to why Brian Waters is good enough to start for the NE Patriots and help Tom Brady set a record night but he isn't good enough to be with the Chiefs. Please explain, I'm just not getting it....;

11.) Pioli was unproven when he got here, and now he has proven that he came here over rated.  Alot of folks thought he was a GM before, when in fact Belichick had final say on all personnel matters.  He got a pay raise, but I bet he wishes he were back in New England working for Belichick;

12.) This team has no talent, Pioli obivioulsy wasn't making the critical decisions in New England, Haleys ego has run off 2 of the best Offensive Cooridinators in the game.  If this keeps up he will completely lose this team.  So I guess the theme for this year is Suck for Luck!
    Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2011/09/18/3151797/point-finger-at-pioli-for-chiefs.html#disqus_thread#ixzz1YQtiao5R

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Scott Pioli Being Blamed For Chiefs' Collapse :      There's some comments from the Chiefs' fans base, who are clearly on the warpath: 1.) Anyone who has ever played a sport at a high level knows that if you aren't in condition to play, YOU WILL GET HURT.  The demands of virtually every sport require top conditioning.  What Todd Haley did to this team by not having them physically fit throughout the preseason is showing up today with the injuries we've suffered.  You could see this coming in the last preseason game against Green Bay.  Furthermore, this isn't the end.  In the game yesterday, Albert appeared to tweak his knee and Hali was injured for a time as well.  Until the Chiefs are in football ready condition, there will be more injuries and more disappointment to this season.  I only hope that none are career ending.  I'm not a Pioli fan, but how can these injuries be placed on him?  The Chiefs need their bye week now so that they can try to condition themself into an NFL ready team; 2.) Nope I'm pointing it at Haley.  That hotheaded ego maniac ran Weis out of town and he's reaping what he sowed.  Should be fired. 3.) Point the finger at Pioli OK so how does any of us including any writer here know what's going on inside the organization?  Funny how Clarky Hunt rarely gets pointed at if at all are you kidding me?  Hunt is NOT going to just let Pioli go on some wild spending spree and for all we know maybe they did try and sign a bunch of players that ended up going elsewhere.  Sure some of his picks have been questionable, but this is a team one season from being a playoff team.  Bottom line is the way that Haley prepared errrr unprepared this team after the lock out is simply inexcusable.  And for that very reason alone coupled with the obvious fact that Haley has lost this team he should be fired.  It's the coaches responsibility to prepare a team week in week out.  I do have to retrack a sec and think about the underachieving players we have as well, but players play the way they are prepared and they look out of sync, out of wack and completely outcoached; 4.) I remember stating constantly starting on Feb 28th 2009 how idiotic it was to get Cassel, and still alot of folks bashed me for it.  So how's Cassel working out now?  Pioli came here on the misperception that he had something to do with New England's success, when in fact he worked for Belichick. What a joke; 5.) Nothing is going to change, as long as the "Draft Genius" is in charge.  No good coach in his right mind is going to come in here, unless he has control of "buying the groceries".  People like Cowher, or Jeff Fisher won't give this place a second sniff, without total personel control.  So until Pioli goes, the Chiefs are doomed. I don't blame Hunt for hiring Pioli, after all he was the NFL's front running "genius" of the moment; 6.)Here is Pioli's resume: 1-Terrible draft picks (overall, Berry is exception) 2-A golf pro for a head coach who will never be a head coach again 3-He let his EGO get rid of our HALL OF FAME stars;Waters, Gonzales, Allen 4-Basically ignored free agency, ZERO upgrades 5-Failed to provide Chiefs with steady offense coordinator 6-Bet the house on Cassel who has noodle arm, looks lost, not a play maker 7-Turning Chiefs into a laughing stock and setting back the organization; 8.) Haley disrespected Waters right out of town.     He also cut Pollard to make a point, and in the two seasons since Pollard had 213 combined tackles, 4 sacks, 4 interceptions, a touchdown and 5 forced fumbles.  Wouldn't that look nice in our secondary right now? These guys are both in over their heads, but the head coach is the poster boy for wins and losses in the NFL.  I was pleased when Pioli came to town, and still think he may have a chance, but I've never liked Haley.  Arrogant and idiot are not good traits to pair together in the same person; 9.) What happened to that Patriot way we were supposed to get? I saw the Pats yesterday --- turning Danny Woodhead into a star and the Gronkowski brothers into players. The Pats pull in guys like Wes Welker --- they turned all of these guys into big-time players. Their QB never loses cool, or focus. I can't see anything in the mindset of the Patriots that has moved into the KC locker room. I saw pull an RB off waivers who is hungry and wants a job. And see if Ricky Stanzi has more passion about his work than Matt Cassell; 10.) I'm still puzzled as to why Brian Waters is good enough to start for the NE Patriots and help Tom Brady set a record night but he isn't good enough to be with the Chiefs. Please explain, I'm just not getting it....; 11.) Pioli was unproven when he got here, and now he has proven that he came here over rated.  Alot of folks thought he was a GM before, when in fact Belichick had final say on all personnel matters.  He got a pay raise, but I bet he wishes he were back in New England working for Belichick; 12.) This team has no talent, Pioli obivioulsy wasn't making the critical decisions in New England, Haleys ego has run off 2 of the best Offensive Cooridinators in the game.  If this keeps up he will completely lose this team.  So I guess the theme for this year is Suck for Luck! Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2011/09/18/3151797/point-finger-at-pioli-for-chiefs.html#disqus_thread#ixzz1YQtiao5R
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

