Seahawks Now Seeing The Cap

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Re: Seahawks Now Seeing The Cap

The Seahawks don't worry me. Their offense sucks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Um, excuse me Mr Capologist, but again, and again, you show your utter lack of understanding anything financial, and your unabashed lust for BeeBee has you looking at all other franchises thru sticky glasses.

Rice signed a 1 years deal in April of this year for $1.4M, with the contract having injury language. It appears the Seahawks will be on the hook for approx $750k. Period.

no where as bad as the Ocho signing, The Ellis signing. The Fanene signing. The Gallery signing. And on and on. Yet whenever anyone on this board criticizes these pats signings, you jump all over them. 

You say the rice signing is an albatross on the Hawks, yet it is no problem that the pats signed these other guys? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Rice - $750 against the cap

Ocho - $7mil against the cap

If Rice is an albatross then Ocho was a 777

Trust me, I'm an engineer!

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Guys pay no attention to rusty, he starts a thread like this every week...he has a man lust for Belichick and loves getting embarrassed when talking about the salary cap. It's been going on for years...I've never seen anything like it.

Imagine waking up and starting a thread about the Super Bowl Champions being on the hook for 700k when your own team has been on the hook for millions upon millions in waste? Did Ocho Cinco finally come off the books? How about Adrian Wilson? No big deal with him, he was probably just a low risk, high reward guy! Say did Fanene ever get himself out of that mental hospital? Probably a lot sooner than his money came off our books. Haynesworth cost us something, but not as much as Shaun Ellis...remember Ellis? That was the guy rusty said we "stole" from the jets because of their "salary cap hell" situation. Then of course there is the 100 million in tight ends we invested in (Gronk, Hernandez, Schiancoe, Fells, Ballard). I forget, are any of those guys still on the roster? And did we end up drafting, signing and trading for every corner in the NFL before eventually settling on rusty's most hated player (aside from Brady) Revis? Yeah I think we did.

Not to worry folks! Rusty's latest rage is that BB wisely "doubles down" in the draft because he foresees trends in the free agent market. You see, he's not selecting two or three corners because all the previous ones he drafted stunk, he's doing it because he realizes corner's market value will increase 7%, vs the average salary that will only increase 4%. He did the same thing by drafting Gronk and Hernandez - he realized the tight end market was going to "explode" four years in advance - I guess some of that exploding had to do with him extending both of them two years before their contracts were up, to 90 million dollars in contract total, but who's counting? Speaking of "exploding", it's a good thing Hernandez was never introduced to c-4, imagine what his off season could of been like last year? My heavens.

But Seattle really screwed up here guys.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:

In response to rkarp's comment:

Um, excuse me Mr Capologist, but again, and again, you show your utter lack of understanding anything financial, and your unabashed lust for BeeBee has you looking at all other franchises thru sticky glasses.

Rice signed a 1 years deal in April of this year for $1.4M, with the contract having injury language. It appears the Seahawks will be on the hook for approx $750k. Period.

no where as bad as the Ocho signing, The Ellis signing. The Fanene signing. The Gallery signing. And on and on. Yet whenever anyone on this board criticizes these pats signings, you jump all over them. 

You say the rice signing is an albatross on the Hawks, yet it is no problem that the pats signed these other guys? 

how did seattle acquire rice?   Did bb have a holdout like lynch in 2011, 2012 or 2013?

You just got owned kid.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Hey another Super Bowl winner screwed up their cap management according to Rusty.  It's beginning to look a lot like screwing up cap management is a good thing if you want to win the Super Bowl.  Maybe the Patriots should try screwing up their cap themselves, because all their brilliant cap management seems to get them is second and third place . . . 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

bottom line, the Sid Rice investment did not blow up in their face. period. the investment was for $750k

you can back pedal and change the topic anyhow you wish...but this thread is simply you blowing hot air, again

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

While the Sidney Rice thing is pointless, I do think SEA could see cap issues down the road.

If Lynch is demanding more money that could strain them as Wilson is due for a huge overpaid contract in the offseason.

I don't  know who else needs to be paid but they'll have to make tough decisions

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:

bottom line, the Sid Rice investment did not blow up in their face. period. the investment was for $750k

you can back pedal and change the topic anyhow you wish...but this thread is simply you blowing hot air, again

So corey dillon held out with leverage and bb dealt picks for a wr who never played in 2004 trying to repeat, huh?

Please tell us more. Lmao

I will tell you more..

You are wrong about Sid Rice

You do not understand the CAP

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

warn me now. are you going to follow me around all season and bother me?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Maybe it's worth mentioning that, according to the most recent NFLPA report, The Seahawks are 7.1 million below the cap, and the Pats 7.3 million below. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Maybe it's worth mentioning that, according to the most recent NFLPA report, The Seahawks are 7.1 million below the cap, and the Pats 7.3 million below. 

also, take a look at the Pats free agents after this year...they have a ton of people with contracts that are up, and some of them are big $$$ players.

