Seahawks traded down after Patriots picked Easley

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

Re: Seahawks traded down after Patriots picked Easley

Good post. At the time Easley was drafted I thought it was a reach. I thought we could have gotten him a round later. Then I heard Seattle was going for him and we had to take him. Most teams know who other teams are taking, I don't know if information is leaked, or if they just know what other teams needs are. I think BB probably wanted to trade back into the 2nd round and get Easley but knew Seattle would take him. I think BB got exactly who he wanted with his first two picks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

In response to dfitzp's comment:

Good post. At the time Easley was drafted I thought it was a reach. I thought we could have gotten him a round later. Then I heard Seattle was going for him and we had to take him. Most teams know who other teams are taking, I don't know if information is leaked, or if they just know what other teams needs are. I think BB probably wanted to trade back into the 2nd round and get Easley but knew Seattle would take him. I think BB got exactly who he wanted with his first two picks.

I agree - I suspect they had the same kind of intelligence on JG - that there was a team or teams that would take him at the top of the third. People get way bent out of shape with JG but had no big problem with Mallett who was drafted at 74 (12 whole picks later) in exactly the same situation - just before the last year of the back of QB (Hoyer.) You either draft a good QB to be your back-up or you end up spending cap space to pay a vet to do the same thing. I would rather they have a few more million next year to work with in free agency then that they get an iffy rookie onto the roster this year.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from APpats22. Show APpats22's posts

In response to mossad-did-911's comment:

i can't recall liking any past draft class better than this one. from Dominique Easley in the 1st to Jeremy Gallon in the 7th, i like every pick. i believe Easley, Stork, White, Thomas, and Gallon will all make contributions immediately in 2014. Fleming and Halapio can contribute if needed, and Moore is a good project for the future. 

[object HTMLDivElement]

I agree 100%. Well I would've switched Gallon for TE A.C. Leonard but I'll take this draft. Love it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Easly is a risk but it is a Gronk like risk. Clearly a big time talent.

JG has all the things a BB team looks for in a QB prospect.

White sounds a lot like a new version of Kevin Faulk.

Stork seems like a solid prospect.

That, for starters, is pretty impressive. So much for BB not knowing what he is doing. Though I will give the whiners here the leeway to say that taking a QB in the first 3 rounds or 4 rounds costs the team another talent. The problem is that while you never want to see your 2nd QB on the field during a meaningful play you need a good #2 if you are a playoff team and you want to be able to whether an injury to TB. But I do get the thought that the pick should not be seeing the field this year - when we are hoping for a SB win.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I'd have rather taken the 2nd and 4th picks Seattle traded down for and scooped up Jace Amaro and DaQuan Jones. Picking 3 spots ahead of the Seahawks means we probably could have gotten an additional 7th in basically the same trade.

Couple that with a small trade up in rd 2 to get Kony Ealy (probably the good 7th we got in the #29 trade) the same trade down to get Stork in rd 4 and Halapio in rd 6. A trade up with our other 6th and future 4th into the 5th to take McCarron and the 6th and 7th rounders being used on Jamea Thomas and Yawin Smallwood and I am a happy man.

Let's hope Easley is the rare 10+ sack from the interior guy and Garap is WAY better than McCarron and the long-term starter when Brady is gone b/c we coulda moved around a bit and done a lot more to help the 2014 contender that is for sure.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Some good validation on this though stories about this issue have been out for several days now. I liked the pick and liked what the Pats did here, if true, which it looks like it is, I'm glad BB is trying to build his defense not unlike Seattle's, which is where the NFL is headed defensively. 

I thought the Pats had a solid draft though I don't issue a final verdict on a draft for a couple years. Hated the QB pick but otherwise liked what was done. I'd give a B- though that grade could go up if he becomes a great starting QB after Brady leaves. 

Overall still want to see a tight end and a few other smaller holes or depth needs so we'll see, doesn't matter if they come out of the draft or not as long as they make an impact. 

As for this: "I'd have rather taken the 2nd and 4th picks Seattle traded down for and scooped up Jace Amaro and DaQuan Jones."

Perhaps, but in a year's time you may be saying "I'm glad we didn't trade picks with the Seahawks." That's what makes the draft fascinating/frustrating.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

Some good validation on this though stories about this issue have been out for several days now. I liked the pick and liked what the Pats did here, if true, which it looks like it is, I'm glad BB is trying to build his defense not unlike Seattle's, which is where the NFL is headed defensively. 

I thought the Pats had a solid draft though I don't issue a final verdict on a draft for a couple years. Hated the QB pick but otherwise liked what was done. I'd give a B- though that grade could go up if he becomes a great starting QB after Brady leaves. 

Overall still want to see a tight end and a few other smaller holes or depth needs so we'll see, doesn't matter if they come out of the draft or not as long as they make an impact. 