These are great. I especially like #9...Like they can go to Kmart or something and find the "Patriot way" on the shelf next to the razor blades.

bottomline....Haley is a bum. Can him. I honestly don't think McDaniel is a HC yet. I know, I know about Denver, but I still think he has some learnin' to do.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

He should be blamed for hirring that deadbeat coach Haley.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Scott Pioli Being Blamed For Chiefs' Collapse :      There's some comments from the Chiefs' fans base, who are clearly on the warpath: 1.) Anyone who has ever played a sport at a high level knows that if you aren't in condition to play, YOU WILL GET HURT.  The demands of virtually every sport require top conditioning.  What Todd Haley did to this team by not having them physically fit throughout the preseason is showing up today with the injuries we've suffered.  You could see this coming in the last preseason game against Green Bay.  Furthermore, this isn't the end.  In the game yesterday, Albert appeared to tweak his knee and Hali was injured for a time as well.  Until the Chiefs are in football ready condition, there will be more injuries and more disappointment to this season.  I only hope that none are career ending.  I'm not a Pioli fan, but how can these injuries be placed on him?  The Chiefs need their bye week now so that they can try to condition themself into an NFL ready team; 2.) Nope I'm pointing it at Haley.  That hotheaded ego maniac ran Weis out of town and he's reaping what he sowed.  Should be fired. 3.) Point the finger at Pioli OK so how does any of us including any writer here know what's going on inside the organization?  Funny how Clarky Hunt rarely gets pointed at if at all are you kidding me?  Hunt is NOT going to just let Pioli go on some wild spending spree and for all we know maybe they did try and sign a bunch of players that ended up going elsewhere.  Sure some of his picks have been questionable, but this is a team one season from being a playoff team.  Bottom line is the way that Haley prepared errrr unprepared this team after the lock out is simply inexcusable.  And for that very reason alone coupled with the obvious fact that Haley has lost this team he should be fired.  It's the coaches responsibility to prepare a team week in week out.  I do have to retrack a sec and think about the underachieving players we have as well, but players play the way they are prepared and they look out of sync, out of wack and completely outcoached; 4.) I remember stating constantly starting on Feb 28th 2009 how idiotic it was to get Cassel, and still alot of folks bashed me for it.  So how's Cassel working out now?  Pioli came here on the misperception that he had something to do with New England's success, when in fact he worked for Belichick. What a joke; 5.) Nothing is going to change, as long as the "Draft Genius" is in charge.  No good coach in his right mind is going to come in here, unless he has control of "buying the groceries".  People like Cowher, or Jeff Fisher won't give this place a second sniff, without total personel control.  So until Pioli goes, the Chiefs are doomed. I don't blame Hunt for hiring Pioli, after all he was the NFL's front running "genius" of the moment; 6.)Here is Pioli's resume: 1-Terrible draft picks (overall, Berry is exception) 2-A golf pro for a head coach who will never be a head coach again 3-He let his EGO get rid of our HALL OF FAME stars;Waters, Gonzales, Allen 4-Basically ignored free agency, ZERO upgrades 5-Failed to provide Chiefs with steady offense coordinator 6-Bet the house on Cassel who has noodle arm, looks lost, not a play maker 7-Turning Chiefs into a laughing stock and setting back the organization; 8.) Haley disrespected Waters right out of town.     He also cut Pollard to make a point, and in the two seasons since Pollard had 213 combined tackles, 4 sacks, 4 interceptions, a touchdown and 5 forced fumbles.  Wouldn't that look nice in our secondary right now? These guys are both in over their heads, but the head coach is the poster boy for wins and losses in the NFL.  I was pleased when Pioli came to town, and still think he may have a chance, but I've never liked Haley.  Arrogant and idiot are not good traits to pair together in the same person; 9.) What happened to that Patriot way we were supposed to get? I saw the Pats yesterday --- turning Danny Woodhead into a star and the Gronkowski brothers into players. The Pats pull in guys like Wes Welker --- they turned all of these guys into big-time players. Their QB never loses cool, or focus. I can't see anything in the mindset of the Patriots that has moved into the KC locker room. I saw pull an RB off waivers who is hungry and wants a job. And see if Ricky Stanzi has more passion about his work than Matt Cassell; 10.) I'm still puzzled as to why Brian Waters is good enough to start for the NE Patriots and help Tom Brady set a record night but he isn't good enough to be with the Chiefs. Please explain, I'm just not getting it....; 11.) Pioli was unproven when he got here, and now he has proven that he came here over rated.  Alot of folks thought he was a GM before, when in fact Belichick had final say on all personnel matters.  He got a pay raise, but I bet he wishes he were back in New England working for Belichick; 12.) This team has no talent, Pioli obivioulsy wasn't making the critical decisions in New England, Haleys ego has run off 2 of the best Offensive Cooridinators in the game.  If this keeps up he will completely lose this team.  So I guess the theme for this year is Suck for Luck! Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2011/09/18/3151797/point-finger-at-pioli-for-chiefs.html#disqus_thread#ixzz1YQtiao5R
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