I really, really question if they sign Solder. It going to take $25M guaranteed to get him signed. Taking  risk not signing McCourty now...he is also going to cost big $$$

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

I think its always early to call a dynasty

Seattle is getting to the point where the cap coulod hurt them

They get a real advantage there with their QB

The Pats.  BB as coach and GM have been in a class by themselves

In this lague it is tough to retool - The apts do have some big nsaames coming up , but they also have alot of young players - But also in this league you need a QB - this more than the cap will be the test for the PAts - IMO

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

also, take a look at the Pats free agents after this year...they have a ton of people with contracts that are up, and some of them are big $$$ players.

I really, really question if they sign Solder. It going to take $25M guaranteed to get him signed. Taking  risk not signing McCourty now...he is also going to cost big $$$

And then there's Revis, who's expensive even if they let him go, since his dead money in 2015 if he's released after this season is $5 million.  If they keep him, he costs $20 million unless restructured.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to seawolfxs' comment:

I think its always early to call a dynasty

Seattle is getting to the point where the cap coulod hurt them

They get a real advantage there with their QB

The Pats.  BB as coach and GM have been in a class by themselves

In this lague it is tough to retool - The apts do have some big nsaames coming up , but they also have alot of young players - But also in this league you need a QB - this more than the cap will be the test for the PAts - IMO

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

long, long ways to go. it sounds like the Pats are really, really excited about Jimmy G.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

While the Sidney Rice thing is pointless, I do think SEA could see cap issues down the road.

If Lynch is demanding more money that could strain them as Wilson is due for a huge overpaid contract in the offseason.

I don't  know who else needs to be paid but they'll have to make tough decisions

[object HTMLDivElement]

Really not seeing the issue with their cap moving forward. Looking at their cap numbers they have some guys coming off the books and with the cap set to significantly increase the next couple years it's all smoke and mirrors. They should have no issue signing Lynch and Wilson just like the Pats had no issue signing Gronk and Brady. It's all in the book keeping and moving funny money around but they are in no worse shape than the Pats as Rkarp points out we have a number of names coming up next year too and many more FA's to deal with than Sea does and I wouldn't put either team in the "cap trouble" books moving forward. Both have worked in ways to get extra cash if needed without losing too much of the bottom 2/3rds of their rosters.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

From the all knowing Miguel

Here’s a breakdown of some of the more interesting cap issues facing the Patriots in 2015 and beyond:

The big leaps: Four contracts will have huge salary-cap increases in 2015 — cornerback Darrelle Revis, left tackle Nate Solder, linebacker Jerod Mayo and tight end Rob Gronkowski. Revis’ cap cost will go from $7 million this year to $25 million next year. Solder’s cap cost will go from $2,717,429 to a projected $8,720,594 depending on the Patriots picking up Solder’s option for the 2015 season. If they do not, Solder will become an UFA after the 2014 season. Mayo’s cap cost will go from $7,287,500 in 2014 to $10,287,500 in 2015. Mayo’s 2015 cap number may go higher. If he makes the Pro Bowl in 2014, it would make his $300,000 Pro Bowl incentive LTBE for 2015 making it count against the 2015 cap. Right now, Mayo’s 46-man active roster bonuses count $187,500 against the 2014 cap. If Mayo were to play in 16 games in 2014, the 46-game active roster bonuses cost against the 2015 cap would increase from $187,500 to $500,000. Gronk’s cap cost will go from $5,400,000 in 2014 to $8,650,000 in 2015.

Smaller bounces: The other cap jumps in 2015 are more modest. Vince Wilfork, Danny Amendola, Kyle Arrington, Rob Ninkovich, Julian Edelman and Brandon Browner are all scheduled for increases between $1 million and $3 million. No one else on the roster is scheduled to go up by more than $500,000.

Big decisions coming right around the start of the 2015 League Year

Darrelle Revis  – The Patriots have an option on Revis’ April 1, 2015 roster bonus. They must decide to pick up the option or not by the end of the 2014 League Year.
    Brandon Browner – Brandon Brown earns a $2 million roster bonus if he is on the Patriots 90-man roster the first day of the 2015 League Year
    Vince Wilfork – Vince Wilfork earns a $4 million roster bonus if he is on the Patriots roster the first day of the 2015 League Year
    Rob Gronkowski – Gronk’s 2015 $4.75 million salary becomes fully guaranteed if he is on the Patriots roster the first day of the 2015 League Year. Also, if Gronk is on the Patriots roster the first day of the 2015 League Year there will be a $2 million proration of his 2016 million option bonus that will officially hit the Patriots 2015 cap.
    Rob Ninkovich – 1 million of Ninkovich’s 2015 salary becomes fully guaranteed the 5th day of the Patriots league year.
    Nate Solder – Solder’s 2015 $7.438 million salary becomes fully guaranteed if he is on the Patriots roster the first day of the 2015 League Year.
    A look at the Patriots’ 2015 contracts shows that 14 players make up over eighty percent of the 2015 projected cap number. Those 14 players have a combined 2015 cap hit of $114,033,833, or 81 percent of the projected cap number of $140 million. Excluding Revis, the 13 players have a combined 2015 cap hit of $89,033,833, or 64 percent of the $140 million figure.