As for this: "I'd have rather taken the 2nd and 4th picks Seattle traded down for and scooped up Jace Amaro and DaQuan Jones."

Perhaps, but in a year's time you may be saying "I'm glad we didn't trade picks with the Seahawks." That's what makes the draft fascinating/frustrating.

Of course.

There have been several instances where players I wanted in specific rounds, this being both before and after the draft, ended up not being as good as I thought and Bill's pick being better. We shall see if Easley stays healthy and can trump what Amaro/Jones give, the two guys I wanted in rounds 2 and 4 this year.

I just think every year there is a HORRIBLE whiff by Bill with a player this board desperately wanted ripe for the picking. We shall see what it is this year, but overall I don't see anything glaring at me like I did seconds after picks in some other recent drafts. Last year was solid, with my biggest complaint being not offering Emmanual Sanders 750k more, forcing Pitt to pass on mathcing, giving them the Harmon pick and then having Harmon easily still available when Boyce was selected. Sanders over Boyce = AFC Championship game in Foxboro.

2012 - Tavon Wilson 1 spot ahead of DT Kendell Reyes remains unforgivable

2011 - Ras-I 4 picks ahead of LB'er Akeem Ayers

2010 - Cunningham 2 entire rounds early when then next two picks were a real DE in Carlos Dunlap and solid linebacker Sean Lee

2009 - Chung a pick ahead of Laurinaitis, Butler a pick ahead of Byrd and Brace moved up for just as insurance in case the franchised Wilfork didn't resign. Those 3 errors all within picks 34-42.

But he has been much better lately. But just not letting Goldson leave Foxboro without a contract and taking Ayers over Glas-I in '11 might have produced back to back Super Bowls.

2013 - 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

It's pretty clear now that Seattle wanted Easley.  Overall I like the draft and has although as Spanker indicates can't really assess a draft until a couple of years down the road.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:

Trolls and BBWs exposed.

Lets wait until he plays.  

Reporters sometimes carry water for the media relations departments of teams.  We've watched it with the current president's administration for years.  Its time for you to grow up and stop believing only those reports that are pats positive and completely discounting those that are pats negative.  

Could be a great pick.  Could be Ras-I Dowling. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

Easly is a risk but it is a Gronk like risk. Clearly a big time talent.

JG has all the things a BB team looks for in a QB prospect.

White sounds a lot like a new version of Kevin Faulk.

Stork seems like a solid prospect.

That, for starters, is pretty impressive. So much for BB not knowing what he is doing. Though I will give the whiners here the leeway to say that taking a QB in the first 3 rounds or 4 rounds costs the team another talent. The problem is that while you never want to see your 2nd QB on the field during a meaningful play you need a good #2 if you are a playoff team and you want to be able to whether an injury to TB. But I do get the thought that the pick should not be seeing the field this year - when we are hoping for a SB win.

[object HTMLDivElement]

Like some of the picks they made too.  Here's hoping Easley's medical condition is a non-story, like Gronk.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

Overall a solid draft to supply depth and replacements when existing players leave via FA . Would anyone be surprised if at least one OL starts??

As far as Garrapolo goes, liked him at the bowl games and hope he gets more time in games that Mallett did.  I still wonder why he didn't and at the very least showcase what he could do. But that's something we won't know.

Always Right.....at least in my mind

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

With all the experience McCarron has in big games and his SEC pedigree I think the Pats would have been better off for now having drafting him with the last pick of the 4th round and either trading up a few picks in round 2 for Ealy or taking Crichton. MAYBE take Fiederwicz there, but I think the Pats felt he would fall.

Easley and a rush DE who is 100% healthy in rounds 1 and 2 would have solidifed the D-line for a long-time in my opinion.

Trading out of round 3 was still a solid move to get the O-line depth in the interior. Is Svitek gone? I felt there was no need for Fleming, just bring back Svitek. Solder and Cannon are never hurt, it is just Vollmer. James White seems like a good productive Patriots style back and value in round 4. Halapio, Thomas and Moore (for development) were solid 6th round picks. Yawin Smallwood over Gallon in the 7th round?!? C'mon now. Smallwood was a 3rd-5th round talent who may have had a slow 40 but just made HUGE plays all the time at UConn and would really have helped replace Spikes, add to depth at LB'er. We have DA, Kenbrell, Edelman and released a similar guy in Moe, all who can play the slot.

In conclusion, Ealy or Crichton over Garappolo, McCarron over Fleming and Smallwood over Gallon were all I really would have wanted to see in order to be super pumped about this draft.

If we were able to get the Texans 4th/5th round picks for Mallet AFTER taking Garap and made all the other picks but turned those two into DaQuan Jones and David Yankey and added a pick to select Michael Sam I would also have been pretty excited.

Sections
Shortcuts