Sean Smith seeking 8-10 million

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Sean Smith seeking 8-10 million

Should give us an idea of what the cb market is should he get that deal.

Free agent CB Sean Smith is expected to seek $8-10 million annually on the open market.

Smith and his agent anticipate a deal somewhere between Brandon Carr (five years, $50 million) and Jason McCourty (five years, $43 million). Per the Miami Herald, the Dolphins don't believe Smith is worth that much and for good reason. Although very physically gifted and only 25, Smith struggles versus smaller, quicker receivers, and Pro Football Focus charted him with more combined first downs and touchdowns allowed than any NFL cornerback in 2012.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Re: Sean Smith seeking 8-10 million

He can ask for it, but will anyone pay that much? It is going to be interesting to see what happens this year as there don't seem to be any really top scale CBs on the FA market.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Sean Smith at 8-10 million a year is a joke.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Sean Smith at 8-10 million a year is a joke.

Most FA contracts are a joke

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Someone, somewhere will give it to him. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

He's not even a top 10 CB. He's dreaming

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Maybe more of a reason to sign Talib.  He's probably the best of the FA corners out there.  If you don't sign him, you're looking at big money for guys like Smith or guys who are much less effective at the position.  Or you're using a high draft pick to get someone. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Maybe more of a reason to sign Talib.  He's probably the best of the FA corners out there.  If you don't sign him, you're looking at big money for guys like Smith or guys who are much less effective at the position.  Or you're using a high draft pick to get someone. 

talent wise you might be right but with so many red flags and inconsistent work ethic/play Talib's market is going to be limited. Besides who the heck woud give Smith that kind of money? He can wish for 30mil a year if he wants but that doesn't mean it's going to happen

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

talent wise you might be right but with so many red flags and inconsistent work ethic/play Talib's market is going to be limited. Besides who the heck woud give Smith that kind of money? He can wish for 30mil a year if he wants but that doesn't mean it's going to happen

Top corners are pulling in 6-10 million now, with a few making more than that.  So I don't think it's that far fetched for someone like smith to expect close to $8M per year.  Didn't Jason McCourty get $7.1 million per last year? LaDarius Webb and Eric Wright were both in the 7-8 million range last year.  It's just kind of what starting corners cost in free agency.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Top corners are pulling in 6-10 million now, with a few making more than that.  So I don't think it's that far fetched for someone like smith to expect close to $8M per year.  Didn't Jason McCourty get $7.1 million per last year? LaDarius Webb and Eric Wright were both in the 7-8 million range last year.  It's just kind of what starting corners cost in free agency.  

Top corners I agree. Webb is a top corcer even Wright and McCourty put up top numbers this year. Smith hasn't put up the same numbers consistently as either CB over the last 2-3 years. He deserves a good contract in the $5-7mil range but Smith is just a solid corner not a shut down corner. Talib can be a shut down corner but there's still the specter of him not being able to remain on the field whether through injury, poor conditioning, drug suspension, off field activity suspension. Even when he's on the field he's inconsistent (see game against NYG and even against Andre Johnson this year with the Pats) Nether deserves a top corner contract for different reasons and given how strong the CB draft class is more teams might be willing to fargo the high CB contracts to take a chance on younger talent. If any year will bring CB contracts back down to reasonable levels it would be this year

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

what do you think Talib is asking for? same $8-10 million, and some one will give it to him(doubt it will be the Pats)....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

what do you think Talib is asking for? same $8-10 million, and some one will give it to him(doubt it will be the Pats)....

I bet he's asking for the same but I don't think many teams are willing to give it to him, not with his history. Heck a lot of teams wouldn't touch him when he was going to be released by TB and once he joined the Pats he didn't exactly do anything special to warrant a large contract. He helped stabilize a horrible secondary but he was inconsistent and missed a lot of time due to injury. What he's going to ask for and what he'll actually get is something completely diferent

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I bet he's asking for the same but I don't think many teams are willing to give it to him, not with his history. Heck a lot of teams wouldn't touch him when he was going to be released by TB and once he joined the Pats he didn't exactly do anything special to warrant a large contract. He helped stabilize a horrible secondary but he was inconsistent and missed a lot of time due to injury. What he's going to ask for and what he'll actually get is something completely diferent