They are:

$25,000,000 ……Darrelle Revis
    $13,000,000 ……Tom Brady
    $11,000,000 ……Logan Mankins
    $10,287,500 ……Jerod Mayo
    $8,650,000  ……Rob Gronkowski
    $8,058,333  ……Vince Wilfork
    $7,438,000 ……Nate Solder
    $5,575,000  ……Danny Amendola
    $4,700,000  ……Brandon Browner
    $4,625,000  ……Kyle Arrington
    $4,500,000  ……Sebastian Vollmer
    $4,250,000  ……Julian Edelman
    $3,950,000  ……Rob Ninkovich
    $3,000,000  ……Brandon Lafell
    Safe to say that anybody on that list, other than Brady and Solder, could become a cap casualty after this upcoming season.

Any player the Patriots release or trade after June 1, 2014 season will give the Patriots dead money on the 2015 cap if the player had a signing bonus that was still being pro-rated over the 2015 season. To determine the amount of dead money add the remaining pro-rated amounts and any guaranteed salaries. The longer the player is still under contract and the larger his initial signing bonus, the higher that number will be.

How much dead oney in 2015 would the Patriots have after releasing some of their higher-priced players after June 1, 2014?

$5,000,000  …..Darrelle Revis * dead money increases to $17,000,000 the begining of the 2015 League Year
    $4,000,000  …..Logan Mankins
    $6,000,000  …..Jerod Mayo
    $3,300,000  …..Rob Gronkowski * dead money increases to $10,050,000 the beginning of the 2015 League Year
    $866,667   …..Vince Wilfork * dead money increases to $4,866,667 the begininng of the 2015 League Year
    $0 …..Nate Solder * dead money increases to $7,438, 000 the beginning of the 2015 League Year
    $3,600,000  …..Danny Amendola
    $0    …..Brandon Browner * dead money increases to $2,000,000 the beginning of the 2015 League Year
    $3,250,000  …..Kyle Arrington
    $3,500,000  …..Sebastian Vollmer
    $3,750,000  …..Julian Edelman
    $2,500,000  …..Rob Ninkovich * dead money increases to $3,500,000 the 5th day of the 2015 League Year
    $2,000,000  …..Brandon Lafell
    Subtract dead money and $435,000 (salary of the player who will take released player’s spot in the Top 51 list) from the player’s 2015 cap number to get the potential cap savings. Example, Mankins has a 2015 cap number of $11,000,000. Subtract 4,000,000 from that and you get $7,000,000. Subtract $435,000 from $7,000,000 and you get $6,565,000 in cap savings. If the Patriots released with, say, Darrelle Revis, Brandon Browner, Logan Mankins, Jerod Mayo, Rob Gronkowski, Julian Edelman, and Vince Wilfork in February of 2015, they would have a net gain of $44,459,166 in cap space.

Of course, the Patriots could reach extensions with some Patriots to lower their 2015 cap numbers, most notably Revis and Solder.

I started off this post stating that the Patriots are going to have to make several difficult and most likely unpopular decisions in the next year to become active participants in 2015 free agency. I would like to end up this post with my predictions.

Pick up Revis’ option? No.
    Extend Revis’ option? Only if the APY of the real money in the deal is $13 million or lower.
    Pick up Browner’s option? If he plays well in 2014, Yes. Otherwise, no.
    If Revis and Browner are part of the Patriots’ long term plans, Arrington will probably be released sometime in 2015
    Release Gronk before the start of the 2015 League Year? Yes, if he continues to miss games in 2014.
    Keep the running back duo of Ridley and Vereen? No. One will remain a Patriot. The other will attempt to find success elsewhere in the NFL.
    Keep the trio of Lafell, Amendola and Edelman for the 2015 season? One maybe two will have to go to create cap space and roster space for the younger wideouts on the team.
    Keep or extend Mankins? His play in 2014 will decide the answer. I am guessing the latter.
    Keep Mayo? If Mayo has a repeat of the 2013 season and Jamie Collins steps up in 2014 Mayo may be too expensive to keep in 2015
    Reach a deal with McCourty? Yes

- See more at: http://www.patsfans.com/salary-cap/?p=377#.U9JtzWdOWM8

Sections
Shortcuts