Sea/Pitt Super Bowl Ref owns up!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Sea/Pitt Super Bowl Ref owns up!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/08/06/ref.error.ap/index.html

If I am a Seattle fan I am still pretty ticked off. If these calls (among others) didn't happen then Ben Rothlesberger's 16 QB rating tells the real outcome of the game....A steelers loss. It is amazing how refs can change history......Where is the guy who called "Face Guarding" on Hobbs again. I wonder if he can sleep at night considering we might be talking about a Patriots 4rth Super Bowl if not for his absent mindedness!

Yeah Yeah bad calls are a part of the game but when it comes to referee's apologizing for how bad they blew it(as they did in this case and the Hobbs 06 afc call) it then it makes you wonder??

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

Re: Sea/Pitt Super Bowl Ref owns up!

I am still not over the Hobbs PI's that were called.  He was on his way to being a good corner and then the refs completely messed up his game 100%.  He was never the same after those 2 horrendous calls that cost us a trip to the Super Bowl. 

The fact he got an apology letter was not reported enough in the media. All they cared about was praising manning, who should not have won a super bowl to this point.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Yeah, I was reading this myself yesterday. If I'm a Seattle fan this doesn't make me feel any better. For all the complaining I've done in the past about blown calls, that game is still the single worst officiated game I've ever seen and it cost Seattle the Superbowl. This Ref must of had a flashback when he saw that Umpire Crying and apologizing for blowing the perfect game on a horrible call.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Bad fortuitous?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

That was, by far, the worst Super Bowl I've ever seen.

Poorly played. Poorly officiated. Boring as hell.....and it also left a bad taste in your mouth if you were just a football fan and had no rooting interest, because the blown calls just made it impossible for Seattle to win that game.

Were the Steelers a better team? They probably were. The AFC was still king back then and Pittsburgh had run a very tough post-season gauntlet to get to that game, while Seattle had an easy run through a weak NFC field.

But, still, the Seahawks played them a lot tougher than I thought they would and they had a shot to win the game....but the horrendous officiating simply eliminated that chance, completely.

Who made the bogus offensive P.I. call in the end zone early in the game that negated a touchdown stopped another Seattle scoring drive? It probably wasn't the guy who apologized the other day because the article didn't mention that one.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

There was NO doubt in my mind that this GAME was Rigged on that day! I couldn't believe the calls the Pitt got in that game.  The NFL/Refs didn't give Sea. a chance to win this game.  It pissed me off then, and to hear this now, just solidifies things.  Not suprised at all to hear this....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Re: Sea/Pitt Super Bowl Ref owns up!:
    There was NO doubt in my mind that this GAME was Rigged on that day! I couldn't believe the calls the Pitt got in that game.  The NFL/Refs didn't give Sea. a chance to win this game.  It pissed me off then, and to hear this now, just solidifies things.  Not suprised at all to hear this....
    Posted by NOISE

What about that late TD in the SB against Arizona that shouldn't have been a TD? he was out of bounds, they lloked at the replay so many times they convinced themselves he was in bounds 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from passedball. Show passedball's posts

In Response to Re: Sea/Pitt Super Bowl Ref owns up! : What about that late TD in the SB against Arizona that shouldn't have been a TD? he was out of bounds, they lloked at the replay so many times they convinced themselves he was in bounds 
    Posted by kansaspatriot

The replay shows one foot on top of the other. Two feet were not on the turf. That's a college TD.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Re: Sea/Pitt Super Bowl Ref owns up! : What about that late TD in the SB against Arizona that shouldn't have been a TD? he was out of bounds, they lloked at the replay so many times they convinced themselves he was in bounds 
    Posted by kansaspatriot

I think it's a valid point that sometimes the officials go under the hood looking to make a certain call. The longer it takes officials to complete a review is a good indication that what they're seeing is not what they want to call. In the case KP brings up, that catch -- if it was a catch -- capped the dramatic game-winning drive and fantastic finish, which is what the league wants . . .  particularly in its marquee game. And besides, it was only the Arizona Cardinals (just like it had only been the Seattle Seahawks). Who would care? Look at it from a Pats' fan perspective. What is the point of engineering bogus pass interference calls to abet a furious Colts comeback if you're just going to give the Pats the spot on fourth and two?

Answer: There is no point.

Now, if we could only figure out how and why the officials decide to align themselves with some teams at the expense of some others, we'd be getting somewhere.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarveMaster. Show CarveMaster's posts

Now, if we could only figure out how and why the officials decide to align themselves with some teams at the expense of some others, we'd be getting somewhere.
    Posted by p-mike

You have already answered your own question.

And besides, it was only the Arizona Cardinals (just like it had only been the Seattle Seahawks).
    Posted by p-mike

Be careful what skeletons you drag out of the closet. We have benefitted from this "alignment" in the past, just as the Steelers have.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

I don't think a couple call in the 4th quarter matter as much in a double digit loss, but the one that got me was the no-call in the end zone when Antwaan Randle-El blatantly pushed off of his defender for the first touchdown.  THAT was a game-changer, especially because at that point the game hadn't been decided.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

I don't think a couple call in the 4th quarter matter as much in a double digit loss, but the one that got me was the no-call in the end zone when Antwaan Randle-El blatantly pushed off of his defender for the first touchdown.  THAT was a game-changer, especially because at that point the game hadn't been decided.
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188

Guess if it's the call that nullifies a 1st and Goal at the 1 for Seattle and a TD gives them the lead the whole complection of the game changes. If anything it ruined the game for the fans watching.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bchan89. Show bchan89's posts

Like Big Ben supposedly scoring a TD in the first qtr.  Watch were he pulls the ball from, yup from his stomach which is laying outside the endzone and there is No Way the ball broke the plane!!! It was impossible for that play to be a TD.  Atleast he admitted it, several years later.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

Why did this ref wait 4.5 years to come clean???????

