scouting

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejuice1. Show thejuice1's posts

scouting

Why are we so good year after year at finding udfa gems (5 this year make the team) and yet we can't draft corners or wr (holding out hope for this year's duo) to save our life? 

Or stockpile 2nd and 3rd rd picks yet completely squander them? 

Clearly they're doing something very right and something very wrong. 

Puzzling to me. That's all

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fatsam72. Show fatsam72's posts

Re: scouting

In response to thejuice1's comment:

Why are we so good year after year at finding udfa gems (5 this year make the team) and yet we can't draft corners or wr (holding out hope for this year's duo) to save our life? 

Well said.  I think a lot of us (well at least me) share your confusion.  I don't get it.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Starting with McCourty that trend may have faded a bit.  BB seems interested in using both Ryan and Duron Harmon, third rounders, this year. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Cause we should just draft d line and lb's. sign db's in FA. Pay the men I guess. 

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Grass is always greener and all that. I look at a number of the cuts announced today and see an awful lot of first second and third rounders being cut from teams across the NFL - seems to me that it is a very inexact science this scouting business. 

And WR and DB are two of the toughest positions to project from college systems because they play in space and play different techniques in college than will be used in the NFL. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to mia76's comment:

Grass is always greener and all that. I look at a number of the cuts announced today and see an awful lot of first second and third rounders being cut from teams across the NFL - seems to me that it is a very inexact science this scouting business. 

And WR and DB are two of the toughest positions to project from college systems because they play in space and play different techniques in college than will be used in the NFL. 

Yep and the best part is seeing that list filled with players that the BB complainers wished he had picked. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

Yep and the best part is seeing that list filled with players that the BB complainers wished he had picked. 

YA. it's also littered with the players that BB did pick.  UGH

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

It's a matter of expectations. We bring in a dozen UDFA's, and 1 or 2 usually make it. And we're happy.

But if we bring in a dozen 2nd rounders, and only 4 or 5 make it, we're not happy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

In response to pats-fan-2007's comment:

It's a matter of expectations. We bring in a dozen UDFA's, and 1 or 2 usually make it. And we're happy.

But if we bring in a dozen 2nd rounders, and only 4 or 5 make it, we're not happy.

There is some truth in this.  It is a matter of numbers/percentages and also our perception. Still, we have not been successful given the ammount of trys at the DB position and we need to wonder why. Perhaps, we have grown used to success and cannot tolerate failure as a normal occurence?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

With good reason. More 2nd rounders tend to become starters in the league or at least solid players than UDFA as per %. So if only 4 or 5 make it that's not bad but not good either. We expect better for a top of the league team. Most UDFA's will never make it so if you can get 1 or 2 it's like icing on the cake but you generally aren't and shouldn't be expecting starters.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Section136. Show Section136's posts

In response to NYC's comment:

There is some truth in this.  It is a matter of numbers/percentages and also our perception. Still, we have not been successful given the ammount of trys at the DB position and we need to wonder why. Perhaps, we have grown used to success and cannot tolerate failure as a normal occurence?

I think alot of posters who moan about the Pat's drafts do so in a vacuum. Everything I've read indicates that they are in the top five over the last decade. This while regularly picking in the 20's and 30's.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

bellichick ain't stellar at drafting wr or safeties either

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Doesn't matter how you get there, its what you do when you arrive. I don't care if they cut a few 2nd and 3rd rounders from 3-4 years ago. If the find a bunch of undrafted guys who are better, and the Pats can get more out of them in the system, keep the undrafted gys and play 'em... I have no argument with whoever they decide to make the roster up with, as long as the team is competitive and in the hunt every year. No other team has been able to do that as consistently as the Pats for the past 14 years.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Tom Brady covereth a multitude of sins

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

THis years duo look solid now with very good upside. Every team has troubles drafting. Otherwise this team would not dominante the division every year and make it to 2 SBs in the last 5.

What puzzles you is due to lack of true comparison to success/failure of other teams.

THINK OF IT THIS WAY: If getting it right in the draft was like batting average, or even slugging percentage, in baseball then you would realize more readily that BB drafts pretty well though not well enough to lead the league. Just to be solid and playoff caliber. But because you and others do not QUANTIFY the rest of the league and each team in the league it FEELS like BB does not do a good job. The truth is he does a solid and very competative job but not a great, league leading type job.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

He does. But if the Pats were as bad (or average) as some here think, then why is it that some other teams with really good QBs dont have the incredibly consistent record EVERY year like the Pats? WHat happened to NO last year? Bad D? Yes. Guess team makes a difference. ANd the Giants? How do they end up so mediocre so often? Team.

And how does one explain 2008? Team.

Like it or not the Pats have one of the better TEAMS. O line is one of the best. That is 5 starters plus true quality depth on the bench. THAT makes an offense have a chance to run AND pass. THey have great TEs. Gronk is clearly all world. Sudfeld has much better hands than AH who was clearly exceptional as a threat and matchup. They have a GROUP of very good RBs. Especially Ridley and Vereen. They have a group of WRs. Deepest since early days of BB and TB duo. ANd likely deeper. Deeper than 2007.

That is a COMPLETE O. And many of these players were draft picks.

Without going into detail D is clearly getting better and more dynamic and is much closer to a top 6 D. We will see if it gets that far this year. 

No. It is not just about TB or any one QB. Though of course in this league a great QB does cover a lot of mistakes.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

In response to 42AND46's comment:

He does. But if the Pats were as bad (or average) as some here think, then why is it that some other teams with really good QBs dont have the incredibly consistent record EVERY year like the Pats? WHat happened to NO last year? Bad D? Yes. Guess team makes a difference. ANd the Giants? How do they end up so mediocre so often? Team.

And how does one explain 2008? Team.

Like it or not the Pats have one of the better TEAMS. O line is one of the best. That is 5 starters plus true quality depth on the bench. THAT makes an offense have a chance to run AND pass. THey have great TEs. Gronk is clearly all world. Sudfeld has much better hands than AH who was clearly exceptional as a threat and matchup. They have a GROUP of very good RBs. Especially Ridley and Vereen. They have a group of WRs. Deepest since early days of BB and TB duo. ANd likely deeper. Deeper than 2007.

That is a COMPLETE O. And many of these players were draft picks.

Without going into detail D is clearly getting better and more dynamic and is much closer to a top 6 D. We will see if it gets that far this year. 

No. It is not just about TB or any one QB. Though of course in this league a great QB does cover a lot of mistakes.

Port: oh I never said it was all Brady or that the Pats weren't a quality team-they are and have been for a long time and there is certainly depth and talent at some positions

my point was - and I think u and many here would agree - is that having one of the all-timers back there who is also very smart is a luxury that makes draft/FA misses more tolerable to a fan base and not as devastating to the team

it's the same luxury u get with rogers, Peyton, Brees

Sections
Shortcuts