OUCHA!!!!  that hurts.  I feel bad for the fans as they were teased and had their expectations raised only to be disappointed again, but its far from over. Oakland is not a playoff team yet..just improved and S.D. is only 1-1 .  Sooner they fire Haley the better but the season is not over.....yet

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

The curtain has been pulled back on Piloi, and there isn't much there.  Back in the day he was credited with being clever with the cap, but his draft record was 4-F.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I have Kansas City as winning 2.5 games out of 16, barely above Seattle for last place in my NFL power ratings, but KC has a first place schedule.  Hold up, Seattle has a first place schedule also.  I expect the collapse to be deadly serious.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]I have Kansas City as winning 2.5 games out of 16, barely above Seattle for last place in my NFL power ratings, but KC has a first place schedule.  Hold up, Seattle has a first place schedule also.  I expect the collapse to be deadly serious.
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]

How do the Peyton-less Colts stack up in your power ratings, Paul?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Pioli is an organization guy who knows what he's doing, he wouldn't have worked for Kraft and Belicheck for a long as he did if he were a dolt...Although he may be the guy buying the groceries, it's of vital importance that he understands the type of players the coach needs to fit their system. The head coach is responsible for implenting the organizational phylosophy and building a staff capable of coaching and teaching the players how to play "Chief's way"...Regardless of whether Haley is Pioli's guy or not, if his intent is to mirror the Patriots style he has the wrong QB. Cassel is more in the mold of Chad Pennington than Brady in terms of arm strength, but is more athletic then either...

I find it funny when a team over achieves one year, then gets it's hat handed to them playing a division winners schedule the next year and somehow the Head Coach forgot how to implement a game plan and the GM is failing...Perhaps Chief fans should place blame were it is due and that's up in the owners box? Cuase he's the guy that writes the checks and it's incumbent on him to hire the right guys to build an infastructure to insure that the play Kansas City Chief's football...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Sorry. The only thing that has changed between this year and last (that is so significant) is the coach and the first place schedule.

It's obvious. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

[QUOTE]Sorry. The only thing that has changed between this year and last (that is so significant) is the coach and the first place schedule. It's obvious. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

They haven't even played any first place teams yet.  Buffalo was dead last in our division and the Lions were tied for last with the Vikings in the NFC North.  Just wait until the Chiefs have to play the first place teams.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from McFEETers. Show McFEETers's posts

There are injuries to key players and organizational discord added this year - apparently pioli and haley are at each others throats