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: Sea/Pitt Super Bowl Ref owns up! : What is this some kind of a riddle? What does that even mean?
    Posted by russgriswold

I might just start speaking in parables on here my self. Kinda like Caine from
    Kung Fu. Wandering through the threads spreading enlightenment.

Caine: Is it good to seek the past, Master Po? Does it not rob the present?
    Master Po: If a man dwells on the past, then he robs the present. But if a man ignores the past, he may rob the future. The seeds of our destiny are nurtured by the roots of our past.

"If you trust yourself, any choice you make will be correct. If you do not trust yourself, anything you do will be wrong." If you trust yourself, any choice you make will be correct. If you do not trust yourself, anything you do will be wrong."

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from passedball. Show passedball's posts

Why did this ref wait 4.5 years to come clean???????
    Posted by PatsRfineIn09

Because there's no way punishment gets handed out at this time. It's been too long. Imagine what would have happened if he fessed up right after the game. It's like when the Steeler players from the 70's started dieing left & right from steroid abuse when they played. It's too late to hand the SB trophy to the runner ups.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

For those of you who have forgotten, going back to 2005...and the Goths' controversial 21-10 SB win over the Seattle Seahawks...there was much controversy over the obviously biased officiating, which gift-wrapped the SB win for Pittsburgh. In the aftermath of that game, the aforementioned biased officiating was a hot topic of discussion: 

"As for the game that surrounded their performance, it was a fairly dull affair that the Steelers won in spite of their tepid play. Not that the Seahawks played considerably better, for they managed to squander a number of opportunities. Yet it cannot be denied that they gained more yards, earned more first downs, held the ball longer, and committed fewer turnovers than the Steelers. This combination is typically a recipe for victory in the NFL, but Super Bowl Extra Large turned out to be the exception to prove the rule. As critical as these ingredients to success are, there are numerous other aspects of a football game that help determine its outcome. One of them is refereeing, and it played an especially large part in the latest Super Bowl.

There were four questionable calls that kept the Seahawks from outscoring the Steelers despite the fact that they were otherwise dominating the game. An offensive pass interference call in the end zone took a touchdown away from the Seahawks. The receiver’s hand did make brief, seemingly light contact with the defender’s chest, but many would argue (I among them) that no penalty should have been called and the touchdown should have stood.

The second questionable call was a touchdown given to the Steelers quarterback even though it appeared in replay that the ball never reached the goal line until after he was down on the ground. Had it been ruled fourth and inches rather than a score, the Steelers may have opted to kick a field goal. Or they may have gone for it on fourth down and failed to score. Instead they were given six critical points.

The third questionable call took place when the Seahawks quarterback completed a pass that would have given them first and goal on the 1-yard line with a huge chance looming to take the lead. But holding was called against an offensive lineman. Slow motion replay did not show any clear case of holding on the play.

Finally, after throwing his lone interception of the game, Matt Hasselbeck made the subsequent tackle. Inexplicably he was penalized for throwing an illegal block on a player that he did not even touch."  http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/21343/super_bowl_xl.html; and:

http://blogcritics.org/sports/article/refs-continue-to-disappoint-in-steelers/ 

The head referee of that game, Bill Leavy, has recently voluntarily apologized for "two blown calls", which greatly impacted that game: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81996cc0/article/hasselbeck-ref-who-admitted-super-bowl-errors-is-standup-guy?module=HP_headlines   

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Yeah, but sadly if you think too hard about it you realize that the refs bad calls or noncalls have influenced so many games throughout the years that you have to wonder why you even bother watching.  We all know that a few calls can tip a close game, but I still watch.  Though I wish they would improve it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

In Response to Re: Sea/Pitt Super Bowl Ref owns up! : I might just start speaking in parables on here my self. Kinda like Caine from Kung Fu. Wandering through the threads spreading enlightenment. Caine : Is it good to seek the past, Master Po? Does it not rob the present? Master Po : If a man dwells on the past, then he robs the present. But if a man ignores the past, he may rob the future. The seeds of our destiny are nurtured by the roots of our past. "If you trust yourself, any choice you make will be correct. If you do not trust yourself, anything you do will be wrong." If you trust yourself, any choice you make will be correct. If you do not trust yourself, anything you do will be wrong."
    Posted by ewhite1065

Here is a parable from "Undercover Brother"

Undercover Brother: Are you telling me there really is a Man'?
    Conspiracy Brother: What do you think? Things don't just happen by accident! Sometimes people - mostly *white* people - make things happen!
    Undercover Brother: So the conspiracies we've believed for all these years are true? The NBA really did institute the three point shot to give white boys a chance?
    Conspiracy Brother: Of course!
    Undercover Brother: Then the entertainment industry really *is* out to get Spike Lee?
    Conspiracy Brother: Come on man! Even Cher's won an Oscar! Cher!
    Undercover Brother: Then O.J. really didn't do it?
    [Everyone looks away and mumbles]

Sections
Shortcuts