What do you think Talib will end up with?  As low as $3 or $4 million?  I doubt that.  I assume he's at least $5 million and as high as $8 wouldn't surprise me.  If the Pats try to sign a decent FA corner (Talib, Grimes, etc.) they are going to have to spend at least $5 million per year, maybe more.  If they don't spend that money, they better get lucky with a lower priced free agent who ends up playing like a top corner or a big win in the draft.  Otherwise this secondary is going to be awful . . . again. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

What do you think Talib will end up with?  As low as $3 or $4 million?  I doubt that.  I assume he's at least $5 million and as high as $8 wouldn't surprise me.  If the Pats try to sign a decent FA corner (Talib, Grimes, etc.) they are going to have to spend at least $5 million per year, maybe more.  If they don't spend that money, they better get lucky with a lower priced free agent who ends up playing like a top corner or a big win in the draft.  Otherwise this secondary is going to be awful . . . again. 

I think Talib is probably going to have to settle for a prove it year around 5M. I think the Pats may spend 5-7M on a corner FA and maybe more 32M/4 years but with it back loaded some.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Pats don't get lucky with those lower priced FA's.

I think Grimes is definitely a guy that will be on a prove it deal. I really like Grimes but he's a huge injury risk.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

$5-8 seems about right over a 3 year deal. Which means that the cap hit in the first year can work out to somewhere between $2-5mil in cap charge if spread out right. Not that big of a cap hit

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

$5-8 seems about right over a 3 year deal. Which means that the cap hit in the first year can work out to somewhere between $2-5mil in cap charge if spread out right. Not that big of a cap hit

I'd be surprised if they could get Talib to sign a deal so low and backloaded that the cap hit in year one would be just $2 million.  $5 million is a bit more feasible, but I think you'd need to be guranteeing some of the backloaded money, or the player would want more money upfront (via signing bonus) and that would mean a bigger cap hit earlier on, especially with only three years across which to prorate the bonus. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

If Brandon Carr is getting 5 yrs/ 50 millions, Jason McCourty is getting 5 yrs/43 millions, both Webb and Wright getting 7 to 8 millions a year, and Steve Smith seeking 8 to 10 millions, what make you think Talib will sign for 3 to 4 millions a year?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Cary Williams is said seeking 8 million a year. I haven't watched enough of him, but I do know a lot of my baltimore friends like to complain about how awful he is. He definitely played better during the playoffs, but he is not a number 1, nor would he even be considered a great number 2.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mia76's comment:

I think Talib is probably going to have to settle for a prove it year around 5M. I think the Pats may spend 5-7M on a corner FA and maybe more 32M/4 years but with it back loaded some.

ive wanted to offer 4 years 6 mil per since his first game here, when we had more leverage.

now, given our space i still like those numbers (with behavior clause) 

if not, if he refuses (why he loves playing here and for a winner) we could waggle (haggle) for 1 year anything 1 mil or more below the tag, because thats what i do if he doesnt sign.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

To me..this seems like a case of an Agent not understanding that the CAP has been put under control by the Owners and in fact ain't going up all that much this year.

Very few teams have a lot of CAP room and those players who are decent, not great, are going to be saddened to realize that they ain't gonna be in the group that breaks the bank.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I have to wonder what the market really will be for Talib.  Did he do a good job for the Pats? He did and in so doing made a very inconsistent secondary more effective.  But does the less than 1/2 season with the Pats wherein he had no behavioral issues and played well overcome a checkered past?  We'll see.

Don't get me wrong; I'd like to see Talib back in a Pats uniform but is he really going to demand that kind of money?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

I have to wonder what the market really will be for Talib.  Did he do a good job for the Pats? He did and in so doing made a very inconsistent secondary more effective.  But does the less than 1/2 season with the Pats wherein he had no behavioral issues and played well overcome a checkered past?  We'll see.

Don't get me wrong; I'd like to see Talib back in a Pats uniform but is he really going to demand that kind of money?

Exactly...so if Talib is a lock down corner with no on or off field issues then folks he would still be in TB.

Talib stays only if he signs a performance based contract chock full of personal conduct and work out bonus clauses.

Maybe he is....but he don't strike me as someone likely to agree to this....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

If talib doesn't like the pats price he can play for the bills or jags at his price.  We did him a favor  he played some and got hurt some.  Not sure who really won yet.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

And it isn't as if his 'problems' are in the past - he was suspended for 4 games this season! So the issues are current.

No question when he was on the field the Pats had a more aggressive and effective defense and I would love to see him back at a team friendly number. But if he is looking for long term and or big money I would rather see them persue one of the other CBs in FA.

Sections
Shortcuts